Annelien88: Trying to quit Seroxat

Annelien88

Hi everyone

I was directed here by a friend who has been suffering from withdrawal issues too. 

I was started on Xanax and 20 mg Seroxat in oct '12 because I was suffering from generalised anxiety disorder and was really down in the dumps: depressed and anxious 24/7. My GP prescribed me these two and sent me to a psychologist. After two weeks, i stopped taking the Xanax. 

I've gradually gotten better and went back to work after 6 weeks. after a few months of therapy and a few life changes, I felt much better and have been doing really well since. I tried to taper off the Seroxat in spring '13 but even taking it slow, i felt horrible and dizzy and depressed, so my doctor recommended going back to my old dosage. She gave me a new box of Xanax and told me these were for 'emergency days' where I felt I needed it. i've taken two since, I think the pack is about to expire, ha. I feel like a zombie when i take one so I avoid them. 

Anyway, last autumn I decided to try and get off the seroxat again. I halved the dosage and after two weeks of constant dizziness, I was doing okay until the depression and anxiety hit me like a train. I had to take a week off work and my doctor put me back on the 20mg. While tapering off, i felt very depressed and tired. I also sweated like crazy at night and had the worst nightmares ever. 

Right now I'm notgoing to quit or taper yet since I'm changing jobs but I hope to do so in summer or autumn this year, with your recommendations on the site of 10% at a time. What I am trying to do, however, is lose some weight and start getting in shape. I want to bike to work every day and I go running trice a week now with the 'couch to 5k program'. I hope this will help me feel better about myself which should give me a good place to start from. 

I've gained a LOT of weight (15kg) while on these pills but I don't see any other side-effects so far. when i forget to take one, i get dizzy by afternoon which is very annoying. 

So that's the story so far :)

Seroxat (Paxil) 20 mg since oct 2012 for GAD.

Tapered off twice, last try oct 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annelien , welcome to the site.  I'm so glad you found it , so you have heaps of information before beginning to taper again.

It sounds like you'e taking charge of many aspects of your life , which , as you say , will put you in a good place.

I used to keep a spare dose in my purse for in case I forgot to take it in the morning.   The dizziness is the start of W/D.

Good to have you on board ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Annelien.

It sounds like you might have already read our topics Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  and Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Post your questions in your Intro topic, this is your topic to track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Annelien, Im on Seroxat too (long time user) and doing a very slow wean. Its a great idea to exercise and try to eat well during withdrawal, whilst you cant predict how youre going to feel, exercise, plenty of water and nutrious food will go some way to helping you on your journey. Im currently doing the couch to 5k program too :-) as your not starting your withdrawal until later in the year youve got some time to prepare and research so you have some idea of what to expect. Slow and steady is the way forward. Good luck! Pink x

2002 started 20mg Seroxat for anxiety. Attempted 1st withdrawal in Autumn of 2006. Went to 0 in around a month-hell. Massive crash. Reinstated.

May 2013 started 10% taper with liquid seroxat as follows:

May 2013- 18mg                Aug 2015- 7.7mg           Jan 2017- 3.2mg

July 2013- 16.2mg             Oct 2015 -7mg               (This is where it gets a bit hazy..

Aug 2013- 14.6mg             Nov 2015- 6.4mg            I continued to do a slow wean but

Oct 2013- 13.2mg              Jan 2016- 5.6mg            didn't keep records of all my further

Jan 2014- 11.8mg              Mar 2016- 5.2mg           reductions, have filled in what I remember)

March 2014-10.6mg          May 2016- 4.6mg          Aug 2018- 0.8mg

May 2014- 9.6mg               July 2016- 4.2mg          June 2019- 0mg

Dec 2014-8.6mg                 Nov 2016- 3.6mg         

• 5 months later...

I'm currently tapering off seroxat in 5mg installments. I took 20mg, took 15 for a month, which went very very well, and a week ago i switched to 10. my doctor oversees all this, along with my pharmacist who makes the pills for me. 

It's going pretty good emotionally but i keep getting these weird dizzy feelings... it's very annoying. it makes me feel like i have the flu or i'm tipsy. i also am having some trouble with my hands, holding things tightly and dropping things a lot. it's weird as hell... does this fade? 

try tapering off with smaller amounts, from 10mg taper off by 10% reduction.

9mg etc and see how it goes. 

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

• Administrator

Annelien, I moved your posts to your Intro topic. Please read this from the beginning and read the links posted here for you.

Follow this topic or bookmark it so you can find it again.

You are getting withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

i just wanted to know if the dizziness had a fix or if it passes?

• Moderator Emeritus

The dizziness may pass , or it may get a whole lot worse.  You don't always get the w/d effect immediately , and

symptoms may take days or even weeks to appear if you've dropped your dose by too much.

So you've decreased by 50%  in 6 weeks.  That's asking for trouble.

I'd consider increasing to 15mg and sitting there for 6 to 8 weeks , if you want to avoid getting really sick.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annalien, your taper is too fast and your brain is struggling to keep up. Everyone wants to get off the drug and to do it quickly. 

We have had enough and we make the decision to get off, that decision is empowering and we are going to do it,

then hit withdrawal when our brains start to struggle, and we soldier on taking this or that to help the various symptoms. 

I did it too, but the only way to go is slowly. You can make a solution from your tablets to make smaller reductions, and I would go up to 

13.5, which will then be a 10% reduction from 15 and help the withdrawal symptoms.   I've been there, done that and learned the hard way that there is no way to beat those rotten drugs by marching into battle, we have to go stealthily and sneakily take it away very slowly! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Annalien, please read this entire topic from the beginning.