• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, naturegirl said:

One of the hardest things is i am struggling to maintain my patience with my precious 2 and 4 yr old daughters. They are at challenging ages regardless, and now i have withdrawal on top of it.

Is there anyone at all who can come over and help you?  Can you possibly enroll them in a Mother's Day out program, or preschool?  When my oldest son was 3, the Mother's Day out program really helped me, by giving me a break.  

14 hours ago, naturegirl said:

I wonder if anyone else has had trouble from melatonin. I also wonder if the l theanine, ashwagandha, gaba, shitake supplement i'm taking is hurting me. I take it in the morning and feel like it causes tiredness which is better than anxiety, but then i had crushing chest anxiety later so maybe rebound? I cut the dose in half today and will try to eliminate it.

Yes, this could be causing a problem.  Our destabilized nervous systems can cause us to have unpredictable and paradoxical reactions to other drugs, supplements, and even foods.  

It's great that you are getting 6-7 hours of sleep!  Try not to freak out when you have the sleepless nights.  I had a completely sleepless night 2 nights ago, but I managed to get through the next day.  

Taking a semi brisk walk can really help for anxiety.  Can you load the girls up in a wagon or stroller, and walk outside for about 30 minutes?  Also, have you tried the magnesium? This can help with anxiety.  Start with a little bit, and take small amounts throughout the day. 

Magnesium

I know this is a very scary and distressing time to go through, especially with 2 small children.  I'm right here, and I'm sending positive feelings and prayers your way right now!  My heart goes out to you. I understand how terrifying it is to feel this way, and never know from one day to the next how you are going to feel, or how you will sleep.  I've been where you are!  If I were there with you, I would hold your hand, and sit with you, and reassure you that someday, this will get better.  Please read this post by. Scrountz carefully, it has some really good points.  

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

Try reading some of the success stories, too.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank u getofflex, u are a very kind person. I read scrountz's post, it's very good! I took notes. I'm glad i got off the med train before it got any worse, my doc was trying to force olanzapine on me. My anxiety has settled some...i went on a lovely hike, set up half my garage sale, and cleaned the bathrooms- all despite little sleep! I will go get my babies from preschool soon.

Approximately 6 years ago, recovered from a horrific multi-year psychiatric med withdrawal including several benzos and antidepressants. Went on to have 2 beautiful babies, fulfilling my dream.

Never thought i would be in this situation again....

Started having severe insomnia and anxiety linked to my cycle. Took excessive amounts of melatonin to combat it, I believe this worsened everything. Sought help and was given:

April to may 2022- gabapentin 300mg, trazodone 25-75mg x 1 week. Hydroxyzine 50mg 1 dose. Ambien 10mg 2 doses. Doxepin 25mg 1 dose. Seroquel 1 dose. Carbemazepine in ER x 1 dose for tremors from 1 week of gabapentin. 

May 22-June 23 2022- prozac 3.2mg x 2 weeks, 5mg x 2 weeks, 2.5mg x 1 week, stop. Also mirtazapine 1.87mg-3.75mg x 2 weeks to deal with prozac insomnia. Also 3 doses lorazepam 0.5mg to deal with severe akathisia from prozac. Benzos are a huge no-no for me due to past accidental dependence.

Off everything including melatonin supplement as of June 23 2022. 

Today is hard. I still shake and vibrate often. I wake up shaking in the night and it worsens around 430am so i dont sleep much past that. Today i have that crushing chest anxiety feeling, that had improved for a few days. Appetite is back and if anything is now bigger than normal. Overactive bladder seems slightly better. Muscle tension and pain is bad today. I am still getting on with my days pretty well, just going to work and pretending to be normal. Trying to shower my kids with love as much as possible. I really really dont want this to take months or years to get completely better!! 

Approximately 6 years ago, recovered from a horrific multi-year psychiatric med withdrawal including several benzos and antidepressants. Went on to have 2 beautiful babies, fulfilling my dream.

