SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Oceanrat: tapering Zoloft

Oceanrat

No good news, in the hospital, but voluntary, nice place, I get to keep my phone! People are nice, they won't drug me unless I want to. I'm just not stabilizing. They did finally knock me out with a sleep med last night. But today was terrible, my brain is so off. I guess it's derealazation? Can't feel who I am, everything looks extremely weird. Still the akasthia, hard to explain. Feels like I ate some lsd, but without the hallucinations. Haha. Love you FAM!

17 years on Zoloft, 47 years old now

3 years on Ativan for sleep cold turkeyed in 2014

Reinstated after 1 week, cold turkey again 1 month later with phenobarbital. Dp/dr, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, depression, still able to work, exercise heavily, be a parent

After 4 months went to doc, wanted off of Zoloft, didn’t know risks, starting dose 100mg

Rapid taper, got down to 35mg in 6 weeks.  hit real real trouble, akathesia, terror, awake for 6 weeks, hospitalization, put me in 15 temazapam to put me asleep, transfered to some swanky ocean front place in Malibu Ca. Massive polydrugged, got sicker and sicker

10mg zyprexa for 5 months, then tapered

1000mg depakote for 8 months, 10 month taper

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oceanrat

• LoveandLight

• apace41

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ocean, in my opinion, just try to make the best of your hospital stay. Take what you can from the experience. Do you feel safer in the hospital? How long are you planning to stay? How did you feel after you managed to get some sleep?

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

I think you will stabilize but it will take some time. As I see from your signature, you made a lot of changes in your medications recently (so did I), so it's natural that you will feel rough until the brain stabilizes. Hang in there and keep us updated on your hospital experience. Thinking of you. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Oceanrat, are you out of the hospital now? Please let us know how you are.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Mentor

Hi Oceanrat.     I actually admitted myself to hspital 18 months ago,  I begged the ambulance drivers to knowck me out for 5 days, but damn, woke up the next morning... (I knew the side effects of the valium would need five days to wear off, ah they didnt believe a nutter like me!).............I was running, 56 years old and ran 30km  .....  to and from hospital, they wouldnt admit me cause ""I couldnt sit at the triage desk" OMG?       ended up ringing an ambulance, and met them running back to the hospital.   (YEP, OOPS MY CREDIBILITY AND SELF ESTEEM NOW IS TOTALLY SHOT  :)  :) )

....................  was enough though, refused their medications and went home  (and took a temazepam... which they wouldn't let me have)............

my advice, I cant survive without sleep, so if they can give you a temporary med, to allow you to sleep, why not give it a try?  And damn enjoy your stay in hospital... Innever could, enjoy hspital stays, too many bad memories of forcded medication, and no one having a clue what they were doing..... thank god times are a changing.  I also cant stand being locked in, when I am voluntary.......    

Anyway  Keep posting, yes last time in hospital, I kept my phone too......... and if you can still chat with your support group here, we  that is great............

Treat yourself gently, a physical illness is easier to get over than this!!

Keep posting!

Ang

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

Oceanrat, how are you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Oceanrat: tapering Zoloft

Hey guys I’m back and well, ashamed at my journey and choices, I have to admit😪it’s been a brutal few years and my story is really long. But I’m in bad shape from massive polydrugging and I think unfortunately maybe having “money” has made it worse. I surrounded myself with a team of “top docs” in the country and well, here I am, in tremendous suffering and shame🤦🏻‍♂️Symptoms now-Mixed states, manicish, cns totally fried, terror, akathesia, tinnitus, skin feels like it’s melting off, yada yada yada. I thought for sure I’d be back with a success story by now, but what a ride. I’ve lost everything, except finances, so that’s a positive,  I’d like to share my past few years if anyone is interested,  but I know, everyone will think “why the hell did you do that”? Well I was desperate, my family and advisors begged me to listen to the docs. Shockingly you will be surprised they made it much worse and everyone on here knows WAY WAY MORE then a team of top docs in this country. Love everyone out there. Hope I’ll be accepted back. ❤️

