Tristyn Cipralex withdrawals

Tristyn

I've been on 10 mg of cipralex for about a year and a half. I went on it because I was having such bad anxiety I couldn't leave my house. I'm only 19, and I have gained almost 30 pounds. I also have a hypothyroid. My family doctor told me that my weight gain has nothing to do with the cipralex she said that it is the only anti depressant that you will not gain any weight on and that it is my lifestyle choices. I've never been a heavy child, like my whole family is pretty small. I was hyperthyroid before and I was so skinny they asked me if I was anerxic. I'm sure some of it is my lifestyle choices, but I try not to eat over 1200 calories a day and I workout a lot. But nothing was coming off at all. Meanwhile my endocrinologist told me that it's either my life style choices or my antidepressants. So it's getting to the point where I have no idea what to do. I just don't feel like myself in this body now, I look in the mirror and don't even recognize myself. So I decided to see if it was the cipralex, I started slowly coming off of them, but I'm a unpaitient person, I was just going to switch to a different anti depressant, but I've noticed that my anxiety has been pretty good. Like I'll have a little bit of it but nothing like before, so I think I'm just going to completely stop. I keep having little zaps in my head, and I'm super irratiable some days. I was wondering if anyone knew if they weight would just come off again if the cipralex is the problem or if I'm going to have to work extra hard to get it off.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tristyn , welcome to the site.  

Your weight gain could definitely be from the Cipralex and it's effect on your system , even if you've been eating the

same as before.   

It can be extremely dangerous to just completely stop.   The little brain zaps are the first sign of withdrawal symptoms ,

and more symptoms can develop that can be totally debilitating.  It's important to come off the Cipralex in a SAFE manner to

avoid this.

What dose of Cipralex are and were you taking?  Could you provide more information on dates and dosages?

It is possible to come off the Cipralex , and hopefully when you do that your weight will go back to normal.

Be patient , and you'll get through this fine.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Tristyn.

Yes, your weight gain could be due to the Cipralex.

Please read Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  and Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Post your questions in your Intro topic, this is your topic to track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.