Inner ear problems and drugs that can damage ears

Punarbhava

• Administrator

Some recover. We have no statistics, sorry. In the meantime, research coping skills and strategies to manage inner ear problems, including tinnitus.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi! I found some people here in SA who have recovered. They answered me and said that it will pass, it may take some time, but they believe that eventually it will pass. I'm also waiting for this symptom to pass!

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

Hi, i just wondered if anyone know if this can go away?

I think the drugs have given me central audio processing disorder and hearing distortions!

I am scared that this will be for ever!

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Hello Sofa! I have found some people who have cured themselves of this symptom. There is no exact period, but it passes.

See this link: 

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

In my topic there is an answer from them for this.

@Warrior

So the processing disorder and distortions can gi away?

I hate it, because all sound had bad quality and i cant pinpont where it comes from. Sometimes sounds are distant when its right in front of me. 

I dont get the stereo feeling of sound, like when you hear it all around you. 

And sometimes my mind cant comprehend anything and all just sounds like gibberish. 

My mind does not process the sound and i have to physically concentrate on it! And still its hard to understand, and the words sometimes just flows together. 

its like the ears are not commuicating, and i dont get a clear sound in my head 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Warrior 

The processing disorder is especially bad, as i cant understand or Feel music the same way as before. 

My brain does not register it the same way and music sounds weird and distorted in my head. It does not fill my whole head like it Did before! Its like my frontal lobe does not exist and i can only hear the music in the back of my head and not in the front

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Hello Sofa! I know exactly what you are going through as far as difficulty processing information (frontal lobe off/blocked) and difficulties with sound, in my case sensitive to them. I replied to you in another topic.
Look here: 

Hi! I just wanted to post something that might be useful. I was reviewing Dr. Glenmullen symptom list and in it are mentioned ear withdrawal symptoms. I know there are many drugs with ototoxicity, but I believe that if they are withdrawal symptoms, they should certainly stop over time. I currently have a loud tinnitus that came on after a 6 day window, and that same window was preceded by 15 days of hyperacusis.

I'm hoping for an improvement in the symptom and all the others.

glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a bunch of issues with my ears in withdrawal -- ear pain and ear fullness that comes and goes, as well as tinnitus.  I'm planning to see an ENT for the first time to get me ears checked out.  My question is: do I have to worry about anything the ENT will do that could worsen withdrawal?  Like if they clean out my ears will they use a chemical that will worsen my symptoms?  Or will they give me a steroid injection?  I'm not sure what to expect.  Any insight would be appreciated.

2009-2021: Fluoxetine (20-40 mg) on-and-off many times, would reinstate after 4-6 months off.

Aug 2021: Tapered off 20 mg fluoxetine over 6 weeks.

Dec 2021: Reinstated 10 mg fluoxetine for 12 days, then stopped for three weeks.

Jan-Feb 2022: Reinstated 10 mg fluoxetine again for 3.5 weeks, had severe side effects due to kindling, stopped and went into severe withdrawal.

March 2022: Tried a botched reinstatement of fluoxetine - 2.5 mg one day, 1.25 mg the next day, stopped 4 days(?), 0.5 mg for 3 days, then stopped due to burning sensations.

July 2022: Loud movie significantly worsens ear symptoms (tinnitus, hyperacusis, TMJD etc.)

Nov 2022: 1 mg of Lexapro for 3 days, stopped due to strong side effects.

• 1 month later...

@compsports

@Punarbhava

I, too feel that Mirtazapine (2003-Feb 2022), or perhaps developing tolerance to it, or even from tapering & weaning has effected monoaural hearing loss. 35% ywo years ago, almost total today.

Tinnitus, esp when experienced for months is almost never reversible. It’s not an ear problem, it’s a nerve/brain effect. I’m also not sure I believe this kind of hearing loss is reversible.

The warning signs were there. Tinnitus, likely associated with Alprazolam from Aug 2019 to the present. Hearing loss, likely associated with Mirtazapine. Fullness or blockage in ear not improved by wax removal.

Otolaryngologist failed to pick up this trail. Not sure what we could have done about it once the train left the station anyhow.

I also have considered the possibility of Meniere’s. @comsports, are you saying the first two tests were negative & the first positive.

I’m too old (72) & poor (GoFundMe!) to afford the expence of a $30-50k cochlear implant to be buried (or cremated) with the old meat. My 40-year old son has one (viral damage) but first-class insurance as principal scientist for organised crime (J&J).

Nor would it relieve the tinnitus.

