Sediah88 Stopping Escitalopram

Sediah88

Hey Everyone!

I am halfway through my 5th week on Escitalopram and I have noticed i now have high blood pressure and headaches all the time. My blood pressure before the medication was normal-low to low. I really don't want to take it anymore if its going to increase my blood pressure and I'm over the headaches. I was wondering do i have to tapper off it since I've only been on it about 5 weeks or can i just stop? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone!

I am halfway through my 5th week on Escitalopram and I have noticed i now have high blood pressure and headaches all the time. My blood pressure before the medication was normal-low to low. I really don't want to take it anymore if its going to increase my blood pressure and I'm over the headaches. I was wondering do i have to tapper off it since I've only been on it about 5 weeks or can i just stop? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I cannot give you any advice, but I had to tapper faster due to the adverse response. I was on it for a short time as well...

I wish today I could have followed slower tapper...on my second faster decrease I got symptoms of paresthesia, which I have on and off still.

I have decided to slow down and hold until the other matters in my life will settle...and I will follow a slow protocol...

There are lots of posts here related to escitalopram. Before taking any decision it would be good to do more reading and talk to moderators...

What dose are you taking? I was on 10mg for two weeks, but started from 5mg...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Sediah88 ,    welcome to the site.

Even though it's only been 5 weeks ,  it may not be wise to stop the escitalopram abruptly.   Some people can stop with no problems , others experience withdrawal symptoms after only a week or two.

It sounds like a good plan to get off them as soon as is practicable.    The moderators will be able to advise on a fast yet safe way to taper off.

As Ikam asks , what dose are you taking?    

I'm curious too about what led to your starting them.     There are many other ways to deal with stress or depression and you'll find lots of ideas in the Symptoms and Self Care section.

Good to have you on board ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for the prompt reply guys!

I'm on 10mg for anxiety and panic attacks. I find when I keep myself busy i am distracted from it and everything is fine (before medication). Just before I was put on the medication I was sitting at home with my two kids 6 months and 2 years all day over thinking everything. I'm a single mother so When I'd feel anything in my body I start to freak out I was having a heart attack or stroke then worry even more that I was going to die and my kids would be sitting here while I was dead on the floor and no one would find them for a few days. I know it's irrational but I couldn't help it.

Now I've started university again and I've been really busy juggling everything. I feel good but I don't know if that's the medication or just being distracted. I still have symptoms like I'm having a heart attack sometimes but not as bad. I have had this checked to and everything is fine :)

I'm just hoping if I get off I'll be okay. I've been listening to a guided meditation as I'm going to bed every night and I've been sleeping a lot better then usual since I started that.

• Administrator

Welcome, Sediah.

You have had an adverse reaction to escilatopram. Has your blood pressure changed back to normal now?

If the adverse reaction has not corrected, if I were you, I'd taper off it. Some people are very sensitive to serotonergics.

Never simply quit a psychiatric drug. Decrease in gradual steps.

See Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram) for a starting point of 10% reduction. See how you do with that for a few weeks. You may be able to decrease by 10% every 2 weeks, but be alert for withdrawal symptoms. They will indicate you are tapering too fast.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.