someday: tingling / pin-prick / burn-y sensations around body/face

someday

My brother was bothered for a long time with the feeling that his throat was closing off. It's an anxiety symptom. The important thing to know is that your throat is not closing off, you are not going to choke. Very difficult to convince yourself of this, though. When it happens you have to just allow it to be what it is, so to speak, and at the same time try and stay simply aware of how it feels. No judgments or worrying about it. This helps it begin to fade and teaches you not to be afraid of it next time. The more times you treat it this way, the weaker its affect on you. Eventually it stops occurring altogether or it just doesn't matter to you anymore. This method also works with all other anxiety symptoms and even helps with depression and physical pain.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• someday

• clearday

• LexAnger

• Purplestars22

Top Posters In This Topic

I always appreciate your input, because you seem to have a lot of experience talking about this topic, whereas I am new to it all myself. I have been getting ringing in my ears the past few weeks too. 

It helps to read the multitude of stories on this site. Use the search engine for topics such as "paresthesia", "pins and needles", "burning skin" etc and see what threads you come up with to read over and help confirm what you know.

Like all of us, you spent years basting your brain in a powerful nerve altering chemical. We have all found out that this has caused us serious nerve damage. We all compare our symptoms and progression of withdrawal and see that it all makes sense, it fits like a glove. There are things in life we are unsure of, but one thing I can absolutely be sure of is that I am in SSRI WD. This is based on all the evidence I have gathered, the hundreds of stories that confirm over and over that I am sick due to use of powerful psychotropic drugs.

Also, I have been through this before with Prozac, years ago. These drugs are extremely harmful for many people, no doubt about it. Plenty of doctors agree, and are publishing papers that support this fact.

What makes more sense - that exposing yourself to years of this nerve-transforming drug has caused your symptoms, the same symptoms that most other people also get after being on this drug - or, that you are suffering from a mysterious illness pulled out of the dark imaginings of your mind, based on no evidence?

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• 3 weeks later...

For the past 48 hours, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep, I've been getting burning sensations that are far more intense and painful than ever before. This seemed to just come out of nowhere. I also feel slightly dizzy almost all of the time. My legs feel weird regularly too, like a strange tingly sensation, it's hard to describe. And I think I have developed further numb areas around my body. The new painful burning sensations are bothering me the most, though. I'm so so fed up. I hate 2015. I really hate this year.

I'm just venting. I am always grateful to have the health that I do have, and my heart goes out to and my thoughts are with those people who are battling with their health every day. Those are the true heroes, and they are also the people that our disgraceful society often leaves to fend for themselves. I just don't understand this world at all. I'm just so tired.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Sorry to hear -

So, has your reinstatement failed? Does this mean that you are now sensitized to Lexapro?

How do you plan to proceed from here?

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Sorry to hear -

So, has your reinstatement failed? Does this mean that you are now sensitized to Lexapro?

How do you plan to proceed from here?

I honestly don't know. My feelings of anxiety itself has decreased considerably since reinstating the lexapro (I was incredibly anxious in the months leading up to reinstatement) and I am noticing the tingling/burning sensations less and less, although that could just be me getting used to them, it's hard for me to tell. It's just the past week where these really intense burning sensations have begun. Although, the dizziness persists, as does the loss of sensation in random parts of my body.

My plan was to just keep taking the Lexapro and see if the symptoms subside. I know that it's different for everybody, so maybe my symptoms will take longer to subside. I don't really know what else to do. I am prepared to deal with the physical symptoms. I don't really know what other options I have. I may not be thinking clearly at the moment.

As always, thank you much for replying to me.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

I hope you feel better soon -

Recently, someone tried reinstatement, and symptoms got worse -

So they were suggested to cut the dose in half, in case the reinstatement dose was too high.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8464-jaclyn-debilitating-withdrawals-vision-disequilibrium-confusion-etc/page-2

I'm not saying that's what you should do, because I know nothing about reinstatement.

24 months SSRI-free  

• 5 months later...

The past month, I've gone through phases (two or three days at a time) where I am exhausted beyond my comprehension. Exhausted throughout the day. It feels like I've hiked a mountain, when I've barely done anything at all. It feels like a gorilla is pushing me down with a giant hand, keeping me from being able to stand up.

I once forgot to take my tablet for two nights in a row. I then only had 5 tablets left to cover me for ten days (due to financial constraints) so I've had to "budget" with them, meaning skipping days. 

But even before having to skip days, I've been experiencing these symptoms: I'm having almost constant nightmares which leave me waking up exhausted and afraid. 

My head feels heavy and fuzzy and it feels dizzy and unable to think straight. Everything feels slowed down.

Still having numbness in throat which means it's sometimes harder to swallow, and at night time I'm almost constantly coughing up saliva that has gone down my windpipe.

I'm so grateful I'm not having worse symptoms than this at the moment, because I know the hell that many of you are going through, some for months and years on end. I hope you are all doing well today, or at least improving.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Someday - 

It looks like you your reinstatement dose was too high.  It's better to start low - 1 or 2 mg, and then build up, because it's harder on the nervous system to back down off a higher dose.  But - I understand the desperation.  Why do they give us pills that are too powerful and we have to chop them up to get what we need?  Your symptoms were so disturbing, that you would probably have tried ANYthing to get relief.  I'm hoping that maybe your symptoms settled down after a spell?

How are your symptoms?  Have you quit the reinstatement?  Did you go to the doctor for more tablets?  Have you had any more tests done?

Please let us know how you are going.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...

I feel so alone and scared. I have nobody to talk to.

Almost two years ago I posted in this thread about losing sensation in my tongue /throat /neck area, meaning that swallowing felt extra difficult and frightening. I got used to it. But about six weeks ago I had a chest infection and mucus went down my airways twice to the point where I was choking - for about five seconds both times I could not physically take in or expel any air. It was terrifying. For six weeks afterwards it didn't happen again. However, now I spend 24/7 with what feels like mucus around my airways, and normally we would just cough this up, but it's as if the sensation is totally gone from that area and when I try to cough it up nothing happens, I can't feel anything at all, except for the mucus continuing to slide down into my trachea. Basically, it's like I've totally lost sensation in a portion of my airways area. I'm constantly trying to stop the mucus going down further but this only works half the time. When I say constantly I mean 24/7 every 30 seconds. It's so scary and uncomfortable and I can't believe I'm back here again being anxious 24/7 terrified about what the true cause may be, what underlying condition I may be about to be diagnosed with.

And I know that I'm not just imagining the presence of mucus going down my windpipe, because when I force myself to go for any length of time without trying to clear it, it builds up and I have to cough up a large amount of it.

Metaphorically, and to an extent also literally, it feels like I'm spending 24/7 with someone's hand wrapped around my throat and I'm terrified they're going to strangle me at any moment.

I'm exhausted.

I'm going to see the doctor this weekend.

Sorry to be so negative. I'm just feeling really scared and unhappy and alone lately. All the time.

Hi someday, I'm so sorry you are still feeling so bad!

What meds/ dose are you on now or you are off completely?

Can you update your signature? I will try to read your previous post later to understand what happened after nov, 2015 when you were still on 10 mg lex.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hey LexAnger, thanks for replying!

I am still on the 10mg actually, since November 2015... Escitalopram (Lexapro.)

I was going to wait until the weekend to go to the doctor but I've decided to go today after work instead. I slept deeply last night, so I wasn't up all night clearing my throat, and the result was that my chest was full of mucus this morning. I couldn't bring it up either. And when I spoke, barely any sound came out. I've managed to get some of it up now which has helped a little. But why was my body not doing that automatically overnight the way it's meant to.? I guess only beginning the medical tests process will shed any light on that. :-/

Hi Someday. I'm so sorry for what you're going through although I'm sure that we can all empathize. You are still on 10 mg? Have you not been tapering ?

Is there a reason for this ? We are just trying to understand the process here. If you can give us a little more information to fill in the blanks between now and then, it would be helpful.

Have you had these symptoms the whole time - 2 yrs almost ?  

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hey AliG,

I hope you're well! Thanks for responding! :)

I haven't tapered because every time I tried it just ended it disaster each time. Life has just been easier and simpler by staying on the medication.

Yeah the sensation loss in my throat and neck and tongue area started almost two years ago, following a year of ill-advised tapering. I have got used to it, but now it seems that even my cough muscles area have stopped working, so when I try to bring up / cough up mucus or saliva that's going into my windpipe, nothing happens, it just keeps going down, it feels like the sensation that controls that area is gone.

Do you think it's a true sensation or one that has been over emphasized / focused on due to withdrawal ?   

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

It's definitely real, because the physical evidence is there. Before, when I'd cough or whatever, whatever was going down my windpipe would physically come up. Now, when I cough, whatever is in my windpipe just stays there, or keeps going down. :-/

I'm so sorry for your pain. I hope it goes well from here. Maybe the tests will reveal the cause and therefore a cure .

Thank you :-)

I hope you are well.

Someday  I feel like I am dealing with something similiar to you now . It literally just started happening about a month ago, I have difficulty swallowing and I have been complaining to family members that it feels like mucus is stuck in chest and or throat  ,Especially after trying to eat . Very odd feeling , Ive started lots of tests as the it brought me to the ER twice . A throat scan , Lung Xray were normal, I did a Scope in my Stomach and Esphogus yesterday and it showed a small narrowing in my espohogus so a balloon was added but he said it shouldnt have caused so much trouble. Maybe it was worse a week ago when my acid was worse. But anyway this symptom is really challenging, I am sure it will go away just like all the other weird WD symptoms.   I remember my first 6-7 months off Meds my stomach was horrific , I had every test under the moon. The pain was horrific , the food wouldnt digest , I felt awful and all tests came up clean .  I have a feeling we may be experiencing Dysphaglia with some panic .  But my voice feels weak and iI have no strength behind my cough at all . mine doesnt feel numb it feels more sensitive if anything my whole throat area. 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I noticed for me its not always so bad with my throat , sometimes it completley lets up , especially at night when Im really tired , and Def when I wake up its much better than when I start my day . Same for u ? 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share something* that has helped me a lot latley. Not sure if we have same thing but https://www.hydrasense.ca/en/products/self-mix-nasal-care/

This improves my symptoms a lot! Not at 1st but after a few weeks of using it I notice a big difference.

• 5 years later...

Hi! I know its been a long time but I haven’t found a lot of information online, how did it go with the tingling at the end ? I was on lexapro 20mg for 8 years and after tapering it off for about 6 months I stopped, 2 months later having paresthesia all over body

Edited by Pepms
Typo

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

10-21 started lexapro tapering

3-22 lexapro free
5-22 started to get paresthesia all over body mainly in legs , numbness, tingling, stinging sensations 

6-22 neurologist started me on Lyrica 25mg twice a day to see if it helps with the paresthesia, got a nerve conduction test which was negative

6-22 neurologist suggested quitting lyrica as it isnt seem to be helping, and reinstating 5mg lexapro to see if it helps with the symptoms, thinking of starting lower at 2.5mg

6-13-22 stopped lyrica by doctor order (only took it 4 days )

6-14-22 reinstated 2.5mg lexapro

6-15-22 neurologist added 10mg amitriptyline to try and help with paresthesia sensory symptoms

6-22-22 updose to 5mg lexapro (bad reaction, paresthesia got worse, back to 2.5mg next day)

6-27-22 went to see a new internal doctor, per symptoms (lack of appetite that had been going on for almost a month, the paresthesia, and gi problems), told me to suspend everything i was taking and take new low dose combination drug (Adepsique) 5mg amitriptyline/ 1.5mg Diazepam / 1mg Perphenazine and 40mg Propranolol for daytime sinus tachycardia