KT38: Quit Zoloft after 3.5 weeks - dizziness/sea sick, agitated, etc...

KT38

Hello! I wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Katie and am 38.  I was a completely happy, carefree woman until Thanksgiving when my 5 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Glioblastoma, the deadlist brain cancer.  After getting two opinions, Drs said she will probably only live another year.  Well, I started to get panic attacks in mid-Dec.  I was scared and did not know what was going on with my body.  They gave me Xanax and .5mg would calm them down.  A few days later my GP put me on Zoloft....12.5mg for a few days and 25mg for a few more.  It was the WORST experience and I got heart palpations, my GP took me off cold turkey.  So, the day after I was dizzy.  The dizziness went on for 4.5 weeks until I got on Prozac because everyone was saying "it must be anxiety causing the dizziness".  I know NOW that it was withdrawal, even though I was on for a short time.  The reason I know this is because I am going through withdrawal NOW AGAIN!  I tried Prozac, Lexapro and Zoloft (again) for about 3-4 weeks.....each one gave me agitation, intense 24/7 anxiety, an angry and depressed heightened state, etc...  I ended up in the psych ward for 3 days because I was scared and didn't know what was going on with my body and they took me off Zoloft.  They said my body does not metabolize SSRIs right.  I KNEW IT!!!!  Ugh, so now she took me off COLD TURKEY last week and have been dizzy and feeling seasick every since.  The seabands you get in drugstores do wonders for stopping the sick feeling if any of you need this advice! Anyway, so the 1st week off was tolerable and now I am 24/7 wired/agitated with anxiety.  Nothing can stop this feeling, it's the same feeling I had while ON the antidepressants.  Does withdrawal go through different stages?  I was only on 25mg (2.5 weeks) and 50mg (1 week). I don't want ANYTHING to do with SSRIs every again.  They are poison!!!!!

Edited by scallywag
tags

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KT38

• luv2knit

• Laura1981

• joannatm

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi KT!

Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through!

GPs seem to have no idea about antidepressants. They should be prohibited from prescribing them.

I have been through something very similar. I was on Effexor for only 5 days, had horrific withdrawal, thought I could rescue myself with a small dose of Zoloft and now I'm going through the stuff again.

I think your doctors are right. Our bodies might not metabolise this stuff.

Some moderator will come along soon with more experience and tell you more. I wouldn't reinstate based on what I experienced.

This will pass.

You'll look back at it from a distance and say 'what a disaster, but it's over'.

Try to eat well, natural foods. Lots of fruit with antioxidants.

Wishing you lots of strength!

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Hi Katie. Welcome to this community. Lots of great people. My good friends Daughter was diagnosed with glioblastoma, so I can empathize with what you must be going through. You will get great support. We are lucky to have this place to come too.

I'm so sorry for your suffering xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome KT38,

I'm sorry to hear about everything you have been through.  It sounds like you are suffering from the adverse effects of multiple SSRI type drugs trialled over a short period of time.  Are you taking any other medications at the moment? Are you still taking any xanax?

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Your nervous system will heal in time, but it may take a little while.  In the mean time, have a look through our symptoms and self care section for more information.  Especially see this topic for ways to manage your symptoms as you continue to recover and for non-drug ideas to treat anxiety:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome KT38. Sorry for your suffering. I believe you will find much help and support here. I wish you much success in your recovery.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

I am so sorry that you have to go through this while caring for your daughter.

You were'nt on ssri for long, I think and hope you will feel much better soon.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Thank you everyone! It's so great that I have found people like me going through this.  It is not so great that we all have to deal with this withdrawal nonsense! I just updated my signature, which shows all the antidepressants I tried in the 2 month period.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

KT38, by the way, I am your friend from the Zoloft board. Looks like you're off to a good start. Hope you like it here!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hi Kt,

Welcome! I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I will keep both of you in my prayers. I also had a very bad reaction to prozac, effexor and many more - I can't remember. They made me feel extremely anxious and agitated. That wasn't helping at all. So I ended up on xanax and Remeron. It's so difficult to withdraw from these meds. I feel like no one outside of this forum understands or even believes how difficult it is. It's just plain scary. Anyway, I'm sending you warm wishes. I hope this message helps a tiny bit to know you have support and gives you the strength you need to cope.

Best,

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• Administrator

Welcome, kt.

There are some people whose bodies do not get along well with SSRIs. They have adverse effects from the very start. It sounds like you are one of them.

Whether you have the consequence of exposure to drugs that caused adverse reactions or withdrawal syndrome, the results are the same: Your nervous system needs to settle down. This will be very gradual. You'll need to be kind to it and yourself, especially in this time of distress.

Please see our Symptoms and Self-Care forum for suggestions. How are you sleeping?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am sleeping fine.  Sometimes I get these intense fear/internal shaking moments that can last a couple hours.  Nothing triggers them, they just happen and it feels like I was on the antidepressants.  It happens worse when I am alone, which is why I can't be alone.  I still can't drive due to all this.  It feels like my mind is in a heightened state and my nervous system is shaking inside, but my body does not look like it's physically shaking.  It's scary, like something has taken over my body.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, with that kind of major stress the panic attacks are not surprising.  It is a shame you just got pills thrown at you, when some good counselling or therapy might have been a better option.

I think you had an adverse reaction rather than withdrawal.  They are different but can have a lot of the same symptoms.  Everyone's metabolism is a little bit different, and some people's systems just cannot handle SSRIs/SNRIs.  (I'm actually quite impressed that somebody in the psych ward recognised this, that isn't the usual story we see here). 

There isn't anything you can take to fix this.  You need to leave your system well alone so that it can sort out the jumble it has got in, which may take some time, so be very patient.  The internal tremor feeling is very unpleasant, but won't hurt you, so do your best not to fear it.  Try to avoid anything stimulating (caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, scary movies, etc.) and do calming things like relaxation exercises, meditation, yoga, gentle walks, etc.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thank you so much for understanding! Throughout this whole process I have lost faith in mental health professionals and psychiatrists.  Psychiatrists don't want to tell you anything bad, so they can't get sued.   Yes, I truly believe my system will not take SSRIs after all of this.  I am just nervous as to why I am getting the same symptoms as I had while on the drug still after the end of 2 weeks off.  I get nervous that I will never get better. 

Hi KT,

The advice that is given here on SA has helped me more than any of my doctors. Bubble noticed I had stopped xanax too quickly, while reducing an AD (remeron) too rapidly as well; and suggested small doses on a regular basis - every 4-5 hrs.

As a result, the past two days are the first days of relief from nausea and headaches that I had for 37 days straight. This helps me to focus on a healthy taper. Slow taper is really key. Stopping abruptly is not so helpful when taking these medications.

You will be getting better. It takes patience, though, which I know is tough. Take baby steps.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Welcome KT. My brother just passed yesterday from glioblastoma multiform stage four, after 3 months and 21 days. I am glad to have that extra time with him.

I am off of Prozac after a battle lasting many months. I have felt many of the same things. I'm not sure if I was having withdrawal at times or reacting to the restarting of the medication ( I went on and off several times).

I can say, life is better now. Still recovering, but so much better. Please keep us posted.

September 2013. Diagnosed depression/anxiety. Start Prozac 10mg and slowly increase to 40mg.

October 2013. Lorazepam 0.5mg prescribed for anxiety after complaining about nervous energy

November 2013. prescribed a sleeping pill (name?) for insomnia. took once. ineffective.

January to June 2014. psychiatrist agrees to lower dose to 15 mg due to side effects.

August 2014 first attempt to quit cold turkey Lasted August 1, 2014 until October 1, 2014

November 2014 second attempt to quit cold turkey lasted Novemember 4, 2014 until Jan 13, 2015

January 2015 3rd attempt to quit cold turkey lasted feb 3, 2015 until feb 23, 2015

March 5, 2015 4th attempt to quit cold turkey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Slow taper is really key. Stopping abruptly is not so helpful when taking these medications.

I would agree with this approach for withdrawal, but for someone who had a very bad adverse reaction right from the start, which never settled down (some adverse effects at start-up are fairly normal for SSRIs, and usually subside within a few weeks), I would not recommend putting any more of those chemicals into their body, which clearly cannot tolerate them at all.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Sorry about that. I was thinking about the xanax when I said, "The advice that is given here on SA has helped me more than any of my doctors. Bubble noticed I had stopped xanax too quickly, while reducing an AD (remeron) too rapidly as well; and suggested small doses on a regular basis - every 4-5 hrs."

I noticed that KT was taking xanax as needed. That was something that Bubble noticed I was doing and when I did what she suggested small regular doses of xanax, it helped me a great deal. I was overjoyed by the relief I got using that approach and wanted to share. I am very sorry that I wasn't clear in my post about that. I didn't mean to suggest this approach at all for the SSRI's given the bad reaction. My apologies.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on a few antidepressants for 2 months and the hospital psychiatrist took me off cold turkey on April 7 because they were making me go mad.  I have experiences extreme rage, extreme anxiety due to now an over sensitive nervous system, deep depression, crying spells, apathy, dizziness, heavy head, and fear to be alone.  One month into the withdrawal I had some crazy panic attack caused by some weird brain wiring crash.  I thought it was a seizure, but I don't know.  It happened a few days after I started getting the dizziness bad.  Like my mind couldn't keep up.  I still have that.  Everyday I wake up hoping the day will be different, but it's not.  It's very saddening.  How long does this go on for?  I cannot believe psychiatrists and their "1-2 week of withdrawal" lies!!!!

(whoops, cold turkey on April 8th not 7th)

Since you were on these medications for a relatively short time, withdrawal should not last too long for you compared with others on here.

Your symptoms should improve over the next few months.

For people who have been on these drugs for more than a year, withdrawal often lasts a couple years, and can be extremely difficult.

You are absolutely right, most modern doctors do not understand how long SSRI withdrawal can actually last, and how severe it can be.

Many doctors do realize it, and are publishing research to try to get the public and other doctors informed about this.

Until then, more and more people such as yourself are going to get harmed by using these drugs without being informed of the risks.

Just realize that even though the symptoms seem to never go away, they will, and you should eventually heal.

Symptoms usually come and go, and over time, they go away.

You can read about the "windows and waves" pattern of recovery that most of us are going through:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Another member was on an SSRI for seven weeks and is in protracted SSRI WD:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8209-outdoorsman15-intro-and-experience-with-effexor-wd/

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Welcome KT38,

Like clearday said thankfully you were only on the meds for a short period of time , I also think your symptoms will get much better soon. Dont worry its gonna get much better. All the best 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I cry everyday because there is never a break from this high cortisol surge that getting off has created.  The meds made me worse (I could feel my nervous system being affected 3-4 hours after taking a pill everytime and should have stopped taking them, but I figured that was supposed to happen).  So, I feel guilty that I cold turkeyed off them.  The hospital psychiatrist told me to come off cold turkey because these were doing more harm than good.  I am also light/motion sensitive as well now and can't go anywhere because my head is so messed up.  If you look at my signature with my med history, do you think it was dumb going cold turkey?

It's better to wean off slowly, a 10% taper is recommended to reduce the severity of withdrawal:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

But  since you are unusually sensitive to using these medications - they affected you adversely while on them - IMO you would have been adversely affected no matter how you came off them.

All of your symptoms are very typical for people coming off SSRIs, including those who have taken them for years.

Even those who slow taper encounter withdrawal symptoms during their taper.

And since you were on for such a short time, staying on for a few more months and tapering would mean doubling your time on these drugs.

So you can decide whether you want to go back on a small dose to try to reduce withdrawal symptoms, or stay off and "ride it out".

Keep in mind these drugs are powerful even at low doses - that's why they can help at a low dose to reduce symptoms if you go back on, or going back on might make things worse. 

People recover from using these SSRI drugs whether they cold turkey or do slow taper.

A moderator may suggest different options for you as you proceed forward. 

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi KT38,

welcome! I had strange effects from the drugs, like you, from the sta.

I made the mistake try and combat the withdrawal from 5 days on Effexor with doses of under 1mg of Zoloft for 10 days. This turned out to make things much, much worse. Now I feel dumb for having done it.

So looking at your history and given what I experienced, I think going off cold turkey or not, you would probably suffer approximately the same symptoms sooner or later. And each day of not taking the drug will bring your recovery one day forward.

Cheers,

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Thank you everyone. I just feel so handicapped. Clear day, did your symptoms all start within the first couple months or did new ones arise? Laura, I can't believe you got withdrawal from 5 days with Effexor! Actually I can because I tried Zoloft once in Dec for one week and got massive dizziness which led to trying these meds again 4 weeks later after everyone thought it was anxiety causing my dizziness. Ugh! So mad! How are you two feeling now?

On Prozac 6 yrs - cold turkey - ok for four months then hit hard with withdrawal. Typical tardive (delayed) onset of symptoms. Lasted a long time.

Eventually recovered. Never knew it was Prozac that caused it thanks to clueless doctors and 4-month delay of symptoms.

Years later, on Lexapor 5 yrs - cold turkey - some acute symptoms; a few months OK, then seven months later got hit with the real withdrawal. Very difficult. 

I am getting slowly but surely better over time. My life is very tolerable right now, symptoms are subsiding.

This video gives a great explanation of what most of us experience as we recover from protracted SSRI WD:

24 months SSRI-free  

Thanks for this video, it makes more sense...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Administrator

Welcome, KT38.

It does indeed seem that you are one of those who are extraordinarily sensitive to SSRIs. Having gone on and off antidepressants repeatedly in the last several months has stressed your nervous system even more.

Although you probably are recovering from severe adverse reactions, rather than withdrawal syndrome, the symptom pattern and recovery is similar to withdrawal syndrome. It will take time for your nervous system to gradually stabilize and heal. Read

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems  and other topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi KT38 ,  it's quite common for new , different symptoms to start any time until around the 12 month mark.  

For myself , the first 6 months were okay , and then things became worse.

Don't be alarmed if things change , it's what you need to go through to come out the other side.

Perhaps one of the moderators can join this with your other thread , so your intro. is all in one place.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Silver Star, I just came by your story on this site.  I was searching for something on Google and your story came up and I was like Silver Star sounds familiar!  I read that you, too, went cold turkey.  I cannot believe everything you have been through!!!!! Your story gives me hope, since you said you started to turnaround and get better at 6 months. Do you know the name of the book you read by Dr. Breggin? Altostrata, is there a link you can provide me to read your story?  You guys have really inspired me to keep holding on and that what I am going through is temporary even though we don't know when it gets better. 

Whoops, sorry, I just realized there are many Silver stars.  It was someone else's story.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi KT,

I merged your new topic with your original one, its one intro/update topic per member. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Bookmarking it will make it easy to find.

I'm not sure who's story you read, but the book by Dr. Breggin we sometimes recommend is Your Drug may be you Problem by Dr. Peter Breggin

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you!!

Hey KT,

just wanted to check in to see how you're doing. You're one of my fellow victims of short-term AD use, so I identify with you.

I actually came off the last bit of Zoloft on 6th of April, so we even have the same time-line.

I wanted to tell you something that may cheer you up a bit: This will honestly get better with time. I'm still a long way from normal, but I had some significant improvements already. Especially the agitation and the racing thoughts are mostly gone. 

Wishing you lots of healing,

Laura

So happy you are doing better!!! I had a couple days a few days ago with less agitation and racing thoughts....I was actually belly laughing with my kids. It was so normal it scared me! Then yesterday I have what I call one of those brain locks/mini seizure type things where your brain wires just get mixed up. And the interval vibration/shaking is back like crazy. My mind can't take anymore. So, for the nice little window I had I had a very big wave. It disgusts me it has been almost 9 weeks off and there is no relief! I can't stand the 1-2 week withdrawal people and then they r fine. Ugh!!! Hope your lucky streak continues and never stops!