nycdreamer What if our baseline is severe depression?

nycdreamer

Hi all,

I'm only 3 weeks in to a prozac withdrawal and the most insane depression has hit me with racing/ocd thoughts and feelings of being disconnected. I can hardly functionm I definitely experienced this before starting antidepressants. What if our baseline is severely low chemicals? What do we do?

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

Suffered hypomanic episode in 2014 and tried a multitude of meds.

Ended up on low dose Prozac for 1 month.

Currently withdrawing off of Prozac.

depression is not directly caused by "severely low chemicals" (for instance, the low serotonin hypothesis of mental illness is a disproved myth), but i can definitely relate to already having a hard time before medications.  the meds never cured my illnesses, but going off them eventually helped me.  it wasnt a chemical change, but rather an attitude and lifestyle one.

im definitely not implying you are 'choosing' to be depressed, its never as simple as that.  but, there are significant things you can try that might help you with your depressed and anxious state.  there are collections of ideas around here for treatment options, like counseling methods, lifestyle adjustments, supplements, non-western and alternative medicines (like acupuncture and meditative practices), and other scientifically validated plans for achieving greater mental wellness.

if you are still struggling, with or without meds, i recommend a variety of things personally:

1. having a counselor that can both understand your situation and give helpful advice towards getting better (whether they are procedural, philosophical, or take the form of recommendations to resources)

2. having a community or collection of a few friends that you can discuss your difficulties with and receive both support and encouragement in emotional and practical ways

3. taking responsibility for researching and making decisions about your own healthcare that other people might admonish you to 'leave to the professionals'---the medical establishment is NOT here to get you better!

4. GOING EASY ON YOURSELF!  seriously, a lot of issues arise from how hard we are on ourselves, with our expectations and feelings of self-doubt and insufficiency and judgement.  its important to be responsible and decisive about our life choices, but we also need to give ourselves some breathing room and understand that we dont control what happens to us, only how we respond to it.  and some situations are absolutely harrowing.

there are many threads and individuals with recommendations for how to combat depression and thought-troubles, and i am neither an exhaustive resource of those topics nor treatment options themselves, but im sure people will chime in and link you to resources with greater acuity than i am capable.  its good that youve found a place to ask these questions, because i have found the members here quite welcoming and information-savvy in my short time here so far.  please make yourself at home, foot stool optional.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

I also have questions like these. I was very sick with depression, anxiety and panic attacks long before I started taking the meds. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

I want off all meds but at the same time I feel seriously mentally ill and in need of medical help so I really don't know what to do about all this. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Administrator

nyc, you may be tapering too fast.

If you choose to live a life without psychiatric drugs, you will have to find non-drug ways to cope with any symptoms you have.

If you believe you are seriously mentally ill, you will always easily find people who will confirm your opinion, no matter what your condition. One way or the other, you need to take responsibility for yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi nycdreamer

I'd agree with Alto, you may be tapering off too fast.

Also when in depression it is hard to see a time in the future when you feel better, but it will very likely come. It is a quirk of our brains that we don't see it.

Ssri's have shown to be of some benefit some cases of severe depression. But virtually no benefit in cases of mild and moderate depression (and they are dolled out like lolly water).

Cheers

Damien

Off all SSRIs as at November 2016.

Been on SSRIs (mainly Lexapro) for around 15 years.

failed attempts to go cold turkey before I got proper info on it.

Over last 2 years I've slowly gone from 20 mg Lexapro to 2.5 mg Lexapro.

on 25th Jan 2015 I've now moved to home made liquid Lexapro.

Plan is to drop roughly 0.2 mg per month over the next 1-2 years.  

25th Jan 2015 2.5 mg Lexapro liquid.

24th Mar 2016 1.0 mg lexapro (crushed tablet mixed and refilled into capsules)

Planned to be at 0.0 mg lexapro by about October 2016. 

I also take 50-100 mg modafinil per day, no short term plans of stopping/tapering modafinil but will re-evaluate after I'm off lexapro. 

I spent the first 20 years of my life totally out of body with major panic disorder,hypomania and partial seizures. This is very tricky. So torn between eastern and western medicine.

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

Hi all,

I'm only 3 weeks in to a prozac withdrawal and the most insane depression has hit me with racing/ocd thoughts and feelings of being disconnected. I can hardly functionm I definitely experienced this before starting antidepressants. What if our baseline is severely low chemicals? What do we do?

Well, you could take l-theanine, that increases chemicals. Most notably dopamine, serotonin and gaba. - might very likely be too activating if you're going through withdrawal though.

Also prozac sucks. Horrible horrible med. 

Have been on psyc drugs for years, too many to include in this signature.

Currently on 475 mg lyrica, 37.5 mg venlafaxine 50mg seroquel, 2mg melatonin.

1-2.5 litres chamomile, only thing that seems to help with all of this.

Multivitamin and vitamin D prescribed by doctor for not going out in the sun enough. 

• Administrator

nycdreamer, I've made this into your Introductions topic as it has become about your particular situation.

How long were you taking Prozac, at what dosage, and how did you go off?

Please read

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It all started when I was about 5. I was in nursery school and felt painful adrenaline rushes throughout my body, episodes of depersonalization and agitation. This continued through my 20s and looking back feels much like akithisia. I started Zoloft in my 20s and it did help the obsessive thoughts tremendously and the anxiety. A year ago I started getting physically and mentally sick from the Zoloft. Doctors switched me from one drug to the next, only for me to end up back on Zoloft. I tried to stop it all together but ended up in the psych ward. I was finally switched to Prozac for its long taper and have been through a month of hell starting to come off of it. I'm in mental agony, having intense fear, obsessive thoughts and the depersonalization has been coming back majorly. I dont feel mentally here. My baseline is feeling out of body and disconnected. If thats my baseline, am I better off on meds? It feels like I have a metabolic disorder or something that causes miniscule chemicals in my brain. And I get floaty and detached. Help!

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

How have you tapered prozac NYC? It sounds like you have made cuts too big or too fast for your brain to keep up. Tapering needs to be slow to allow the brain and nervous system to adjust to the lower dose.  I would hold where you are and not make any more cuts until stable, or even updose a little but without knowing what your starting dose was or what your current dose is it's hard to say how much to updose. Everyone wants to get off the drugs and once the decision has been made it has to be right NOW, but our brains can't cope with that and need time. 

After reading your story it looks to me like you may have adverse reactions to some food additives, or there maybe something with your gut that is causing problems.  When my kids were small, I noticed that one of them became difficult and hyper when we were shopping. She was a total nightmare but really good at home.  Then I saw something in a magazine about additives and realised that was the problem. She was only like that when shopping, and we always went to the same cafe for a snack where she had an orange squash. I never bought squash or other sugary drinks so she never had them at home.  I stopped buying it and she had water instead, she was fine and it stopped right there. It was simple for me but if I had used bottled squash at home, or bought processed foods she would most likely have been diagnosed with some disorder. It could be anything, that is just my experience, find the cause and cure the depression.  

There is an excellent book about the GAPS diet, many psychological conditions start with the gut, make that healthy and the conditions improve. Here is the topic that discusses those diets. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/890-scdgapspaleo-diets/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I want off all meds but at the same time I feel seriously mentally ill and in need of medical help so I really don't know what to do about all this. 

Isn't this confusing? If we are born with a deficiency of some sort it seems we need to find a natural way to correct it if we're going to come off meds...

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

nycdreamer, I've made this into your Introductions topic as it has become about your particular situation.

How long were you taking Prozac, at what dosage, and how did you go off?

Please read

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Thanks for responding. I was on Zoloft for over 10 years then switched to Prozac to taper off SSRIs. Now I feel COMPLETELY depersonalized and detached. It's so scary.

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

How have you tapered prozac NYC? It sounds like you have made cuts too big or too fast for your brain to keep up. Tapering needs to be slow to allow the brain and nervous system to adjust to the lower dose.  I would hold where you are and not make any more cuts until stable, or even updose a little but without knowing what your starting dose was or what your current dose is it's hard to say how much to updose. Everyone wants to get off the drugs and once the decision has been made it has to be right NOW, but our brains can't cope with that and need time. 

After reading your story it looks to me like you may have adverse reactions to some food additives, or there maybe something with your gut that is causing problems.  When my kids were small, I noticed that one of them became difficult and hyper when we were shopping. She was a total nightmare but really good at home.  Then I saw something in a magazine about additives and realised that was the problem. She was only like that when shopping, and we always went to the same cafe for a snack where she had an orange squash. I never bought squash or other sugary drinks so she never had them at home.  I stopped buying it and she had water instead, she was fine and it stopped right there. It was simple for me but if I had used bottled squash at home, or bought processed foods she would most likely have been diagnosed with some disorder. It could be anything, that is just my experience, find the cause and cure the depression.  

There is an excellent book about the GAPS diet, many psychological conditions start with the gut, make that healthy and the conditions improve. Here is the topic that discusses those diets. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/890-scdgapspaleo-diets/

Thanks so much for your kind response. I am starting to think that it is heavy metal poisoning from vaccinations. I've read up on it and heavy metals cause disrupt neurotransmitter production. Until I figure out the underlying cause, I'm not sure I can walk around feeling out of body like this. I cut the Zoloft down slowly then switched to low dose Prozac for a couple of weeks... which self tapers according to doc. It seems no matter how slow I go the end result is a return of symptoms pre-med. The allergies idea is definitely good though. I wish I had a ton of money to do a bunch of alternative testing. I have cut back on gluten, dairy, etc. in the mean time.

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

How do you reverse cure the heavy metal poisoning? I wonder if that's what happened to me..looking back a heap of illnesses arrived around the age of first childhood injections..hhhmm..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hi there. The Andy Cutler protocol is the most respected way to remove heavy metal with chelators. Apparently, alot of vaccines can trigger illnesses and mental toxicity. Im trying everything at this point;) what illnesses did you experience as a child?

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

• Moderator Emeritus
 I cut the Zoloft down slowly then switched to low dose Prozac for a couple of weeks... which self tapers according to doc. It seems no matter how slow I go the end result is a return of symptoms pre-med.

This is not actually true, it does have a longer half life than other antidepressants and can sometimes be easier to taper from, for some people, but it still needs to be tapered carefully, especially if you have been on these kinds of medications for a long time, which it seems you have.  When you say you cut the Zoloft down slowly, what exactly do you mean? What dose of Prozac did you take for 2 weeks? Are you off all medication now?

Its possible that reinstating a small dose of Prozac, stabilizing and then tapering slower would help.  Please carefully read the links Altostrata posted in your thread earlier.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Here's how to add your signature from a phone or tablet:

http://survivinganti...nature/?p=84105

Ten years on an SSRI drug is a long time, and I would advise anyone in this situation to consider tapering over an extended period of time, possibly taking as long as 2 years or more, based on the symptoms experienced through the tapering process.  Some people may be able to taper faster than this, but others need more time.

Here is an excerpt from another post written by Rhiannon on another thread, which will explain why:

A lot of people, including healthcare practitioners; in fact, I guess, most people-- are operating from entirely the wrong paradigm, or way of thinking, about these meds. They're thinking of them like aspirin--as something that has an effect when it's in your system, and then when it gets out of your system the effect goes away.

That's not what happens with medications that alter neurotransmitter function, we are learning.

What happens when you change the chemistry of the brain is, the brain adjusts its chemistry and structure to try to return to homeostasis, or biochemical and functional balance. It tries to restabilize the chemistry. 

For example: SSRI antidepressants work as "serotonin reuptake inhibitors." That is, they cause serotonin to remain in the space between neurons, rather than being taken back up into the cells to be re-used, like it would be in a normal healthy nondrugged brain.

So the brain, which wants to re-establish normal signaling and function, adapts to the higher level of serotonin between neurons (in the "synapse", the space between neurons where signals get passed along). It does this by removing serotonin receptors, so that the signal is reduced and changed to something closer to normal. It also decreases the amount of serotonin it produces overall. 

To do that, genes have to be turned on and off; new proteins have to be made; whole cascades of chemical reactions have to be changed, which means turning on and off OTHER genes; cells are destroyed, new cells are made; in other words, a complex physiologic remodeling takes place. This takes place over time. The brain does not grow and change rapidly. 

This is a vast oversimplification of the amount of adaptation that takes place in the brain when we change its normal chemistry, but that's the principle.

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay.

When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse.

SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. 

It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. 

I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6655-dignan-pre-work-for-an-eventual-taper-attempt/?p=98469

I am starting to think that it is heavy metal poisoning from vaccinations. I've read up on it and heavy metals cause disrupt neurotransmitter production.

I guess its possible that your original problem was caused by heavy metals from childhood vaccinations. But if what you are experiencing now is withdrawal from SSRIs because of too fast tapering, then you need to recover from that first before you can address any underlying issues.

I'm in the same situation as you, I have underlying issues with anxiety going back into my early childhood, but right now I"m in protracted withdrawal from going off antidepressants too fast and my nervous system is not yet stable enough (not recovered) for me to start experimenting with or using treatments for underlying causes. Any changes which effect the nervous system or increased stress of any kind can make withdrawal symptoms worse than they already are.

Of course its your decision what you choose to believe, but I hope you will take the time to read through the help we have offered so that you can make informed decisions for yourself. Something to keep in mind while looking for information and deciding what to believe is whether or not the provider of the information has a product or service to sell, or is sponsored by someone who does. If they do, the information is quite likely to be biased in favor of what they are selling and not necessarily true. I'm sure you know this already, but I wanted to mention it anyway because its so easy to get caught up in all the unsubstantiated nonsense that gets written by people trying sell stuff, when we are desperately trying to find a way to feel better...it happens to me all the time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

*note, post and responses moved from symptoms forum

How long until our brain receptors work again?

Hi all,

I have that frightening disconnected feeling (recently stopped SSRI after 11 years). I'm wondering how long it takes for our receptors to readjust and feel human again? This feeling is horrifying. Talking to people is trippy. I just want to read and walk in the park.

Help!

Edited by Petunia
added note

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

• Administrator

Unfortunately we are all different and the process can vary...

I have read accounts of people feeling 90% better within months and some it takes years...

No matter what though... Every day you are returning to your normal self... You ARE getting better and YOU will feel like you can read and walk in the park!

YOU will do it :)

1999: amitriptyline
2002: fluoxetine
2003: venlafaxine
2007: Paxil 20mg
2012: Paxil 30mg
2014 june: Paxil stopped working and was put on citalopram 20mg
2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives
2015 January: doctors put me on sertriline 50mg
2015 February March: doctors wanted me to go back on Paxil 20mg
2015 April 1st: I wanted off and dropped to 10mg
9/5/15  Feeling worse for ware!  struggling but i WILL get through this

What did you all do during the first few months of withdrawal? Were people able to maintain work and regular functioning?

Zoloft from 2006-2014.

I am currently in the first two months.  As for functioning normal, my husband would probably say not.   I have had to have two days off work at separate times due to feeling overwhelmed.   I have not entertained my hobbies much lately either.  I have began an herbal supplement to help my mood be not so wavy.  I am doing yoga and meditation also.  Both help tremendously.  I have days were I feel ok then days that I am so irritable.  It's a process.  I never knew it would be so hard.  This website has really given me hope that I can get thru this. 

First prescribed antidepressants at age 24, now 40.  First round was about 5 years (Prozac then Effexor).  Second round since 2008.  Zoloft then wellbutrin for 1 year then Pristiq for 6 years.  I reduced from 100 to 50 mg 1 year ago.  Feb 13th began 3 week decrease of every other day.  Last pill March 6, 2015. 

• Moderator Emeritus

For me.......no......as far as work and normal functioning.  But I am older, well younger than that now.  But age and number of years on psycho meds could surely be a factor.  6 mos. off Lexapro(excitalopram)  and 10 days off adderal(generic amphetamine/stimulant) plus yeah.......easily overwhelmed, and things that should not be stressors are.  Oh and I did not wean down off my AD totally......went from 3 mg. to zero.  All these things "may" be factors.  Not enough antedoctal studies to date.

I am taking it a day at a time.  Having a hopeful day.

However......I believe, I believe in neuroplasticity.  No choice really.........

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I work but don't do much else. I sleep 9 hours per night during the week and on the weekends 12.

I have various strategies at work - being very organised, writing stuff down, breaking tasks I can usually do into smaller sub tasks, taking regular breaks etc.

March 2013-June 2015 reduced from 40mg to 18.5mg paxil. In mid June 2015, switched to Zoloft 50mg. (was on paxil approx 20 years)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

nyc,

I moved the topic you started in the symptoms forum to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. Please use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

nycdreamer, please read the links we give you.