SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alcohol, including wine and beer

squirrel

I went CT from and SSRI and immediately started taking Prozac. I think that masked some of my symptoms so I had some immediate tingling, depression, etc but the headache and off balance feeling comes in waves. I didn't have my first symptom until about 5 months after. Here I am almost 3 years later in the middle of another episode/wave. 

2009 - Took Paxil, first antidepressant every. Horrible shocking feelings and depression

2010 - Switched to Cymbalta 30 mg

2013 - upped to 60mg at the horrible advice of a doctor who then said quit cold turkey

2013 - Started prozac 20mg

*I have always been low in Vitamin B and around this time learned of Vitamin D deficiency

2014 - Horrible withdrawal symptoms....shocking feelings, pressure in head/tension headache almost

Had multiple tests and scans (MRI MRA CT - all normal)

Between end of 2014 to present off an on I still have symptoms. Mostly head pressure, pins and needles, sometimes shocking feelings. 

I went CT from and SSRI and immediately started taking Prozac. I think that masked some of my symptoms so I had some immediate tingling, depression, etc but the headache and off balance feeling comes in waves. I didn't have my first symptom until about 5 months after. Here I am almost 3 years later in the middle of another episode/wave. 

Thank you for the reply. Did anything provoke your symptoms at 5 months at all? Like mine being alcohol. 

Any you any better at 3 years now? How long were you on the drug you CT'd from? How would you best describe your off balance sensation? 

Yes....a major life change and emotional stress. It was very emotional for me. In the process I moved across the country too with my three kids. I am better now at 3 years BUT have the waves of symptoms. I've had this one since September off and on. Mostly tension headache feeling, eyes off a little, I feel like I'm buzzed or drunk with the off balance feeling. I was on Paxil and Cymbalta for about three years. I am very sensitive to medicine. I've never smoked, done any drugs and I don't drink. 

2009 - Took Paxil, first antidepressant every. Horrible shocking feelings and depression

2010 - Switched to Cymbalta 30 mg

2013 - upped to 60mg at the horrible advice of a doctor who then said quit cold turkey

2013 - Started prozac 20mg

*I have always been low in Vitamin B and around this time learned of Vitamin D deficiency

2014 - Horrible withdrawal symptoms....shocking feelings, pressure in head/tension headache almost

Had multiple tests and scans (MRI MRA CT - all normal)

Between end of 2014 to present off an on I still have symptoms. Mostly head pressure, pins and needles, sometimes shocking feelings. 

Hey IrishMonkey - 

I CT'd from Prozac after a year of using it and after one month of feeling ok, I suddenly got hit with minimal WD symptoms (brain zaps and hot flushes) with the windows/wave pattern. However, that suddenly changed and I got worse and worse with more symptoms adding up. I am  about 5.5 months out from my CT and the symptoms have morphed since the beginning and i don't get the windows/waves pattern anymore. I also get tinnitus that comes and goes and the very annoying eye floaters. My main symptoms right now are the burning brain, pins and needles, buzzing everywhere, chest tightness, and severe teeth and gums pain... I heard that if you did not have these symptoms before the drug, than it is due to withdrawal

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

• 2 weeks later...

I do . I miss that feeling everyday . I want to be back to enjoying my beer and having sex and everything I ever loved doing. Its like everything that I like is not a part of my life anymore. 

Why can't I ever find one single person who recovered from this ****. No one I ask has ever recovered from sexual dysfunction or this feeling of never being able to enjoy alcohol post quitting.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and using antidepressants. I am currently tapering olanzapine..

I want to ask you guys a question which i read somewhere about alcohol consumption and antidepressant usage.

In a forum which i don`t remember right now, someone says that alcohol and antidepressants are metabolized with the same enzime in the liver. Therefore, if you drink a lot of alcohol while taking lets say Paxil, it is metabolized much faster than it should and the person is almost like in cold turkey withdrawal. 

Does this make any sense ?

I realized if i drink, my symptoms gets much worse in the morning and the following 3 or 4 days 

BR, 

Gonzi

September 2016 - January 2017 Paxil 10 mg

September 2016 - January 2017 Olanzapine 2.5 mg

January 26th 2017 - March 26 th 2017 Could not cope with the withdrawl and reinstated 2.5 mg olanzapine.

