SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ oskcajga: Partial recovery: SSRI/SNRI withdrawal and adverse reaction

oskcajga

• Administrator

Did you first go on antidepressants because you were feeling listless and uninterested in your life?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oskcajga

• btdt

• apace41

• LexAnger

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Osk, I also want to chime in here noting also that you are ONLY 2 yrs and 2 months drug free.

I would like to tell you that when i was at that point i was in a bad place ....still. In fact for 2-3 yrs i still wondered if i was ever going to make it.

But i just held on. Each yr in hindsight from then on saw small improvement.

I hope you continue to post regularly i enjoy reading your posts.

Just let go of all expectations ...for the meantime.

I tried to as hard as it was to concentrate on what i could do and gently push the envelope.

Its taken me until im in my seventh year to be able to return to work which really scared me as i was full of what if's....however im doing it. Heres the thing i couldnt have done it any sooner.

I have no doubt that at some stage you WILL be able to work again too. Yes you may have to wait another few years  to have the strength and stability to do it. Maybe it will happen sooner.

So in the meantime keep up the exercise, i believe it helped me, even though at the time i often didnt think it was doing much.

Is there something you can do for just one or two hours a week paid or one or two hours a week volunteer. Is there some further study you can do while recovering in wdl ...this is a great way to spend time.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Did you first go on antidepressants because you were feeling listless and uninterested in your life?

This is a very generic question. 

Hi Osk, I also want to chime in here noting also that you are ONLY 2 yrs and 2 months drug free.

I would like to tell you that when i was at that point i was in a bad place ....still. In fact for 2-3 yrs i still wondered if i was ever going to make it.

But i just held on. Each yr in hindsight from then on saw small improvement.

I hope you continue to post regularly i enjoy reading your posts.

Just let go of all expectations ...for the meantime.

I tried to as hard as it was to concentrate on what i could do and gently push the envelope.

Its taken me until im in my seventh year to be able to return to work which really scared me as i was full of what if's....however im doing it. Heres the thing i couldnt have done it any sooner.

I have no doubt that at some stage you WILL be able to work again too. Yes you may have to wait another few years  to have the strength and stability to do it. Maybe it will happen sooner.

So in the meantime keep up the exercise, i believe it helped me, even though at the time i often didnt think it was doing much.

Is there something you can do for just one or two hours a week paid or one or two hours a week volunteer. Is there some further study you can do while recovering in wdl ...this is a great way to spend time.

Actually, I work a full time job (not in my profession of course, my central nervous system has been too thoroughly devastated to teach).

Money is more important than anything else when it comes to surviving antidepressants, and then self care and not being stupid with taking medications and going to psychiatrists and avoiding recreational drugs -  obviously. 

This is a lengthy process, and it's a process that may take the rest of our lives - I don't expect to recover at this point, but maybe some day I'll have a harder time noticing the symptoms.

If I had known it would take this long I would have made different decisions earlier on in this process.

What do you mean by this?

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

• 1 month later...

If I had known it would take this long I would have made different decisions earlier on in this process.

What do you mean by this?

I honestly wouldn't have come back home, I'd have just met my fate on my own without involving anyone else in this miserable process.   I made some  bad decisions along the way I regret to this day, and I made most of those decisions because I had hope that things would get better within a couple of years.

• 2 months later...

I've come to the conclusion that this condition is nearly impossible to treat medicinally and manage.  You either suffer through the agony on a daily basis, or try to treat the symptoms but fail miserably only to either find yourself with nothing to show for your efforts, or worse off than before.

I want to try CBD oil but I don't know how to get my hands on some - I heard it works well and I am just about willing to try anything right now.  If someone has a brand they recommend could you please post a link below?   

I'm considering just giving up and going back on adderall, things are not improving in a way that makes me feel hopeful.  I have tried literally everything imaginable to treat this condition and live the symptoms, but I have nothing to show. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm really sorry to hear you are still struggling osk.

Do you feel like sharing with us about the symptoms that still bother you and what you say you have tried to 'treat this condition'.

Our condition sometimes reminds me of a wound: the more you touch it and the more things you throw at it to make it heal faster the worse it gets.

Here is our discussion on CBD oil:

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

https://www.solcbd.com/

Sol cbd.  It's been around for awhile--legal in all states as there is NO THC in it. I've been using it for quite awhile. I'm pretty healthy, but of course it's hard to say what's causing what.  We have endocannabinoid receptors throughout our body, and it's my belief that cannabis in general is good for people. During withdrawal, however, I would extremely careful about smoking/vaping cannabis that does contain THC (there are strains that have high CBDs but low/no THC).  It is perhaps possible that cannabis might even help in withdrawal (especially low-sativa/high indica strains), BUT there a plenty of reports of people who have done so and had their recovery stymied or even turned backward as a result.  I personally wouldn't take the chance, if I were in acute withdrawal.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

Osk,

You aren't alone in this.  I was on a similar combo as you with the addition of a benzo and haven't seen much, if any improvement in the last 3 years.  Still living in a nightmare.  I've often considered going back to Adderall to see if there's any improvement.  Any relief or slight increase in quality of life would be worth it at this point.

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

$300 for a bottle of CBD oil?   I appreciate the link but... does this stuff actually help with nerve pain in a noticeable way? 

I think you're right about the marijuana that's low in sativa.  but it's tough to figure out the correct strains in a state where there are no dispensaries. 

Osk, I am sending healing wishes your way.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, Martina23 said:

Osk, I am sending healing wishes your way.

Me too.  Sending healing wishes...........

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunate turn of events, workplace tensions have worsened my symptoms now at risk of losing my sh*tty but full time job I've had for the past 1.5 years.  This job has certainly not helped me improve much, but lately I've been targeted by a mentally ill employee who has leverage on the company and has it out for me because she's insane.  Life has been hell and I called out sick for a week because my legs went numb. 

Very annoying turn of events and yet I'm powerless to do anything about it.  I am likely to resign without notice as the stress is doing nothing but exacerbate my symptoms and make me hate everything - having not worked for a while has allowed me to calm down and not hate the world as much (I still hate it though, that will never change). 

I have another job lined up, as a supervisor but I have a distinct feeling that I will fail miserably at that job as my eyesight sucks.  I will fail at this job and hopefully losing my job is all that happens - very VERY tough situation, either I chose a job I know I'll fail at or stick with a stressful job that will make me more sick.

Haven't been this stressed out in a while, things went from being tolerable to suddenly very bad in a short period of time.

I should have been smarter and known that this condition was permanent - biggest mistake was treating this like I would actually recover.  Optimism was ironically my greatest mistake. 

Cursed existence.

7 hours ago, oskcajga said:

Unfortunate turn of events, workplace tensions have worsened my symptoms now at risk of losing my sh*tty but full time job I've had for the past 1.5 years.  This job has certainly not helped me improve much, but lately I've been targeted by a mentally ill employee who has leverage on the company and has it out for me because she's insane.  Life has been hell and I called out sick for a week because my legs went numb. 

Very annoying turn of events and yet I'm powerless to do anything about it.  I am likely to resign without notice as the stress is doing nothing but exacerbate my symptoms and make me hate everything - having not worked for a while has allowed me to calm down and not hate the world as much (I still hate it though, that will never change). 

I have another job lined up, as a supervisor but I have a distinct feeling that I will fail miserably at that job as my eyesight sucks.  I will fail at this job and hopefully losing my job is all that happens - very VERY tough situation, either I chose a job I know I'll fail at or stick with a stressful job that will make me more sick.

Haven't been this stressed out in a while, things went from being tolerable to suddenly very bad in a short period of time.

I should have been smarter and known that this condition was permanent - biggest mistake was treating this like I would actually recover.  Optimism was ironically my greatest mistake. 

Cursed existence.

sorry for your troubles oskcajga .what a pain being around a colleague like this .if the world only knew how we suffer .

I see your off drugs a good while ,do you practice the non drug techniques to cope with life ,its a wild jungle out there at the best of times ,have you tried  change the channel in your mind  ,I find myself doing this constantly in withdrawl .

fake it till you make it in your new job ,people are doing that in the world without going through what we have to .

when we get off the drugs we have to learn new ways to cope .these drugs are so powerful at turning emotions and feelings off and then we come off them and bang we are hit by a bus with feelings and emotions that are nearly impossible to  navigate through. 

I'm looking into the next 5 to 10 years and how to manage life because these drugs have probably worn away my ability to cope with stress ,I'm getting into some extreme emotional states tapering ,I always had a nasty self critic chattering away at me ,so you can imagine what its like now :(.but I'm trying very hard to understand and cope and move on .

change the optimism into faking it .

please be nice to yourself in this very stressful time .

take care

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

That's a good point about other people struggling to survive. 

Coping with life is a relative term.  There's some things that can help pass the time better than others - work is great, but you have to find a low stress job, high stress will  just make things way worse and slow if not even reverse your healing completely. 

There are some drugs that help for a short period of time, but you have to be careful not to do too much and too frequently, so it's barely an acceptable method for coping with this condition.  If you're really smart about it you can probably get 2 or 3 days a week in a drug induced oblivious state without getting any dependency and addiction, but few are capable of self control to that degree. 

Osk, we dont know if this condition is permanent. We think so, but it can be also other. Just keep fighting!

Such mentally ill employees you will find everywhere you go. It is more a miracle job, if you find none. If you can not hold on, then just quit. You will always find some job. If I were you, I would try the job for which you have really qualification. You can always fail, but the job for which you have qualification will make you more fun and so your work will be better. You will also enjoy your life more.

Dont take it too serious, if they kick you out, it is nowadays normal, I have flown already so many times...

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, Martina23 said:

Osk, we dont know if this condition is permanent. We think so, but it can be also other.

Can you clarify, Martina?  What condition do we "think" is permanent?

Thanks,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

On 13.8.2017 at 3:40 AM, oskcajga said:

Cursed existence.

Osk in his post said that he should have been smarter and known that this condition was permanent. And I answered that we dont know if it is permanent.

Kind regards

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, Martina23 said:

And I answered that we dont know if it is permanent.

Yes, but you then went on to say "we think so."  I don't know who "we" is that think so, but I'm guessing there are a lot of members of SA that don't "think so".

The people that appear in the success stories would be suggestive of this not being permanent.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

We think so, I meant me and Osk think so. What is the true and Andy, by all respect, I dont understand why are you picking up on my posts? I am sure that Osk would understand what I meant.

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Martina23 said:

We think so, I meant me and Osk think so. What is the true and Andy, by all respect, I dont understand why are you picking up on my posts? I am sure that Osk would understand what I meant.

Ah, now I get what you were saying, Martina.  You and Osk think so and that is the "we" you were referring to.  I thought you were using more of a "global" we as in "we ALL generally think so."  I misunderstood what you were saying and I apologize.  The reason I was trying to clarify was not to pick on your posts but simply to make clear to people who are not in the same camp as you and Osk that it is not the "general belief" of SA that this is permanent.

Sorry for the confusion and appearing to be picking on your posts.  I was responding during work and, thus, came across too short and abrupt.  My apologies.

Best,

Andy

7 hours ago, Martina23 said:

Osk, we dont know if this condition is permanent. We think so, but it can be also other. Just keep fighting!

Such mentally ill employees you will find everywhere you go. It is more a miracle job, if you find none. If you can not hold on, then just quit. You will always find some job. If I were you, I would try the job for which you have really qualification. You can always fail, but the job for which you have qualification will make you more fun and so your work will be better. You will also enjoy your life more.

Dont take it too serious, if they kick you out, it is nowadays normal, I have flown already so many times...

One cannot simply quit a job, they will not quality for unemployment benefits if they quit voluntarily.  In order to qualify for such benefits, one must be "let go" or fired, without it being their fault, for example, you cannot be fired for stealing and expect to get unemployment.   It would be MOST unwise to voluntarily quit a job, if you're not able to handle the tasks - when you could just chill out for 6-12 months and collect unemployment.  You could go on medical leave for a while, that's much smarter than simply quitting, and I BELIEVE you may be able to collect unemployment if you're sick for many months to years.

It's wise that you do not simply quit your job, but find a doctor who can give you some sort of diagnosis that would allow you to get medical leave or something of that nature.  It might give you an extra 6 months to find a job while collecting unemployment, or they are required to hire you back legally.

Really, I didnt know that in US it is so. In Austria you will get unemployment benefits even if you quit yourself. Maybe the first month not but than they are paying quite regularly. You can be also on medical leave, if you think it is better for you. But for me it would be hard to stay in the job where I am mobbed. It remembers me on Trump, somewhere he said: if you need a holiday, you dont have the right work. It seems brutal but when I think about there is something right in it. One must feel well and have fun in the work, in other case you will never make your best there. And also you will be not happy in life when you have a bad work.

symptoms OCD

• 3 months later...

Osk, I also made complaint with respect to Lyrica and was refused precisely like you, that it is not negligence when this medicament is used by everyone and is approved by FDA. Quite bad...

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Osk,

I just wanted to thank you.........for virtually holding my hand for awhile shortly after I first got here.  You were great!  And I will always appreciate that you cared.

(((((Osk)))))

Love, peace, healing/in recovery, and growth

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the pins and needles and knumb ness and no appetite and rapid weight loss was bad that I have...

Fluoxetine 20mg January 2011-October 2017

The straight swap to citalapram 20mg October 2017

lorazepam 1mg October 2017

quatiapan 25mg June 2017 for sleep

straight swap from citalapram to venlafaxine December 5 at 37.5mg then upped to 75mg a week later

Stopped quetiapine may 28 2018 and changed to zopiclone 

Started venlafaxine December 5 at 37.5mg and upped dosage reaching 150mg

Reduced venlafaxine over a one month period and stopped around June 15 2018

also stoped the lorazepam June 15 2018

started 20mg fluoxetine 7th August 2018

witg 1mg lorazepam every morning and at around 1-2pm

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I'm still alive.  

One thing I've struggled with greatly is making the correct life decisions during my withdrawal process.  Often times I'm put in a situation where I have a difficult time deciding on the right course of action, I try my best to trust my instincts, but sometimes that fails miserably or I'll feel one thing one moment and then suddenly the feeling will turn and I'll be in a situation that seems very difficult to decide.   I've had situations where I was certain I was making the right decison only to regret it afterwards.   It's almost as if I'm put into a series of incredibly difficult life decisions, and I must choose from the better of two evils, and sometimes I make the wrong choice and it screws up my recovery significantly.

I'll be leaving a job that I am not fond of, but at the same time it's a safe job with people who like me.  Now I'm heading into a new job that requires administrative work, but I have ZERO knowledge of how it's going to work out.  I'm taking a big risk, and my feelings are terribly mixed.

I've been offered a contract, it's not a lot of money but it's a contract and I won't have to deal with people yelling at me and the stress of being stared at all the time ina. retail setting.

I've learned that stress GREATLY impacts the recovery rate.  I've gone from feeling somewhat better to feeling much worse just because of stress from some of the jobs I've taken.  Let this be a warning to those of you seeking to earn some money by taking ANY job they can get:  DONT unless you're truly desperate.  Every time I end up taking a small break or vacation from these jobs I suddenly start to feel much better, and then when I go back I feel like absolute ****, and worse than before - every single time I end up leaving the job because I realize it's impacting my health.

Stress is a major player in the recovery process, I've been in the workforce now for like 2 years during this process and I can say with confidence that if I had just a bank account with cash rather than working I'd have recovered much quicker.

I'm hoping this new job is lower stress, and allows my body to heal quicker.

Wish me luck, I'm now traveling into an unknown world of administrative work with a compromised body.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear from you Osk.  Yes, stress.........ugh!  I do appreciate your thoughts a lot though........ as I am trying to get back into the work force on a PT, maybe even just temporary basis.........soon.  I mean from the other end.......the no earned income or decrease in income can be stressful too...........sooo........I'm hoping to find a decent balance.

I mean I took a fair amount of time for acute recovery W/D already........so........we'll see.  I'm hoping for the best either way......work or living even more cheaply.

Thanks for the update.  And good, good.........you are sounding okay......  Wishing you the best going into your next unknown.......... world of adminstrative work..........

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

p.s.  where did your signature go??

I assure you, work is overrated.  I would not return to work if I were you, just relax and enjoy your life.  Work does nothing but slow down recovery.

• 1 month later...

Hello, Oskcajga,

I hope that you are doing much better overall.  

I have developed a symptom that I see only you have talked about on this forum:  head noises.  I have loud screeching, crunching, grinding, popping whenever I try to fall asleep.  Has this improved for you?  It is very distressing for me and I am hoping in time, it will resolve.

Thanks for your help, and I wish that you continue to heal.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

I think once you start hearing the cracking noises your body is healing.  So that's good.

I'd like to see the results of an MRI with contrast of the trigeminal nerve.

Thanks for responding.  Have your head noises improved?

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• 10 months later...
  • Mentor

hi oskcajga

how are you doing these days?

hope all is well

:)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 2 months later...

How are you?  We would love to hear an update.  I hope you are feeling better. -Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Yah, me too.

Check in Osk, if you will.

So appreciate your help/camaraderie, during my early days here.

I'd love to get an update. 

hugs and hearts friend.....

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt