SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alcohol, including wine and beer

squirrel

Alcohol is a CNS depressant.

had a family get together tonight felt my usual tense and anxious state, so had a couple of drinks and felt like my old self again.i was eating and enjoying my food was talking to people, did not feel tense or agitated. was so nice to feel relaxed again. But i suppose I will pay for it tomorrow !

Edited by ChessieCat

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Hey Squirrel,

I may be wrong, but doesn't that sound more like a mental problem rather than a direct wd issue? This surely may have come from taking an ad, but isn't it possible to use therpay to help you with that now?

But nonetheless, great that you felt normal again after such a long time :)

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Squirrel!

Great that you got a bit of a break. How are you doing today?

I know what you mean about the alcohol. If I have a glass of wine, I'll feel better for the evening, and go right to sleep, but then my anxiety levels go through the roof later. Which is a bummer because I really like a nice glass of wine.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

Not a great day high anxiety!!!!!!!!!!

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• 4 weeks later...

If I make these assumptions

1. Benzodiazepines limit my Ad w/d

2. Modulation of benzos created havoc that I have not (am not) recovering from at present benzo dosages.

3. I could possible further limit my w/d -- reduce symptoms -- by increasing benzo dosages (disregarding other considerations)

4. Increased benzos are undesirable

5. Alcohol can, roughly, stand in for benzos

Can I not make a case for this:

6. Adding small vloume of relatively low carb, diluted alcohol (vodka or scotch) may improve symptoms through the same neuro-mechanism that benzos do.

7. Significant benefit from alcohol would argue for increasing benzos or drinking alcohol for current symptoms alleviation. (disregarding down-the-road considerations)

I'm not advocating, here. I'm just posting some assumptions.

Choices will soon have to be made. Everything is on the table.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

I think self-medicating with alcohol is fairly risky. Alcohol affects so many systems in the body. I'd stay away from it.

Plus, would there not be some self-beating-up for falling off the wagon?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I think self-medicating with alcohol is fairly risky. Alcohol affects so many systems in the body. I'd stay away from it.

Plus, would there not be some self-beating-up for falling off the wagon?

Well, I feel more anxious and more benzo-type symptoms today. Left hand super tingly, that's a big tip off.

A mistake, yea. Not self-beating too much though because, for an 'alcoholic', the reassurance I got from leaving half a drink on the table outweighs the disappointment I feel in losing the streak of continuous sobriety.

But some beating up still. I wasn't thinking too clearly yesterday. And I feel pretty crappy right now. All sweaty, headache, socially uncomfortable... Vodka wasn't a good idea, even at 3/4 of an oz or whatever.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

• 7 months later...

Hello people-

On David Healy's blog there's a post by Anne-Marie:

http://davidhealy.org/out-of-my-mind-driven-to-drink

In this she explains, in short, that SSRI-medications

(paroxetine, citalopram for her part) can cause

intense craving for alcohol in a person who earlier

had not had an alcohol problem.

How common is this problem?

How have people come to grips with it?

drb, concerned psychiatrist with w/d experience
the opinions expressed here are personal opinions
should not be taken as medical advice
should not be taken as a replacement for your own knowledgeable, sympathetic, available medical practitioner

I hope that Alex will weigh in on this -

There has been discussion of carbohydrate and sugar craving on SSRIs also -

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1667-cravings-advice-sought/page__pid__20641#entry20641

Just FYI

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hello people-

On David Healy's blog there's a post by Anne-Marie:

http://davidhealy.org/out-of-my-mind-driven-to-drink

In this she explains, in short, that SSRI-medications

(paroxetine, citalopram for her part) can cause

intense craving for alcohol in a person who earlier

had not had an alcohol problem.

How common is this problem?

Hello drb,

I've got personal experience in the matter. I was a non-drinker, unappreciative of the effects or side effects of alcohol as a teen. In my early 20s, while on SSRIs, I became an alcohol abuser, eventually attending addiction rehabs on several occasions over multiple years.

Because many with social anxiety turn to alcohol to cope with social situations, the true nature of my alcoholic drinking was obscured. Of course, the situation contained other complications but, for a variety of reasons the possibilty of psych meds influencing the drinking was never considered. Not even by me.

I took Lexapro (escitalopram) manufactured by a company called Forrest Labs, now a Pfizer subsidiary. At the time, alcohol abuse was not listed as a side effect by the manufacturer. Last I talked to a rep at Forrest, they do not acknowledge a connection. And that's a bunch of baloney and the poor guy on the phone with me choose his words very, very carefully on the matter.

GSK, maker of Paxil (paroxetine) acknowledges alcohol abuse as a documented side effect. I believe they list it in the 'uncommon' category neither 'common' nor 'rare'. An uncommon side effect according to GSK, and my memory, should occur in 1 in 100 or fewer users... so it is quite uncommon... If you are happy to take GSK's interpretation as gospel truth which I am not.

I've read accounts of psychiatrist's noticing this connectionin their own practices. I don't recall the specific authors, but remember one doc noticed this effect occurred frequently enough that he started vigilantly monitoring patients for any unusual compulsive behavior (usually expressed as alcohol/drugs/sex/spending) in the first months after initiation.

On lexapro I found alcohol very powerful and euphoric. I ended up in rehab multiple times. In 2008 I was switched from Lexapro to Effexor and. though I endeavored to stay sober, sometimes I gave in to temptation. On Effexor I found it easier to sometimes stop after a few drinks, though most frequently drinking to significant excess, and noticed the alcohol lacked some kick.

When I discontinued Effexor (too quickly) I felt terrible. I tried to drink the w/d away. I discovered, shockingly, that no euphoria arrived at all. I drank many times in the first 6 months of discontinuation. I rarely had more than one drink, often not finishing the one. Alcohol felt like it had when I was a teenager; I didn't really like it much. I realized perhaps I was never alcoholic. Talk about a shock...

Anyway, I realized drinking alcohol in any capacity wasn't helpful so I suspended the activity, satisfied that at the very least something was different.

For over a year I was totally abstinent without any cravings. In August 2011 I ordered an alcoholic drink -- partly to test 'alcoholism' and partly to test a reflux problem -- and I didn't care to finish the drink. I was still not an alcoholic. On December 3rd, out late at a coffeeshop/bar I ordered a drink for kicks and to test. I lost interest halfway through and left half a glass on the table. I've not had a drink or a craving to drink since Dec 3.

Between 2000 and 2010, while on psych Drugs, I drank hundreds of times, 90+% of the time drinking more than 6 six drinks, frequently exceeding 10, even 20 drinks or more. Since early 2010 I've had alcohol probably 20 times and only exceeded two drinks once.

I was written off as an alcoholic and a drug addict. I made friends and got 'sober' with other alcoholics. They can't fathom how I so easily stopped drinking (and drug use) without using 12 steps or antabuse or whatever. I've explained the connection to SSRIs, but they can't understand it.

I still frequently talk to a couple guys who struggle with cravings like I used to. It's odd to hear this now, and remember how I used to be that way too.

Today substance abuse has no allure and I contemplate it as often as I contemplate gathering up all my money and favorite things -- and lighting them on fire.

For about 10 years, I was an alcoholic and drug addict by side effect. At the end of it all, I had lost about everything to drinking and drugging only to then discover I wasn't even a true alcoholic.

How have people come to grips with it?

With which part? The not drinking? Well, it's pretty easy when you don't crave the drink. The tragic destruction of finances, reputation, body and spirit from years of 'phony alcoholism'? I don't know how you come to grips with it. Slowly, I suppose. You put the pieces of your life back to together, one by one as best you can. Cope with the anger and shock as best you can with the support of others who know what it's like. Try to speak openly of your experience to benefit those otherwise next-in-line, if you are able to do so.

Drinking, drugging, risk-taking, suicidality, violent outburts... there are reports of drugs causing 'out of character' behavior of all sorts. It's just a part of the tragedy. For a lot of people the side effects of taking the drugs is the hardest part, since afterwards it becomes clear that none of the wreckage needed to occur and it wasn't the 'real' you driving those decisions.

Still the real and unmedicated you will live on with the traumas, memories, consequences and "unfair" circumstances of the complusivity.

In the end though, the past is the past and we hope to move on and live positive, healthy lives in the future. At least, that is the plan. The positivity part being maybe easier to come to than the health.

Alex

- Zimmerman

I hope that Alex will weigh in on this -

There has been discussion of carbohydrate and sugar craving on SSRIs also -

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1667-cravings-advice-sought/page__pid__20641#entry20641

Just FYI

Yes, I believe this falls into my niche. I never would have dreamed, say in high school, that I'd be sharing my experiences with phony addiction.

"Oh the places you'll GO!"

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I tapered off 10 mg. of Lexapro over a four month period, and that was way too fast. My doctor's advice, when I was down to 2.5 mg. was to take it every other day, which I did for two weeks, and then quit. The first two months of withdrawal were horrible, mostly due to insomnia and a great deal of irritability in the mornings. After reading the section regarding sleeping problems under 'Symptoms and What Helps', I realized both were symptoms of elevated Cortisol. After making the bedroom as dark as possible and getting a sleep mask, I was finally able to sleep and withdawal symptoms have been improving ever since.

One thing that strikes me about the alcohol craving is that many people on antidepressants are also put on a benzo for sleep, and benzos most definitely create a craving for alcohol. According to what Dr. Peter Breggin has to say about them, the benzos actually set a person up for alcoholism. (I wish I had bookmarked the article, but apparently I didn't.)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

thank you!

would make sense to "collect" these non-pharmaceutical methods/approaches to the havoc that the process of getting off a medication very often wreaks

could even be done not only intuitively but also rationally though i would not be surprised to discover that each such method is related to various factors that are known to be important in tapering

like sleep hygiene, high quality food supply, regular fun exercise, no alcohol etc

so we should probably not only keep this (or a similarly purposed) list in mind while planning but also collect and share the creative "tweaks" to the list (like your optimizing darkness for sleep)

drb

drb, concerned psychiatrist with w/d experience
the opinions expressed here are personal opinions
should not be taken as medical advice
should not be taken as a replacement for your own knowledgeable, sympathetic, available medical practitioner

One thing that strikes me about the alcohol craving is that many people on antidepressants are also put on a benzo for sleep, and benzos most definitely create a craving for alcohol. According to what Dr. Peter Breggin has to say about them, the benzos actually set a person up for alcoholism. (I wish I had bookmarked the article, but apparently I didn't.)

In my case, i've been on both a benzo and an antidepressant (alcoholic drinking). An antidepressant (different AD) plus other meds but no benzo (alcoholic drinking but a little less so). And finally on benzos with no AD (and no other meds)-- alcoholism CURED! Rejoice another Christmas miracle!!

Its complicated because i've probably experienced a lot of effects from all these meds. I can certainly see how benzos can lead to drinking, benzo reductions led to increased cravings for sure for me. And it's a fair bet that just being on benzos at all played a role in the beginning. I have some reasons to think this based on my benzo dosing habits and my drinking habits. But it also clearly wasn't solely the benzos, again in my case.

I take a good dose of benzos going on two years and don't struggle with any cravings and the two times I drank any alcohol in the last 20 months (again on benzos, no AD) I didn't much care for the alcohol and left both drinks unfinished.

I don't think there are definitive conclusions to be taken from my case, except that some % of alcoholism is 'phony', an effect of psychiatric medication fooling around with the couriers in your brain and causing havoc.

- Zimmerman

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

David Healy wants to hear reports of alcohol craving on SSRIs, post in comments at http://davidhealy.org/every-drink-spiked/#comments

He also wants to hear about sugar cravings or blood glucose problems on SSRIs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

This is a topic very personal to me. I left a comment.

Excellent comment, Alex.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 2 months later...

Trying to find the original publication of this article by Ann Blake Tracy.

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/5023-alcohol-cravings-induced-via-increased-serotonin/

Alcohol Cravings Induced via Increased Serotonin by Ann Blake Tracy, Director, ICFDA

There is an alarming connection between alcoholism and the various prescription drugs that increase serotonin. The most popular of those drugs are: PROZAC, ZOLOFT, PAXIL, LUVOX, SERZONE, EFFEXOR, ANAFRANIL, and the new diet pills, FEN-PHEN and REDUX. For seven years numerous reports have been made by reformed alcoholics (some for 15 years and longer) who are being "driven" to alcohol again after being prescribed one of these drugs. And many other patients who had no previous history of alcoholism have continued to report an "overwhelming compulsion" to drink while using these drugs.

(A few personal accounts: #1 A young woman, a recovering alcoholic, reported that during the eight month period she had been using Prozac she found it necessary to attend AA meetings every day in order to fight off the strong compulsions to begin drinking again. #2 In the Southeastern United States a middle aged psychologist, also a recovering alcoholic, after being prescribed Prozac, found herself needing to attend AA meetings morning, noon, and night to keep from destroying the sobriety she had achieved. #3 A young father, who was Mormon and had never before in his life used alcohol, found himself drinking Ever Clear and exhibiting bizarre as well as violent behavior, after being prescribed Prozac and Ritalin. #4 A young mother who had never used alcohol before began drinking large amounts within weeks of being prescribed Prozac and quickly found herself committed to a mental institution due to the psychotic behavior that resulted. Added to her Prozac prescription were anti-psychotic meds and electric shock treatments. She then began to experience seizures and was started on anti-seizure meds. #5 A concerned neighbor reported her friend was drinking straight Vodka on a regular basis after being prescribed Zoloft. #6 A daughter reported her father, sober for 15 years, began drinking again on Prozac. The consistant report from these patients has been an "overwhelming craving or compulsion" for alcohol.)

For some time we did not have specific medical documentation to help us understand why this was happening. Could it be that Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc., being mood altering substances, were removing the inhibitions that individuals had placed upon themselves to stop their additions? But beyond this mood altering effect of Prozac, etc., there seemed to be a physiological cause for this alcoholic obsession as well. There were reports of people who rarely drank before Prozac, etc., consuming excessive amounts of alcohol after starting usage of these various drugs. For example we have the case of a young newly wed in Southern Utah who was given Prozac for a hormonal imbalance. Before that time she would have two or three social drinks a year, yet soon after being prescribed Prozac she began bringing alcohol home by the case. Many similar reports followed.

Could it be that because these drugs have such a strong adverse effect upon the pancreas [Manufacturer's warnings include such side effects as hypoglycemia, diabetes and pancreatitis.]they are producing a potent disruption in the body's blood sugar balance? This would in turn cause a "craving" for alcohol as the body reaches out for a "quick fix" to raise the blood sugar level thus triggering a vicious self-perpetuating cycle as the alcohol pushes the blood sugar level even lower after the brief high it produces. This means that those suffering a tendency toward alcoholism or any other blood sugar disorder would suffer the most disastrous repercussions of Prozac, etc., (including psychosis, suicidal ideation and violence) much faster than most. Patient reports support this conclusion.

In November of 1994 Yale published a study that gave us one answer to the alcohol cravings associated with these drugs. The study demonstrated that an increase in brain levels of either of two neurotransmitters (brain hormones), serotonin or noradrenalin, produces: #1 a craving for alcohol, #2 anger, #3 anxiety. They found this to be especially true for those who have a history of alcoholism. All of the drugs listed above are designed in one way or another to increase serotonin which in turn also increases noradrenalin. Anyone who has a history of alcoholism should heed the warning contained in these reports. And anyone who has developed a problem with alcoholism while using these drugs deserves answers as to why they have experienced such an overwhelming compulsion to drink.

America already has an estimated 10 -15 million alcoholics. To increase that number with a reaction from prescription drugs which causes a compulsion to drink is a tragedy! What a sad state of affairs that drugs which are actually being promoted as a treatment for alcoholism have the potential to create alcohol craving behavior. This is not only frightening, but absurd. It is heart-rending to listen to those who have had years of sobriety destroyed almost overnight or those who have never touched alcohol before Prozac, yet began drinking compulsively due to a medication prescribed by doctors unfamiliar with this connection. By chemically inducing an overwhelming urge to drink this effect also causes patients to mix alcohol with these powerful drugs. When alcohol and drugs are combined, one can compound the effects of the other so the resulting impairment is far worse than if the two were taken separately...even small amounts, mixed with some medicines, will deaden your senses or change your perceptions which can lead to psychotic behavior, seizures, etc. Those in this situation need to be made aware that they are not alone, and that this is a common report which is now substantiated by medical documentation. They also need to understand that it is possible to very gradually withdraw from these drugs and overcome these adverse drug reactions.

SORUCE:- References for this material: Krystal JH, Webb; E, Cooney N.; et al., "Specificity of Ethanol-like Effects Elicited in Serotonergic and Noradrenergic Mechanisms," ARCHIVES OF GENERAL PSYCHIATRY, Vol. 51, Issue 11, pgs 898-911. (This is the Yale study mentioned above.)

It is on her site, excerpted from a book she wrote. The book is Prozac: Panacea or Pandora and is available on her site as well.

I've never read it, the book. I've seen this article before. It was the first thing I found when I started to suspect that my ADs influenced my alcohol cravings. It was difficult to find this time around.

http://www.drugawareness.org/prozac-panacea-or-pandora/ssris-and-alcohol

- Zimmerman

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Had a few drinks on Friday and I've dearly paid for it the past two days. I wonder when I'll be able to drink again?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Had a few drinks on Friday and I've dearly paid for it the past two days. I wonder when I'll be able to drink again?

I had a couple of drinks on my sixty-fifth birthday and there was a significant tinnitus uptick (my primary withdrawal symptom). Bad move but kinda human.

We can't drink until we are off this crap.. that said, a very occasional cheat will not upset our boat, but there will be a price. Alcohol is not good as long as we are tapering.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Being a psychoactive substance, alcohol throws another possibly destabilizing factor into recovering from withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

my sleep turns really bad when I drink alcohol

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

It sure does Alto... Being a psychoactive substance, alcohol throws another possibly destabilizing factor into recovering from withdrawal.

And not only is it psychoactive, but it acts on many of the same receptors. I give in maybe 3 times a year for a couple of drinks, the last time not so good as that particular BD hit kinda hard. I paid the price and it cost me better than 2 weeks extra hold time, maybe even 3. I can't imagine how it would be for someone who is a regular drinker and not able to stop... I don't think they would be able to stabilize. Makes me shudder.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

I am a regular drinker, although I've stopped over the past three to four months because of my withdrawal. I drank the other night and the effect wasn't even pleasant. There was none of the euphoria I normally get from drinking, just a weird voided feeling in my head. I get this feeling sometimes during my withdrawal, but this was specifically triggered by the alcohol, as it started within half an hour of my first drink. After two hours or so I had a very strong craving for starchy/fatty foods even though I've almost completely removed these foods from my diet and no longer even really enjoy them. I had similar cravings during the peak of my withdrawal two to three months ago, but they've since then disappeared. Three to four drinks, however, and these cravings were back with a vengeance. I felt drained and miserable for three days afterward, though today I think I'm more or less recovered. I don't know exactly what's going on neurologically when I drink (besides just more destabilization as you say Alto), but it's obviously no good.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 3 months later...

See also Alcohol

I don't drink beer since I'm in the midst of a benzo taper but I'm wondering does anyone drink beer and does it make symptoms better or worse? What about wine? I assume beer and wine are not helpful but I'd rather not assume. Does anyone have experience to share positive or negative?

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Alcohol in general makes me feel very strange now. After a beer or a glass of wine I'll get a kind of pervasive dead/depleted feeling in my head. The 'buzz' is also mostly absent. It's been bad news for me, so I avoid it.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

as an old-timer who has frequented many withdrawal boards I can say the general consensus is that people need to stay away from alcohol during all acute and healing phases of withdrawal...

I can't tolerate any alcohol at all...and haven't been able to for several years now

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I haven't had alc in wd, but I've read up on loads who have and it's made them worse.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Moderator Emeritus

I blush to admit that when I went away on holiday last week, I had wine every night with my meal.

It actually helped! I'd fall asleep right away as opposed to taking 1-2 hours to fall asleep.

Alcohol doesn't worsen my symptoms at all.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

yeah...I've heard stories like that.

Be careful it can turn around and bite you in the ass any time. I've heard those stories too.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

by the way...no judgment in that comment...just caution...because our bodies are really fragile and substance of all kinds can go south on us...wine and vitamin b12 both

• Moderator Emeritus

no offense taken Gia,

thanks for the warning.

Yes I'm fully aware of the dangers.

I don't do it that often. Don't worry I'm not going to start using alcohol as a sedative.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Alcohol (wine, champagne) causes a rebounding depression for me. So does Xanax and Propanolol (beta blocker).

The alcohol was worse when I was on Lexapro and tapering Lexapro.

Not as bad with Celexa or Imipramine. But things did change.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I've sometimes found alcohol useful for getting to sleep, but after a few days of that depression sets in and I'm far too inclined to get depressed as it is. For now I'm avoiding it and using sublingual Melatonin for sleep. There's some morning grogginess from that as well, but no depression.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wine affects my sleep but I do love a good red

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

So then no beer drinkers?

I don't expect any positive reports but admit my curiosity partly came from the differences between the alcholic drinks.

For a former alcoholic, I doubt I've had five bottles of wine in my life. I've probably had 1,000 bottles of beer. No wine in w/d but a some beer in the beginning and it was a lot less pleasant than while on Lexapro. A couple of sips of hard liquor in 2011 really flared joint pain and digestive issues.

One terrible thing about w/d is that normal escapism is lost. Not that I would drink to oblivion. But it seems most of the things I used to do to get away ... those things are not available to me anymore. A lot of that is just from getting off the drugs -- Ive lost the interest in addictive behaviors but I do miss the occasional peanut butter cup sundae or cup of coffee or hot chocolate with whipped cream. Or having a life.

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy