SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

someday: tingling / pin-prick / burn-y sensations around body/face

someday

That's a tough decision that we all have to eventually make.

Reinstating sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

So if you go back on the drug and stabilize, then you will have to decide whether to do a long slow taper off it.

Going back on the drug means that you will now be doing more damage to your nervous system, Lexapro is very powerful and transforming.

Long slow taper may reduce withdrawal symptoms, but many people continue to struggle with withdrawal symptoms during and after taper. 

Why did you want to be off the drug in the first place? 

While visiting my doctor for a throat infection, he saw my medical history and asked me how I was feeling at the time. I told him I was feeling great, and he said it was time to start to come off the tablets. So I went along with that. I had been on a daily dose of 10mg. Doctor put me on 10mg, then 5mg the next day, then 10mg, and 5 mg the next day and so on. Then after a few months of that, I just started skipping every other day, etc, until I was off them completely. Took 12 months. And that's basically what happened.

At the moment I'm dizzy and gasping for air. My heartrate is normal though. If anything, it's a bit slow.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• someday

• clearday

• LexAnger

• Purplestars22

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's good that your doctor wanted to get you off the drugs. But the taper was lousy, it was basically a cold turkey. I was on 5 mg for over two years when I stopped cold turkey, and I got hit with acute withdrawal then tardive waves of classic Lexapro WD (insomnia, heart irregularities, head pressure, ear ringing) months later.

During 2009 -2012, you had multiple failed attempts to wean off. If life was good on the drugs, why always attempting to get off them? Were you unhappy with the side effects?

If you are normally always good on the drugs, then if you reinstate, you might stabilize to the way you normally feel on the drugs.

Then you can decide to do long slow taper to minimize withdrawal if you want to get off the drug. But based on your history, it seems you should expect withdrawal effects to some degree whether you stay off it or reinstate and taper. 

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

During 2009 -2012, you had multiple failed attempts to wean off. If life was good on the drugs, why always attempting to get off them? 

Because I was a member on Paxil Progress and it was full of horror stories about SSRI's, so I wanted to get off them. Any time I tried, I got instant withdrawal syndrome, dizziness, panic etc.

Thanks so much for all of your replies and insight. I guess I just have to try it and see what happens...

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Yes, it is a very tough, personal decision.

Some people are on these drugs for many years and are happy with them. So they are more or less married to the drug, for better or for worse.

And hopefully the drug will always work for them. But, it is a gamble, because if the drugs stop working, it seems it usually just worsens from there. That happens so often, so it is great we have these sites to finally figure out what is happening to us when the drugs harm us. Our doctors can't even figure out what damage their own drugs are doing to so many people! It's just nuts.

As I understand it, this site is for people who want to get off the drug eventually, and to help them taper off the drug with advice and support. So folks on here wouldn't advise someone to go back on the drug and stay on it.  

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

If you would like to reinstate it is advised to take a minuscule amount of the medication you were on and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Have you read the reinstatement threads also I would suggest for you to ask a moderator for their feedback. Good luck on what ever you choose.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

If you would like to reinstate it is advised to take a minuscule amount of the medication you were on and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Have you read the reinstatement threads also I would suggest for you to ask a moderator for their feedback. Good luck on what ever you choose.

I can't actually find any of the reinstatement threads, despite searching :-/ Can you point me in the right direction, please? :-)

folks on here wouldn't advise someone to go back on the drug and stay on it.  

I agree. My intention would be to eventually taper off very slowly.

I wouldnt just assume that is wd. I would get that checked out. I dont want to freak you out, but if I had those symptoms I would see a Doc today! It cant hurt anything to get checked out.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree, get it checked out

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Oh dear someday, I really really dont want to upset you or cause you to have anxiety in anyway. I am by no means a Dr., but I just noticed you have a post about white flashes in the corner of your eye. I want you to know that these are some symptoms of high blood pressure/stroke. I know this because I had preeclamsyia with my first child, and these, especially the flashes of light in the corner of the eye, were the symptoms my Dr. told me to go straight to the er if I had. I hope and pray they are wd symptoms, but with all of them presenting, I would go to the Doc or even the E R, soon! Again, Im not a Dr., but these are not symptoms to mess with. Please check in at some point so I know you are okay.

