SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

QuitPaxil2015 - Paxil withdrawal

quitpaxil2015

QP,

I'm sorry your having a rough time. Why are you adding more mag? It will give you bathroom runs!

How is your husband dealing with all this? did you get any sleep last night?

Hope you are feeling better,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quitpaxil2015

• tgirl

• dreamspirit

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Paxil is one nasty drug! I've been doing a slow taper over several years and STILL have many issues. It's incredible really. Not that everybody has such trouble, but some of us seem to be more sensitive to drops I guess. I've been through a few periods of instability over the years, and once you've done an updose there is not much else you can do but wait and be kind to your nervous system. Whenever I've been unable to eat I will practically live on supplemental nutrition drinks like Ensure. Just make sure you sip it slowly or it can give you diarrhea. I learned that the hard way! Thinking of you and praying you get some relief soon.

Thank you Ladybug. Are you able to work? Are your symptoms mostly hyperactivity such as heart racing-this is what keeps me awake. How long did it take you to stabilize after an up dose?

No, I am not working. I was forced to quit my last job five years ago when the stomach/anxiety issues from WD had me spending more time in the bathroom than at my desk. It was probably for the best as a month later I went through a pretty bad patch of WD where I didn't sleep for over a week and then had severe hypnic jerks that kept me from sleeping for months after that. The past few years I have been going to school and I finally graduated this May. I had to take out some student loans to help pay for tuition and my first payment is due next month and I don't know what I'm going to do. I definitely don't feel well enough to work but I don't really have a choice at this point. It's terrifying.

Anyway, to answer your other questions, I don't really have any issues with heart racing. I did experience palpitations when going through rough patches, but they didn't last all day. However, I also never tapered more than 10% other than the time I crashed in 2002. At that time I believe I was taking 2.5mg drops like you did so it's no wonder you are feeling so bad. When that happened I made an emergency appt. with a psych and she had me updose to my original dose and I was better in a few weeks time. I reacted so differently to the drug then though as I had only been on a few years. I was able to change doses, change brands etc. with no issue. Now I am much more sensitive. I wish I could tell you when you are going to stabilize but everyone is different. Some people improve in a few weeks and for others it takes longer. If you've seen any improvement in any symptoms at all then that is a very good sign. When it comes to WD, time is the greatest healer.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Hi QP, I am so sorry you are suffering so much right now. But I am happy to hear that you will be getting some relief from the stress of working full time. Stress definitely exacerbates everything in WD. You said you were taking fish oil and I am wondering if that may be causing some of your heart palpitations? I could not and still cannot take it. I realized during WD that I was hypersensitive to all vitamins and supplements and I just cut all of them out because I didn't know what was causing what. Since then, I have attempted to take them and still can't. So I would suggest that you stop taking all of them and give your nervous system some time to settle. TIME and REST are key right now, and it may take a LOT of time and rest before you start to feel better. But eliminating the stress is also key and I am so glad that you are in a position to do that. Try to just take advantage of this time you have to take care of yourself and be very kind and very gentle. But you also have to give your system time at one dosage to stabilize because it will - but it may take longer than you hope. Patience is key. Hang in there, you will get through this and you will be okay. What you are going through right now is why this site exists, you are not alone. (((HUGS))) 

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

QP,

I'm sorry your having a rough time. Why are you adding more mag? It will give you bathroom runs!

How is your husband dealing with all this? did you get any sleep last night?

Hope you are feeling better,

Tgirl

Hi Tgirl, I wish I could say I slept better but I did not. 3 hours maybe. I was adding more mag to see if this helps with the increased tension and heart racing. Then I read that I should try to increase the fish oil and add the vitamin e. I was going to try this today. I only went to the bathroom once during the night.

My husband is not dealing well. He sort of blames me for my anxiety about issues such as being able to keep my insurance and he thinks I should have more control over my panic. As we were looking at our bills he was having a really hard time yesterday. He is in a job transition and is an self employed so this is a lot for him too. He leaves the house at 5 am and gets home at 630 pm.

I am still terrified. Thanks for checking on me. I hope you are doing okay.

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Hi Ladybug, it seems like you've been through a very hard time. I completely understand. I'm glad to hear that you graduated! I hope evrything gals into place.

I am supposed to go back to work on Nov 4. This causes me the most anxiety because I need to go back for my insurance and pay.

Sorry I can't write more right now.

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Hi Prestorb, Thank you for checking in on me. I am not doing well. I am trying to be more positive. I am forcing myself to eat even though this is really hard. Still trying the meditation but only sleeping 3 hours, if that, for now. 

I read over how fish oil can help and that is why I am trying it. I have to take the calcium/mag because of my parathyroids. I also have to take asthma meds. Very hard indeed. 

Thank you for your support. Sorry I can't write more right now.

Hi QP. I'm wondering if maybe 5% cuts would be easier for you. Best thing for you right now is to stabilize. I'm hoping a moderator will chime in to give advice as to whether or not you increased (15mg) too much.

I know the feeling of not being able to eat. Do you own a Nutri Bullet? If you do, make lots of smoothies...add dark green leafy veggies. Also,you can make powder form of any nuts with the Nutri Bullet. Then add the powder to your smoothie to get the protein. Somehow when it's difficult to eat i find drinking an easy way to get my nutrients. I hope this suggestion helps you.

Sending healing hugs,

Ladybug99

ADs for approx 20 yrs.

Klonopin .05mg 2009-2013 Last dose Aug 2013

APRIL 21, 2015: switched from Paxil cr 25mg (equiv to 20. mg regular paxil) to liquid Prozac 20 mg. Took prozac for 5 weeks. Didn't work.

MAY 21. 2015: switched back to Paxil - liquid 5mg for 1 week. Then upped to 7.5. Waiting to stabilize at this.

Tapered off prozac in 2 weeks.

Thank you LadyBug, I have a nutribullet. I have been making smoothies and drinking them. That is a great suggestion.

I am wondering if I have akathisia. and if alerting syndrome is the same thing. The insomnia is constant. I have tried many different things.

I went through months of no sleep when i did a way too fast taper off of klonopin. It eventually subsided. It will for you,too. Don't despair. Lack of sleep won't kill you. Try as hard as you can to go with it and not fight it. Having the akathesia makes it harder, so i won't suggest you read a book! I just v want you to know that this WILL pass. My concern for you is you getting stable. I think you should ask Altostrata or Brassmonkey if you upping your dosage to 15mg was wise.

Looks like you've tried 10% cuts and it was difficult, so i think next time you start tapering start off with 5% cuts and see how you feel. Paxil is a tough one!

ADs for approx 20 yrs.

Klonopin .05mg 2009-2013 Last dose Aug 2013

APRIL 21, 2015: switched from Paxil cr 25mg (equiv to 20. mg regular paxil) to liquid Prozac 20 mg. Took prozac for 5 weeks. Didn't work.

MAY 21. 2015: switched back to Paxil - liquid 5mg for 1 week. Then upped to 7.5. Waiting to stabilize at this.

Tapered off prozac in 2 weeks.

Thank you. Actually, I did not try the 10% cuts-I went too fast and this is what happened. Thank you for your support.

Hi Q.P.

There are many here, who have had success with Taurine. It's calming and good for heart racing & palpitations.  I find it beneficial, and I'm a hard case, who has ended up in " Emergency" , a number of times with S.V.T  ( supraventricular tachycardia ) , and had to have a shot of adenosine ( I.V.), to bring my heart rate down.  It's worth a " shot", if you haven't tried it yet.  As with anything, in withdrawal, start  at a low dose.  There is a thread about it , in " Symptoms &  Self- Care".  That will give you an idea of where to start, if you do decide to  try it. Also , helps with sleep.  A " win, win" combination, if it works for you !

This might help. Just a thought. 

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you Ali. I just increased the mag and fish oil and added vit E. I'll check it out but don't want to change too many things at once.

I considered taking Propanolol yesterday but with my asthma this could be a very bad combination.

I slept a little better yesterday. Still woke up within 2 hours of sleep but was able to go back after a few hours awake. Not for long, but short nap. I just laid really still.

Had 2 small windows yesterday. But still lots of severe anxiety with panic and sweating throughout the day.

Can't watch tv and sunlight is too stimulating.

Q.P.

Are you on that for high blood pressure or the  heart  palpitations  ? 

If you're getting a few hours sleep, that's pretty good. It could be a lot worse .  Have you tried the dissolved Magnesium ?   At night, for sleep ?  Magnesium Citrate, dissolved in water, as a " shot".  It has helped me a little.  That & the Taurine , and also L - Arginine .   Anything you try though, start low.  Also, research. All on Symptoms & self- Care -  S.A. 

Hang in there.

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

QP,

How are you feeling today?

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Thank you, Ali. I am on so much mag that I am afraid to have more diarrhea.

Hi Tgirl,  How are you doing? I am about the same. Still not able to work and trying to get disability. Having sweats. Have you stabilized since increasing your dosage on 9/9?

Very exasperated with this situation.

QP,

No I have not stabilized. Feel like I'm getting worse!

I'm sorry your still having issues.

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Thank you Tgirl. I posted on your thread. Hang in there.

Hi QP,

seems we are all in wave at the moment? Not that this is of any help for you at the moment but at least you are not alone.

I wish that you stabilize soon. If you have asthma there are also other beta-blockers that won't interfere with it.

BR,

PB

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Hi PB,

Thank you. Yes, it seems we are all on a tight spot right now. I wish you to stabilize soon as well.

I am so tired of this.

Thank you dreamspirit. I'm doing the best to stay away from stress but I will need to go back to work for insurance and a paycheck. Having trouble getting the disability claim started w all the doctors involved. Still not sleeping much (but a little better than two days ago).

Hope you feel better soon. I understand going slowly but for now I just want to stabilize at 15 mg.

I know, I'm really blessed to be able to stay home and not have to work.. have a very supportive husband.

It's been 14 weeks since I reinstated and slowly but surely getting better as time goes on.. have my good days and bad days.

Seems it takes forever to restablize. How long ago did you reinstate?

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

My husband tried to get disability a few years ago and it's so hard to get it and all the documentation they need is crazy.. I understand they need it but wow!

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

How are you,  Q.P. ?   :)

Hi Ali and dreamspirit, still not doing well. Sleeping poorly. Ordered some blackout curtains to see if this helps.

Hope you are doing okay.

Q.P.

This sounds good . Please let me know how it goes.  I'm considering the same , except my husband is a " fresh air "  freak, and is resistant to being in a " cave"  like atmosphere.  I'm the opposite.   I like dark " caves ".  LOL.    :)   :D 

I find air plugs extremely helpful, I wear them every night!  ;)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Hi Ali and Prestorb,

I do wear earplugs. Still only 3 hours of sleep. Waiting on Blackout curtains - I was already wearing an eye mask...

Thank you for your support.

We have black out curtains in the living room and the bed room..

I've been sleeping on the couch lately because my husband snores so loudly.

I always have my curtains closed in the living room.. I like the darkness..

I'm sorry your still not feeling well.. it really sucks! I'm still not 100% myself and I hate it.. my nerves are just shot..

QP,

Any changes? You are in my thoughts!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Thank you, Tgirl. No not really. I had a bit of a window today, but the waves are very intense. I am still not sleeping (I saw in your thread that you are having a hard time with this too).

All signs of hyperactivity - it seems my nerves are shot. I wake up in sweat and but 3 hours after I take my trazodone and melatonin. I can't nap or anything. Still can't read or watch TV. I tried coloring and that proves too much-I can only do it in short spurts.

This is absolute hell. I also need to keep my insurance and go back to work but I don't know what to do. My poor husband is on complete overwhelm with the new and old businesses and having to carry the load at home.

I want to get well enough to work!

My doctor gave me Trazodone for sleep too but never took it.. it scared me to take it. Over the years she has also given me a small dosage of Wellbutrin because Paxil makes you so lazy but I never dared to take that either lol.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey QP - I'm sorry you are still struggling.

When I look at your story, even though you've had to reinstate, your tapers were quite steep, even when they were slow.  I'm hoping that you will respect Paxil for the Big Bad Wolf that it is, and take it slower this time.

It really is, almost the Biggest Baddest Wolf in the business - and needs to be treated with respect.  And here's the thing about the Big Bad Wolf - if you RUN from it, it will take delight and chase you!  You have to sneak away from it - so that it doesn't notice you are getting away (small tapers, which I think you know now).

You wrote:

Has anyone felt similarly when tapering an antidepressant? That is, that since you've made a commitment to get off the antidepressant poison, that other areas of your life that are not serving you or making you miserable have to go as well? It is an internal dialogue that points to letting go of all the things that are in the way of finally being happy and not wanting to put up with those things or people who do not have your best interest in mind. I am a little scared of the strong feelings that I am having but I am wondering if these feelings are just an inevitable culmination of what was going to happen anyway, or if they are related to the taper even though I am having no other w/d symptoms...Has anyone else had similar experiences? 

Withdrawal is a great purifier.  You find you have to whittle your life down to what is healthy for you.  Sadly, we live in a sick society, and in order to cope with that sick society we have to take the universal pills to keep us functioning in that society.

It's difficult when your livelihood is threatened by your health.  But if it were cancer, would you feel the same?  Or would you leave the toxic environment behind and make the best of it?  I know you took a month off - but you seem to be in similar straits, and I'm hoping that you can find a balance between stability, and the need to survive, as well.

We got ourselves onto the psych drugs by submitting to authority under less than ideal circumstances.  Surely it would follow that, as we come out of the drugged state, the "scales fall from our eyes" and we see more clearly the situations around us?

I hope you can find a solution to this difficult issue.  It's a shame you can't just take a remote control and "click" your toxic manager "OFF"!  (though, surely, that would have consequences, too.)

Then you write:

I am dealing with several difficult life stressors including the possibility (likelihood?) that my husband will not have a job come January. My job is awful but due to needing the benefits, I am not able to leave it now. 

Yep.  Life in the richest country of the world.  All I can say is, you are not alone!  More and more people in the US are struggling to find meaningful and gainful employment.  The "jobs which pay the bills" are fewer and further between.

I can imagine how this is stressful, and I don't know if you got your Temporary Disability thing or not?  

And this may not be popular with hubby, but are there ways you can downsize the household?  Are there certain bills you don't really need (cable is always the first one that comes to my mind), or can downsize (phone plans? transportation costs?).  This may be awhile, and I know you want to get back to work, and that will help - but it never hurts to trim the budget, anyway.  Especially if it reduces stress.

I spent a lot of time with Quakers.  You know the ones, "'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free, 'tis a gift to come down where we ought to be. And when we find ourselves in the place just right, 'Twill be in the valley of love and delight."  I often look around my life and think:  do I need this? It is a fine gift to distinguish between what one wants in life, and what one truly needs.  (I'm still learning, too!)

You wrote:

I really don't want to slow the process or my goal because I am afraid that this will just serve to prolong the misery of coming off this horrible drug. 

And you've learned, that is not the answer.  If you persist on decreasing your dose through difficult times, you will prolong the misery.  If you wait, and stabilise, you minimize he symptoms and harm caused by the withdrawal. Pushing your taper through times of hardship is not advisable, and can be a recipe for even more difficulty.  But again, I wrote this before I finished your thread - I think you know this now.

Now we need to get you stable, so you can just function again.

Then you wrote:  

I had tapered down to 7.5 mg from 10 mg (too fast, I know), and just reinstated last night….I feel like such a failure. I had been doing well on the taper. 

and

I feel like a complete loser but I had to increase my dose to 15 mg today. I was at risk of losing my job and sanity.

Beating yourself up, putting judgements on it like "failure," will only make it harder on yourself.  It is what it is.  Your life got tougher - go easy on yourself, and go easy on your taper.  I'm glad to see you reinstated, and I hope you will remember to taper in smaller amounts, and to HOLD (my mantra!) when times get rough.

Be gentle with yourself.  The energy you put in judging yourself - is energy that you could be using to heal.  I know it doesn't seem like it balances the scale, exactly, but it is true.  Your brain is crying for healing and attention - that's what symptoms are.

One way of looking at it is that these symptoms are signs that your brain is healing.  Because you were so flattened by the drug - as you come back to life (egads, could it be any more lively?) your brain is "trying on things," to see what works.  It will have to try on a whole range of things before it settles.  Your symptoms will shift and change - sometimes more physical, sometimes more psychological.  All of these are normal.  Be kind to yourself.

I'm actually glad you updosed to 15.  You have come a LONG way from your highest dose, this is not a huge setback.  I was worried that you were going to fast, and now you can stop, slow down, stabilize.  Remember - sneaking away from the Wolf is the only way to go!

More in a mo - 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey QP, you wrote:

Since I do not have a thyroid and parathyroids, I need to be closely monitored.  

Me too.  You might consider checking www.stopthethyroidmadness.com They have a program they sell, but you can also gain a lot of interesting information about managing your condition.

Turns out, I maybe didn't need to have my thyroid out, and I definitely didn't need the parathyroids out!  It was just a lazy surgeon who didn't want to take the extra time to spare the parathyroid glands!  As a result, I've lost the ability to produce calcium & Vit D, and it has damaged my vocal control nerve and I can no longer sing!

I guess I’m telling you it's probably not as big a deal as it's been made out to be.  Lots of people have had this surgery, and many of them unnecessarily  Yes, I will die if I don't take thyroid hormone, and I need to take calcium for the rest of my life.  It makes me question the circumstances under which my glands were removed (large goiter) - and I wonder about you, too.

Additionally, thyroid problems can be caused by the drugs, as they put their little chemical fingers into all of our hormonal systems, blocking things, flooding other things, until it's no wonder we're wiped out when they are through with us!

and

have to take chelates calcium and magnesium anyway for my parathyroid

Please, do you take them at the same time?  Magnesium and calcium cancel each other out.  You need both of them, along with Vitamin D (I have no parathyroid, either) - but please take them separately.  I take my Calcium all before noon, and my magnesium in afternoon and evening, for calming effect.  I also take Vit K to prevent the excess calcium from going into my bloodstream (but that's another story). 

My point being - Calcium and Mag should not be taken together - even though the vitamin companies bundle them that way!

and one more post coming up for cognitive and weird stuff.... (sorry to be so much at once, it is the result of my symptom of being so slow - it takes me days to read a thread, and then, when I get caught up, I have notes to remind me what I just read!) 

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, hi again QP (are you tired of me yet?)

You wrote:

Also, my OCD is back a little - I guess that is understandable. I went back to check that the fridge was closed and that I had locked my car. OCD is also one of the reasons I went on Paxil in the first place.

Then it is vitally important that you get some support for your OCD, to help you stay off the drugs.  Mindfulness training, which might include CBT or DBT might be helpful.

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

Is an online CBT program, and

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/

Is an online DBT program.

There are further discussions on SA of ways to deal with anxiety and OCD thoughts here:

Change the Channel - dealing with Cognitive Symptoms

A regular mindfulness practice - even if it is just 3-5 minutes a day of slowing down, paying attention to your breath - builds up a reserve of mindfulness.  If you do it every day, it's like drug levels, except it's "mindfulness levels."  The studies show that if you practice it every day for 2 weeks (it was 15 minutes a day in the study) - then you will have reserves for when the bit hits the fan.  THEN, when your symptoms knock you over, you have a tool, something up your sleeve to help you.

Many say that mindfulness doesn't help them in the deep throes of withdrawal, but the studies show that even with extreme states, it will help - but it has to be a regular practice.  You can't just look at the techniques and say, "later, when I need it."  It's a practice that you build up over time.

You wrote:

"Woke up" in moderate withdrawal. Panicky and with pulse at 112, sinking feeling on stomach, very tired. 

see:  I. Hate. Coritsol. Mornings. Managing cortisol spikes

and you wrote:

I am at work and doing my very best. I don't feel that I am flying with a full deck, though.

And even though you've been off a few weeks, you are planning to go back, so you might need this gem.

A lot of people here have had to maintain work lives while withdrawing (I am not one of them).  Many of them are amazed at how "half mast" or "marbles missing" - and the extra marbles are not missed at work.  Just do your best, and let it go.

Many have reported that nobody seems to notice that their work is "not as good."  It is still work, and it gets done - even if your productivity is less than before.

You wrote about the time you are taking off:

Maybe being out of the pressure cooker that is my job will help-this is what I'm hoping. I feel like I threw in the towel but I've also been told by those around me that I am doing the right thing. I hope the cost to my lively hood and career are not too high. Also the financial burden. I hope to make it and to stabilize. 

I am hoping this, too.  It was amazing that you were able to work with as much difficulty as you were having.  I hope this doesn't place too much financial burden on you, that's the last thing you need right now.  Steady as she goes!

Do you have a "Plan B" if you are not feeling well enough to return?  Did your temporary disability come through with anything?

It's so hard to put withdrawal on a calendar, and say "I will take 3 months off to heal and then all will be well."  Maybe a month is all you need.  I hope so, I hope you can get back to work again, even if you are just "filling your place" with a warm body until you feel better.

Lastly, the weirdness I promised:

PapaBear said:

seems we are all in wave at the moment?

Well.  This is indeed weird, but there are influences that can make sensitive people stressed more than usual.  Geomagnetic storms.  There is some talk of it here at SA, and I'll be buggered if I understand it, but here goes.

See here:

http://www.tesis.lebedev.ru/en/magnetic_storms.html?m=10&d=9&y=2015

If we are all having a wave, there may be a reason for it.  There has been a lot of geomagnetic activity in the past month, some people (and we are a sensitive lot) are especially sensitive to it.  Sometimes, it's an extra stress that we cannot see, but that we feel, and don't know why.  This shows October 9 - but if you click through the days of the month, you will see a lot of red and yellow "storms." 

here's a picture of it - 

Oct%209%20geomagnetic_zpsloshrocy.jpg

Weird enough for you?  

I hope I gave you some reasons to smile, and to think, and some affirmations to be gentle and kind to yourself.  You deserve it!

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I thought of one more question:  it might be good for us to know what asthma medications you are on.  

Some of the puffers affect your adrenal system, and can be stimulating; similar problems with the steroids.  I'm not aware of any other type of asthma medications?

Wow, thank you for so carefully reading my thread, Jan Carol. I am surprised you had the same surgery as I. I am going to read everything you said carefully.

I just can't concentrate right now. I did get a small amount of disability but don't know how long this will last. I'm still having really bad symptoms.

As far as medications for asthma, I take several and understand the inhalers can exacerbate hyperactivity symptoms that I am having w reinstatement and WD. I am trying to just take as little as possible.

I just need to get better to get back to work. I need the health insurance.