SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alcohol, including wine and beer

squirrel

I am almost three weeks 'alcohol free'. The first two weeks were the hardest but now I feel like I have crossed over and it is not hard at all. I am sleeping much better and feel more energetic. Alcohol definitely affected my sleep pattern and made the anxiety much worse. Before starting AD I never really touched alcohol, just the odd glass of wine here and then. But AD seemed to change my whole pattern of behaviour and I could easily drink a bottle of wine every night and sometimes more. I am so much better off without it. 

After the age of 30 I hardly drank at all. Then after being given SSRIs, Ativan and Ritalin, I started wanting to drink to excess whenever I could. After stopping the drugs after 7 years and in withdrawal for 2, the cravings are much less, but I'm still drawn to drink because it makes me feel better while under it's influence. Of course if there's a hangover that's not fun. Anyway it's good to read of other's struggles, and to know the AD drugs contributed to my problems with alcohol and the effect on my family. It's hard dealing with the guilt.

During 2006-2013 I was on various anti-depressants including (but not limited to) Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro. During this same period I was also given Ativan, Ritalin, and Oxycontin (2006-2009 for back pain). In 2009 I was given Clonidine to help withdraw from Oxycontin. In 2013 I stopped taking all medications except for hypertension meds. I cannot remember dosages. The HMO web site does not show prior drug prescriptions. The whole period is an almost total haze for me.

I have some experience with alcohol in recovery.

It started with using nyquil to fall asleep at night, and nyquil does contain a certain amount of alcohol (25% by volume).  I actually found nyquil to put me to sleep very peacefully without any hangover in the morning.  I used to drink 1 serving of nyquil once every 3 days or so to avoid any possible tolerance buildup from all the substances contained within.

I then started to drink casually with colleagues from the University, and found that beer really did make me drunk, but like many members report, the "fun" of drinking died.  I also got terrible life-alteringly bad hangovers - which were more like worsened withdrawal symptoms, for like 3-14 days afterwards, depending on how much I drank.  One time I got REALLY drunk with some colleagues, found it to be a lot of fun, but my skin got all numb and I had an EPIC depression/ worsened withdrawals afterwards for WEEKS.  I never made that mistake a second time.

After that experience, I would still drink, but I knew it was bad for me and made it difficult for me to function at a high level at school.  I found that even 1/2 of a beer severely worsened my withdrawal symptoms, usually for a day or two afterwards.

Interestingly, I found that the clear alcohols, such as vodka, didn't really have too terrible of an effect upon me, but it didn't really help or make my life any better either. 

I found tequila to give me almost a full panic attack, after drinking with a close colleague of mine - definitely did not repeat that a second time.

On a couple of occasions, when I was having panic attacks, I did something dangerous:  I combined a shot of vodka with 1/2 or 1 benadryl - and it completely knocked me out for like 4-8 hours.  I woke up feeling very refreshed and calm, no hangover.  If I remember correctly, I did this two times, and both times I would wake up in uncomfortable positions laying on my arm, the whole thing would be numb - and I'd have a momentary freak-out until my feeling returned.  I didn't try this again after the second time.

I stopped drinking alcohol about 14 months ago, after having a bad reaction to inhaling marijuana (that experience can be found here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5030-cannabis-thc-or-marijuana-to-ease-withdrawal-symptoms/page-2)

So overall based on my experiences with alcohol, it didn't really help at all - and often made my symptoms worse.  The only somewhat positive experience I had with alcohol was the nyquil use (which one of my understanding doctors recommended), and the occasional use of "clear" alcohols.  All of the alcohols of dark color, ESPECIALLY wine, made me feel absolutely horrible afterwards - often for a week or longer.

I feel like this is an important topic - because alcohol is omnipresent in our society and may seem tempting for some of us to turn to, especially if we've had positive experiences in the past.

I feel like this is an important topic - because alcohol is omnipresent in our society and may seem tempting for some of us to turn to, especially if we've had positive experiences in the past.

That's so true... specially here in europe. I think you don't have so much of an alcohol problem in america as here in europe, but in europe it's frightening the amount of alcohol people drink and specially the young age people start drinking alcohol...

I started drinking occasionally with my friends when I was 17 and most of the people in my country are already getting drunk when they are 15-16 years old..

And then in university when people are 18-19-20-21 the rule is getting drunk almost every weekend.

I have not really drunk (well, sometimes a bit) in almost 2 years because I started to wonder if the almost weekly alcohol during the first years of university was worsening the anxiety that made me start ADs last year.

I also wonder often if this high consumption of alcohol at young ages is partly responsible of the high amount of teenagers and young people with depression/anxiety problems.... who knows

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• 3 months later...

I took ssri to help with alcohol withdrawals . Now ive after injured . I m always think of alcohol again to help with ssri wd .

I wish i can be an alcoholic again .and not take this thing.

any body using alcohol during wd ?

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

• Moderator Emeritus

Alcohol will further destabilize your nervous system.  Many members have had bad waves brought on by a few drinks.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

revisiting alcohol as a recovering alcoholic does not seem like a good idea at all.  using alcohol during SSRI withdrawal is also a really, really bad idea for almost everyone.  even drinking while still taking an SSRI can be bad news.

i became almost completely intolerant to alcohol after beginning my tapering.  while i have had a few periods where i was able to have a few sips of alcohol rather than nothing, i have not yet recovered my organ functionality 5 years later.  drinking can cause serious issues for my body and mind, and they can last for days after the drinking.  many people here have symptoms that can last for weeks or even months after introducing psychotropic substances like alcohol during their withdrawal.

i really do not think alcohol will help you with this, and you could make your situation a lot worse.  it sounds like maybe you need some additional social support to help you keep dealing with the horrible withdrawal symptoms---if you are thinking that drinking might be a good answer, you probably need more encouragement and personal interactions that make things a bit easier on you.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever drank while on an antidepressant like Brintellix? How does it react with alcohol? Is it safe?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi tinker4, welcome to SA,

You are welcome to start an Intro/Update topic Read This First & Introductions and updates

Drinking alcohol whilst taking antidepressants or antipsychotics is not recommended:

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate vortioxetine food

Applies to: Brintellix (vortioxetine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of vortioxetine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with vortioxetine.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi tinker-- Drinking while taking ADs is not a good idea.  Been there, done that, almost destroyed my life.  There are several things to keep in mind, the first as CC pointed out is the interaction between the drug and alcohol.  Frequently the drug will intensify the effects of the alcohol while the alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.  The drug can mask the negative effects of alcohol such as the hangover or the realization that you've had too much.  The drugs also lower ones inhibitions and dull ones common sense leading to risky activities and binging.  And the big one is that many of these drugs actually increase a persons craving for alcohol to an extreme extent, making it very easy to consume way more than what is healthy or polite.

Once a person is tapering off of these drugs and is having WD symptoms the whole thing can switch very quickly. To the point that one can of beer or glass of wine can give you the hangover from h*** for several weeks and set off a bad wave of WD symptoms.  We have a large number of members that have experienced this first hand.

So after all of that the short answer is: Don't do it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I don't touch alcohol as I am too sensitive to it.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I can no longer drink alcohol of any kind now. I get a really bad wave that last for days after I've had a few drinks.  I have cut it out of my life entirely and do not miss it.  I have no desire to start drinking again, even when / if I am fully healed.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone else in WD has noticed that they don't get the same 'buzz' from drinking alcohol? I'm not a heavy drinker, but enjoy a few glasses of wine etc. I don't get the buzzed/drunk feeling, just feel tired. I'm 6 months into WD. 

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

I imagine this has something to do with dopamine levels. Any insight/thoughts?

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure -- but from what I've read, it's best to avoid alcohol during WD whenever possible. Unless you're not having any symptoms? 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

I had some issues with alcohol about 25 years ago when I was more likely to come off and on meds, and there seems to be a reason that some people drink more on SSRIs. There's an article on the Rsk.org site (Dr. David Healy's site):

Driven To Drink: Antidepressants and Cravings for Alcohol

Perhaps it's increasing the tolerance level, and for some people, causing more cravings. I've also read about this happening with people on benzos, too, especially since alcohol also acts on GABA receptors just like benzos. 

Even for a long time after we're off these drugs, it's possible we can still suffer consequences. 

Personally I have become more sensitive to alcohol (and caffeine as well). I get tired very quickly and my wd symptoms worsen. Alcohol feels like poison to me nowadays so I avoid it.

I used to be on Wellbutrin. What happened a few times shortly after cutting doses was that I had alcohol cravings. I have never ever before had alcohol cravings so it was really weird and scary! And my alcohol consumption has always been low!

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

Thanks everyone. I just miss that buzz! Will watch my intake, which is minimal anyways. Hope the buzz returns :)

• 3 weeks later...

Like Brassmonkey stated about I have "the hangover from hell". I drank much to much a couple of days ago and I still feel hungover. I'm nauseous, dizzy, etc.  I had 2 sangrias and wine. I wanted to feel normal again I guess. I was never a drinker and I do notice now that I sometimes crave a glass of wine. I will never touch alcohol again until I am safely off all meds. I just reinstated a 6 weeks ago and I further destabilized myself. I'm trying to drink lots of water to flush it out. Any other suggestions?

Marie

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

Alcohol is even less safe when you are off meds

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• 9 months later...

I used to love beer and the feeling it gave me. I cant feel alcohol in my brain anymore. It does nothing except making me lethargic the next day and it lingers for a week or so.

I think it also takes away from my recovery.

Has anyone else felt the same ? Do you ever regain the fun from alcohol 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here are a couple of links to existing topics:

beer

alcohol-withdrawal-syndrome

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I personaly gave up alcohol 2 years ago and its the best thing i did,for me i think its less hassle to b worrying about hangovers and the exspense that comes with alcohol.

I will admit that I was mostly a binge drinker and that will cause more issues than an occasional few drinks.

I believe the fact I am putting so much energy and time into recovery from these drugs that I barely think about alcohol and I can only report benefits.

I am even going to travel soon to help someone close to me stay off alcohol and find a healthier and less destructive way to deal with things head on.[have to fly and I've got extreme anxiety with stress].

