SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Leyland: Weaning after 14 years

Leyland

Hi all, I have been on anti-depressants for almost 14 years. I am currently on Celexa 40mg. 

I had a recent Dr appt and she and I decided to try and wean off the medication. 

Two weeks ago I went down to 20mg per day and now I am supposed to be doing 20mg every other day for 2 weeks, then stop.

I really don't think I am going to be able to do it.

I have had a migraine/headache since Sunday evening...it's Wednesday evening as I type this!

I am exhausted, have no energy, am crying, irritable, can't concentrate, brain zaps....basically every side effect! 

I am really ready to give up, but I want to get off this medicine. I am hoping this forum will give me some help with coping!

Thanks!!

• Moderator Emeritus

hi Leyland - i am so glad that you found this site before you go too much further with your reductions. This site recommends a 10% reduction schedule with at least a 3week break between reductions.  You may find that you settle if you were to go back up to about 30mg - if not the whole 40mg being as it has only been two weeks.  once you have stablised then you can recommence with a 10% per 3 weekly schedule.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Leyland.

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  and Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Post your questions in your Intro topic, this is your topic to track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.