SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lovofsun: Hello...

Lovofsun

I'm Chris and I'm from Birmingham uk....

I have been on ad's from 11 years and have tried about 6 different ones to try and curb GAD...

To cut it short and for the reason I'm here is basically I pooped out on 30mg Paxil early last year and the docs Put me on citalopram but it made things worse so they put me back on Paxil 20mg and a beta blocker but after 6 months I felt like things were getting worse and worse....

The docs put me on sertriline 50mg and this worked for about a month and then I crashed.... So the docs put me back on Paxil 20mg but I wanted off them all so now I'm on 10mg and I'm feeling horrid :(

I had to stop my antihistamines because they caused bad heart palpitations and stopped me passing water...

And I'm having side effects to most drugs that I used to take with ease... I'm having brain fog like I have never had before! I'm dehydrated all the time, having mood swings like I haven't had before...

extream fatigue and other things.

Plus to top it off I have got aches and pains in my legs and arms that make me feel down even more....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Take care and God bless

1999: amitriptyline
2002: fluoxetine
2003: venlafaxine
2007: Paxil 20mg
2012: Paxil 30mg
2014 june: Paxil stopped working and was put on citalopram 20mg
2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives
2015 January: doctors put me on sertriline 50mg
2015 February March: doctors wanted me to go back on Paxil 20mg
2015 April 1st: I wanted off and dropped to 10mg
9/5/15  Feeling worse for ware!  struggling but i WILL get through this

Hello Chris,

Welcome -

A moderator will be along to discuss possible re-instatement on a dose that will try to get you stable to prepare for a slow taper -

Please read the following to get acquainted with the 10% taper method and other important info -

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

It's also a good idea to create a signature of your drug history, you can see my signature is at the bottom of this post. 

To create a signature, click on your name at the top right of this page, click on "My Profile", then click on "Edit My Profile", then click on "signature" at left side -

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Thank you clearday.... I'll sort my signature out now :)

2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives

You're in poop-out (meds no longer work - they "poop-out" on you) and withdrawal. 

Your symptoms are very typical for SSRI withdrawal, as you will see when you read over more stories like yours on here.

Withdrawal will continue during re-instatement and taper, but slow taper often helps to reduce the withdrawal.

Prepare for getting down to work on your recovery, which could take quite awhile. But many have recovered.

A lot of patience and time will be necessary -

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

will I ever be normal again? If so what's the time frame for the whole thing?

Also I just looked at your sig your 14 months off now? Are you still getting wd?

will I ever be normal again? If so what's the time frame for the whole thing?

Also I just looked at your sig your 14 months off now? Are you still getting wd?

Many people have healed, but it may take awhile. Each case is different.

Some people are affected worse than others, you'll just have to see as time goes by.

Yes, I am still in protracted Lexapro withdrawal right now.

I have healed a lot over the past year, and have a lot more healing to go. 

Waves of withdrawal symptoms often pop up out of nowhere months after stopping the drug.

It's best to read a lot of stories, so you have a head's up in case something hits you down the line. Doctors will tell you "it's your anxiety coming back", and they're just wrong. Years on these drugs have altered our neurochemistry, and it often takes a long time for the brain to get itself back to normal.

A wave of insomnia often hits a few months after stopping. Also body numbness, pins and needles, head pressure. And a whole array of other symptoms. You'll just have to see what's in store for you. Hopefully it will not be so bad. This is serious business. Read the stories.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi Chris

Lots of people heal.

Some don't though (a minority), through no fault of their own. So it is important to recognise that it can happen so as not to judge people who don't heal.

Clearday is right, your experience is typical.

when an ssri pops out, it doesn't mean going of it is withdrawal free.

Your choices at the moment are whether to up dose back to 20 mg and wait till stable (then consider a slow taper), or to stick it out at your current dose and go through the WD. Then when stable start a slow taper.

Cheers

Damien

Off all SSRIs as at November 2016.

Been on SSRIs (mainly Lexapro) for around 15 years.

failed attempts to go cold turkey before I got proper info on it.

Over last 2 years I've slowly gone from 20 mg Lexapro to 2.5 mg Lexapro.

on 25th Jan 2015 I've now moved to home made liquid Lexapro.

Plan is to drop roughly 0.2 mg per month over the next 1-2 years.  

25th Jan 2015 2.5 mg Lexapro liquid.

24th Mar 2016 1.0 mg lexapro (crushed tablet mixed and refilled into capsules)

Planned to be at 0.0 mg lexapro by about October 2016. 

I also take 50-100 mg modafinil per day, no short term plans of stopping/tapering modafinil but will re-evaluate after I'm off lexapro. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Chris,

I'm sorry you're going through all this and not feeling well.  I'm glad you found us, we will be able to provide help and support with safely getting off your medication, if that's what you want to do.  As others have mentioned, it may take a while to get sorted out.

Thank you for filling in your signature.

What was your experience of going back on 20mg paxil in Feb/March?  Could you give a more precise date of when this was?  You have written that you wanted to come off it, but was this because your symptoms became worse after starting back on it?  I'm trying to understand if what you are feeling now is withdrawal or if you're having an adverse reaction.  Do you feel much worse now than when you were taking 20mg?  When did you make this cut?

I'm guessing that what you are experiencing is withdrawal from paxil, from dropping your dose down too fast. Even though you were in 'poop-out'. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Sometimes reinstating, or updosing can help to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  Its not always necessary to go all the way back to the previous dose, a small amount can often be enough.  Here is our topic on reinstatement:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

If you decide you want to try updosing a little, we can help you decide what amount to try.

Here is our topic about how to safely taper paxil:

http://survivinganti...xil-paroxetine/

Is paxil the only drug you are taking at the moment?

hangingbyabranch.gif  Hang in there, things will get better.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Chris, I am also on 10 mg Paxil and you are definitely having typical withdrawal symptoms. You may find that reinstating the 20 mg will eliminate or at least reduce your WD symptoms significantly. You cut your dose by 50%, this site recommends only a 10% cut per month or less depending on the individual and how they feel.

Regardless of whether you up dose to 20 mg or stay at 10 mg, you must give your nervous system time to adjust to the changes. You have been taking the meds a long time, your system doesn't tolerate your NOT taking them without some revolt. The slower you taper and the more patient, the fewer symptoms you should experience. Be patient. You can get off of them, but patience is the key to making the journey manageable and tolerable (not necessarily pleasant).

You will find lots of great info (there is a learning curve!) and support here, so glad you found the site. Welcome, and hang in there! You are in good company, many of us are finding our ways along the thorny path of antidepressant (or other prescription) medication withdrawal. I am firmly convinced its worth the effort. Take care... :-)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Thank you for replying guys...

Going back on 20mg made me feel like I was depressed... I felt like i didn't want to be around any more.

It came in waves and I thought I was bipolar! I really don't want to go down that road again... I can't remember a pricise date :( so many things have been going on I'm suprised I remember to wake up lol

I feel better now then I did when I took the 20mg and 30mg I feel like I want to be alive and not down in the dumps, even thought I'm feeling crap with pain and weird sensations I'm getting I don't feel depressed...

I was put on sertriline and they made me bad, I took an overdose while I was on them and that's when the doctor said get back on 20mg Paxil and wanted to send me to a new psychologist... This was the beginning of March and then I decided I didn't want to feel down again and start to take the 10mg and see if that helped....

I'm feeling better in my mind apart from waves of brain fog, mood swings, pains in my legs and arms and weird lightheadedness ... Plus anxiety (which I've had for many years) although it can be intense at times.

God bless

Hi Chris, all those symptoms should eventually go away but it doesn't happen quickly. It's a slow process that can takes many months typically, and for some years but most people do recover - hang in there, you will get better!

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

I really hope it is only months :)

Is this part of wd: no pain in legs all day and then about 7pm I started to feel uneasy and anxious then the pains came back.. I went on to take my mind off it all and excersie a little and it went by 8:30pm...

Now I get this a lot but some times it don't go as I cant excersie or take my mind of it...

muscle and joint pain, pins and needles, "burning skin", numbness, constant urge to move, have all been reported as SSRI withdrawal symptoms.

24 months SSRI-free  

Ah that's good it helps me be more positive about all the things I experience when people confirm the things I feel are in wd :)

One lest thing.... (Sorry to be a pain) I'm suffering palpitations that wake me up at night is this a wd symptom? my heart races for about 30 secs and I feel out of breath then it subsides and I fall off to sleep again...

I'm not sure how old you are, but you need to be patient.   Yes heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, cortisol awakenings,  add infinitum, etc. etc.    are all part of "withdrawal".    Just hang on, you will be ok.  It's all "Withdrawal"  .   Best wishes.  Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Ah that's good it helps me be more positive about all the things I experience when people confirm the things I feel are in wd :)

One lest thing.... (Sorry to be a pain) I'm suffering palpitations that wake me up at night is this a wd symptom? my heart races for about 30 secs and I feel out of breath then it subsides and I fall off to sleep again...

Absolutely common in WD. I had exactly that during my insomnia wave (see my signature below). My racing heart and heart palpitations were so haywire one night I thought my heart was going to fail. Very scary. Lucky for me, those symptoms subsided after a few weeks, and only got bad a few times. 

Another symptom reported is "uncomfortable heart", where the inside of your chest cavity and beating heart just are overall tight and uncomfortable. 

BTW smoking nicotine will trigger and amplify those types of symptoms. Just in case you were a smoker. I had to quite cigars for awhile during that wave of symptoms. Took me awhile to make the cause and effect, but once I quit the cigars my heart and chest stuff improved greatly.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Administrator

Welcome, LOS.

It sounds like you've had some adverse reactions to higher doses of Paxil.

What I would do is hold at 10mg for a while, maybe some number of months, to allow your nervous system to settle down from all the drug changes. Then, you can taper at 10%, referring to the links that Petunia posted for you.

Palpitations are fairly common when one's nervous system has been stressed by antidepressant changes. Please see our Symptoms and Self-Care forum for discussions of this symptom and others. Some people find taurine to be helpful with palpitations. Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

There is something very reassuring when you find others who have "been there" or "done that". Finding that place saved me and that was 9 years ago. In wd I couldn't imagine wd would end or that I could be happy! It is very exciting to read your posts, your spirit and strength shines through. Keep fightling, celebrate your triumps.

40 mg Paxil for 2.5 years

Quit cold turkey March 2006

WIthdrawal painful but gradually felt better after a year or so.

Now, ten years out, life has its problems because life is life But I am so happy and grateful for my life.

• 4 weeks later...

hello guys just and update on where i am with my WD....

Date: 9/5/15

I am suffering like crazy with anxiety that dont seem to go away unless i take a Valium which i take very very sparingly (2mg and only take it probably once a week when needed)

I have constant muscle twitching in my legs and aches in my calfs when i walk or exercise.. Pins and needles and numbness is a pain too.... Paracetamol seems to take the edge of it at the moment.

I keep having low mood swings that last a day or two.

My bladder is way over active too!  Im going to the loo lots of times a day!

For the first time ever i have IBS too... My stomach is all over the place and in knots! 

Im also suffering from what seems like POTs  (postural tachycardia syndrome) this is a new thing im having a is causing my some anxiety!  
I cant stand up with out my heart racing and being breathless!  I get sweaty and shake for the first 30-60 secs of standing!
My heart races when i go from lying down to sitting up too.

I worry these things i have are not WD... this is problem i have with most things Health anxiety is the reason i went on AD's

Apart from this i have faith in the lord and i hope he helps me through this valley i am in sooner rather then later :)

All those symptoms are consistent with SSRI withdrawal -

Changes in heart rate, breathing, balance, thermoregulation (sweating). digestion, etc are caused by dysautonomia brought on by SSRI withdrawal, and are widely reported by those in SSRI withdrawal.

Dysautonomia is instability of the autonomic nervous system. 

The symptoms may come and go in waves. They often lessen over time as the body heals.

24 months SSRI-free