Edie: my story

Edie

I CT prozac on the 30th of dec. The bad reaction with amitrypt. started on 22th of dec. And got worse day by day - that's why I CT'd.

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
back to 75 mg venlafaxine
2014 dec - 60 mg venlafaxine, 2015 jan - 55 mg
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 march - added inositol, niacin, fish oil
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edie

• rapunzel2

• KarenB

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

The lessening of fever is a good sign.  Lets see what happens over the next day before deciding on the Prozac issue.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie, 

I'm just wondering if the ven WD is still playing into this, though I don't know what difference that would make.  I just remember having racing heart - my resting rate was over 90 and I remember going to the dentist for an appointment and they take my BP every time; the nurse said wow, 99, did you run in here?  My blood pressure also elevated and I had heart palps, too.  As I read about your breathing issue it suddenly reminded me of times I felt breathless, but because I'm so dense about my body I just didn't really think anything of it!  I know Prozac could do this, too. 

I'm sorry it has been such a rocky road for you.  Question:  when you made your cuts of Prozac, did you get feeling back to "normal" before the next cut or did you cut regardless?  You said summer was nice, almost symptom free.  What symptoms were you still having?  And was there any big stressor that came up for you in October that could have triggered sensitivity, shaking your fragile foundation?

I'm glad you are back, even for the support as it is a lonely place to be, going through this :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi!

About the prozac cuts - yeah, I felt totally fine until i reached 6 mg - then I started to get anxiety, pressure in the head and breathing difficulties (in oct). The only  symptom that I had in summer was some tinnitus. Considering that my grandfather died in may - I was able to handle it very well (I was on 9 mg prozac that time). I only went through a normal grief process and I remember that in July I felt really good again and made peace with my grandfather passing. Also I didn't use any benzos from march - nov. Actually nothing really happened in october - I was studying with joy and was able to do my graphig design work until the anxiety attacks started from nowhere (the pressure in the head and derealization came with that also)

Thank you for the support!

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

I got this idea.. to switch to a small dose of venlafaxine. 5mg venlafaxine= 2,5mg prozac and I'm thinking to start with 5 mg venlafaxine maybe. Why am i considering this? Venlafaxine has been the AD with no side effects for me. (The only thing that happened with this med is that I after few years of use I got really fatigued). And one other reason.. it has such a low half life.. so if something adverse happens it gets out of my system far more quikly than prozac.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, you might have solved the question with your answer! I'm wondering if there  might have been some benzo withdrawal thrown into the mix, if you had been using them.  Kind of a long shot but worth looking at, a delayed response.  When I came off of Effexor, I didn't notice any WD until a couple of months later when the brain fog got really bad.  And then it was months after that that the severe anxiety, panic, insomnia and depression waves hit.  

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Yeah, I had the same thing when I quit effexor, the WD hit 3 months later. But with prozac I already feel really horrible - nightmares, vertigo, extreme anxiety ect. Been off 15 days now.

• Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't recommend Venlafaxine to anyone.  It is notoriously difficult to taper.  And if you take it for a few months and then have reactions, it's not just a matter of getting in out of your system because it will have changed your brain.  That takes much longer to heal. 

Also each time we switch drugs, it further sensitises our central nervous system, so this time round it's more likely to give you issues.  Better to stick with the devil you know...

If I were in your shoes I'd be considering reinstating a small amount of Prozac, but the decision is yours.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Well.. the thing is a little bit complicated with me. I also have crohn's disease and my mental health problems started long before i was given any AD's. And what I noticed now when I have not taken prozac for 16 days is that my gastritis symptoms have gone away - that makes me think that prozac was causing it ( I had it the whole time when I was on it, but thought it was because of my crohn's). Another thing that I noticed is that my pigmented purpura which came in the summer while I was on 9 mg prozac has become a lot less severe. So that is why I don't really want to take it anymore. I feel that I have to take a complete break from everything and really deal with my physical and psychological health, but I also think I really need a small dose of something (some AD).. otherwise I'm going to be really addicted to benzos, because the agitation and anxiety will be horrible. I think the wise thing to do here is to do a full health check  up and continue with therapy - I started this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_trainingand it really seems to help with anxiety. But at the same time I don't want to go into extreme withdrawal - that's what's happening now - so I think I will try a small dose of venlafaxine, because it is the drug I have tolerated the best in the past.

That sounds like a wise move, Edie. Reinstating a small amount , and then tapering off , slowly.  Please keep notes of your symptoms , and let us know how you go with the Effexor.

A,li

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

17th day without prozac - what a ride! I think I have never cried that much in my life. It is sort of even exciting to see what is happening next. Emotions just come out of nowhere with such intensity.. wow. Feel like a typical mad person from a cliche asylum movie. One moment crying - next moment angry as hell- next total apathy - next this even kind of sweet flirt with self-destructive thoughts. Well.. at least I'm not bored :)

Update: started 5 mg venlafaxine on 13-th of january and felt a bit better yesterday and today feeling also a little bit better. Crying spells stopped. Still have chills and discomfrot in the chest.

Started also some supplements:

Zinc gluconate 2,5 mg - going to increase it gradually to see what effect it has on me

Still taking vit C, fish oil, magnesium oil (on the skin) and Q 10

Thinking about adding lecithin after some time

Edie. Let us know how you go .   :)

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

good to hear that it seems that reinstantement is maybe working. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

update: depression has hit. hard.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie, 

I'm so sorry to hear the depression has hit.  It is truly awful to feel that way, I know.  This morning I decided to do a meditation.  Actually, I'm wanting to meditate once a day and try to be more present.  I listened to this one, and it is about compassion for self and others.  It just felt good to focus on the mantra.  Maybe it will help you feel better:  

http://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/meditations/LKM.MP3

There's others on that website and I find voice soothing.  i hope it helps :-)

SG

One question: I have this really big problem with my back and chest. I think it is nerve pain. Also my joints are hurting. Do you think it is because of the WD?

Hi Edie, 

I'm so sorry to hear the depression has hit.  It is truly awful to feel that way, I know.  This morning I decided to do a meditation.  Actually, I'm wanting to meditate once a day and try to be more present.  I listened to this one, and it is about compassion for self and others.  It just felt good to focus on the mantra.  Maybe it will help you feel better:  

There's others on that website and I find voice soothing.  i hope it helps :-)

SG

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to work? Maybe you could post it again :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I will try, not sure why it didn't work!  

The page that the meditation is on is here:  http://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/#guided-meditations

I'll try to put the link for the 20 minute loving-kindness meditation below, but if it doesn't work again, you can find it in the above link

SG

Hello again,

I'm thinking about changing clonazepam to diazepam. At the moment I'm taking 1 mg daily. Having a little bit trouble with the converting, cause different benzo convertes give different calculations. One for example calculated that 1 mg clonazepam = 5 mg diazepam, other one calculated that 1mg clonaz = 10 mg diazepam. That is quite a big difference.. What do you think?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie ,  I think you should post your question in the Member's Only Benzo. Forum , where the resident benzo experts will see it.

How have you been feeling this week?    I'm a big fan of the bath , and as much magnesium as you can tolerate.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I'm up and down. Every day is a bit different. Some evenings I still have a low fever and chills. I'm also going to my gastroenterologist on friday to check if maybe I have crohn's flare up, cause I have strange stomach aches. Some days my mood is almost stable, but other days I get extreme anxiety and feel very low. I think my main anxiety trigger at the moment is my physical health.. specially the strange chills and fever. Oh and I still have painful urination, but all my urine tests are okay.. that is also a sign of a crohn's flare up.

I'm in a quite intensive therapy (CBT) process also at the moment - It seems to help a lot actually.

I'm just trying not to worry too much and wait out and see what the doctors are going to find. 

Thank you for the support :)

Hello again,

update: I feel emotionally better, but I still have fever and fatigue. They still don't know what is causing it, but by the end of the week I should have loads of test results. Started a very slow crossover from clonazepam to diazepam and so far it seems to be working okay. Thinking about trying taurine, but I'm not sure how much should I take it. I have 500 mg capsules, but that seems too much to start with. I still get occasionally these strange breathing difficulties, but no severe panic attacks. Any suggestions about the taurine? I also searched the forum, but found different thoughts on it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would hold off on starting any new supplements at the moment.  

Until your klonipin / valium crossover is done and stable , adding anything may rock the boat.  

That's a personal view ,  I only think we should try new things when everything else and our symptoms are stable.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yeah welll the thing is that I have to take a lot of stuff anyway at the moment, because of my health. My cardiologist just prescribed me grapefruit seed extract and Q10, both in a quite high dosage. Hope they will not interfere with my CNS problems.

• Moderator Emeritus

Grapefruit is recognized to interfere with ssri's - try googling grapefruit and lexapro.  

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Omg. Read that it also interferes with effexor and valium. Okay.... So I have to replace it with some other natural anti-inflammatory and immune system boosting supplement. Any ideas?

• Moderator Emeritus

I trust Dr Axe , see this article about inflammation with lots of suggestions   http://draxe.com/inflammation-at-the-root-of-most-diseases/

Coconut oil is good for everything , lots of omega 3's  see  https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZz8zz-d3KAhUKkZQKHTLBB6cQFghXMAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FWellnessMama%2Fposts%2F1264330083582361%3Ffref%3Dnf&usg=AFQjCNHN_Gs8x3yQFuLdVgYTjXRQSx_VJQ&sig2=ykJZuSqVl604yWubFxNIEQ

"Coconut oil has a direct effect in suppressing inflammation and repairing tissue..."

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you Fresh! I actually am already using coconut oil and I'm on this http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/diet, because of my crohn's :) I also use tumeric every day.

• 2 weeks later...

update: not good, not good. Have low fever again and nobody really knows what is wrong with me. Crohns doc says it is not crohn's although I have quite bad nausea and stomach pain. Also I get pain in my chest, back and neck. Can this all be prozac WD??

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Edie - my breathing difficulties are what started my journey in 2010.

First I got rid of the cigarettes.

Then I got rid of the stomach acid drugs

Next, the statins

Then I started on the antidepressant

Then did 1.5 years tapering lithium

I still become breathless with what I call "uncomfortable heartbeat" at around 110 beats per minute.  It's not an extreme heart rate, but it is uncomfortable, like I cannot get breath or oxygen to my brain, and my head starts to pound.

My problem is adrenal.  You have been on enough drugs for long enough that you may have depleted adrenal.  I look after mine with some glandulars (adrenal, kidney, liver), herbs (ashwaganda, turmeric, bacopa, maca).  But I am not in withdrawal.

I understand the chronic illness - and the corresponding supplements (you should see my supplement trays, as I am battling adrenal, kidney, cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid, liver, and bowel problems).  Do you reckon the Crohn's was CAUSED by the antidepressants?  

You know that 90% of your body's serotonin is in your gut?  Think about that as you take your Effexor - how much is going to the gut, and how much (very little) to the brain.  There is a nerve, the vagus nerve, which stretches from the bowel to the brain, and crosses through the heart and other vital organs - soothing your vagus nerve might be a good strategy.  They call it the "enteric brain," or "second brain," and it might just be responsible for that "gut feeling" when you have a strong emotion.

Please continue to hold, you've been through a lot of changes, and take care - you can see how easy it was with the amitriptaline to have a reaction and not be able to parse it out because you thought it was the changes in Prozac.  Too many changes at once make it difficult to sort out what is good for you, and what doesn't help at all.

I hope you see the sun today!

ps in your sig - the last line is 2016 Jan?  Please correct, it confused me.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Thanks for your response. At the moment I'm back on 75 mg effexor and still on 1 mg clonazepam. My gut is doing a lot better by now, but what really disturbs my everyday life are the breathing difficulties and chest & back pains. I get these every day. Last week I srarted TRE (trauma release excercises) and it had a really calming effect on me. I still get these low grade fevers from time to time, but not every day. It seems that prozac WD is a really hard one.

I was diagnosed with crohn's before I took antidepressants - it seems we can't blame AD's for everything :)

• 2 months later...

Hi again.. long time no see. Having really hard times. For the past six months I've been sick all the time while on venlafaxine. I also got diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have hot flushes, different kind of pain all over body, pressure in my sinuses and ears andmy heart rate goes up to 170 bpm. And  I still have problems with breathing. I had a long discussion with my new doctor and she belives that the venlafaxine is causing a lot of these problems and wants to switch me to escitalopram and then taper really really slowly. She belives that escitalopram is a lot "lighter" AD and should not affect my heart rate that much. I feel so sick that I think I'm gonna go through with this. I don't feel like I have any options here...

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Well .. I have now come to the point when I have to say: "I should have listened to you guys at the first place". As I mentioned I started venlafaxine again in february and I did not get better at all - in fact I got worse. In the summer I got so sick I thought I was going to die. Terrible fevers, hot flushes, fatigue, nervousness, backpains, headaches ect. My doctors diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, somatoformic disorder ect. and wanted to put me on antipsychotics. One of them said that I should take Haloperidol for nausea :D That was the point when I fully realized that these guys don't have a clue what they are doing with patients. I was smart enough not to take any of these medications I was prescribed. No I'm tapering venlafaxine, because I got so sick on it that I could not function at all. I had to do it a little bit faster than you  suggested here, because I got hear problems from it and this really scared me. At the moment I'm on 18mg of venlafaxine and 0,5 mg clonazepam. Yes, I'm in horrible withdrawal (major depressive episodes, panic attacks, feeling of choking, different kond of aches ect.) but I also have a little bit more energy already. It was clear, that venlafaxine made me really sick and for some reason I can't tolerate antidepressants anymore (I used to take it for years before). At the moment I'm taking omega 3, magnesium, vit D, vit C and probiotics.

I was wondering if anyone of you knows any tips for the swollen sinuses that come sometimes with AD's and withdrawal? I have had problems with my sinuses the whole summer.. I also feel as my throat is a little bit swollen.

Anyway.. I'm not going to up my dose or change meds whatever happens. I should have listened to you..

Edited by ChessieCat
removed unnecessary partial obscenity

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie,

Really pleased that you didn't take the suggestion of another drug.

Discussion:  sinus-congestion-sneezing-and-runny-nose

Thank you for updating your signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management