May 26th 2017 -  Reinstated paxil 20 mg.

May 26th 2017 - September 2017  20mg Paxil , 2.5mg olanzapine.

September 2017 - January 2018 Tapered of 20mg paxil

February 2018 - Started Tapering 2.5 mg olanzapine. 

March 2018 - 1.25 mg olanzapine

• Moderator Emeritus

Gonzi, different medications are metabolized through different liver enzymes and this is often the cause of harmful drug interaction symptoms. This may occur between some medications and alcohol. With psych meds the issue seems to be that alcohol acts on the CNS (central nervous system). When we're reducing doses of psych meds we are making small changes that are potentially destabilizing changes to the CNS. Adding another CNS-destabilizing substance such as alcohol increases the risk of worsening symptoms or of adding symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi tinker-- Drinking while taking ADs is not a good idea.  Been there, done that, almost destroyed my life.  There are several things to keep in mind, the first as CC pointed out is the interaction between the drug and alcohol.  Frequently the drug will intensify the effects of the alcohol while the alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.  The drug can mask the negative effects of alcohol such as the hangover or the realization that you've had too much.  The drugs also lower ones inhibitions and dull ones common sense leading to risky activities and binging.  And the big one is that many of these drugs actually increase a persons craving for alcohol to an extreme extent, making it very easy to consume way more than what is healthy or polite.

Once a person is tapering off of these drugs and is having WD symptoms the whole thing can switch very quickly. To the point that one can of beer or glass of wine can give you the hangover from h*** for several weeks and set off a bad wave of WD symptoms.  We have a large number of members that have experienced this first hand.

So after all of that the short answer is: Don't do it.

Totally agree brassmonkey about the alcohol,I'm 2 years sober and drinking was much worse on the drugs.I am very aware I'm lucky to escape this period of my life.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hey if I can be a helping hand, i've always been a party animal before my adverse reaction to Prozac. 9 months ago, if I even attempted to drink a beer I would have a panic attack. I can now go out and have some beers with friends. I can tell it's hindering my recovery, but I realistically think I will be writing a success story in the next year, so I continue to make bad decisions.

Alcohol doesn't give me quite the same effect, but it feels more like alcohol every time i do drink (instead of feeling like i'm being electricuted) Drinking still screws me up for the next week or so afterwards, and it inhibits my ability to go to the gym which i feel speeds up my recovery. I try to avoid it for the most part, but anything is worth it to get some relief from this ****. Exercise seems to do me better than alcohol though.

The main reason I still drink is to keep my girlfriend happy. We met in the rave scene so we used to do tons of drugs cocaine, ecstacy, LSD together. None of which screwed me up like Prozac lol. Well those drugs are what made me think I needed Prozac, but that's a whole other story.

She has made a lot of compromises for me, to stop doing drugs because of what they have done to my life. And yes I am aware Alcohol is a drug, but it is much more predictable than that other crap. She still likes to go to raves which are literally a living hell to me, so much ******* people, lazers, and drugs. So I suffocate the anxiety it gives me with alcohol, which actually works now. 6 months ago it would make life so much worse.

I know Aeroman and "I survived PSSD" success stories both recovery from erectile dysfunction, but both of them said it was the last thing to come back.

Sorry about the emotional venting, but hey we're on a recovery site lol. I hope I could be of help.

Moral of the story, you will recover, even if you don't do it by the books. It will probably be easier to do it the right way, but i've never lived that way. Cheers brotha!!! ????????????

I really appreciate all you guys out here. This is a support system I never knew would work for me. I just hope I can come back someday and give people real hope when they need it. Thanks ProzacwasCreatedbySatan1. Will see you around here  bro . 

I really never liked alcohol to begin with. I wish I COULD like it, just to be able to hang out with other people who drink, but unfortunately I can't get myself to like it at all. I find the taste yucky, and also the stink of it is distasteful. The feeling I get from it isn't a pleasant "high" that others describe. I only feel kinda sick, nothing else. Never did. Meds didn't change my distaste for it. Probably the change was further social disliking for drinking. And I say that with much humor.

• 6 months later...