Take care and good luck in your recovery. 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I cant wait to get that feeling back . I just dont know what to do about this . Everything good in my life is pretty much gone . I have sexual dysfunction , loss of emotions  - i cant feel good anymore. 

Its so frustrating I cant do anything about this. No pill is going to resolve this. fml

I haven't touched alcohol in nearly a year. No point giveing myself a drug that will hinder my recovery. I Remember the euphoria It used too give me before all of this. When I last drank some it left me tired and flat with an uncomfortable inner restlessness.

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

I truly believe alcohol will only set any of us so far back and be incredibly damaging. I believe this for non WD suffered as well, but especially in our state.. No way.

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

Are you able to maybe check out a new hobby? Have you heard of geocaching? I know how hard it can be to learn to have fun outside of alcohol sometimes.. But it can be done! Even if it's only while you are in WD recovery.

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

Yes, I've had the same feeling and posted about it a few months ago. How far into withdrawal are you loneranger86? Do you have any other WD symptoms? Things are evolving every couple of weeks for me. I have to believe these are signs of healing.

Yes, I've had the same feeling and posted about it a few months ago. How far into withdrawal are you loneranger86? Do you have any other WD symptoms? Things are evolving every couple of weeks for me. I have to believe these are signs of healing.

Hey Mimi11

Yea I have several other symptoms. The most debilitating ones being emotional anhedonia and sexual dysfunction .

What other symptoms are you going through ?

PS: Im completely off poison

How long have you been off of it? Which drug? I'm 16 months off of Celexa. I have neuro-emotions, some depression, sporadic digestive issues, numbness and tingling in my limbs. Sexually not 100% yet either. 

How long have you been off of it? Which drug? I'm 16 months off of Celexa. I have neuro-emotions, some depression, sporadic digestive issues, numbness and tingling in my limbs. Sexually not 100% yet either. 

Iv been off these drugs for about 6/7 months .. but every time I drink I set back my recovery a few months I feel. 

Another thing that sets it back is masturbation, sorry to be explicit 

Since I don't get the enjoyment from alcohol at the moment, I haven't been drinking much either. Probably a good thing. I haven't noticed any correlation between masturbation and setbacks though. Things don't feel quite how they used to, but there is still some pleasure for sure.

Haven't touched alcohol in nearly a decade.

It's way too toxic and harmful to my healing. Feels like acid in my stomach anyway.

Don't miss it either.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good. Has anyone had strange effects with mixing Lexapro and alcohol? I've been tapering and I'm down to 4.5mg now and the other night me and a bunch of my friends went out and i thought what the hell, I'll have a couple drinks. And I had two large margaritas and the next day I felt awful. Like a very strange, could barely even get out of bed kinda tired, not hungover at all. It's been 4 days and it hasn't gotten better. I'm literally fighting my sleep at work right now. I'm so tired and cannot focus and my brain just feels very off. More off than normal. Can the alcohol with Lexapro do this?!

End of August 2015 was put on 10mg Lexapro for anxiety.

Quit cold turkey in June 2016.

Reinstated 5 mg of Lexapro November 2016. I took 5 mg for 3 months and I tapered 10% every month with a few holds in between. I made the drop to 0 September 2018 and I've been completely off meds for a month. 

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good. Has anyone had strange effects with mixing Lexapro and alcohol? I've been tapering and I'm down to 4.5mg now and the other night me and a bunch of my friends went out and i thought what the hell, I'll have a couple drinks. And I had two large margaritas and the next day I felt awful. Like a very strange, could barely even get out of bed kinda tired, not hungover at all. It's been 4 days and it hasn't gotten better. I'm literally fighting my sleep at work right now. I'm so tired and cannot focus and my brain just feels very off. More off than normal. Can the alcohol with Lexapro do this?!

Alcohol and Lexapro (or any ADs) for that matter don't mix.

But also, I've never had any desire to put anything "toxic" into my body since being stuck on ADs.

Last week I stopped consuming refined sugar and yeast as well.

Major Life Events: 

I've always been baffled by how I survived 5 months after a cold turkey (basically 4 weeks rapid taper) of an SSRI without many of my major symptoms that I suffer with now. I went from 40mg - 0mg over the course of August 2015. 

Around the end of September I began to experience shooting pains in my head (I guess these were brain zaps) along with a white dot flying across my vision every so often. Then I had shooting pains in my chest and a few dizzy spells. Then a month or two later I started getting anxious and getting palpitations when drinking alcohol. Then 5 months off I had a heavy night of drinking and woke up feeling very weird (dream like), when I went to the toilet I felt like I was free falling - that made me panic and cue my first ever panic attack (felt like a stroke). Then I started getting my main symptom which has stuck with me till now 15 months later - this swaying/rocking/off balance sensation, tinnitus, floaters etc. 

Has anyone experienced minimal withdrawal symptoms and didn't even know they were in withdrawal and then got hit with a huge symptoms that far out from stopping?

Can anyone relate to this? I think its withdrawal for periods of time, then other times I think perhaps its something else. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy