SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips for tapering off bupropion (Wellbutrin, IR, SR, XR, XL, Zyban)

Altostrata

The half life of Wellbutrin is 37 hours.  The hour by hour fluctuation of this med is negligible, so hour by hour dosing would be of little to no value.  All it would do is add to anxiety and the probability of not getting your dose correct for the day.  Splitting the dose morning and evening might have some benefit, but more than likely not.  I'm glad that splitting your  dose worked for you HikingAlong, but I don't think hourly dosing of this medication is warranted.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Very interesting Hiking. I am going to look into this!!

Can't wait for the day that my brain is working on it's own again!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your input!!

Brass, hmmm....what do you suggest though if I've tried the dreaded purple pill and it made me so sick?? Thx

Also, when you say that the half life of Wellbutrin is 37 hours are you referring to IR, SR, XR, XL or all?

All that I can give you at this point is what I can remember. Will add more after I've called the zillions of doctors that I've had over the past 30 years. I have spent all day calling old insurance co's, etc to get the long list of doctors names that I once had, so will update this someday. Unfortunately, most records are no longer available. :(

Haven't started tapering yet. Will.

Currently am on:

• Cymbalta 60 mg/ daily - actually taking the generic for it. It is called Duloxetine
  • Wellbutrin XL 150 mg/ daily - taking the generic for this. It is called Bupropion XL
  • Naturethroid 3/4 grain/ daily - this is a natural dessicated thyroid med for my Hypothyroidism
  • Relpax only take as needed - for migraines

FINALLY started tapering Cymbalta by 5% reduction May 5, 2016

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, felin said:

Also, when you say that the half life of Wellbutrin is 37 hours are you referring to IR, SR, XR, XL or all?

See under the heading:  Pharmacodynamics for the following table:

Human pharmacology

Bupropion R,R- S,S- Threo- Erythro-
  Hydroxy Hydroxy hydro hydro
  bupropion bupropion bupropion bupropion
Exposure (concentration over time; bupropion exposure = 100%) and half-life
Exposure 100% 800% 160% 310% 90%
Half-life 10 h (IR) 21 h 25 h 26 h 26 h
17 h (SR)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

That looks like the half life of IR is 10 Hours. I don't understand why it needs an ER version if that's really how it works in a human system.

I only know my own experience, which was that it worked for me to have 3-4 doses through the day.

Hiking

1984 Elavil,  Zoloft, wellbutrin, other ADs. 1995 wellbutrin. Light therapy in winter. 2000-2002 Tapered wellbutrin very very slowly. 2003-2008 No ADs, no therapy. Felt good, vital, motivated. Then some losses and pain. 2008-July 2014 citalopram, escitalipram, zoloft, 300 mg wellbutrin XL

August 2014      300 mg wellbutrin, immediate    1200 mg neurontin     200 mg tramadol

April 15, 2015    175 mg                                            1050                              200
June 15, 2015    150 mg                                             900                              200
Nov 14, 2017     OFF Welbutrin !                                  300                             150

Feb 1, 2018        OFF Neurontin!                                                                      150

March 1, 2018  Starting to taper Tramadol. Scared.

May 1, 2018                                                                                                        142.5

March 1, 2019                                                                                                     88 mg tramadol

March 1, 2020  OFF Everything!

Treating depression with HumanCharger Ear lights, fish oil, psilocybin

• Administrator

10 hours is a short half-life. You may metabolize it even faster. If several doses throughout the day works for you, that makes sense. Strongly recommend taking the doses on a regular schedule and keep notes of how much you're taking -- this will be important while tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

So I only have Bupropion SR - right now dividing each 150mg pill into eighths is fine (I'm at 15/16 total dose right now), but in the future if I need to start a liquid taper is that at all possible to do with an SR pill? I was unclear as to whether the instruction to only liquid taper with IR pills is due to some chemical or physical limitation of the SR pill or if it's just that turning an SR pill into a liquid turns it into an IR liquid. Could anyone clarify, please?

1998 to 2005 -  Prozac, Wellbutrin, Adderall, Concerta

2005 to 2015 - Off all meds

2015 - Started Bupropion HCL SR, 150mg 2x/day.

2016 - Taper attempt with help of Dr.; too fast (50mg jumps). Went back to 150 mg SR 2x/day

2018 - Starting taper. Feb. 23: 281.25 mg/day; March 20: 262.5 mg/day; April 18: 243.75 mg/day; May 2: 225 mg/day; May 16: 206.25 mg/day; June 5: 187.5 mg/day, June 26: 168.75 mg/day.

Primary non-prescription therapies: magnesium, fish oil, distance running. Occasional meditation.

• Administrator

You can only make a liquid from immediate-release buproprion. The other types contain binders that will not dissolve well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you!

2016 - Taper attempt with help of Dr.; too fast (50mg jumps). Went back to 150 mg SR 2x/day

2018 - Starting taper. Feb. 23: 281.25 mg/day; March 20: 262.5 mg/day; April 18: 243.75 mg/day; May 2: 225 mg/day; May 16: 206.25 mg/day; June 5: 187.5 mg/day, June 26: 168.75 mg/day.

Primary non-prescription therapies: magnesium, fish oil, distance running. Occasional meditation.

• 1 month later...

I am in my 3rd month of taking bupropion, which was prescribed for suicidal depression. I initially started on 150mg daily and this was increased to 300mg daily (in an attempt to stop my headaches). I think I want to come off them, and not to be started on any other psychiatric medication.

The preparation of bupropion I am currently taking is a "modified release" form (Elontril®). I have searched the 4 pages of this thread for the words "modified" and "Elontril", and there were no hits. Does anyone know which preparation from the list "IR, SR, XR, XL" this refers to? My medication seems to have been manufactured in Spain by GlaxoSmithKline, "liberacíon modificada" translating to "modified release".

Cheers

• Administrator

Hello, Hoonie. Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum, where we can answer questions about your particular situation.

Please ask a pharmacist to identify what kind of bupropion you have. We can't keep up with all the brands.

19 hours ago, Hoonie said:

I am in my 3rd month of taking bupropion, which was prescribed for suicidal depression. I initially started on 150mg daily and this was increased to 300mg daily (in an attempt to stop my headaches). I think I want to come off them, and not to be started on any other psychiatric medication.

The preparation of bupropion I am currently taking is a "modified release" form (Elontril®). I have searched the 4 pages of this thread for the words "modified" and "Elontril", and there were no hits. Does anyone know which preparation from the list "IR, SR, XR, XL" this refers to? My medication seems to have been manufactured in Spain by GlaxoSmithKline, "liberacíon modificada" translating to "modified release".

Cheers

If you take it once a day, it’s likely extended release (XL which is the same is XR). It releases over time or you’d have to take more than one a day. X

• manymoretodays changed the title to Tips for-tapering off-Wellbutrin-IR-SR-XR-XL (bupropion) n utrin-ir-sr-xr-xl-bupropion/ring off Wellbutrin, IR, SR, XR, XL (bup
    • Administrator

Different countries have different brands and forms of this drug.

I am going to Primary Care next week to discuss a plan of action. Not looking forward to going to IR but see no other option.

All that I can give you at this point is what I can remember. Will add more after I've called the zillions of doctors that I've had over the past 30 years. I have spent all day calling old insurance co's, etc to get the long list of doctors names that I once had, so will update this someday. Unfortunately, most records are no longer available. :(

Haven't started tapering yet. Will.

Currently am on:

• Cymbalta 60 mg/ daily - actually taking the generic for it. It is called Duloxetine
    • Wellbutrin XL 150 mg/ daily - taking the generic for this. It is called Bupropion XL
    • Naturethroid 3/4 grain/ daily - this is a natural dessicated thyroid med for my Hypothyroidism
    • Relpax only take as needed - for migraines

FINALLY started tapering Cymbalta by 5% reduction May 5, 2016

• 2 weeks later...

Ok tomorrow is the big day - I have an appointment with my Dr. and I'm going to ask about starting a 10% taper off of 150mg XL Wellbutrin.  Thank you for the links to tapering advice here, I have read them and this is what I think the taper should look like for the first month:

Ask for a prescription for 75mg IR tablets

Cut them into 4ths. (18.75 mg ea piece)

Take one 75mg tablet and 3 pieces of another for a total of 131.25mg daily.

However, what I don't know is how do I split this 131.25 IR dosage so that I am taking multiple dosages in one day? From what I understand the Immediate Release tablets need several dosages a day, so I won't be able to take the full amount just in the morning. An even split of 131.25 would be 65.63mg, twice a day. If I calculated correctly, the closest I could get to that would be 3.5 pieces (56.25mg) in the morning and then again at night? But that only gets me 112.50mg a day, which is a greater taper than the 10% reduction that I am looking for. Am I missing something here???

I am very nervous to propose this to my Dr., especially if I don't have it worked out exactly. :(  Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Trazadone - 100 mg April 2019 - current

Cymbalta - 40 mg April 11-April 13 2019

Metformin - 500 mg March - April 2019

Lithium - 300mg nightly July 2018 - March 2019

Seroquil - 200mg nightly October 2018 - March 2019, 300mg nightly July 2018 - September 2018

Gabapentin - 300mg 4x daily July 2018 - April 2019

Wellbutrin XL 100mg October 2018 - March 2019, 150 mg 2012-Sept 2018, 300 mg July-December 2017

Lamotrigine 25 mg - February 7, 2018 -Februrary 21, 2018, April 11 - April 13, 2019

Abilify - 5 mg - 2013-2017 

Effexor XR - prior to 2010 

Laxapro - prior to 2010 

Pristiq- prior to 2010

• Administrator

I would take 75mg in the early part of the day and the rest in the later part of the day.

The two doses don't have to be exactly equal. Taking less in the evening may enable better sleep.

Daisyca - Altostrata also seems to be good with your plan, so take the following with a huge grain of salt! Switching from one a day XR to twice a day IR is already a change for your brain,  so if you do switch entirely to IR I'd take a week or two to just be on 75mg IR 2x/day before starting the taper so as to only do one switch at a time. If your doctor / insurance allows it, I might even be more cautious and use mostly SR with just a bit of IR to keep the release a bit more even - you could split SR 100 or 150s into halves or quarters and use that for the majority of your dose and then use the 75s to fine tune the taper so you don't go down 25+mg at a time (although I currently split the SR 150s into 1/8s, you might be able to do that with the SR 100s with a good pill cutter).  Also, I take less in the afternoon when my two doses aren't even, and that has worked well for me (n value of one).

All of the above is just my two cents based on my personal experience and (possible over extreme) caution in tapering. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. The appointment did not go as planned this morning. :(  I am trying to stay positive but am feeling very defeated right now. I asked about the 75mg IR prescription to taper off slowly, but my Dr. said that most people just stop taking wellbutrin without tapering. I said I was not most people, and given my withdrawal symptoms from stopping Abilify, which took me several months to recover from and were very severe, that I was concerned about just stopping wellbutrin without a taper. So the Dr. said she does not prescribe the IR tablets because they give the body a more immediate release  which can be shocking to the system (as if just stopping altogether doesn't shock the system). I tried to make my point, but she seemed unmoved. She then suggested that I just skip dosages with my 150mg, like take every other day. I read that people should never do that with this drug. I am so confused. She also suggested adding Prozac for awhile, to which I said no. She also said that some withdrawal symptoms would be normal and might take several weeks to even out. This is what I am trying to avoid!! 

I ended up leaving with a prescription for 100mgSR. My question is now, how do I use this to taper safetly? Can I go back and forth between 150mg and 100mg like every other day for awhile? Should I then taper further with just 100mg every other day? It seems as though I won't have the opportunity to taper off below the 100, that I will just have to stop? Unless I cut the 100 into halves and take half in the  morning half in afternoon?  I am frozen in fear of how I might feel/react during this time. This really sucks!!!!

Trazadone - 100 mg April 2019 - current

Cymbalta - 40 mg April 11-April 13 2019

Metformin - 500 mg March - April 2019

Lithium - 300mg nightly July 2018 - March 2019

Seroquil - 200mg nightly October 2018 - March 2019, 300mg nightly July 2018 - September 2018

Gabapentin - 300mg 4x daily July 2018 - April 2019

Wellbutrin XL 100mg October 2018 - March 2019, 150 mg 2012-Sept 2018, 300 mg July-December 2017

Lamotrigine 25 mg - February 7, 2018 -Februrary 21, 2018, April 11 - April 13, 2019

Abilify - 5 mg - 2013-2017 

Effexor XR - prior to 2010 

Laxapro - prior to 2010 

Pristiq- prior to 2010

DaisyCa,

You do have options.

I did most of my Wellbutrin taper by making a solution in water. It's complicated at first, but I got really used to it, and ended up doing my gabapentin taper that way, and now I'm using a solution to taper off Tramadol. There's a post somewhere on this board about how to do it.

You could talk to a different doctor.

If you have insurance, you could keep going back to your doctor to talk to her over and over until she gets it.

Trust your gut.

HikingAlong

1984 Elavil,  Zoloft, wellbutrin, other ADs. 1995 wellbutrin. Light therapy in winter. 2000-2002 Tapered wellbutrin very very slowly. 2003-2008 No ADs, no therapy. Felt good, vital, motivated. Then some losses and pain. 2008-July 2014 citalopram, escitalipram, zoloft, 300 mg wellbutrin XL

August 2014      300 mg wellbutrin, immediate    1200 mg neurontin     200 mg tramadol

April 15, 2015    175 mg                                            1050                              200
    June 15, 2015    150 mg                                             900                              200
    Nov 14, 2017     OFF Welbutrin !                                  300                             150

Feb 1, 2018        OFF Neurontin!                                                                      150

May 1, 2018                                                                                                        142.5

March 1, 2019                                                                                                     88 mg tramadol

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I've unsuccessfully been encouraging a young acquaintance to consider tapering 300 mg Buproprion XL - he having been on the drug for 3 years

for a first and brief depression.  I believe there is a fear and and an attitude of "if it's not broke, let's not mess with it.

"There isn't much in the forums regarding someone on Buproprion alone -  instead, it seems there is more on those who use it as an adjunct to another AD.

While the advice for tapering Bupropion XL is very helpful, it certainly doesn't seem like a simple taper.

I suspect that also discourages someone who is afraid to rock the boat.

I guess I'm seeking any thoughts as to how best to educate this person on the need for coming off

the drug.  His doctor isn't the original prescriber and most likely is just as happy to keep writing a prescription, sadly.

Is it more difficult/dangerous the longer one stays on this drug?

Any thoughts would certainly be welcome.

Thank you.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

Well... for me, Welbutrin was the most difficult one to get off. I got off twice, and both times felt like dying or killing myself at times. I had to go so fricking slowly. 

The motivation for me, the second time, was remembering how I became a real person when I wasn't on it. I had drive and stamina and liveliness. And my brain worked. 

After the first little while, when the AD makes you feel so good, it just gradually becomes like any addictive substance. You take it to not feel so bad. Which is very different from feeling good.

I don't know what will motivate your friend.  It's scary to change. They have to want to do it. Eventually, they will. 

It's not our job to change other people, but just to hold up a light to the way out.

Heidi

25 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Hello,

I've unsuccessfully been encouraging a young acquaintance to consider tapering 300 mg Buproprion XL - he having been on the drug for 3 years

for a first and brief depression.  I believe there is a fear and and an attitude of "if it's not broke, let's not mess with it.

"There isn't much in the forums regarding someone on Buproprion alone -  instead, it seems there is more on those who use it as an adjunct to another AD.

While the advice for tapering Bupropion XL is very helpful, it certainly doesn't seem like a simple taper.

I guess I'm seeking any thoughts as to how best to educate this person on the need for coming off

the drug.  His doctor isn't the original prescriber and most likely is just as happy to keep writing a prescription, sadly.

Thank you.

I was on the same dose for only 6 months, and it took me over 3 years to get off, as You can see by my signature taper.

I see your making the assumption that there is a "need" for Him to come off it.  

I would advise you NOT to pressure Him into doing so, until He truly knows what He is getting in to AND if he is willing to commit to years of tapering.

If not, it may be best to let Him stay on it.  The Neurological symptoms  My Wellbutrin did is not funny , and if I had not ALREADY been out on disability, I would not have been able to accomplish it.  For Him to attempt it half halfheartedly because of a friends pressure will either lead to an early failure with a reinstatement which is worse than leaving him be where he is now, or it will disable him to the point of being non functional and, if He is working, not be able to and loose His employment.

For this NOT to turn into a disaster, it has to be something he really wants to do and not half heartedly be peer pressured into doing.

Because when things go wrong, you will be the one to blame if He can't hack the commitment and the symptoms.

Granted, DONE CORRECTLY, it can be done well, but it's years of commitment, and if He feels "pressured", He may try to go faster than recommended and injure his health to a point that seems  irrevocable.

I'm sure you want whats best for your friend, but this is a serious life altering possible mistake you could be pressuring him into if He's "attempting" for the wrong reasons and reinstates full strength because he's half hearted and only trying to please others.

I would suggest leaving him be until HE wants off, only and until then do most people have the sheer guts and determination to live through what could be this hell on earth for him if he's "Double Minded" on doing it, and panics and makes the mistake of a lifetime.

This isn't a "lets try and see how it goes" game with an "easy fix" if he decideds he wants out... this is for real and its no going back once the hell starts.

And you dont want a withdrawal induced suicide on your conscious if he cant hack the torture.

Because we've had those here..

My topic thread says paxil liquid, but it also Chronicles my Wellbutrin issues as well.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

35 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Hello,

Thank you.

Look into Cinderella therapeutics tapering strips! You might need to ask questions regarding xl. I hadn’t yet found them when I went from 300-150 Wellbutrin so I I used a combo of instant release and xl, but I did use this company for tapering my Prozac and it really helped. You probably need to go much slower than they recommend which they’re willing to accommodate..

@HikingAlong @Colonial @emergingfromhell

Thank you all for your replies.  It is so helpful to get input from those who've been there.

3 hours ago, HikingAlong said:

Well... for me, Welbutrin was the most difficult one to get off.

Congratulations on getting off Heidi!  I'm sorry to hear it was so difficult for you. I'd hoped that it might not be so because of the first sentence on the Tips page, "Wellbutrin (bupropion) is an atypical antidepressant with a lower reported rate of withdrawal syndrome compared to the SSRIs and SNRIs such as Paxil, Effexor, or Cymbalta." Do you think your other drugs  taken at the time were a factor?

3 hours ago, HikingAlong said:

It's not our job to change other people, but just to hold up a light to the way out.

I would normally agree with you however, I'm not trying to change as much as I'm tying to point out the paradigm shift that so many of us have had due to our experiences with withdrawal.  For ex...  I thought I could never come off... needed it like a diabetic etc... It was a chemical imbalance... I stayed on the AD for so many years because I was afraid to come off.  I wish someone had been with me to encourage me.  But encouraging and pushing is a fine line.  Thanks for the reminder.

3 hours ago, Colonial said:

I would advise you NOT to pressure Him into doing so, until He truly knows what He is getting in to AND if he is willing to commit to years of tapering.

I think pressuring would be wrong too.  But he can't know what he's getting into w/o being educated.  Your response reminded me of the gravity of the undertaking and how it truly must be his decision.  I'll ask you the same, do you think your other drugs taken at the time were a factor in how difficult it was for you to taper?  I also noted you cut from 300 to 150 mg on the first taper.   Congratulations to you too for getting off! I am still tapering escitalopram and have a couple more years, even at 3.3 mg. 

2 hours ago, emergingfromhell said:

Look into Cinderella therapeutics tapering strips!

Thank you for the advice! I will research those here on this site and see what the mods have to say about them and the XL.  Did you come off completely?  How was your taper?  As difficult as the other two responders?   

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

3 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

I'll ask you the same, do you think your other drugs taken at the time were a factor in how difficult it was for you to taper?  I also noted you cut from 300 to 150 mg on the first taper.   Congratulations to you too for getting off! I am still tapering escitalopram and have a couple more years, even at 3.3 mg. 

It's hard to say, the fact that I started withdrawing off of 2 drugs withing 2 months of each other, Jan and March, and the doctor said he never had anyone have a problem dropping Wellbutrin in half like that, added to the fact that (innocent fools we both were), that I had ONLY been on it 6 months it wouldnt be a problem, but it wasn't until July I was in serious trouble.  Didn't know that Wellbutrin was a Paxil booster, etc.  You can see from my sig line I knew to start slow with the Paxil but didn't realise that the small amount of time on a drug was irrelevant to tapering the Wellbutrin. But the 2 meds did have different symptoms to some extent, at least that I could see.  Once I found this site I learned to get off the Wellbutrin first, since it was the more stimulating drug.  I still get the Neurological Symptoms every Autumn and just had a bad flare up again, coincidentally, 2 nights ago.  But every time I make too big of a Paxil drop the Wellbutrin symptoms come back too and I'm smelling colors and tasting numbers and smelling smoke or burnt steak, missing time, the usual.  Thank You Glaxo Smith Kline.  I think the difficulty was I just didn't take enough time in between drops.  Dropped in half and then made another a month later, than another 20 days later, etc.  The thing is, you know you feel bad, but you tough it out, until the day you make one drop too quick or 1 mg too many, and its the straw that broke the camels back, and then its too late and your done for.  I had to hold for 9 months before I could restart and I almost died 2 times, once almost driving the car off the road when my vision went tunnel blind on me, , going to bed with the oven on, etc. All the "accidental deaths" that really are due to WD Syndrome that never get counted as such, it's sad.  To be honest, I think the biggest bother also was changing half my paxil extend tab to the liquid, that was wicked.  that really, after 20 years of it in that form, the change was too much.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

I do wish the moderators would take the word of those who have struggled to get off Welbutrin, and change the basic Welbutrin info on this site to reflect our real life experiences. Some people do get off it easily. But they don't need the support here. It's those who struggle that need to see that their experience is normal. It's the drug, not the person. I don't know any better advice than to take it extremely slowly. 

4 hours ago, HikingAlong said:

I do wish the moderators would take the word of those who have struggled to get off Welbutrin, and change the basic Welbutrin info on this site to reflect our real life experiences. Some people do get off it easily. But they don't need the support here. It's those who struggle that need to see that their experience is normal. It's the drug, not the person. I don't know any better advice than to take it extremely slowly. 

The reason Wellbutrin gets a "free ride", is because some of the most horrid symptoms are so delayed, than neither You nor Your doctor connect the WD with the symptom.  Neither of You connect the dots that Your struggling with such horrid symptoms 4 months out after going off the med.  I had symptoms that were so delayed, that if I had not already been a member of this site, I would not have known they were Wellbutrin related.  I would not have known when my menstrual cycles went so far off kilter 4 months after dropping my dose in half that that was the cause.  It's just inconceivable to most people that such delayed reactions can lie in wait to strike. That is why the WD symptons are under reported for this drug.  Their havoc is all misdiagnosed as other physical or neurological issues. Which is just, Im' sure, how the manufacturer wants it...

• 1 month later...

Title added:  Wellbutrin only exists in Prolonged Release Form in Ireland.  What to do?

Hi everyone,

Manymoredays has been very kindly advising me on cycling off Wellbutrin, but I've hit a huge wall. My doctor, pharmacist and psych here in Ireland say that Wellbutrin only exists in prolonged release form in Ireland. Apparently this is what I have been on all along. I'm on 150mg. 

In Ireland this drug is only prescribed for smoking cessation for 9 weeks. I was put on it for exhaustion, and now I'm stuck. It's been 3 years. 

How do I cycle down off 150mg prolonged release when that is all I have to work with? I'm really upset. I feel like I'm leading the professionals in the dark, while trying to remain calm. 

Edited by manymoretodays
    merged with Wellbutrin topic, title added

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years.  Tricky journey. 

Finally off October 2018. Once over the fallout, haven't looked back. 

• Been on 150mg Prolonged Release Zyban for 3.5 yrs.
    • It comes in blank plastic pouches.
    • The code on the pill is GX CH7.
    • The full pill weight is 0.42 grams.  

Starting tapering journey May 2020.  Cut the tablet into 4 quarters. Found the pill cutter very inexact for this kind of tablet. Sizes varied hugely.

Tried one half in morning and the other 2 quarters at regular intervals. Abandoned that plan fast, as half an immediate release made me feel like I'd had 300 coffees.
    Took a quarter every few hours instead. Which meant I dropped by a whole quarter. This had me bumpy for 2 weeks.
    31st July - began skipping the middle 1/4 on alternating days. VERY BAD IDEA. Doctor's advice. Thanks to Chessiecat and Altostrata and went back to the 1/4 three times a day. 
    15th September went down by 10%;29th October went down by 10%;Mid December will cut 10% again. 
    Approx three 10% cuts (pill weight) since January 2021 (2021). Each is pretty bumpy. 
    July 2021 - Am now at 0.06 grams (pill weight) x 3 daily. (The whole pill weighs 0.42 grams)

• Moderator Emeritus

I replied in your topic MollyMac, @MollyMac and have asked for further input. 

And yes, yes.......stay calm and good job doing so.  It can be difficult for many of us, if not most, to get professional support to taper cautiously.

You're not alone here, in that.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

19 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

I replied in your topic MollyMac, @MollyMac and have asked for further input. 

And yes, yes.......stay calm and good job doing so.  It can be difficult for many of us, if not most, to get professional support to taper cautiously.

You're not alone here, in that.

Thank you SO much. I would like to start soon. Things are quieter now, I have the space to do it.

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years.  Tricky journey. 

Starting tapering journey May 2020.  Cut the tablet into 4 quarters. Found the pill cutter very inexact for this kind of tablet. Sizes varied hugely.

Tried one half in morning and the other 2 quarters at regular intervals. Abandoned that plan fast, as half an immediate release made me feel like I'd had 300 coffees.
    Took a quarter every few hours instead. Which meant I dropped by a whole quarter. This had me bumpy for 2 weeks.
    31st July - began skipping the middle 1/4 on alternating days. VERY BAD IDEA. Doctor's advice. Thanks to Chessiecat and Altostrata and went back to the 1/4 three times a day. 
    15th September went down by 10%;29th October went down by 10%;Mid December will cut 10% again. 
    Approx three 10% cuts (pill weight) since January 2021 (2021). Each is pretty bumpy. 
    July 2021 - Am now at 0.06 grams (pill weight) x 3 daily. (The whole pill weighs 0.42 grams)

• Administrator

Regarding tapering from 150mg bupropion XR when you cannot substitute the immediate-release tablets:

49 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, MollyMac. There is a gadget for splitting pills, but to be honest, it probably isn't any better than a sharp knife for cutting a tablet into thirds or fourths.

If I were you, I would cut your tablet into quarters (37.5mg each), take 4 times a day, such as 8 a.m., 12 noon, 4 p.m., 8 p.m. You may have to get used to that for a week or so, because each quarter might release its contents quickly.

Then, you are in a position to drop one quarter (37.5mg); change your quarter-tablet schedule to 8 a.m., 2 p.m., 8 p.m. This is a little steeper than we'd like, but all you can do with an extended-release tablet, you can't make a liquid from it.

This may work for you. If not, are you able to get tapering strips in Ireland? Your GP would have to order them.

Let us know how you're doing.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL / Zyban (buproprion)
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 5/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, Altostrata said:

Then, you are in a position to drop one quarter (37.5mg); change your quarter-tablet schedule to 8 a.m., 2 p.m., 8 p.m. This is a little steeper than we'd like, but all you can do with an extended-release tablet, you can't make a liquid from it.

Hi, me again - with all the questions. I'm so sorry for asking so many. If my prolonged release tablet becomes extended release once I cut it into quarters - can I still not make a liquid from it? 

• Administrator

No, you cannot make a liquid from any bupropion extended-release or sustained-release tablet. The tablets are held together with a glue that clumps when water is added.

You can make a liquid only with immediate-release bupropion.

• 3 months later...

Tapering Bupropion

I would like to know the difference between a modified release dose and a regular dose of Bupropion.

Edited by ChessieCat
    added topic title

• Administrator

Please read this topic from the beginning.

• Mentor

Bit of late night humor. Saw in the preview, "Tips of Tapering off Well..."

Began reading thread. Couldn't figure out why every post was about Wellbutrin. 😆

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
    🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

12 hours ago, ShiningLight said:

Began reading thread. Couldn't figure out why every post was about Wellbutrin. 😆

Lol! I jumped into the middle of  a person's thread once and thought: "Wow, that sounds exactly like what happened to Me" to realize it was my own thread.

Hahaha.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy