SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

soso: off Lexapro, need help

Soso

They can be as bad as other antidepressants. I would not take them while you are in withdrawl. This will only create more chaos in your system.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soso

• Altostrata

• Maybe

• Phil

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Maybe, whatever the process is, antidepressants are harmful drugs, all the more harmful since you are suffering from withdrawal. Besides, I don't think the solution has to come from outside. Don't hinge your wellbeing on exterior things. You must owe your wellbeing to yourself. You are enough. You don't need anything, you are strong enough: trust yourself.

I understand your suffering. I know it is hard, and the intensity of the suffering sometimes boggles the mind. But please don't make en enemy of yourself, a flawful thing whiwh has to be compensated for. You are a marvelous being with marvelous resources, believe me, and above all, believe in you :)

First AD -sertraline- in 2007at the age of 13 because of child abuse

2009-2013: intricate story of multiple wds, meds and cts, gradually became a living mess

Feb 2013: last CT from a cocktail of four drugs, symptoms are relenting but witness a constant sharpening of the brain

I'll get my pms in three days, my body whole body is burning and my brain is burning too, racing thoughts, I feel like I am going crazy. Head pain, upset stomach. Couldn't go to work

• Administrator

Soso, Roads (formerly myx) speaks truth.

Do what you can to stay calm. You feel terrible, but those are symptoms. You are not losing your mind, you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

All of us who had severe withdrawal felt similarly and thought we were losing our minds.

Try to think of the bad feelings as separate from who you are. They will change and fade over time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Soso,

I know and understand how you feel. It is very frustrating and scary. The worst is the unknown, We need to want getting better more than anything else in our life and we have to fight and fight until we get there. All I want is to be better for my daughters too, I just want to be a normal mummy that drops them at school without panicking.

Keep strong Soso....

The problem is that I didn't have any of these symptoms before going to Germany, well there was some symptoms but not that sever. I am all messed up

Maybe it is because you lost your landmarks, your roots, and your mind being disorientated and "messed up", it has repercussions on your body. So with time and confidence in the building of new roots, it will subside.

Besides, you say you want to be fit for your kids. This is admirable and laudable, but maybe you are skipping a stage. Your body is designed to take care of yourself, not of others. So this is with the will and dedication to taking care of yourself that the healing's process of the body will be the most effective. Adopting this attitude will be beneficial not only for you, but also for your kids, since there is nothing more reassuring than seeing one's mother taking care of herself. I garantee it, since I am still partly a kid.

I understand what you are sufferinf from, for I also have this infernal sensation of internal burning, racing, as if something terrified was restlessly pouncing and zigzaging in oneself. But this is the result of a ridiculous molecule artificially created by fiddling scientist, completely outweigthted by the mind-blowing complexity, completeness and power of the body. Your body will vanquish. It is ineluctable :)

First AD -sertraline- in 2007at the age of 13 because of child abuse

2009-2013: intricate story of multiple wds, meds and cts, gradually became a living mess

Feb 2013: last CT from a cocktail of four drugs, symptoms are relenting but witness a constant sharpening of the brain

Vagus nerve disorder can cause depression

One doctor told me that I have problems with this nerve. This nerve start deep inside the brain and goes down through tge neck till the stomach and the heart and it controls many other organs. My depression started with sever neck pain, low blood pressure and digestive problems.

• Administrator

Soso, the symptoms you've described since quitting Lexapro sound like withdrawal syndrome, not "natural" depression.

You cannot treat withdrawal syndrome as though it were depression, even if you have waves of melancholia. The state of your body and nervous system is very different now.

As Roads says, it's wayward molecules generated by withdrawal, not "natural" depression.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

That probably varies a lot person to person... I know for me birth control has always been a problem, on or off antidepressants. I think I react badly to the progestin. I had better luck with the "ring"... Nuvaring... but it still affected me quite a bit. Eventually I gave up on birth control pills!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

Is it ok to take birth control pills ?

Soso, have you been taking birth control pills for a while? Have you had a bad reaction to them?

If you haven't had a bad reaction, don't change taking the pills. Keep as much consistent as you can.

Alto,

I took them only for one month three years ago while I was on AD, and I felt so great, so I thought maybe it will help a little bit since I have low progesterone.

• Administrator

How do you know you have low progesterone?

I did a saliva hormon test three years ago while I was in the US and the doctor told me that it's low ( estrogen dominance )he gave me natural progesterone drops, I took it for few weeks but the birth conrol pills made me feel much better. Maybe it's the estrogen in it !!!!

• Administrator

I wouldn't still trust that test, it's too old and the correct medical test is a blood sample, see http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/progesterone/tab/glance.

In general, as I understand it, not many conditions can be diagnosed from saliva tests. I've never had one in my entire life, except for a bogus neurotransmitter test.

I just want to try it out maybe it will give make me feel little better, yesterday I slept for 11 hours, I woke up once but with no anexity. But in the morning I had headache( right side neck and head ) a very strange head pain with strange eye(right eye) symptoms, I feel little bit better exept for the headache. I took my daughter to potery barn kids to buy a new bag for the school :) I felt so strange, I start looking around watching other normal people shopping with their family and friends, I felt so sad, I hope that feeling normal again will be so soon. I want to enjoy my life with my kids

• Administrator

We don't advise randomly trying things because sometimes they can make you worse.

It's a good sign you slept so well. Perhaps we can call it a good window?

My husband wants me to go back on the AD, my mom too, they cant take it any more. Well, i dont blame them, please give me hope that I will recover, do you know anyone who recovered from lexapro 20 mg ?

I had a bad reaction when I first start it but it went away within one week, does that mean I am damaged?well maybe not because before doing the detox I was doing pretty good, i am so confused ???

I know about people who took Lexapro, had wd for a longer time and did recover. So yes, you will recover, but no one can tell you how long it will take. Going back on the drug will probably not help you, but might make things worse.

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

When was the last time you took an AD, Soso?

I do not think it's helpful to talk about length of time when it comes to withdrawal, as it causes us more stress.

Plus it is different for everyone.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Most say that one can reintroduce the AD in a course of 6 weeks after having taken the last pill. I would not advice to take the AD one year later. You should give your body the time to heal. As sad as it is, no one can tell you how long it will take.

You are absolutely right there Phil!

• Administrator

soso, a lot of people have trouble with their relatives not understanding.

You might want to read and participate in the Family forum.

Soso,

You need all the support you can get at this moment. My husband does support me but I can see his fatigue, luckily he has understood I don't want to take anything and he helps me big with the kids and at home, however every time I have a doubt and tell him I should take something for the anxiety, like a benzo, he tells me I should try - I know he just wants me back and happy as I used to be.

My family is all back in Colombia, they are all prodrugs. They have told me to go to Colombia and do all the Medical tests required. I have not done it because I know everything will come back normal and I will end up spending thousand of dollars in the trip and the tests. In addition I will end up taking something as I am very fragile and their pressure will be huge.

It is hard Soso and nobody can tell us how long will it take. It is just a leap of faith.

We will get there.

Yesterday was a very bad day, I was about to go to the ER, my head burns and tingles and my whole body as well, I couldn't sleep, I felt like I was dying, I don't want to live like this, we need money and I have to go to work but I can't, I fear everything, even playing with my kids, I hope this wave ends soon with huge improvements.

Hoi sos o!!

Howe are you??

I just did read about your strange headpain on the wright side!

Could you please describe the type of pain a bit more?? I thin we share the same pains!!

Lovela greetings

Leon

• Administrator

soso, have you tried acupuncture?