Oh dear someday, I really really dont want to upset you or cause you to have anxiety in anyway. I am by no means a Dr., but I just noticed you have a post about white flashes in the corner of your eye. I want you to know that these are some symptoms of high blood pressure/stroke. I know this because I had preeclamsyia with my first child, and these, especially the flashes of light in the corner of the eye, were the symptoms my Dr. told me to go straight to the er if I had. I hope and pray they are wd symptoms, but with all of them presenting, I would go to the Doc or even the E R, soon! Again, Im not a Dr., but these are not symptoms to mess with. Please check in at some point so I know you are okay.

Hi JuliaMarie,

I had an MRI on my brain last week and it came back clear. I also had my blood pressure checked twice in the past few weeks and it was fine both times.

I don't currently have any symptoms.

that is so good to know!!! I hope you continue to be symptom free!

I looked up the symptoms of high blood pressure, stroke and pre eclampsia just now and they don't match my symptoms, thankfully. High Blood Pressure is symptomless, mainly, but I have had it checked recently.

Thanks for caring, JuliaMarie :-)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Someday

Here us the thread on reinstatement. I suggest you read through it and then come back here to ask questions

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/page-3#entry124025

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I am 32 months off and just starting to have some relief. I had all those symptoms and many more. I had every test done and the major things came back fine. Recently I was in the hospital for a week and all my systems were not working due to my brain not giving my organs the proper signals. Those are all withdrawal symptoms and I pray they don't last that long

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

I am 32 months off and just starting to have some relief. I had all those symptoms and many more. I had every test done and the major things came back fine. Recently I was in the hospital for a week and all my systems were not working due to my brain not giving my organs the proper signals. Those are all withdrawal symptoms and I pray they don't last that long

Wow. That's extreme. Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope that you feel a lot better soon.

I started taking 5mg Lexparo 8 days ago. Within a couple of days, my pinky finger on my left hand lost sensation at the top half. It still hasn't come back. It has also happened to a lesser extent on my right hand.

I also have reduced sensation in my throat, the area behind my adam's apple, but that started about a week before I started taking Lexapro again. I can't yawn or swallow properly without having to force it.

Hey someday, how is your reinstament going?

Celexa free 12/2013

Hey someday, how is your reinstament going?

Hi Purplestars, thanks for asking!

I took 5mg for the first week, and during that time my pin-prick and burning skin symptoms noticeably came back with a bang.

My pinky fingers also lost sensation near the top, and that is ongoing.

I also got pins and needles from my knees down to my feet on occasion. 

My throat / adam's apple / tongue area are all kind of numb, and swallowing takes extra effort, but that began before I went back on the tablets. I'm very concerned about this, considering it's my windpipe area, but I can't afford to go back to the doctor AGAIN. 

I increased to 10mg after the first week. So at the moment my symptoms are pins and needles from my knees to my feet sometimes, plus loss of sensation in my pinky fingers (mainly on the left) and numb throat / adam's apple area (but, again, that one started before I reinstated.) I also feel a little bit dizzy most of the time.

How are you doing?

Hey someday, sorry to hear about your symptoms but reinstatement takes some time to stabilize maybe months. Maybe 10mg might too activating for you, but I am not exactly sure you might want to look it up in the threads here. I am doing ok not great but not horrible. I wish you luck on your 10% tapering method, remember slow and steady wins the race.

Celexa free 12/2013

Hi Someday,

So sorry you are experiencing the bd reactions to the increase! I read a lot ppl have severe reaction to lex reinstatement. You increase a lot in a short time and I hope you are not one of those (inc me).

Pins/ needling sensation is another typical side effects from lex, my feeling is, it associated more with too high in dosage.

Keep us updated as so far my worst lesson learned is from increase dose of this drug. I will send you links for members hit by dose increase for your information.

My prayer for you

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

I'm having burning sensations everywhere and also electric shock sensations everywhere (except for my brain - I have never had brain zaps) Plus pins and needles in both legs beneath my knees and numbness in some of my fingers.

It's so uncomfortable sometimes but as long as it's just withdrawal and nothing more serious then I can deal with it.

2015 has turned out to be a complete mind-f**k of a year, I have to say. 

You're back on 10 mg of Lexapro, correct?

Could you update your signature to show that  you're back on 10 mg Lexapro - this way you'll get better feedback -

I hope you stabilize soon on your reinstatement -

Sometimes reinstatement works, sometimes it doesn't -

24 months SSRI-free  

You're back on 10 mg of Lexapro, correct?

Could you update your signature to show that  you're back on 10 mg Lexapro - this way you'll get better feedback -

I hope you stabilize soon on your reinstatement -

Sometimes reinstatement works, sometimes it doesn't -

Thank you, clearday. I have overhauled my signature. I hope you are well today.

This Lexapro is a tough one when it comes to WD. I've had a difficult month.

Interesting that my worst symptoms are now above my neck - head pressure, ear pressure, ear and head ringing and buzzing, wavy brain sensations -

And yours are mostly in your body, below your head.

I believe that my head symptoms are the same damage that are causing your symptoms, just that the nerves in my head took most of the damage.

It's like they're agitated and humming, and just won't stop.

I did have severe insomnia and bodily symptoms during my first year of Lexapro WD - heart palpitations, tightness in chest, gastrointestinal agitation, slight limb numbness - but those are long gone and healed. My head symptoms have improved a lot too, but recovery up there is taking longer. And they only hit me with a delayed onset, six months ago. Weird stuff. 

24 months SSRI-free  

I have a constant feeling of bugs crawling on me.  Sometimes it's better than other times.  Usually in my hair and on my face and neck but at the moment, on my arms and shoulders too.  I've also had the pin prick feeling on and off.  I honestly can't believe any of this.

In December 2008, I hit menopause and had a nervous breakdown. After 6 months, I couldn't take it anymore so in June of 2009 I saw a psychiatrist and was given 100 milligrams of Zoloft. Way too much. That Dr refused to get me off of some of it so I found another Dr. who I'm still with.  She got me down to 50 milligrams.  Pure concentrated hell!  Stayed on 50 milligrams for a few years.

October of 2013 - 44 milligrams.  

January 1st 2014- 37 1/2 milligrams.

March 1st 2014 - 31 milligrams.

April 10 2014 - 25 milligrams.

Yes, my Dr. had me go too much too fast.  Almost a year later, I'm still in withdrawal hell and holding at 25 milligrams.

6 1/2 years in one corner of hell or another and still counting.

Nitty girl,

You are not alone! I have been and am at this moment experiencing this incredible fun sensation! So uncomfortable mixed with numbness and deep pain and deedling pain all over my scalp, face, neck, shoulder, back. It also is companiied by brain shiever and nonfunctional, really disturbing and disabling.

I lost count if it's from too much or too less or change of dose.

I thought this is unique for lexapro :(

Do you find any association of it with anything, and any other idea as how you handle it?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

This Lexapro is a tough one when it comes to WD. I've had a difficult month.

Interesting that my worst symptoms are now above my neck - head pressure, ear pressure, ear and head ringing and buzzing, wavy brain sensations -

And yours are mostly in your body, below your head.

I believe that my head symptoms are the same damage that are causing your symptoms, just that the nerves in my head took most of the damage.

It's like they're agitated and humming, and just won't stop.

I did have severe insomnia and bodily symptoms during my first year of Lexapro WD - heart palpitations, tightness in chest, gastrointestinal agitation, slight limb numbness - but those are long gone and healed. My head symptoms have improved a lot too, but recovery up there is taking longer. And they only hit me with a delayed onset, six months ago. Weird stuff. 

My symptoms are in my head also, including dizziness when I move my head, tension in my neck, burning and electric zap sensations in my scalp, inside my nose, my ears, all around my head, face and neck really. The numbness in my throat and neck is still there a little bit too. 

I'm so sorry to hear about all of your problems and how long you've been experiencing them for. How are you doing today?

I have a constant feeling of bugs crawling on me.  Sometimes it's better than other times.  Usually in my hair and on my face and neck but at the moment, on my arms and shoulders too.  I've also had the pin prick feeling on and off.  I honestly can't believe any of this.

I used to get the bugs crawling sensation when as a symptom of anxiety, but I haven't had it as a symptom of withdrawal. How are you doing today?

Nitty girl,

You are not alone! I have been and am at this moment experiencing this incredible fun sensation! So uncomfortable mixed with numbness and deep pain and deedling pain all over my scalp, face, neck, shoulder, back. It also is companiied by brain shiever and nonfunctional, really disturbing and disabling.

I lost count if it's from too much or too less or change of dose.

I thought this is unique for lexapro :(

Do you find any association of it with anything, and any other idea as how you handle it?

How are you doing today, LexAnger?

Guys, the torture for me is mainly because I can't help but fear that the symptoms I'm having are of something like MS or ALS or something. 

I know that I've had brain and neck MRI's which both came back clear, but what if the problem is actually along my spinal cord below my neck? I would need an MRI of my entire spine to rule that out. I can't afford further MRIs.

And my neurologist appointment isn't until August. And even then, I know that muscular diseases are very difficult to diagnose, for some reason. So will I even get any answers soon or will I be in this terrified state for years and years?

I've also noticed recently that the electric zap sensations I'm experiencing are instantly exacerbated when I move my neck, and I know that's a symptom of MS.

My fingers (and also my toes, to a smaller extent) are becoming more and more numb, and my burning sensations around my body are getting worse this week. Often times the pin-prick sensations are actually quite painful too, like I've been stabbed with a needle. The only thing I haven't experienced ever are brain zaps. I almost wish I had experienced them, as that would help to convince me that these symptoms are because of the Lexapro and not something more serious.

I spend most of every day consumed by thoughts of what my future will be like.... i.e. is this the beginning of a progressive degenerative muscular disease? How bad is it going to be? I'm currently single, and I would not bring someone into my life if my body is about to start failing me, so am I going to be alone forever? Is there a world of pain awaiting for me in my future? After all, I can't be certain that these symptoms are not some serious disease, and now I'm consumed by the thoughts. I feel like my life is currently on hold, and I'm terrified that this could be the beginning of a permanent, painful road.

I can assure you theses are all caused by lexapro!

I understand why you think other possibilities as you have them constantly on and off the drug. Mine sounds very similar to yours, the intense, sharp pain like many needles are stabbed into my entire head, making my heart shaking and want someone take my life to stop the pain. I actually had the worst needling pain today, long lasting, super severe, and to breath deep to endure. But I had breaks of no pain either in the evenings most days, or none at all for some days, so I know it's not permenant it's just from the dysfunction of the nerve system caused by the drug. I actually prefer other causes as this one is the worst of all, also hardest to deal.

If the pain is tolerable, you can relax not adding more stress from worries of other diseases.

How are you doing with the reinstates? Any improvement or changes?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Classic SSRI withdrawal. So many other stories of SSRI-induced paresthesia on here, it's sad every time another one pops up, seems like every week a couple new cases. 

The onset of your symptoms occurred in conjunction with Lexapro use and discontinuance, like everyone else.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Your drug history, timing of onset, and types of symptoms are quacking very loudly, "Lexapro Withdrawal".

Right now you SHOULD be in Lexapro withdrawal, and guess what? You are. You didn't wind up on this forum by accident, you're in the right place. Going back on the SSRI, in your case Lexapro, sometimes helps withdrawal, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes reinstating takes weeks to reduce WD symptoms. Sometimes it makes things worse.

I am in Lexapro withdrawal. If I move my neck, my head ringing gets worse too. I've had scalp numbness. The left side of my body had been numb. My head ringing is like paresthesia of the brain. Instead of the phantom sensation of touch that occurs with pins and needles, I get the phantom sensation of sound. I don't need any MRI to show me that my case is classic SSRI WD. I have zero worry that it is anything else but Lexapro WD, and never had any doubt about it. I DO worry how long my LEXAPRO WITHDRAWAL will take to heal, and if I will be stuck with some permanent damage. I have done much healing and improving, so I am hopeful. Still very difficult.

The cause and effect is quite obvious. Your signature says over the years as you stopped Lexapro you had "instant withdrawal side effects" which included pins and needles.

Lexapro withdrawal is a bad enough scenario. You will have a tough road ahead with this Lexapro withdrawal, you don't need to conjure up other diseases to replace Lexapro withdrawal.  Lexapro withdrawal IS a serious illness. And it will take a long time to heal. 

I hope you have a window soon. I hope your reinstatement eventually helps your symptoms. Best of luck to you, my fellow Lexapro withdrawal traveler -

24 months SSRI-free  

I can assure you theses are all caused by lexapro!

I understand why you think other possibilities as you have them constantly on and off the drug. Mine sounds very similar to yours, the intense, sharp pain like many needles are stabbed into my entire head, making my heart shaking and want someone take my life to stop the pain. I actually had the worst needling pain today, long lasting, super severe, and to breath deep to endure. But I had breaks of no pain either in the evenings most days, or none at all for some days, so I know it's not permenant it's just from the dysfunction of the nerve system caused by the drug. I actually prefer other causes as this one is the worst of all, also hardest to deal.

If the pain is tolerable, you can relax not adding more stress from worries of other diseases.

How are you doing with the reinstates? Any improvement or changes?

I hope your symptoms improve soon. Take some comfort in knowing that it is caused by withdrawal, and knowing that withdrawal can get better.

Since I reinstated Lexapro, my symptoms subsided but then came back, and also new ones started, such as numbness in my fingers, plus more dizziness.

Classic SSRI withdrawal. So many other stories of SSRI-induced paresthesia on here, it's sad every time another one pops up, seems like every week a couple new cases. 

The onset of your symptoms occurred in conjunction with Lexapro use and discontinuance, like everyone else.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Your drug history, timing of onset, and types of symptoms is quacking very loudly, "Lexapro Withdrawal".

Right now you SHOULD be in Lexapro withdrawal, and guess what? You are. You didn't wind up on this forum by accident, you're in the right place. Going back on the SSRI, in your case Lexapro, sometimes helps withdrawal, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes reinstating takes weeks to reduce WD symptoms. Sometimes it makes things worse.

I am in Lexapro withdrawal. If I move my neck, my head ringing gets worse too. I've had scalp numbness. The left side of my body had been numb. My head ringing is like paresthesia of the brain. Instead of the phantom sensation of touch that occurs with pins and needles, I get the phantom sensation of sound. I don't need any MRI to show me that my case is classic SSRI WD. I have zero worry that it is anything else but Lexapro WD, and never had any doubt about it. I DO worry how long my LEXAPRO WITHDRAWAL will take to heal, and if I will be stuck with some permanent damage. I have done much healing and improving, so I am hopeful. Still very difficult.

The cause and effect is quite obvious. Your signature says over the years as you stopped Lexapro you had "instant withdrawal side effects" which included pins and needles.

Lexapro withdrawal is a bad enough scenario. You will have a tough road ahead with this Lexapro withdrawal, you don't need to conjure up other diseases to replace Lexapro withdrawal.  Lexapro withdrawal IS a serious illness. And it will take a long time to heal. 

I hope you have a window soon. I hope your reinstatement eventually helps your symptoms. Best of luck to you -

Thank you, clearday. I always appreciate your input, because you seem to have a lot of experience talking about this topic, whereas I am new to it all myself. I have been getting ringing in my ears the past few weeks too. The past few days it has been worse than ever, but not too disturbing. I am glad that you have healed somewhat and you are improving. I am so grateful for this website and forum because in the real world I feel completely alone with my thoughts and fears. I hope we can all continue to be here for each other, even from different parts of the globe.

Hope the reinstate works for you after a while. I got hit on a much higher level 360 degree after increasing the dose from 2.7 to 4.5. New symptoms are countless and numbness is one of them lasted many months.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017