I was recovering for 3 months and feeling better each day. Then I had some alcohol with friends (3-4 glasses of wine) twice, four days apart and after the second time all my symtoms came back, 10x worse. I've now been bedridden for a month, I'm in a terrible shape, and getting worse each day. Can this have caused permanent damage?.. I am so worried and scared right now.. 

- I was on Effexor from September 2015 - April 2017 (exactly one and a half year).

- I was on 75 mg the first 6 months and then 37,5 for a whole year. I tapered down 37.5 to zero in 2 months after which I had horrible wd symtoms for 2 more months.

- After 2 months I started to feel better and was recovering from symtoms - this period lasted 3 months until I drank some alcohol with friends and now all symtoms are back, 10x worse. 

Small amounts of alcohol have a bad habit of derailing a good recovery.  The "hangover" frequently will start a few days after the drinking and can last for several weeks before it starts to clear up.  Given time things should return to their predrink state and you will continue to recover.  It's really scary to get derailed like that, but it ends up being just a small setback.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Ihateeffexor said:

I was recovering for 3 months and feeling better each day. Then I had some alcohol with friends (3-4 glasses of wine) twice, four days apart and after the second time all my symtoms came back, 10x worse. I've now been bedridden for a month, I'm in a terrible shape, and getting worse each day. Can this have caused permanent damage?.. I am so worried and scared right now.. 

HI IHE ,I wouldn't focus on damage that cant be proven but you know yourself you will have to stay away from alcohol ,this recovery will probably be the most serious personal journey you and all of us will go through,it has to be taken extremely serious .I don't think I would of had the strength to get this far if I didn't  give up alcohol .I gave it up before withdrawal hit me .stay away from the alcohol and learn the non drug techniques and give yourself time ,I know its  painful but don't loose hope ,you will get there .

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Thank you Brassmonkey and powerback. I sincerely hope so, I had more than just a small amount the first night, I did drink quite a lot but I hope it won't set me back or derail me too much. I'll definitely give up alcohol, I am done with this forever I think. I don't want to feel this way ever again in the future. This is absolutely insane. Thank you both for being so kind and replying to me! 

- I was on Effexor from September 2015 - April 2017 (exactly one and a half year).

- I was on 75 mg the first 6 months and then 37,5 for a whole year. I tapered down 37.5 to zero in 2 months after which I had horrible wd symtoms for 2 more months.

- After 2 months I started to feel better and was recovering from symtoms - this period lasted 3 months until I drank some alcohol with friends and now all symtoms are back, 10x worse. 

I was feeling better and stabilizing in December 2016 after one month of horrible Wds....then I drank on new years, I got a bit drunk but wasn't feeling bad. 6 days later I drank some wine with friends and ever since that night my general health have slowly declined (I am homebound since months) and I haven't had a window or stabilized yet. Does this mean that I am doomed Brassmonkey? I was not aware of how sensitive I was. I haven't got any hope left.. I think I must have made some serious harm to my brain cuz I am feeling worse every day. 10 months not a single day feeling better.. I hate myself for this. 

sketch-1509437215563.png

I started Effexor/venlafaxin august 2014: 1st year 75 mg 2nd year 37.5 mg.

Taper: first try 37.5 to 0 in one month. Second try: 18.75 to 0 in two months.

Completely off effexor since 26-11-2016 with severe withdrawals such as blurred/constrained vision, brain fog and vertigo.

11 hours ago, Ihateeffexor said:

Thank you Brassmonkey and powerback. I sincerely hope so, I had more than just a small amount the first night, I did drink quite a lot but I hope it won't set me back or derail me too much. I'll definitely give up alcohol, I am done with this forever I think. I don't want to feel this way ever again in the future. This is absolutely insane. Thank you both for being so kind and replying to me! 

your welcome IHE .you might be able to help recovery by cutting out all sugar and processed foods and get the best quality animal products you can afford .I personally am 11 days into a plant based wholefoods diet but only time and in a couple of weeks will tell if there's a difference in me .

Take care .

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi IMB-- my first thought was "my that was quick" I just left an answer to your pm to ask the question here on a thread.  Then I read the time stamp.  Anyway.  First off, don't hate yourself for what you're going through.  A New Years celebration and followup should not have caused this much trouble.  A few weeks would be much more like it.  Getting off of these drugs successfully is a very slow and controlled process.  From reading your signature and description of what happened, what you're feeling now is more than likely from back to back too fast tapers. It will take some time but things will start improving and recovery is possible. We recommend a 10% taper to minimize the symptoms WD will produce. It may still be possible to do a very small reinstatement to take the edge off of the symptoms.  We'll have to get some more information to help determine that.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hello again Brassmonkey. Thank you, you're very kind and I want to believe your words. Yeah, I didn't know that at the time, I would have done that if I'd know.  Ok, so a reinstatement.  I am 11 months off so I guess there's a small risk of a bad reaction now.  Do you think it could help me recover? or would it only prolong my recovery to do a small reinstatement? I mean, could a small reinstatement actually (help)  my brain recover, or would it only be a relief for the moment? Sorry for all the questions, I suffer a really bad cog fog atm and I'm trying my best to read about others experiences but it's very, very hard. Have a good day Brassm and thank you. 

Completely off effexor since 26-11-2016 with severe withdrawals such as blurred/constrained vision, brain fog and vertigo.

Hi IMB-- Unfortunately being 11 months out does make it harder for an RI to go smoothly, but we do have many people who have done it successfully.  It won't speed up the recovery much, but it should take the edge off the symptoms so it doesn't hurt as badly.  We really understand the cog fog affect, I fight with it all the time.  It would be a good idea to repost your questions about reinstatement on your intro thread.  That way you'll have a record of the answers for future reference and more of the mods will see it and be able to add more information.

On 4/1/2016 at 12:22 AM, tinker4 said:

Has anyone ever drank while on an antidepressant like Brintellix? How does it react with alcohol? Is it safe?

Alcohol will make a bad reaction with antidepressants, that's for sure.

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Miko789 said:

Alcohol will make a bad reaction with antidepressants, that's for sure.

If you use Drug Interactions Checker and type in your psychiatric drug/s and alcohol there are usually cautions about combining them.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Can a night's drinking for someone in wd have the same effect as kindling or adverse reaction? Can it set back and make recovery take years like in a adverse reaction? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been drinking maybe once a week, this past week I drank three different times, been off meds for 4 months now. I drink because it helps with anxiety and obsessions and I feel normal. I drank three nights ago and I felt fine, good actually. I usually don’t get a bad hangover and it only lasts half a day. However last night, I drank and I got very drunk fast and disoriented, I could not think clearly or even have a conversation. I have been up all night, it is 8:28am. I can’t believe I have not slept. Usually I am able to sleep after drinking but this hangover is ten time worse since I have not slept at all last night. 

Dont know what to do to feel better right now.

Was on Seroquel 400mg and Lexapro 10mg from August 2014 - July 2017 for 3 years. Weaned off both of them in April 2017, by July 2017  I was completely off them.

Reinstated Lexapro 5mg to 10mg Dec 2017 - Jan 2018

Reinstated seroquel  up to 400mg Dec 2017- Feb 2018

Prozac up to 40mg Jan 2018 - Feb 2018

Risperdal Feb 2018 1.5mg

Luvox Feb 2018 50mg. 

Seroquel 200mg - present. Going down to 100mg April 23, 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lojo,

You might consider limiting yourself at the very least to just that once a week drinking, or less.  And allowing your brain time to get back to it's factory settings without further psychoactive chemical  assault.  You are only 4 mos. out from a rather rapid wean/taper/CT of 2 medications.  No doubt you are really sensitive to alcohol right now, and for some time to come.  Best to err on the side of caution.

I think the best you can do is get some sleep today and wait it out.

Best,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

22 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Lojo,

You might consider limiting yourself at the very least to just that once a week drinking, or less.  And allowing your brain time to get back to it's factory settings without further psychoactive chemical  assault.  You are only 4 mos. out from a rather rapid wean/taper/CT of 2 medications.  No doubt you are really sensitive to alcohol right now, and for some time to come.  Best to err on the side of caution.

I think the best you can do is get some sleep today and wait it out.

Best,

mmt

hi manymoretodays, do you think if i go back to my original dose of trazadone would it help me with my withdrawals.

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

brassmonkey hi, do you think if i go back to my original dose of trazadone would it help me with my withdrawals.

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

• Altostrata changed the title to My drugs, withdrawal, and alcohol
  • Administrator

Merged several related topics about drinking alcohol while taking psychiatric drugs OR when you have withdrawal symptoms.

The short answer: Don't do it.

If drinking alcohol makes you feel worse, you cannot justify it no matter how much you used to like alcohol.

If you have a longstanding alcohol habit and you want to take care of yourself, you should gradually stop over a couple of weeks to avoid alcohol withdrawal syndrome. If this sounds like drying out, it is. It's up to you.

Also, please note: We cannot support people who repeatedly drink and make their withdrawal symptoms worse. You're hurting yourself and we can't help you, it's too frustrating for us and it will only annoy you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Can drinking alcohol for someone who’s in withdrawal (off medicines) have the same effect as an adverse reaction? I was on Effexor for 2 years and tapered off in 3 months, after which I had some alcohol on New Years. I was feeling bad but OK before the alcohol. 1 week after drinking on New Years I started to slowly get worse and it’s still continuing today, 14 months later. I’ve had mental and physical symptoms from hell and my progressing condition reminds me of others who’ve had adverse reactions to meds.. can alcohol do the same thing? Please, if you know about this, be honest so that I  know what to expect.. I haven’t had a single window yet.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to an existing topic.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

On 3/10/2018 at 5:34 AM, Oran said:

can alcohol do the same thing?

I'm so sorry you are having such long term problems! I know that alcohol shouldn't be used when on Effexor and I've seen people post about it causing them problems when going through WD. I'm not sure that it would still be causing you the problem for so long after if you are no longer drinking it.

I found that I can't take any type of NSAID that I used for pain in the past. If I take even one now in WD, I will have brain fog back.

If I were in your situation, I would evaluate everything that goes in my mouth. There may be something you have become sensitive to that you haven't thought of yet. Just an idea to think about.

I just noticed you are from Sweden. I visited cousins in Jönköping for the second time last September. (Just a month before my "surprise" late WD took over my life! It's a beautiful country.

I so hope you have a window very soon!

Dalalea (You will probably be the only one that might know where I got part of my online name!)

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

• ChessieCat changed the title to My drugs, withdrawal and alcohol
  • 5 months later...

Is alcohol in the food dangerous for us?

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Found this in a member's Intro topic:

13 hours ago, Bee5 said:

I (naively) thought that I could enjoy one or two drinks daily over the festive season, and my moods have been extremely low as a result. I won't be so stupid in future. Anything beyond a single unit of alcohol has an impact on my mood the next day, so as you said, best to stay away.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alcohol and beer

Thanks @ChessieCat, I see that the general consensus is to stay away from alcohol. I have still not stabilised, and the last time I had any alcohol was new year's eve.

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

On 4/1/2016 at 1:12 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hi tinker-- Drinking while taking ADs is not a good idea.  Been there, done that, almost destroyed my life.  There are several things to keep in mind, the first as CC pointed out is the interaction between the drug and alcohol.  Frequently the drug will intensify the effects of the alcohol while the alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.  The drug can mask the negative effects of alcohol such as the hangover or the realization that you've had too much.  The drugs also lower ones inhibitions and dull ones common sense leading to risky activities and binging.  And the big one is that many of these drugs actually increase a persons craving for alcohol to an extreme extent, making it very easy to consume way more than what is healthy or polite.

Once a person is tapering off of these drugs and is having WD symptoms the whole thing can switch very quickly. To the point that one can of beer or glass of wine can give you the hangover from h*** for several weeks and set off a bad wave of WD symptoms.  We have a large number of members that have experienced this first hand.

So after all of that the short answer is: Don't do it.

Noted @brassmonkey; here I sit in a wave after a few drinks on new year's. Have had to hold my quetiapine dose drop, going on an extra three weeks without dropping. Lesson learned I guess.

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

On 3/31/2013 at 4:23 PM, basildev said:

I’ve had wine twice now, 3-4 glasses and have gone back into terrible WD, lasted 3 days...won’t do that again. Also I quit smoking a little over 2 years ago and I’m craving THAT again. If I could stand the smell I just might do it too! Paxil turned my life into hell, can’t wait to get through this!

Meloxicam 7.5 for 5 years, Hydrochlorithaiazide 25 mg 1.5 years, Paxil 10 mg 3 months, Buspar 15mg 1 week, Restoril 15 mg 3 doses, vitamin b12 6 months 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy