☼ dan998: Cold turkey, reinstatement and tapering citalopram

Dan998

Wonderful news, Dan! So happy for you.

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

• Moderator Emeritus

I decided that the time was right to address some of the existing anxieties and phobias that contributed to me starting the antidepressants in the first place. I have collected quite a lot of irrational fears over the years, fears that will hinder my recovery and prevent me from moving forward in life if I don’t tackle them head on.

Taking antidepressants never actually helped solve any of these problems. In fact, I think they actually made some of them worse.The drugs slowed down my thought processes to such a degree that I found it very difficult to hold a conversation.l I’d forget what I was talking about and end up repeating myself numerous times. I wouldn’t understand what was being said and would have to ask people to repeat themselves. I would stutter as I hunted for the words that were on the tip of my tongue. It was all very embarrassing and probably very annoying for everyone else involved. So I didn’t bother with the outside world and instead I just kept to myself.

By gradually exposing ourselves to our fears and insecurities it should be possible to make these activities become normal. The more we do the the thing that frightens us, the less frightening it becomes. What starts off as anxiety inducing eventually becomes a routine activity. 

I have had quite a hectic week. I’ve been spending a lot of quality time with friends and family, practising the art of conversation and just hanging out. I have been socially active and I have been participating in all sorts of normal everyday activities. I’m hesitant to use the E-word, but I did feel a slight sense of enjoyment and even had a few laughs.

It was all going so well until I got over confident. The exposure is supposed to be gradual, but I thought I knew better. I pushed myself too far too soon, which resulted in me having a massive anxiety attack. 

Strangely, it wasn’t the usual anticipation anxiety. I was actually fairly calm and was able to utilise my coping strategies during the event and was even feeling quite proud of myself. It was a delayed reaction that happened after I got home and away from the perceived danger. I closed the front door and immediately felt that all too familiar feeling rise up from the pit of my stomach. I’m still feeling it as I write this 6 hours later :(

What terrifying ordeal caused this? It was shopping. A seemingly benign activity that the vast majority of people like doing, but shopping pushes all the anxiety buttons for me. Too many things going on all at once. Too many decisions to be made. The disappointment of not being able to find what I’m looking for. Feeling lost. Making impulsive purchases that are later regretted. Then there's the crowded spaces, having to interact with surly shop assistants and becoming paranoid that the security guards think I’m a thief because I’m acting weirdly. I find the whole experience totally overwhelming.

I’ll just have to have a cautious approach to this technique in future and try not to run before I can walk. I think it is only natural that as we recover we tend to feel an urge to make up for lost time. Tempering my enthusiasm will become quite a challenge as I move forward.

*** A note of caution to anyone who is considering trying these techniques. I don’t think it would have been effective or appropriate to attempt this whilst tapering or immediately afterwards. During withdrawal everything and anything becomes frightening. It would be impossible to gauge any progress and you could set off some rather spectacular waves that might destabilise you for a very long time.

Edited by Dan998

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Dan998 said:

I’ll just have to have a cautious approach to this technique in future and try not to run before I can walk. I think it is only natural that as we recover we tend to feel an urge to make up for lost time. Tempering my enthusiasm will become quite a challenge as I move forward.

*** A note of caution to anyone who is considering trying these techniques. I don’t think it would have been effective or appropriate to attempt this whilst tapering or immediately afterwards. During withdrawal everything and anything becomes frightening. It would be impossible to gauge any progress and you could set off some rather spectacular waves that might destabilise you for a very long time.

Hi Dan,

It's great that you had a sense of enjoyment while being with family. 

I can definitely relate to being overwhelmed by shopping. It can be really overstimulating, so many people, bright lights, decisions. 

And wow, I've been there with overdoing it because I get so excited about feeling okay or good!

And I'm glad you wrote the cautionary note about trying certain techniques while we still might be on unsteady ground because of withdrawal.

Has the anxiety gone down now?

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm feeling slightly calmer this morning, but didn't sleep particularly well and still have a sense of uneasyness. 

Yes Skyblue, I thought it was very important to warn people not to push themselves until they are a long way down the healing road.

During tapering doing nothing is doing something.

2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

• Moderator Emeritus

The earlier anxiety has morphed into a strange sense of restlessness. I think this is the best way to describe it. It’s not an unpleasant experience, so I doubt that it could be akathisia, agitation, turmoil or mania. It’s like my body is full of unburnt energy and I have a desire to do something with it. I want to go out and do something, only I have no idea what it is I want to do. An irresistible urge to use my time more productively. 

I tried to burn it off with some exercise; went to swimming class (more on that later), did some gardening, ran some errands, went for an exceptionally long walk. My muscles are sore and achy now, but I’m still feeling like I could, and should, be doing more.

Withdrawal was all about resting and waiting. Keeping everything simple, ordered and routine. Essentially doing nothing while the brain repaired itself. Recovery feels like it needs things to be shaken up a bit. Pushing the boundaries of what’s comfortable until the boundaries expand.

One explanation of why I might be feeling so discombobulated is that there are lots of little adjustments slowly, but continually, happening on a cellular level. Little changes that eventually multiply enough that they become detectable to the diagnostic and feedback systems within the CNS. I think the brain struggles to interpret these messages and the only response it has is to activate the amygdala and sound the fear alarm.

The restlessness could be a metabolic change. Psychotropics are known to mess about with the metabolism and cause the mitochondria to dysfunction. It’s entirely conceivable that my cells are going back to normal and yielding the appropriate amount of energy now. I’ll just have to learn how to use it and make the most of it. 

It has also occurred to me that this could all be indicative of the dopamine system starting to function again. I’d expect that the pathways would take a while to re-establish properly, there would be a lot of synaptic misfiring and this would account for the confused emotions, restlessness and an increased desire to be active. I like this hypothesis, because if it is true, it would mean an end to the debilitating anhedonia that has plagued me throughout my antidepressant misadventure.

Oh well. I shall have to keep an eye on the situation and see how it develops. Could be good, could be bad, could just be a normal part of the recovery process.

It probably has no significance, but whilst on the subject of keeping an eye on things, the floaters are annoyingly noticeable today. They look a lot blacker than usual. I really should get around to having my eyes tested. I can add it to the don’t-want-to-do list

Edited by Dan998
irrelevant content

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm back to suffering from that horrible constant low-level anxiety. It's there when I wake up and is still there when I go to bed. Thankfully it hasn't affected my sleep (yet). The resultant release of cortisol is making it hard to think straight. I'm having some difficulty concentrating and the withdrawal dyslexia has made an unwelcome return, anything to do with language is proving challenging. struggling to retain any information. Brain feels slightly scrambled.  It's been like this for a couple of days.

I'm alright if I'm doing physical stuff and I consequently wandered around aimlessly for 5 hrs today. Couldn't even tell you where I went or what I did. The lights were on, but nobody was home.

Also, got those total brain shutdowns going on. Hot and tingly scalp. Eye pain. Earache. Headaches coming and going. Overwhelming sense of fatigue. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

My intuition is still telling me this has something to do with those dopamine pathways I was talking about the other day. I expect there's a short circuit... Come on brain, sort it out... I'll do some proper research once I'm firing on all cylinders again. I've done some brief preliminary reading, but just cannot make sense of any of it. Might as well be written in Chinese.

I felt remarkably good the other day. This is very disappointing. I've been here before though, many, many times before. It sucks, but I shall just have to surrender to this and take it easy for a while. The situation will inevitably turn around again, it always does, of that I am certain. Acknowledge, accept, float is all I can do for now. Keep my head down. Wait for the storm to pass.

Edited by Dan998

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus

Much calmer today. If anything feeling rather tired, but prefer this to the anxiety and all the other nastiness. My cognitive state has returned to somewhat normal levels now that the stress hormones aren't running amok. There is a great deal of instability at the moment, with no two days being the same. I assume this just means that more healing is going on.

Had a bonus prize today; The world felt a little more realer than usual. Which leads me to believe that I am still suffering from some derealisation. I thought I was seeing everything with clarity, so it comes as a pleasant surprise when recovery surpasses your expectations. It makes me wonder how much more 'real' my concept of reality is going to become?

I had a chance to look a bit deeper into mitochondria and withdrawal. I don't really think it's an adequate explanation of what is going on. From what I can gather, "all classes of psychotropic drugs have been documented to damage mitochondria." This would explain some of the side effects. "However, mitochondria are incredibly dynamic. They are constantly dividing, fusing, and changing shape." This would suggest that once off the drugs any damage would be quickly undone. This is not the case as it can take many years for energy levels to return to normal after withdrawal. Something else is happening that affects energy and motivation.

What I did find out is that "mitochondria multiply when the energy needs of a cell increase. Therefore, power-hungry cells have more mitochondria than cells with lower energy needs. For example, repeatedly stimulating a muscle cell will spur the production of more mitochondria in that cell, to keep up with energy demand. In case the energy requirement of cells reduce, the excess Mitochondria will simply die." This implies that the best way to increase energy levels is to be more energetic. The more you do, the more you can do. But, keep in mind that vigorous exercise can be triggering for some people in withdrawal.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/ebooks/cell-biology-for-seminars-14760004/129391449

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18626887

https://factslegend.org/40-interesting-mitochondria-facts-structure-function-mtdna/

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus
On June 1, 2018 at 7:02 PM, Dan998 said:

Had a bonus prize today; The world felt a little more realer than usual. Which leads me to believe that I am still suffering from some derealisation. I thought I was seeing everything with clarity, so it comes as a pleasant surprise when recovery surpasses your expectations. It makes me wonder how much more 'real' my concept of reality is going to become?

Hi Dan,

Very cool about feeling somewhat calmer, and the re-realization too. 

I had a similarly wonderful feeling about a week ago (I need to update my thead.) It was just like everything was SO clear. I was like, is this what people feel like? Who aren't on psych drugs or in wd? Whaaaat!??? Of course I can't describe it, but it was the proverbial "colors are brighter," etc., and like I was very deeply experiencing being a human. 

I appreciate the info on psych drugs and mitochondria. It makes a lot of sense that they affect mitochondria, since they mess up metabolism. I hadn't thought of that piece of it. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

On 6/1/2018 at 5:02 PM, Dan998 said:

Dan -- Good to hear about your continued "clarity." 

I've read others on SA say what you're saying. The painfully slow "revealing" of the self (the "real") keeps coming, and it's exciting to experience (and scary, too). Most seem to be delighted with it; some aren't. 

I'm only three weeks post-jump, but I'm beginning to feel the changes you're describing, too. I'm beginning to perceive the world and myself with less paranoia; the negative aura that WD imbues everything with--dread, really--is very slowly fading.  😃 I'm trying to enjoy it! I'm trying to be patient as the feelings come back.

Everyone has experienced feelings of return. We've all been away for a week or longer (vacation, school, etc.) and felt the disassociation (derealization) walking through our front door, thinking "It's like I don't know the place...." In withdrawal we feel that ALL THE TIME. Being a stranger to one's self. Emotional connections severed. The fear of never being able to return.

Post-vacation disassociation fades after a day or two. For us in recovery, that "one day" occurs over a year or two.

One day, maybe without realizing it, we're all be home again.

These changes I'm feeling are profound, but they're hard to put into words.

I had tried and failed to stop Paxil several times (though never using a long, slow taper) and thought Celexa might be easier, so I shifted to Celexa in 2012. In August of 2014 I began a serious tapered withdrawal from Celexa (20 mg.), making monthly drops, mostly 10% of the last dose, sometimes more, sometimes less.  In July of 2016 I took an early retirement at 59 in large part because of my intense withdrawal  symptoms.

Three years and eight months after beginning my taper, I stopped taking Celexa on 5/12/18.

I am currently in recovery and I am very slowly getting better. I still have waves and some are quite bad. But overall the trend is toward healing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @SkyBlue and @myndfull

Derealisation, or re-realisation, is a really difficult concept to express. How can you compare your experience of the present with a memory of the past? Memories are just an interpretation of how we thought we saw something, and these memories can change with each recollection. I sometimes get glimmers of my pre-drug state, but the past is often seen through rose tinted spectacles. If we could time travel and really put ourselves back in that exact place would our experience of perception be the same?

Most of us here know that our concepts of reality aren't quite right,  but we have been living in a skewed existence for such a long time that it appears to us as normal. The changes can be very subtle. I suppose it's only when there is a big shift that we actually sit up and take notice. I can vividly recall when my reality had a dimensional shift. It was about 6 months after finishing my taper. Everything just popped out at me, even things that weren't supposed to be in 3D like photographs and the television had depth to them. It was very unsettling and actually made me feel very sick. It took about a week to adjust to this new normal. 

I definitely have a feeling that things still aren't quite right. I suppose it could be as simple as my eyesight is failing as I age, but it seems like there's more to it than that. A difference in perception. A feeling that I'm not quite there yet. I'm not even sure that I will even recognize normality when it finally arrives.

Really interesting link that discusses some of these issues>> The role of emotion in memory

Edited by Dan998

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dan, 

How wonderful to read about your long windows. Your positivity is inspiring and contagious. Thanks for sharing. 

I’m sooo glad you can see the end in sight now, the sun is coming out again. ☀️☀️☀️

You’ve done really well to have finished your taper, I’m happy for you. 

I’ve noticed a lot of people on this site have tinnitus, it seems to be very common. I go to a lot of concerts and I never wear ear plugs, but one of the members here said I should get earplugs so I did when I went to see Imagine Dragons recently. That was a loud concert but amazing! 

Wishing you all all the best in your continued recovery 💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey there, Carmie. Thanks for those kind words.

The tinnitus is another symptom that is slowly improving. For the most part, I don't notice it  during the daytime. It is only present during the morning and evening. I'm guessing levels of certain neurotransmitters or hormones (probably serotonin) are unbalanced during these times.

I've read about quite a few success stories where the tinnitus has slowly resolved itself. I reckon it's just a case of waiting for more time to pass until all my synapses are firing as nature intended. 

I saw some live music in a pub recently, the band were excellent, but I found the noise levels very uncomfortable. Definitely wear those ear plugs as its not just withdrawal that cause tinnitus and there's no point in risking making it worse.

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus

I found a study that sort of backs this idea up. (I should probably copy this into the tinnitus thread.)

"Although it is still not clear where tinnitus is located, e.g., in the ear or in the brain, in the auditory system or in non-auditory systems, significant progress has been made in the past ten years that links tinnitus with neurological changes in the brain. Since neurotransmitter release from neuron presynaptic structures and the response in postsynaptic structures play an important role in auditory signal generation, transmission and perception, dysfunction of certain neurotransmitters and their receptors may be a key in triggering tinnitus generation."

Neurotransmitter Modulation Relates with Tinnitus Signal Generation and Management

Read my success story

1 hour ago, Dan998 said:

I found a study that sort of backs this idea up. (I should probably copy this into the tinnitus thread.)

"Although it is still not clear where tinnitus is located, e.g., in the ear or in the brain, in the auditory system or in non-auditory systems, significant progress has been made in the past ten years that links tinnitus with neurological changes in the brain. Since neurotransmitter release from neuron presynaptic structures and the response in postsynaptic structures play an important role in auditory signal generation, transmission and perception, dysfunction of certain neurotransmitters and their receptors may be a key in triggering tinnitus generation."

Neurotransmitter Modulation Relates with Tinnitus Signal Generation and Management

Thanks for the info, very useful! 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/9/2018 at 2:35 AM, Dan998 said:

Hey there, Carmie. Thanks for those kind words.

The tinnitus is another symptom that is slowly improving. For the most part, I don't notice it  during the daytime. It is only present during the morning and evening. I'm guessing levels of certain neurotransmitters or hormones (probably serotonin) are unbalanced during these times.

I've read about quite a few success stories where the tinnitus has slowly resolved itself. I reckon it's just a case of waiting for more time to pass until all my synapses are firing as nature intended. 

I saw some live music in a pub recently, the band were excellent, but I found the noise levels very uncomfortable. Definitely wear those ear plugs as its not just withdrawal that cause tinnitus and there's no point in risking making it worse.

Hi Dan ,

Glad to hear the tinnitus is getting better. Yes, you should put that link in the tinnitus section for people who have it. Great to hear of all the success stories too of people overcoming it. 

I will take ear ear plugs to concerts from now on as the music is extremely loud. I love loud music but I don’t want it to damage my ears. If you get tinnitus from withdrawals it will eventually disappear once everything is back in homeostasis. I wonder if people can repair noise induced tinnitus. 

A few people I know have it, one from the noise on construction sites and the other from lawnmowers.

Are you still having long windows? 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm in a good place at the moment. Been feeling more energetic and alive than I have done in a long while. There is still some residual anxiety that lurks below the surface. It threatens to rise up and ruin my day if I allow the excess energy to build up inside me. I have to redirect and release it in a healthy way. So, when I feel the restlessness happening, I get out and get moving (it's possibly a fight or flight response).

I usually walk the same route. I have done since this all began many years ago. But, I surprised myself the other day. I got an urge to experience somewhere different and had an unexpected day trip to a neighbouring town where I had a fantastic walk along the clifftops. It was nice to fully appreciate some truly outstanding natural beauty and I think the change of scenery did me some good. Expanded my horizons and opened my mind to new possibilities.

Anything new and unexpected can easily upset a sensitive nervous system. So, exploring a new place, doing it alone, and not feeling anxious or uncomfortable is more proof of my continued recovery. A year ago, venturing this far away would have filled me with utter dread. I suppose the next step in my progression towards normality will be to spend a night away from home. Who knows, I might even be able to go on a proper holiday soon. I certainly need one.

I saw this lighthouse whilst on my travels. It's a beacon that guides lost souls away from the rocks during stormy weather. This neatly symbolises what SA has represented to me over the past few years. (And yes, I really was that close to the edge of a 500ft cliff.)

Beachy Head Lighthouse

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Carmie said:

If you get tinnitus from withdrawals it will eventually disappear once everything is back in homeostasis. I wonder if people can repair noise induced tinnitus. 

It's hard to tell. I've spent a lot of time reading various tinnitus forums and it seems that some SSRI's are otoxic and can damage the hearing system. While for other people antidepressants drastically reduce tinnitus levels. And, then there are those, like myself, who only developed it after stopping the drugs. It all seems very complicated and not very well understood. However, tinnitus does seem to be permanent for people with significant hearing loss. It has something to do with the brain misinterpreting the missing frequencies.

Read my success story

Such a lovely update, and awaresome view!

Thanks for sharing the great news and wish you more healing!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

I'll be right over to join you on your walk, that's beautiful.  I'm glad you're feeling well enough to enjoy it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Loving your lighthouse, Dan...beautiful analogy.  Thank you!

My tinnitus is bad tonight but not as bad as when it actually 'plays' different notes...like a repetitive annoying melody.  I wonder if it will ever go away, but if, God willing, I get through this and that is all I have I'll be singing loudly along with that annoying melody!!! :)

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

The tinnitus does eventually go away.  Mine was quite loud for many years  before and during my taper, but now it's almost non existent.  I have noticed that stress will cause it to spike up for a while.  I used to get a phantom radio station that played swing music as part of mine.  Never quite loud enough to listen to but there in the background.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

What a wonderful update, Dan!  Thank you for sharing the gorgeous picture too.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

• 2 weeks later...

How are you feeling now Dan?

Are you getting the windows and waves or just a continual improvement?

Im 12 months off Citalopram CT and struggling.

The only way I can describe it is I can still feel part of the citalopram in my system. It feels as im still half under the influence and half not. Every time I wake up and I can feel 'under the influence' it knocks my confidence as I feel i still have a long way to go

Do you recomend reinstating at 10mg and slowly tapering?

Were you able to work during your slow taper?

Thanks and best wishes

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jonny.

Yep, the windows and waves are very much in evidence. What tends to happen is that there is a noticeable improvement to the baseline of symptoms after every wave. Because of this I don't find them as threatening as they used to be. They're probably going to continue for a few years yet. Despite these minor setbacks the trend is definitely heading towards recovery.

I can totally relate with what you're describing. It can feel certainly feel like a chemically charged experience even though the drugs will be well and truly out of your system by now. I believe this has to do with neurotransmitter dysfunction causing the amygdala, which is the part of the brain responsible for processing danger and fear, to become overly sensitized and flood the body with stress hormones. An unpleasant experiecnce, but it cannot harm you and it will gradually improve with time.

6 hours ago, jonnypeters1234567 said:

Were you able to work during your slow taper?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to work since 2005 as the drugs ruined my cognitive ability and turned me into a brain-dead couch potato. I'm now feeling ready, willing and able to go back to work. Just have the minor task of finding a job now,

I answered your reinstatement question over on your own thread.

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you to everybody who left nice comments about my lighthouse photo. Not bad for a phone cam eh? Although I did cheat a little and adjust the brightness on the cliffs as they were in heavy shadow.

Photography used to be one of my favourite hobbies before all this WD nonsense started. I have a big bag of very expensive camera equipment that hasn't seen the light of day for many years. I'm going to head back over to take some proper shots with the SLR camera. I reckon a panorama would look fab.

There are some beautiful coastal walks around here. Perhaps I could start a photoblog detailing some of them. I know that sort of thing tends to be quite popular and it'll give me an excuse to go and do some more exploring.

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Dan998 said:

Thank you to everybody who left nice comments about my lighthouse photo. Not bad for a phone cam eh? Although I did cheat a little and adjust the brightness on the cliffs as they were in heavy shadow.

Photography used to be one of my favourite hobbies before all this WD nonsense started. I have a big bag of very expensive camera equipment that hasn't seen the light of day for many years. I'm going to head back over to take some proper shots with the SLR camera. I reckon a panorama would look fab.

There are some beautiful coastal walks around here. Perhaps I could start a photoblog detailing some of them. I know that sort of thing tends to be quite popular and it'll give me an excuse to go and do some more exploring.

Hi Dan, 

Yes, your photo was beautiful. Keep taking photos, I love doing that too. I’ve taken photos even when I’ve been feeling really anhedonic. Then when waves were bad I spent time editing, good distraction. I love nature and all the little complexities in it, it’s just incredible.

You’re fortunate to have such beautiful coastal places where you live. We’ve got lots of beaches here too, but I don’t live near one. Oh, to wake up in the morning and walk to the beach! I do have a creek near my place though. I find the sound of water so soothing.

I’m so glad you’re feeling much better, all the best with your job hunting.💚

Dan, your photo is beautiful. You have really talent. The place seems to be very nice. So quite. Is it in England? I would also make photos, but I have no talent for that. So I do rather painting. Now I am back home from work and at 20 pm I will start painting.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

On 6/22/2018 at 6:11 PM, Dan998 said:

the drugs ruined my cognitive ability and turned me into a brain-dead couch potato

Seems like your sense of humor is back too (if you ever lost it)!

Glad that you are doing better.  Hope the progress continues.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

How are you now dan?

I'm 12 months off and feel horrendous. My baseline is bad, I feel like I'm half in reallity and half not. Feeling charged all the time and can't sleep or relax

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

did you have insomnia issues dan?

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Hi, Dan, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Life has been giving me a bit of a kicking lately. A series of unfortunate events that has led to me having no money and nowhere to live.

With regards to withdrawal I'm doing OK. It's mostly just anxiety now, which is understandable considering the difficulties I've had to endure. 

Once I'm settled somewhere and have proper access to the internet I'll post a more detailed update.

Read my success story

I'm really sorry to hear that Dan.  I hope things settle out quickly and you get back on your feet soon. I really glad the WD isn't causing problems.

Brassmonkey

Hi Dan.

So sorry you are having these problems - hope things improve for you soon.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 11/6/2018 at 10:53 PM, Dan998 said:

Life has been giving me a bit of a kicking lately. A series of unfortunate events that has led to me having no money and nowhere to live.

With regards to withdrawal I'm doing OK. It's mostly just anxiety now, which is understandable considering the difficulties I've had to endure. 

Once I'm settled somewhere and have proper access to the internet I'll post a more detailed update.

Hi Dan, 

Did you manage to get some some finances n somewhere to live?

I’m sure a lot of people on this site would like to know how you’re doing. 

Sending hugs🤗

• 3 months later...

Hi Dan, 

How have you been? I just wanted to say thank you for writing your withdrawal journey your words really resonated with me and they have helped me greatly and I read your recovery over and over for hope. 

May 2014 - July 2015 0.5 Clonazapam (cold turkey off)

October 2014 - November 2014 took Beta Blocker Propranolol (fast taper off)

December 2014 - began 2.5mg Lexapro worked up to 30mg Lexapro over 3 months

December 2014 - 2 mg Valium started sometimes took up to 6 mg Valium

April 2015 - started 25mg Lamictal worked up to 100mg Lamictal

April 2015  - began taper 4mg Valium. Stopped Valium 

July 2015 - stopped crumb of 2mg Valium

September 2017 began taper 30mg Lexapro.

February 2018 last dose Lexapro 1.25mg

October 2020 - Began 10% taper of Lamictal Dec 2019. was going ok until tapered from 45mg - 40mg. 

September 2023 - on the 13th of September 2023 I took my last dose of Lamictal 0.1mg. Finally psych med free!!