Reinstated after 1 week, cold turkey again 1 month later with phenobarbital. Dp/dr, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, depression, still able to work, exercise heavily, be a parent

After 4 months went to doc, wanted off of Zoloft, didn’t know risks, starting dose 100mg

Rapid taper, got down to 35mg in 6 weeks.  hit real real trouble, akathesia, terror, awake for 6 weeks, hospitalization, put me in 15 temazapam to put me asleep, transfered to some swanky ocean front place in Malibu Ca. Massive polydrugged, got sicker and sicker

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Oceanrat said:

I’m in severe withdrawal, polydrugged, the whole bag. My last window was bout 2 1/2 years ago. My psych is a leading proponent for ketamine therapy. I’m not thinking it’s a good idea. Any thoughts bout this procedure?? Not sure this is the right section, sorry

I've moved your post to an existing discussion: ketamine-treatment

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Oceanrat, what times of day are you taking your drugs, and in what dosages? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It’s very hard for me to track symptoms, because of the all the symptoms and the few years of polydrugged. But I’ll try:I started to attempt my Zoloft taper in January. Using a compound pharmacy I cut from 60mg to 55, held for 90 days, then 55-50, held for 2 months, then 50 to 45 held 2 months, cut 45-40 been holding 2 months, 3-4 weeks ago symptoms got incredibly tough, been very acute, akathesia, terror, intrusive thought etc, for 3 weeks. I though I was going super slow but my brain has taken lots of damage from everything. I take 40mg Zoloft at bout 10:30 A.M. everyday. I take 15 mg temazapam at bout 1am. I have massive benzo brain so I’m in tolerance wd as well. The mornings are brutal, mixed states, throughout the day, manic, agitation, burning skin, hands feet and joints locked up. Tinnitus etc etc. I don’t really know what else to add. I haven’t had any sorta homeostasis in years, I had a window a couple years ago but it’s been tough sledding. I just try to manage it.  Thank you

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Mentor

I have experienced shame as well based on the consequences of my decision to try tapering off Zoloft--and my inability, ultimately, to discontinue the drug. I haven't been able to withstand the process. In fact, I had to reinstate and add Abilify and Klonopin. I tapered off the Klonopin and I'm now trying to taper off the Abilify as well because I'm feeling relatively stable thanks to psychotherapy. Withdrawal is tough enough without layering on shame. I hope you're able to stabilize soon. One thing I don't hear a lot of people on this forum discussing is psychotherapy, but I would like to say that talk therapy has been incredibly helpful to me in coping with depression, anxiety, and medication withdrawal. 

By the way, you sound lucid and articulate, Oceanrat. It does sound like what you're experiencing is intense anxiety and DP/DR. Those symptoms will go away once you stabilize. Godspeed. 

2000–2015: sertraline 50mg, eventually up to 150mg for most of those years. Prescribed for dysthymia and generalized anxiety disorder. Two major attempts at discontinuing per psychiatrist's tapering advice were failures; each failure resulted in the dose being increased by 50mg. Those were my only increases in dose over the first 15 years

2000–2002: clonazepam .5mg 3x/day, then tapered quickly with no withdrawal
Jan 2015–Dec 2016: tapered sertraline from 150 to 50mg (relatively slowly from 150 to 100 and then pretty quickly from 100 to 50); severe withdrawal at 50mg
Jan 2017-Aug 2018: increased dose of sertraline from 100mg to 150mg to 200mg/day over the course of a few months per psychiatrist, who also added aripiprazole 1mg/day and clonazepam .5mg 2x/day

Found SA; Aug 2018-May 2023: Slowly tapered off clonazepam and abilify from 2018 to 2020; sertraline 200mg/day (200 mgai)

Taper: May 2023, 200 mgai; June 2023; 190 mgpw; July 1, 185 mgai; July 29, 181 mgai; Aug 27, 178 mgai; Oct 31, 175mgai; Dec 1, 171mgai; Jan 21, 2024, 168mgpw

Yes I’m lucid and can fully fake it to a certain extent, but the agitation, mixed states, akathesia are really rough to manage. It’s been a long rd and my life was completely altered almost over night a few years ago, buy these drugs. I’m gonna get better one day, I have to! But trying to manage all the symptoms, feeling suicidal etc, is tough. I can’t be alone, I can’t be with people. It’s torture. I’m not an introvert either, so it’s out of character, my house was packed with my kids and there friends everyday, swimming, sports etc. now it’s all “gone”, I’ve missed years of their lives, it’s tough to feel like your getting worse too. But we got fight, vent, fight, breathe, repeat! Lots of love!

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I’m lucid and can fully fake it to a certain extent, but the agitation, mixed states, akathesia are really rough to manage. It’s been a long rd and my life was completely altered almost over night a few years ago, buy these drugs. I’m gonna get better one day, I have to! But trying to manage all the symptoms, feeling suicidal etc, is tough. I can’t be alone, I can’t be with people. It’s torture. I’m not an introvert either, so it’s out of character, my house was packed with my kids and there friends everyday, swimming, sports etc. now it’s all “gone”, I’ve missed years of their lives, it’s tough to feel like your getting worse too. But we got fight, vent, fight, breathe, repeat! Lots of love!

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

I haven’t cut in almost 3 months, still no stability or relief. I’m at 40 mg Zoloft (compound pharmacy) still heavy terror, dp/dr, agitation, akathesia. I’ve cut from 60mg to 40mg in 9 months🤦🏻‍♂️Still on 15mg temazapam, with no sleep, in tolerance wd, etc. any advice would be appreciated ✌️

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

Do you also post in the benzo section of this forum?  If not, maybe you could consider doing so?  The people in that section could give you advice too -- as perhaps it might be the temazepam that is creating a lot of problems for you?   Maybe you are getting interpose withdrawal, and that is causing the agitation/akathesia, etc.  

I am tapering zoloft now, and tapered the benzo first....  And, then when I got stable started tapering the zoloft.  9 months cutting from 60 to 40 is not particularly quick in my opinion, and if you haven't stabilized in 3 months, then I suspect it could be the temazepam that is causing the withdrawal symptoms.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Do you also post in the benzo section of this forum?  If not, maybe you could consider doing so?  The people in that section could give you advice too -- as perhaps it might be the temazepam that is creating a lot of problems for you?   Maybe you are getting interpose withdrawal, and that is causing the agitation/akathesia, etc.  

I am tapering zoloft now, and tapered the benzo first....  And, then when I got stable started tapering the zoloft.  9 months cutting from 60 to 40 is not particularly quick in my opinion, and if you haven't stabilized in 3 months, then I suspect it could be the temazepam that is causing the withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you so much for the reply! I agree with you about the benzo part, cuz that’s what started my whole debacle a few years ago. Problem is, how in the world do I taper, from a place of complete instability 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️I come from a highly athletic background, exercise was a major part of my life, now I can’t do more then walk or my symptoms flare out of control. So many layers to this onion, damn brain. The heavy agitation, akathesia, noise, light, sound, homebound. It’s so disheartening. So I guess my question is, how to you taper, when you’re already a disaster??? Hard call. I frequent benzo buddies daily as well. Of course they think, have to get that benzo out, over here, the sentiment seems to be taper the Zoloft first. I’m a **** show🤣

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

Well, from my personal experience:  I had two "breakdowns"  due to stress... and not knowing how to handle things in my life -- that ended with me in the hospital.  

Both times in the hospital I was put on benzos, antidepressants, and anti-psychotics -- as that's what they do, pile up the drugs.   In any event, the first time, I tapered the ant-psychotic first, then the benzo, then the AD. 

I am now recuperating from my second hospital stay.  I tapered the benzo first, then the anti-psychotic and now am tapering the AD.   (I wasn't on the anti-psychotic or benzos too long -- only a few months before I started tapering.)

I found that when I started tapered the benzo and anti-psychotic I was not totally stable.  I slowly stabilized as I tapered.  That was my experience....  Personally,  I have experienced inter-dose withdrawal, when taking a benzo as well as temazepam, which I took for a while -- and it caused for me what you are describing, i.e. great agitation during my first break-down.

This second time around, I stabilized when I was off the anti-psychotic, then slowly started tapering the Zoloft.  I was on 200 and now am at 45 mg....Feeling good.

HOWEVER (and I put that in capital letters on purpose) in my case I had to get to the root of the issues that caused me to not be able to deal with stress. The issues stemmed from various personal ways of looking at the world, insecurities, thoughts etc.  A therapist helped me with that over a course of time for over a year.  That kind of therapy does not make the withdrawals go away, but it helped me cope... 

Anyway, hope the above helped a bit.  It can be done. Stay positive.  If you can only go for gentle walks right now. So be it.Be patient -- and make sure you have non-drug ways of coping in place for whatever is a hindrance in your life.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right spot to post? But I’ve only tapered 20mg from 60 to 40 in almost a year. But doing it through a very reputable pharmacy. I’m coming off pretty rough psych drug damage. But my mental health is plummeting pretty badly since switching from generic pill to compound. I haven’t cut in 6 months and have not stabilized, full blown akathesia, for 5 months, very bad shape. Considering going back to pill form and scaling from there, but I’m frightened either way. Don’t know if my system is just so taxed or the compound drug is causing a reaction?? Looking for support badly and thoughts. Thank you 🙏🏻 

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Also you didn't state what drug you are currently tapering.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Any reply would be much appreciated. I’m running out of options. Sorry to be a downer 

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

Zoloft!

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, OCR.  

Sorry to hear you are struggling so with your taper.  My story is somewhat similar although not as challenging in terms of where you are right now.

I think there is likely benzo at play here but there is not much you can do about that given how long you have been off of Ativan.  I would not think a reinstatement of that would be something you want to try. It could help but it could also go paradoxical.  I'd only do that as a last resort.

Better option is to hold where you are on the Zoloft.  Not sure if I'd stay with compounding or switch to the pills.  I might well take a shot with the latter to see if it helps.

Are you taking any supplements during this process?  I'm not sure about introducing something new but I you might consider magnesium if you haven't tried it yet.

What are you doing to try to self-soothe and deal with the akathisia?

I wish there was more to say.  It's a very tough spot but know that I've seen it change for people on a dime.  Trying to remain consistent is very important.

I will spend some time reading your thread and see if anything else comes to mind.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you so much for the reply! I’m currently also taking 15mg temazapam for the past 3 years and in major tolerance to it, I’ve created a real **** show in my brain, bouncing around and tapering all these drugs. Really hard to point my ship in any good direction. Tough to soothe my akathesia, constant terror pouring thru me, I pace, I try to sleep in the shower, I’m only getting bout 1 hour a night of sleep for many months now, can’t find answers or real help, I take no supplements, eat extremely extremely clean. I come from a massive nutrition and sports background, I drink water and food, nothing else, no sugar, no grains, nothing processed etc, just whole food diet, like a Keto/high protein from fish, meat veggies

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

OCR,

Since you feel that things slid downhill when you switched to the compound, I would agree with Andy about going back to the pills.  To avoid shock to your system, I suggest a cross-taper to make the transition:

3/4 compound, 1/4 tablet for 3 days

1/2 compound, 1/2 tablet for the next three days

1/4 compound, 3/4 tablet for the next three days

tablet only thereafter

I'm sorry you're having such pain.

Note:  I just read your other post in the tapering section. If you're going to updose, don't make a switch to tablet from compound at the same time.  One change at a time.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

1 minute ago, Gridley said:

OCR,

Since you feel that things slid downhill when you switched to the compound, I would agree with Andy about going back to the pills.  To avoid shock to your system, I suggest a cross-taper to make the transition:

3/4 compound, 1/4 tablet for 3 days

1/2 compound, 1/2 tablet for the next three days

1/4 compound, 3/4 tablet for the next three days

tablet only thereafter

I'm sorry you're having such pain.

Thx gridly, yeah my life has shifted dramatically in the past few years, it’s very disheartening to think “ok, I have the right plan, all the information to proceed safely then bam” and to not be stabilized for so long and rapidly declining is tough. I’d say my main symptoms now are akathesia, neuropathy, terror, suicidal ideation, paranoia, insomnia, the list goes on. I was never suicidal or any of these things prior. It’s a mind bender. Sorry to be a downer. I thought I’d be writing a success story by now

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a slow process and hard to wrap your mind around how long it can take.  You are not a downer.  I've got a lot of your symptoms.  

I just edited my response to you to say that if you decide to updose, don't switch to tablet.  Once change at a time.

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I don’t think I’ll updose after this long, I tried up dosing in the past and it seemed to light a bigger fire for me. But I’ve literally made every mistake in the book, I was very naive a few years ago, had no idea of the harm. Never really ever been to a psychiatrist up until I went down. My gp was my presciber 

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

Has anyone had this kind of problem when they switched to compounding pharmacy? Trying hard to pinpoint the problem 🤦🏻‍♂️

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

6 minutes ago, Oceanrat said:

I don’t think I’ll updose after this long, I tried up dosing in the past and it seemed to light a bigger fire for me. But I’ve literally made every mistake in the book, I was very naive a few years ago, had no idea of the harm. Never really ever been to a psychiatrist up until I went down. My gp was my presciber 

Not that psychiatrists know any more than GPs.  

We mods don't have any magic answer, but maybe a crossover to tablet would help.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Just seeing if anyone had similar issues when switching to compounding?

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, OCR, there are no easy answers to a combo of polydrugging and on/off patterns (causing potential kindling reactions) such as yours.  The only advice I can give you is to maintain stability with your doses and do not updose or decrease.  Your system is bound to be massively unstable after all the meds and changes you have been on and off.  You have to try to ride it out until you feel stable.  Then we can discuss what you taper and at what rate.  

The only things I know for you to do to ease the pain are the things you are trying, i.e., find ways to soothe yourself.  Try things like magnesium -- I might try magnesium taurate if I were you in the hopes that the taurine might provide some additional calming benefits.  Take any change you make very slowly and start small -- your system is undoubtedly sensitive at this point.  Work on things like meditation, journaling, gratitude, etc., and do as much gentle walking/exercise as you can handle.  Keep the good eating up and, above all else, be kind to yourself.

I wish there was more I could suggest.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Oceanrat said:

I think any time you change from one form to another, e.g. liquid to solid or vice-versa, name brand to generic or vice-versa, etc., you run the risk that the system, in its hyperaroused state, says "I don't think so."  It could be part of the problem but I'm dubious that it overshadows the other issues of multiple meds and dramatic shifts.  Having said that, the placebo effect is strong, so if you have a strong sense that it is a problem then it may become one either way and a switch might help.

Best,

Andy

Thx Andy for the input!

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

• Moderator Emeritus

No worries, OCR.  Please keep us updated so that we can provide real time advice.

If you disappear for a long stretch and come back with a lot of changes it's hard for us to keep track and help.

For now, keep steady and try to calm your battered CNS as best as you can.

Best,

Andy

Thx Andy! Yeah I’m pretty beat up! 

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

3 hours ago, Oceanrat said:

I didn't have any issue going to compounding, but I did have a pharmacy make a calculation error leading me to a fairly drastic drop (which I didn't notice, overly), and a big updose (when I went to my next "drop" in dose) - I did notice the updose as my side effects ramped up again.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid