☼ strongereachday: partial success story, starting to feel normal again

strongereachday

Strongereachday, i know exactly what you going throught! I promise you: this horrofic condition passes too! Never give up, this is not how your story will end!!! Stay strong!!

Stronger: Hang in there! I'm in middle of these kinds of symptoms, too. I feel out of control, way over-reactive and defensive, hyper-critical of myself and others...Like I hate everyone LOL. And then I hate myself for hating everyone! Know that you're not alone.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this a return of depression?

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

Yep..miss serene I feel like that also

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Merged with your intro thread as this question relates to your personal journey.  Please link to your intro thread from your sig. line so you can access it easily.  Thanks

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stronger,

I was reading some of your posts on another thread and was wondering how you are now?

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I posted here. I am currently two years off (24 months) and am in a terrible wave. I have healed alot up until the wave. At around 22 months I started experiencing many great windows and was convinced the worst was over. Unfortunately a bad wave came about that really knocked me on my a**. I'm pretty sure it started after drinking quite a bit of alcohol one night. I have since given up alcohol because my withdrawal brain can't handle it. I also think overexcercise contributed. I was feeling better and got a bit cocky and started doing twenty minutes on the treadmill three times a week. Now I'm in a bad wave and very scared. My memory has gotten very bad...i have racing thoughts...impulsive behavior...and have generally been having trouble doing anything because I can't think straight...it's very strange I walk around feeling like I'm half conscious...i have almost grandiose thinking at times and am constantly daydreaming...the mental confusion has gotten very severe almost to the point of what id imagine dementia feels like...i even had my brother ask me if I was okay cuz I was acting very confused...i rarely have people ask cuz most of the time even though my brain isn't working I apparently appear normal but nonetheless he was very concerned...what is going on with me? Am I losing my mind? Will I ever come back from this?

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice to see you again Stronger, but sorry you're getting hammered with this wave.

How long has it been going for?  My first thought is that waves do always pass, cause if it can get worse due to some outside influences, it can get better when you have addressed those. 

I imagine that some of the members who have more experience with being off for a long time will chime in here. 

Do you have some self-care going right now?  It may be time to pick that back up again if you don't.  The old fish oil and magnesium...

I'm glad you came to update and get some help,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks for the reply Karen. The wave has lasted about a month to a month a half (hard to remember exactly). As for self care I've definitely been spending more time in bed just relaxing trying to cut down on obligations as much as possible so I can get adequate rest and relaxation. I have been taking magnesium and fish oil quite regularly too as well as a probiotic that I just started. I have taken a break from the treadmill until I start to feel better...when I do start back up I will be doing less intensity jogging. I definitely just can't handle as full of a schedule as I could before this wave

• 1 year later...

hey guys. Just wanted post to see if any have experience with tho. I was doing cbd almost every day for weeks n it seemed to be the only thing helping. Had son side effects but was able to ignore them til recently probably due to taking too much. I was also taking gingko which I think contributed buti feel very off now. I feel super foggyheaded and depersonalized. Sometimes feel I'm going crazy. Just very scared cuz last time I smoked weed it set me back two years even though there's far less thc in the CBd than was in the weed. Does anybody have experience with this? Did it fade?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Setback
  • 2 years later...

Titled:  Pregnancy and Tapering

Hi guys it’s been awhile. This time I am writing in response to my pregnant girlfriend. She doesn’t believe in abortion and I’m not a fan either. The thing is she has been on topamax and welbutrin for awhile and topamax has been known to cause birth defects so she stopped taking topamax a few days ago and the welbutrin is half the dose now. I told her how dangerous withdrawal is and so I wanted to know if anyone has any experience on or tapering while pregnant and maybe specifically topamax or welbutrin. We want her off this for the baby but also in the safest way possible. Thank u from both of us! ❤️

Edited by manymoretodays
added title, moved from tapering forum
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi stongerreachday, @strongereachday and welcome back,

I just moved your recent post from tapering back here.  Yes, it's been awhile.  How are you doing now?  Are you still off of medications yourself?

I'm not seeing a signature.  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help us out.

Congratulations.  Would your girlfriend be open to starting her own introduction, on site?

And I am so glad that you both are trying your best, to do everything possible for a healthy environment for this baby, now in utero.

How far along is the pregnancy now?

And,  as I am assuming you know, if she has been on her medications for awhile, it might be better to do a more harmfree reduction, rather than CT.  So this gets a little complicated. 

I'm hoping that you guys have some decent pre-natal care going now too.  I really encourage you to get started with some pre-natal care now, if you have not done so already.

We do have a topic here:  Antidepressants/withdrawal during pregnancy

And many members who have dealt with decisions around tapering and WD, when finding out they were pregnant, or planning on pregnancy.  We might not find an exact case of someone on topomax and wellbutrin, but some similarities.

You can do a search, from your main browser......just put in survivingantidepressants.org followed by pregnancy and withdrawal, and several cases or introductions should come up that you could look at.

It's tough.  I love that you came back here to seek information and help.  And we can try our best in this regard.

Way back when, I was counseled to stay on my medication, when I became pregnant.  It was an MAOI antidepressant.  My pregnancy went well, as did the birth of my son.  And now, he's a whopping 27 years old!  Doing well, all things considered.  When I did withdraw from that medication, it was pretty horrible, and well before I had come across any information, regarding WD or harm free reductions of medications.  But, for me, I am so glad I did not go through WD, during pregnancy.

Here is also an article, written back in 2001, that addresses abrupt withdrawal or discontinuation of psychotropic drugs during pregnancy:

Einarson, 2001, Abrupt discontinuation of psychotropic drugs during pregnancy

2 hours ago, strongereachday said:

The thing is she has been on topamax and welbutrin for awhile and topamax has been known to cause birth defects so she stopped taking topamax a few days ago and the welbutrin is half the dose now. I told her how dangerous withdrawal is and so I wanted to know if anyone has any experience on or tapering while pregnant and maybe specifically topamax or welbutrin. We want her off this for the baby but also in the safest way possible. Thank u from both of us! ❤️

How is she doing now?  Your girlfriend. 

Were both medications changed just a few days ago?

And again, so tough, if the topomax IS known to cause birth defects versus the health of your girlfriend right now.

Okay.  All for now.  Do see if your girlfriend would start an introduction for herself.  Meantime, we can try and help both of you, right here.

All my best.

Love, peace, healing, and recovery,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling, grammar

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, stronger. How is your girlfriend feeling now? Whether she gets strange symptoms from going off the drugs so fast, and how bad those symptoms are, should guide her next steps.

If she gets mild withdrawal symptoms that seem to get better each day, she may be able to ride them out. If her symptoms are severe or get worse over a week, she may want to reinstate a small amount of each drug and taper more slowly one at a time, probably the topiramate first. As the dosage gets lower, there is lower risk to the baby.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ strongereachday: partial success story, starting to feel normal again