Started having severe insomnia and anxiety linked to my cycle. Took excessive amounts of melatonin to combat it, I believe this worsened everything. Sought help and was given:

April to may 2022- gabapentin 300mg, trazodone 25-75mg x 1 week. Hydroxyzine 50mg 1 dose. Ambien 10mg 2 doses. Doxepin 25mg 1 dose. Seroquel 1 dose. Carbemazepine in ER x 1 dose for tremors from 1 week of gabapentin. 

May 22-June 23 2022- prozac 3.2mg x 2 weeks, 5mg x 2 weeks, 2.5mg x 1 week, stop. Also mirtazapine 1.87mg-3.75mg x 2 weeks to deal with prozac insomnia. Also 3 doses lorazepam 0.5mg to deal with severe akathisia from prozac. Benzos are a huge no-no for me due to past accidental dependence.

I cannot get much sleep because every time i drift off, i wake up a short time later shaking and vibrating. It takes an hour or so for it to calm enough to drift off again, and the same pattern repeats. By 4am i can no longer go back to sleep. I only took 2.5-5mg prozac for 5 weeks, how could there be so much damage?? Please someone tell me this gets better. 

Why does no one respond to me? I feel so scared and alone. I can't turn to doctors for help, obviously. My nervous system is so dysregulated and I do so many things to help myself but improvements are so incremental they are hardly there.

On 4/25/2015 at 10:26 AM, naturegirl said:

Thanks for the replies. I can ask my doctor to check me for lyme. I want to leave no stone un-turned, as the initial stages of this flare-up did not feel like anxiety or depession at all, but a flu-like illness. I don't know if that illness is still there- the anxiety is so strong, that's all I can feel. I ended up talking to the psychiatrist who helped me taper off effexor. She wanted to start all sorts of mood stabilizers (did not feel I am bi-polar, but said they would help calm me down anyway). I said no way am I taking that stuff, so she prescribed a short course of clonazepam. I took one last night and got ~8 hours of sleep for the first time in days. I feel drugged up and anxious this morning, but better overall. Of course I'm bummed that I broke my 1 year streak of no psychoactive meds, but really felt I needed to do something. I am also giving my work a 30-day resignment notice today. I love my job and it breaks my heart to do this, but I feel it is just too stressful of a place to be for someone who is sensitive and recovering from withdrawal. This is the last thing I am going to try before going back on meds. I have done everything else to help myself (therapy, excercise, meditation, etc) but have not changed my environment. If after a few months away from work I'm still anxiety-ridden, I will have no choice to go back on meds, as I must live a functional life to be happy. Does anyone know if people 100% get through this?

hi @naturegirl

I am new to this site as of 2 days....I am 15 months off Effexor (150mg) and am having bad withdrawal symptoms--dont go back on the drugs if you can help it. I want to get rid of the anxiety, panic, depression and insomnia but I refuse to let the drugs win. I thought I was having menopause issues and not withdrawal--I was clueless...hang in there, talk to your family about it and let them know your situation and and their understanding will hopefully lessen their demands of you right now and help you get through this.. We are not crazy--its the drugs.!

I am new to group this a.m. I am thankful to see the advice and help that is available.

My history:

Effexor 300mg 10 yrs Jan 2000

Effexor 150mg 11 yrs (cold turkey myself w/no adverse effects) 2011 

Tapered 10% beads starting in January 2020

Completely off March 2021

8/5/2022--Feeling depressed, anxiety since off meds--thought it was menopause and life changes(kids growing up etc.)

Starting fish oil and magnesium 8/5/2022

Hi Mg3570, 

I totally agree. It's so hard to feel this way, but drugs are not the answer. After 15 months, are u getting any improvement? I'm having a hard time distracting myself today. My gi tract is in bad shape today, little sleep last night. I just want to be at peace!

11 minutes ago, naturegirl said:

Hi Mg3570, 

I totally agree. It's so hard to feel this way, but drugs are not the answer. After 15 months, are u getting any improvement? I'm having a hard time distracting myself today. My gi tract is in bad shape today, little sleep last night. I just want to be at peace!

@naturegirl I don't know if I'm making improvements. I've been 15 months off Effexor and just realized my symptoms were WD not menopause and mid life crisis. I'm a slow learner for sure...I'm hoping that now I can recognize this WD for what it is I can handle it better. The anxiety is ridiculous--never had it b4 in my life, the depression, anger, no sleep...I have no interest in doing anything that used to bring me joy--cooking, gardening, reading, exercise, art.etc... I'm now forcing myself to get outside and walk a little--that seems to help somewhat. I find all I do is obsess about how bad I feel--it is the most discouraging thing. 

Finding this website has helped me a lot and its guided me to other resources so that has been great to see we are not alone in this battle and not crazy about the feelings we have--even tho they are crazy feelings. lol  Maybe by us writing about it and trying to help others thru it, we can heal ourselves as well--that is my hope. 

Stay strong, I know it's hard but we are all here for you and are struggling through it together. 

Love & Support,

Mg

I am new to group this a.m. I am thankful to see the advice and help that is available.

My history:

Effexor 300mg 10 yrs Jan 2000

Effexor 150mg 11 yrs (cold turkey myself w/no adverse effects) 2011 

Tapered 10% beads starting in January 2020

Completely off March 2021

8/5/2022--Feeling depressed, anxiety since off meds--thought it was menopause and life changes(kids growing up etc.)

Starting fish oil and magnesium 8/5/2022

I have some thoughts like "maybe this is really how i am, maybe i really do need medication and just haven't found the right one". However, i have had days this past week where i was almost normal. Real anxiety and depression don't just switch on and off in a day, right? 

A quote I like...

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how".

On 8/7/2022 at 6:26 AM, naturegirl said:

I feel so scared and alone.

Hi Nature girl. You are NOT alone. I am so sorry that you are going through this. YES, you WILL heal. Healing takes time. I know that NONE of us want to hear that this is a very slow and non-linear process but it is. Stay away from caffeine, junk food, alcohol, smoking and supplements. Eat as clean as you can. Practice self care and self love. Feel free to tag me if you need a friend. We are ALL in this together. I hope you are in therapy too. Therapy helps quite a bit.

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg

Thank u Ninabird. Things that have improved are: tinnitus is still present but quieter. Appetite is back, maybe even increased now. No more gagging or dry heaving in morning. Sleep is becoming more regular. Vision is better. Personality is more like myself. Things that are still a problem: sleep is more tortured (i wake up shaking and vibrating in the night, i clench my jaw, face, or hands and wake up sore). However, my dreams are mostly pleasant. I have severe diarrhea every morning no fail, and therefore can't seem to gain any weight back. I still get random chest crushing feelings, sort of like anxiety but not tied to thoughts or feelings. Still very sensitive to stress. Only feelings i seem to have are anger or irritation. Very rarely do i feel happy, content, or sad. I managed to leak a few tears out at a sad movie the other night and it was almost painful to do so. My eye twitch is gone, but my other muscles twitch frequently. I am still restless and feel like i need to move or exercise pretty much all day every day. 

I'm sure i'm missing some of the good and bad, but those are the big ones. I emailed the prescribing doctor of my poison (prozac), not because i thought she could help but because i thought she should know what happens to some people when russian roulette is played with their brains and various chemicals. Of course, she said its not the drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, naturegirl said:

I have some thoughts like "maybe this is really how i am, maybe i really do need medication and just haven't found the right one". However, i have had days this past week where i was almost normal. Real anxiety and depression don't just switch on and off in a day, right? 

What you are experiencing here are the typical windows and waves of WD. You are correct, anxiety and depression don't switch on and off like that.  

When you say "maybe this is how I really am", it's because our distorted thoughts during WD are very compelling, and it is easy to think this is just who we are, and we will always be that way.  This is really common.  This link is really helpful: 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where i'm at... shaking and vibrating is still present but definitely improving. Instead of feeling wired all the time, i have shifted into a state fatigue. I now have widespread body pain. I have noticed that if i wake up at 4 or 5am and dont get out of bed immediately, and instead doze off and on, i wake up in severe pain which lasts all day and also exhaustion. So, 6-7 hrs sleep keeps me feeling good...anything more than that causes pain, a toxi feeling, and exhaustion which lasts all day. This makes no sense to me...more sleep should be better, right? Is pain like this considered withdrawal? Because this, more than anything, has me feeling hopeless. My gi issues are improving, and i hardly ever get the crushing chest anxiety anymore. Everything i mentioned varies in intensity from day to day. I really hope that i can stay strong enough and level headed enough to never ever see a doctor for stress, sleep, or anxiety again and therefore never accept another prescription. I must stay strong!!! I'm still working and going about life fairly normally, and some days...it's brutal!! I hope the old me is not lost forever.

I did something dumb. I was having good days here and there so I agreed to bring my 2 kiddos on a weekend trip to my sister's house for a birthday party. I worked a very stressful day, then picked them up from daycare and drove 3 hours in a rainstorm. We arrived last night, i was feeling very stressed. I had a horrible night of little bits of tense sleep. I awoke early, like usual, at 5am while everyone else in the house slept peacefully. Today my body is screaming in pain, i'm sleep deprived, i feel anxious and depressed. My body is vibrating and shaking more than ever. I just want to go back home, but also dont want to give in and let this win. Why can't i just enjoy a weekend away like a normal person? Feeling so discouraged. Everyone around me is so normal.

Hi @naturegirl

I'm sorry you find yourself in this stressful spot. 

Please don't beat yourself up about it. 

It can be very difficult to accurately assess what we can and cannot do in WD. 

It's all the more difficult when we want so badly to be able to do something, and when the people around us really want to do something, and ordinarily it would be no big deal -- it can be so hard for our poor, confused brains to logically figure out, Oh wait that's probably too much for me right now, I should probably say no. 

Actually, figuring that sort of thing out and saying no is hard for very many people, including those who have never touched psych drugs or gone through WD. 

It's not your fault. 

You wanted to give your kids and sister a fun family time and have everyone enjoy a weekend birthday party. So you said yes and pushed through work and weather and withdrawal to deliver. You did this because you are a human being who loves and lives and gives. 

At the same time, your biological self, your organism is going through a healing process and insists on doing its job to protect you. You see, while you are pushing through to show up for your family, your body and brain are pushing through to show up for you in their brilliant 24/7 healing work that they do behind the scenes, around the clock, all the time. So in a way, you are in alignment and have a lot in common! It's just that sometimes it doesn't quite feel that way. 

I trust that healing is happening. Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously feel it!

Please be kind to yourself. 

You are working so hard. Your brain and body and all your systems are working so hard. 

Give yourself lots of credit and tender loving care. 

Healing is happening <3

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

@Ariel, thank u for writing such a kind response. It truly means the world to me. It's so frustrating not being able to do the things I want to do. Like having a chronic illness. I will not be trying to leave home again for a long time, this has been far too stressful. All to just to try to have a fun time with family. I hope you're having a good day and wish u the best on your healing journey.

@naturegirl

I can relate.

Just earlier today something happened in my little WD bubble that left me disproportionately affected. 

There was a family get-together planned for tomorrow. 

This morning my father called to suggest we meet today instead of tomorrow. 

My first impulse was to mobilize and I heard myself saying, Yeah sure, I could probably be there in two hours from now

As I was saying that, I felt my brain go fuzzy and I started to feel dizzy and I realized that I felt confused and overwhelmed. 

I managed to say, Actually, you know what? May I just check in with my body about this to see how I feel, whether it's doable? And then I'll get back to you with an answer? Because I'm not sure in this moment what would be best, I need some time to process. 

(or something along those lines)

So I hung up the phone and sat there in a daze. I felt completely disoriented and fatigued by the mere suggestion of a change of plans. I could not wrap my mind around it. It was like I'd lost my bearings in time and space and suddenly I wasn't even sure what day it was: Is it today or tomorrow? Is it yesterday? I started to feel upset. 

I texted my father that I'd prefer to stick with the plan and meet tomorrow as scheduled. 

My mind continued to spin for hours afterwards, thoroughly upended by this unexpected information from my father and our exchange. 

And the thing is -- nothing had actually happened. The whole thing was a non-event

A change of plans was proposed, and I declined, and so ultimately nothing was altered. We are set to meet tomorrow as originally intended.

And yet -- I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon feeling fundamentally destabilized. I felt uneasy, upset, wobbly, weepy, confused, dissociated; and there wasn't much I could do about it.

It was like my brain could not differentiate between the idea of a possibility of something -- a thought -- and the reality of it. For hours my system felt so activated that it seemed like I might as well have gone with the flow and changed plans, because my body seemed to interpret it that way anyway. My brain-body reaction was so strange, and entirely beyond my control.

And the kicker is, this is an example where I was able to say, Hang on, let me take a moment, okay I can't do that. Which has taken me years -- literally years -- of practice and learning the hard way through experience (I'm in protracted withdrawal, so I've got plenty of time to practice!).

Such a simple thing, and a relative success, and still my brain goes from zero to discombobulated in an instant -- and stays there.

My stress levels spiked, my thoughts and emotions started to spiral.

All day today I've been off-rhythm, thrown by a simple, innocuous phone conversation that lasted all of two minutes. WTF. Or, WD_TF.

All this to say, naturegirl, I get it. You did so much more and pushed so much harder and were hit with a significant stress response. 

That's WD for ya. Keeps us humble. Keeps it real. 

Please join me in remembering that this is temporary and it will pass. It gets better. 

Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously feel it!

Let's be kind to ourselves and take solace in knowing we are not alone. 

In solidarity and support,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

The family gathering is happening and i am struggling, bad. Body is vibrating, head is pounding, not forming thoughts well. I feel like a freak. I had to drink a beer to get my body to calm a little. It helped, a lot. Just one beer. So who knows what repurcussions that will have. I know this isn't my true self, withdrawal has jacked my system up, bad. I love my family and want to be here but my body and brain can't hardly handle it. I hope no one thinks i'm strange. I hate being this way. I wonder if this is benzo kindling from the week of gabapentin and 3 doses of lorazepam, or the prozac. I guess it doesnt matter. I'm in so much pain today, i really want it to stop.

Getting worse. Pounding heart, feeling agitated. Trying to accept i probably wont sleep tonight. I hate that i tried prescription drugs again. So, so angry at myself. How did i not learn from my past? I shouldn't have gone out of town. I wasnt ready. I need someone to talk to.

HI Naturegirl, sorry you are feeling the way you are right now. So assuming your signature is current that you've been off everything including melatonin. It's really sad that our health care system resorts to pushing pills to fix our problems since there's so much money in it and we end up getting a cocktail of who knows what which makes or bodys/minds go crazy!

I went through many of the things you are going through and I know how tough it was. The sleeplessness was one of the worst and weeks of random loss of appetite didn't help either. I didn't want to do anything or see anyone including activities I loved and close friends. Lots of brain fog where I just couldn't focus on anything and found little to no joy in life in general. Getting mad/irritated easy was common and I felt like I was getting sick almost every other week. 

However, our bodies ABSOLUTELY have the ability to heal themselves without a doubt! You're not strange! It's just the meds wreaking havok with your mind/body but it doesn't last

- First off, don't be angry at yourself whatever happened in the past is done and pondering on it will not help to the road to healing.

- Stop any alcohol consumption if at all possible since it's a natural depressant you don't want to add fuel to the fire. 

- Absolutely get as much natural sunlight as you can and use sunscreen very sparingly if at all (we absorb whatever we put on ourselves so minimizing chemicals is a good thing). Sunlight will help reset your circadian rhythm and get your normal sleep patterns back. 

- Mindfullness Meditation : This helped me tremendously, it would help curb negative thoughts and help put your body in a less tense state. When you are calm and relaxed your body will slowly heal. There are a lot of great videos on youtube on this.

- Force yourself to get some form of exercise whether walking, jogging, biking, whatever. This helps boosts your serotonin levels and will help regulate your mood and get you back to the person you were. Also helps with sleep.

- Music: Listening to upbeat/happy music really helped me a lot to put me in a motivated state. There were many days it pulled me out of some dark times.

- Stay very hydrated! Drink plenty of fluids to get rid of toxins in your body like those awful meds.

- Eat a cleaner diet, try to minimize processed foods especially sugary things. Get plenty of fruits and veggies. This is critical to heal some damage done by stress 

I owe this forum and it's members who help me get off of Paxil after being on it for over 15 years. Took me 5 years to wean off my final dose in 2018 and I've been drug free ever since. I know there are plenty other success stories in this forum so trust in yourself, you can do this, you're already off the meds that got your here and now you're halfway home! Godspeed.

Taken paxil for over 15 years probably closer to 20.

Tapering since Oct 2013 from 10mg Gemini 20 scale thanks to BrassMonkey!

Oct 6, 2013 9.2 mg Nov 27 8.6mg Feb 2 2014 7.8mg March 16 7.4mg March 30 7.0mg May 18 6.2mg July 6 5.8mg Sept 7 5.4 Oct 19 4.8 Dec 14 4.6 Feb 8th 2015 4.2mg Mar 22 3.8mg May 10 3.4mg July 19 3.2mg Sept 6 2.8mg Nov 8 2.5 mg Dec 27 2.3 Feb 14 2016 2.0 Mar 19 updosed to 2.5mg May 4 2.4 June 12 2.2mg July 31 2.0 Sept 11 1.7mg Nov 13 1.5mg Jan 22 2017 1.3mg Mar 19 1.0mg April 20 0.8 June 0.7 Aug 0.6 Sept 0.5 Oct 0.4 Nov 0.3 Dec too low to weigh so I'm eyeballing it the rest of the way!!  2018 Feb 10 finally stopped !!!!! Keeping fingers crossed!!!!!!

Its' 2022 now and feeling good after 4 years of being off Paxil. Continue to stay active with a positive attitude and getting plenty of sun.

Current Supplements: Multi-Vitamin, D with occasional K2, C, Super B Complex, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish OIl, Lecithin, E, and probiotics.

@GiantsWSC,

Thank u for writing. These nights of insomnia are so long and lonely. So much pain in my body. Yes, I am off everything including melatonin. Just taking a little magnesium here and there and chamomile tea. Are you completely healed now?

@naturegirl

You're welcome! Yes, I'm completely healed now and no longer on any prescription med whatsoever. The magnesium and tea will help as they have calming properties and the magnesium regulates the nervous system. Also Vitamin D is a critical part for your immune system so make sure you get some of that. I personally take a daily supplement of Vitamin D, Super B complex, Multi- vitamin, C, Magnesium, Zinc, Lecithin, and probiotics.

Don't get me wrong, we're still human and have emotions and there are times I get sad, depressed, anxious, and other emotions but they are all easily controlled by calming myself and to this day I still use mindfullness meditations. I can't stress how a great tool it has become to cope with everyday life.

Oct 6, 2013 9.2 mg Nov 27 8.6mg Feb 2 2014 7.8mg March 16 7.4mg March 30 7.0mg May 18 6.2mg July 6 5.8mg Sept 7 5.4 Oct 19 4.8 Dec 14 4.6 Feb 8th 2015 4.2mg Mar 22 3.8mg May 10 3.4mg July 19 3.2mg Sept 6 2.8mg Nov 8 2.5 mg Dec 27 2.3 Feb 14 2016 2.0 Mar 19 updosed to 2.5mg May 4 2.4 June 12 2.2mg July 31 2.0 Sept 11 1.7mg Nov 13 1.5mg Jan 22 2017 1.3mg Mar 19 1.0mg April 20 0.8 June 0.7 Aug 0.6 Sept 0.5 Oct 0.4 Nov 0.3 Dec too low to weigh so I'm eyeballing it the rest of the way!!  2018 Feb 10 finally stopped !!!!! Keeping fingers crossed!!!!!!

Its' 2022 now and feeling good after 4 years of being off Paxil. Continue to stay active with a positive attitude and getting plenty of sun.

Current Supplements: Multi-Vitamin, D with occasional K2, C, Super B Complex, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish OIl, Lecithin, E, and probiotics.

@GiantsWSC, will u please tell me more about mindfullness meditation? Is this just guided breathing exercises? Are there specific ones you like? I feel so disregulated right now. 3 days ago i was feeling good and wanted to make all sorts of plans, including this trip i'm on.

@naturegirlyes, they are breathing exercises that help divert attention to the present state. It dulls all the other thoughts whether negative or positive and brings focus on your current state. It helps you to stop focusing on what you can’t control which is the past and the future. I have a book I like called Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat Zinn that I used and was helpful.

As far as mindfulness videos, I don’t have a specific one I just listened to random ones since they all focused on the same thing, being present and controlling your breathing.

Please help, i don't know what to do. No sleep for 2 nights now. Whole body is trembling, legs are weak and feel as though they will collapse. This might be the worst i have felt since stopping prozac 8 weeks ago. I feel like going to the ER but i know it wont help. Trying to go thru the motions of a normal day but i feel so bad...

I think part of the issue was jumping off the initial medications to quickly. I learned the hard way as it sent me through pretty much what you're going through. If you look at my signature I tapered very slowly per the recommendation of a forum member, I believe his user name is BrassMonkey. That lessened the "waves" you're going through and makes them more bearable. I used a jewelers scale (Gemini -20) to weigh out doses on a weekly basis shaving the pills with a file more and more as the months went by. I believe that is the safest way to taper and get off the drugs as proven by forum members on here. I noticed your taper on prozac was pretty fast so that probably has a lot to do with what you are going through.

Since you're off the meds already I don't suggest going back on them and restart the whole weaning process again. I'm no doctor and I could be wrong and if any other forum member thinks otherwise please chime in. 

I remember going a whole week every so often not getting any sleep at all and feeling extremely weak and no appetite.  You can imagine I called in sick to work a lot. If you go to the ER, chances are they will put you right back on the meds that caused all the chaos. Just remember if you do go and you take any med they give you that you taper off very slowly. Again, look up BrassMonkey and he has a tutorial on how to do it. If I find it I will link it to you.

I stress Meditation in your situation, it's something you can do immediately. You can do it anytime in the day even when you're out and about. Don't give up, at some point your body will give in and you will sleep. Maybe not as much as you like but for me if I started getting 2,3,4 hours a night I felt I was on the right track. Another key is to stop thinking about whether you're going to get sleep or not or why can't you sleep or when you will get better. Those thoughts will compound issue, I know, I've been there. That's where Mindfullness meditation is beneficial. It helps dull those thoughts, allows you to accept them and move on, it's a wonderful tool I kid you not. 

Please be well, you'll get better, patience is key.

@naturegirl found BrassMonkey's tutorial on how to get off the meds in the event you go back on them

@giantswsc,

Starting prozac at any dose again is not an option. I had terrible side effects the entire 5 weeks i took it, which is why i had to quickly get off. It was never helpful in any way to me.

Last week was stressful and triggered insomnia. I have not slept in 3 nights now. It's brutal, I feel like a walking dead person. My body shakes and trembles all the time. Please someone tell me the insomnia will pass. It feels like I will die or go crazy from it. I can do 4 hours per night but not zero. Please, i cant do this!!

Hi Naturegirl,

Insomnia will go away, it may take some time, but it does end. I have been through 2 bouts over the past 5 years and they both ended. The best thing you can do is not worry yourself about it. If you can’t sleep, be calm and rest.  I know that’s hard, but getting upset makes it worse.

I’m sorry you are struggling with this, it’s tough.

Have you read these tips?

Hang in there, it does get better.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed white space at bottom of post

1998-2015 Zoloft. 100mg

2015 Straight switch to Wellbutrin by GP who claimed Zoloft stopped working; I was experiencing occasional brain zaps. 3 months later Wellbutrin  XR. Highly activating. Lost ability to sleep. Seroquel x3 nights. Horrible reaction. Straight switch back to Zoloft, began taper. Found SA  after tapering 25 mgs a week to 25mgs and began experiencing W/D.

6/21/19 5.05 mg; 9/6/19 4.8 mg; 4/24/20 4.57 mg; 8/27/21 4.43 mg

9/20-9/25/21 xover to new RX from expired meds

10/22/21 4.13 mg; 11/26/21 3.93 mg; 4/15/22 3.74 mg; 6/3/22 3.54 mg; 8/5/22 3.38; 9/30/22 3.19; 11/18/22 3.03; 12/30/22 2.88; 2/17/23 2.74; 3/24/23 2.60; 5/12/23 2.47;  6/23/23 2.35; 8/11/23 2.24; 9/15/23 2.13; 10/20/23 2.02; 11/24/23 1.92; 1/12/24 1.83; 2/17/24 1.72; 3/23/24 1.64

Supplements: Natural Calm magnesium, Vitamin C Vitamin D during winter.

My insomnia ended, thank goodness. I am wondering if anyone can tell my if any of this is part of withdrawal syndrome:

Feeling like i need to eat constantly. Not because of a hunger feeling (i never feel truly hungry), but will get weak, lightheaded, shaky, and have trouble thinking if i don't eat large amounts of food every 4 hrs. I eat healthy, well balanced foods only and avoid sugar so it shouldn't be my diet.  Also, sleep is happening so i really shouldnt complain, but my sleep is tense and somewhat tortured feeling, and if i wake in the night i'm always trembling or shaking, and i wake up exhausted even if the sleep quality and duration was satisfactory.  Thank you in advance for the help.

Out of the blue and have a wave of feeling like i'm exploding from the inside. It's a mixture of anxiety and rage i think, but over nothing. How i know if this is withdrawal, or the hormones of a 42 year old woman, or just how i am? I can't bear to think this is how i am. I feel like a monster, but am trying desperately to appear normal for my family. I dont know if this is the 5 weeks of prozac, the 8 days of gabapentin, the 3 doses of lorazepam, or the handful of other drugs i tried one time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Possibly related to your menstrual cycle?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Its not time for my menstrual cycle. And this same thing happened to me 7 days ago. I need to talk to someone. Like immediately. Please, someone pm me. Please!!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/29/2022 at 11:17 AM, naturegirl said:

I need to talk to someone. Like immediately. Please, someone pm me. Please!!

There is only so much we can do on an online forum.  We can give you advice about how to taper psychiatric drugs, and techniques for coping with WD symptoms.  It sounds like you may need to speak to someone face to face about your emotions and your desperation.  Please seek some online or face to face counseling help ASAP.  

Read this, it is very helpful: 

The only other thing we can suggest is non drug coping techniques.  It sounds like you may be experiencing neuro emotions, which are very compelling and upsetting.  

Neuro-Emotions

If this is related to withdrawal from psych meds, it will eventually improve.  

Please remember, recovery occurs in windows and waves.  

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You've been on the psych med merry go round twice, and each time it has ended badly.  If it were me, I would work very hard on figuring out non drug ways to cope with the problems and issues, and stay away from the psych meds in the future.  

Edited by getofflex

• 2 weeks later...

Hey how are you?

Effexor 6 years 2016-2022 (feb)

Crashed on prednisone (may)

Effexor mid June 37,5mg