Doc is not God spelled backwards!

Mirtazapine 30mg 2003-February 2022

Vortioxetine 10mg December 2021

Quetiapine 12.5mg - 25mg - 50mg - 75mg January-March 2022

Trazodone 50mg 2003-present

Alprazolam 1 mg August 2019-present

• 9 months later...
On 7/19/2011 at 3:41 AM, squirrel said:

Following on from Alto's post about how serotonin can affect the inner ear.I would like to share this info from a uk support site for people with Labyrinthitus.Some symptoms are remarkably similar to those many of us have.

A 'different kind' of dizziness...

As discussed, Inner ear dizziness is different to the “normal” dizziness most people have experienced at some point in their lives. With Uncompensated Labyrinthitis, there are generally a host of symptoms rather than a couple. Not only does the patient feel dizzy but the world looks very different to how it did. Ear symptoms are commonly noted as are others such as problems with memory and fatigue.

Labyrinthitis most commonly starts with an acute bout of spinning vertigo which is very frightening – and then slowly turns into a sense of imbalance and dizziness. This is not the only way Labyrinthitis can start though. Another way is for the patient to feel a somewhat insiduous feeling of dizziness which then escalates over about one week – the spinning attack is never experienced (although sometimes it is whilst the patient is asleep and therefore does not notice) but instead severe dizziness in the head as well as disequilibrium and a feeling that the world is hugely surreal.

Our Labyrinthitis started in different ways but we have the same symptoms. Below are the symptoms that both of us have/are experiencing as a result of Uncompensated Labyrinthitis. The symptoms are experienced 24/7, not in spells, from the moment we wake up, they are there CONSTANTLY. Isla however, has now reached a point where she feels ok for much of the time - due to compensation - but for a long time they were there all the time.

Dizziness...

• Spinning in head - like marbles. This sensation is like one of those "snow domes" being violently shaken! If very intense, this dizziness can lead to a feeling of extreme faintness.

• Imbalance.

• Feeling of being constantly drunk.

Inner ear dizziness can make you feel drunk all the time - but without the fun!

• World is “warped” and very surreal. As if looking through the world through odd lenses. This feeling is always there. Particularly prominent in the dark. We liken this feeling to constantly looking through a video camera lens or a fish tank. World feels like a dream also.

• “Stiff” out of focus eyes.

• Lightheaded, faint, woozy.

• Constant internal movement (feels like a pendulum) and external (can see things shifting slightly and the room often looks like it is a swing).

• Shifting of objects - can be subtle or severe - for example: when turning a corner or looking down, the environment or objects can significantly move.

• Feeling of being pushed forwards/backwards/side to side. If back is not against a chair when sitting, body “does not know where it is in space”.

• Bouncing when walking – “Marshmallow feet”. This can be quite severe.

• Motion intolerance. When disembarking from a car, train, plane, you feel as if you are still moving and the ground bounces. This can even happen after going on an escalator.

• Can often visibly see the ground “breathing” – moving slightly.

• Buzzing in the head – feels like vibrations or a short circuit.

• Every movement feels "off" and not clear at all - a bit like you are moving through "thick air".

• Movement of the floor - as well as "bouncing" - when standing still there is also a feeling that the floor is moving - like being in a lift.

• Increased night blindness.

• True spinning vertigo - during illness or sometimes during the night.

Patients with inner ear dizziness feel like they are on a ferry - but without the life jacket!

Things that worsen our dizziness...

• Head movements – particularly up – this is v uncomfortable.

• Colds/illness including headaches.

• Computers.

• The dark.

• Small rooms and crowds.

• Tiredness.

• Menstruation (for girls!).

• Focusing on people or sitting for periods of time.

• Walking.

• Shops.

• Supermarkets.

Ear Symptoms...

• Feeling of fluid in both ears.

• Tinnitus – worse when dizziness is bad. Can be quite a strong ‘buzzing’.

• Popping.

• Momentary deafness.

• Blocked feeling – “full” ears.

• Catarrh.

• Sensitivity to sounds.

Other Symptoms...

• Nausea.

• Low stamina.

• Fatigue. This is common with inner ear problems as the brain is putting all of its energy into keeping you balanced - where as in normal people balance is an automatic process.

• Low immunity.

• Cognitive symptoms such as: Memory/Thinking problems – due to mental processing overload; Clumsiness; Feeling spaced out/vacant; Brain fog – worse when dizziness bad. Is like having a head packed full of cotton wool and then trying to think through it! These symptoms can be quite disturbing at times.

• Vivid dreams, frequent waking.

• Depression and anxiety (due to having to deal with the disorder plus it is believed that the vestibular system controls our anxiety/depression levels so an increase in these in vestibular sufferers may also be due to this fact as well as having to cope with the disorder).

• Loss of self-reliance, self confidence, self esteem.

The vestibular system filters and fine tunes all sensory information entering the brain - light, sound, motion, gravitational energy, chemical information, air pressure, temperature. It is responsible for controlling and fine tuning our vision, hearing, balance, sense of motion, altitude and depth, sense of smell, sense of time, sense of direction and anxiety/depression levels as mentioned above. Therefore any of these processes may be affected when suffering from inner ear dysfunction.

I have all the same symptoms. I had a neuro vestibular assessment done and it's the same outcome. Uncompensated otolith dysfunction of the left inner ear (basically vestibular labyrinths in a sense). I hope you can give me some reassurance that this got better for you. It absolutely sucks! Been with it, coming up to 12 weeks now. It's gotten better, no doubt. Nothing like the first week. But it absolutely truly sucks. Did you do any vestibular rehabilitation exercises or did you get better with just moving about?

And was there anything that helped you?

Amit

Jan 1-15 2023 - Ativan 2mg

Jan 1-12 2023 - Trintellix 10mg

Jan 14-16 2023 - Escitalopram 5mg

Jan 15-Jan 20 2023 - Ativan 1mg

Jan 21-30 2023 - Ativan 0.5mg Slow taper down - 5 days 0.5mg once a day. Then 0.5 mg every other day for 3 doses.

Jan 17- Feb 04 2023 - Escitalopram 10mg

Feb 05-14 2023 - 5mg for 5 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days. Feb 15 - Zero Mg Escitalopram

Mar 11, 2023 - Propranolol 20mg

Hi Amit, I don’t post on here anymore but I felt obliged to come back to answer this question. I was finally diagnosed with this 3 years ago and I a currently doing virtual reality therapy to see if it will help, but I have had it many years now. I have learned to live with it. Hope this helps.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

26 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Hi Amit, I don’t post on here anymore but I felt obliged to come back to answer this question. I was finally diagnosed with this 3 years ago and I a currently doing virtual reality therapy to see if it will help, but I have had it many years now. I have learned to live with it. Hope this helps.

Oh dear! I’ve been looking for virtual reality therapy as well. Are there any online resources you can recommend?

Jan 21-30 2023 - Ativan 0.5mg Slow taper down - 5 days 0.5mg once a day. Then 0.5 mg every other day for 3 doses.

Feb 05-14 2023 - 5mg for 5 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days. Feb 15 - Zero Mg Escitalopram

Sorry no , mine is from a balance clinic in the uk I can give you the contact email and they may be able to help you 

amy@hypatiatraining.com

good luck.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 11:15 PM, squirrel said:

Sorry no , mine is from a balance clinic in the uk I can give you the contact email and they may be able to help you 

amy@hypatiatraining.com

good luck.

Hi Squirrel. Long timer here with the same symptoms. How is the virtual therapy going? Is it helping? 

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

2 hours ago, NoMeaning25 said:

Hi Squirrel. Long timer here with the same symptoms. How is the virtual therapy going? Is it helping? 

I'll let squirrel respond with his own experience. 

But I want to offer a few things. You're past the phase your brain will wake up its own serotonin receptors. Have you considered reinstating?

I ended up in the hospital recently with vertigo, balance issues and suicidal ideations after SSRI withdrawals. They thought it was my anxiety and wanted to put me on anxiety meds.

Then the neuro came to see me and put me on divalproex 250mg per day (this is a super small dose) used off label for vestibular migraine. Vestibular migraines are painless but are episodic (I know this is not your condition, and it's not mine either, my issues are chronic 24/7).

Anyways I went to a private neuro vestibular clinic where the audiologist performed vemp tests. There I found that my left inner ear had been effected by SSRI withdrawal and I have "Isolated otolythic dysfunction". Feelings of imbalance/tilt/moving in the same direction and a few more symptoms.

I was given vestibular rehab protocol for it. After 2 weeks I began noticing improvements. Very good! We found the problem and it's improving. All the exercises provoked my vertigo at first. 3 weeks later only 1/4th of exercises provoked my vertigo. Which means I was improving as per the therapist. During this time my mood good much better, my suicidal ideations went away and things started to look much better. My anxiety started to come down and overall I felt like the worst was behind me.

I then decided I can come off divalproex slowly, as now we knew it was not vestibular migraines, why take the medication. So I reduced it by 50% to 125mg. Felt great for 3 days, 4th day major setback!! Suicidal ideations returned, and vertigo got worse. Totally confused, I went back on divalproex 250mg immediately and felt better in about 6-8hrs. 

Divalproex turns out is used off label as an anti migraine, but is also a mood stabilizer. And had began working for me even in its lowest dose through it's mechanism as an antidepressant of sorts.

Next it also inhibits glutamate neurotransmitter excitation. Refer to the online article that was also posted in this thread about VNC vertigo after SSRI withdrawal (it talks about glutamate neuro transmitter excitation in VNC).

So while I didn't have migraines, it was working in other ways to solve my depression/anxiety and vertigo. 

I absolutely recommend finding a neuro audiologist near you for a full neuro vestibular workup and follow the vestibular rehab protocol. Next you have to do something about your other depressive and anxiety symptoms. They're all part of the same problem, over excitation of glutamate receptors. Your brain is full of them at this point, serotonin has no space to return to. You will require either a re-instatement of original medication or another medication that inhibits glutamate excitation in your brain, central nervous system and vestibular system.

Lookup:

Isolated Otolith Dysfunction

Otolith Dysfunction Mark Cuban

19 hours ago, AmitV said:

I'll let squirrel respond with his own experience. 

But I want to offer a few things. You're past the phase your brain will wake up its own serotonin receptors. Have you considered reinstating?

I ended up in the hospital recently with vertigo, balance issues and suicidal ideations after SSRI withdrawals. They thought it was my anxiety and wanted to put me on anxiety meds.

Then the neuro came to see me and put me on divalproex 250mg per day (this is a super small dose) used off label for vestibular migraine. Vestibular migraines are painless but are episodic (I know this is not your condition, and it's not mine either, my issues are chronic 24/7).

Anyways I went to a private neuro vestibular clinic where the audiologist performed vemp tests. There I found that my left inner ear had been effected by SSRI withdrawal and I have "Isolated otolythic dysfunction". Feelings of imbalance/tilt/moving in the same direction and a few more symptoms.

I was given vestibular rehab protocol for it. After 2 weeks I began noticing improvements. Very good! We found the problem and it's improving. All the exercises provoked my vertigo at first. 3 weeks later only 1/4th of exercises provoked my vertigo. Which means I was improving as per the therapist. During this time my mood good much better, my suicidal ideations went away and things started to look much better. My anxiety started to come down and overall I felt like the worst was behind me.

I then decided I can come off divalproex slowly, as now we knew it was not vestibular migraines, why take the medication. So I reduced it by 50% to 125mg. Felt great for 3 days, 4th day major setback!! Suicidal ideations returned, and vertigo got worse. Totally confused, I went back on divalproex 250mg immediately and felt better in about 6-8hrs. 

Divalproex turns out is used off label as an anti migraine, but is also a mood stabilizer. And had began working for me even in its lowest dose through it's mechanism as an antidepressant of sorts.

Next it also inhibits glutamate neurotransmitter excitation. Refer to the online article that was also posted in this thread about VNC vertigo after SSRI withdrawal (it talks about glutamate neuro transmitter excitation in VNC).

So while I didn't have migraines, it was working in other ways to solve my depression/anxiety and vertigo. 

I absolutely recommend finding a neuro audiologist near you for a full neuro vestibular workup and follow the vestibular rehab protocol. Next you have to do something about your other depressive and anxiety symptoms. They're all part of the same problem, over excitation of glutamate receptors. Your brain is full of them at this point, serotonin has no space to return to. You will require either a re-instatement of original medication or another medication that inhibits glutamate excitation in your brain, central nervous system and vestibular system.

Lookup:

Isolated Otolith Dysfunction

Otolith Dysfunction Mark Cuban

Ive been off all meds for 11 years. I will never reinstate, i would rather live like this.

Thanks for the info, ill definitely go look it up.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

4 minutes ago, NoMeaning25 said:

Ive been off all meds for 11 years. I will never reinstate, i would rather live like this.

Thanks for the info, ill definitely go look it up.

I totally respect your decision. In that case along with large doses of magnesium (upto 800mg glycinate) and a natural source of sodium channel blocker (research a few online) would be helpful in your case. Also L-Theanine a natural supplement found in green tea is know to inhibit glutamate excitation. While I don’t recommend green tea on its own but I do recommend L-Theanine supplements.

i highly recommend the above supplements, all found at grocery stores on online.

• 3 months later...

@AmitV are you still on the divalproex, have your symptoms improved? If I have been on Lexapro for 12 years and am still dizzy after partial  reinstatement am I past the point where my receptors will wake up on their own? I've been dizzy for 9months, and I am starting to have SI from despair this will never go away. I have had to leave my job, and am mostly house bound. 

2004-2010 Sertraline (15years old). 2010-2012 Poly-drugged with many AP's, SNRIs, PRN Benzo's. 

2012-2017 Lithium 1250mg, Lexapro 10mg. Titrated off Lithium over 2 years in 2016-17.

2018-2021 Lexapro 5mg. Valium PRN small doses. 2020 Recommenced low dose Lithium. Spironolactone. 

2022 - Lithium taper from 625mg to 62mg between May and December. 5mg Accutane May-December. 

2022 - Lexapro taper 7.5mg to 3mg over 10 weeks in September - November. 

2023 - Jan - 2 doses 5mg oral Compazine (immediate ADR). Three doses of 0.25 Klonipin - discontinued. 

2023 - Feb reinstated 6.5mg Lexapro and 325mg Lithium, 25mg Spironolactone then 37.5mg.

2023 - March - May: titrated to 4.5mg Lex at 5-10% and reduced to 250mg Lithium.

27th May: Increased Spiro to 100mg

Jun 23 - Reinstated 4.75mg Lex, 375mg Lithium. July 22 - Reduced Spiro to 50mg. 03 Aug - Commenced 25mg P-5-P

Current meds 4.75mg Lex, 375mg Lithium, 50mg Spironolactone. Zinc, Magnesium, Iron, P-5-P (B6).

9 hours ago, windchime said:

@AmitV are you still on the divalproex, have your symptoms improved? If I have been on Lexapro for 12 years and am still dizzy after partial  reinstatement am I past the point where my receptors will wake up on their own? I've been dizzy for 9months, and I am starting to have SI from despair this will never go away. I have had to leave my job, and am mostly house bound. 

@windchime I stopped divalproex after a few weeks, my balance was getting worse, so I tapered off with blessing from neurology. I was given divalproex to rule out vestibular migraines. 

I’m also mostly house bound and on disability. The important thing is to know where the dizziness is coming from. I had some testing done and determined that I’ve had some effect on my left inner ear from ssri and I also got visual snow syndrome from it. 

Unfortunately protracted withdrawls aren’t always the one year as suggested in literatures. You may possibly discuss with one of the mods and perhaps consider going back to original dose. Not sure if it’ll help. But it’s important to find out if there’s another cause. It’s important to see a neurologist at this point and rule out other causes. I know it started with going off SSRI, but that could’ve set off something else, like it did in my case.

Being dizzy is very debilitating, but explaining it to practitioners is even worse. So it’s important to spell it out appropriately. What does your dizziness actually feel like? Is it there all the time? When moving your head? When walking? Does it affect your vision? Are you stumbling as a result of it? Do you have depersonalization? Does it get worse with side to side head movement or bending over and up? Is it a lot of lightheadedness? Do you feel lightheaded when getting up from bed to sitting position? Do you have nausea with it?

Biggest question being, is there anything that helps with little improvements?

There’s a lot of ways these SSRIs can cause dizziness unfortunately when going off. 

I was on Venlafaxine for about 8 years and got more and more sick over time, not realizing it was the drugs. Started with migraines. Eventually I started having trouble with my vision, flashes, but also my hearing. I have had tinitus since I can remember, but I think it got worse over he last few years. Pulsating tinitus, a pressure feeling in my ears and throat. I got more dizzy, ears started to click and rattle. One day I wake up and my right ear is half deaf, loud tinitus. I freak out thinking I have had some sort of a stroke. At the doctor they says its a eustachian tube problem, something to do with pressure. I used some nasal spray and next day was better. The weird symptoms made me freak out and put me in a downward spiral so I upped my dose of Venla. Dizzyness only got worse. They test me at the hospital, ears and eyes are fine altough I have some hearing loss and loud ringing in ears. Never been to loud concerts or anything like that, but my hearing is worse than a friend of mine who used to visit loud concerts and destroyed his hearing because of it. Kinda unfair.

Doctor told me its just stress, its between the ears. I was the one to discover Venlafaxine is ototoxic, poison to the ears.

I started tapering and the pressure feeling, flashing vision, dizziness got better and even went away(except for the typical dizzy WDs in waves). Havent had the deaf ear thing happen anymore either. Sadly enough I am now instead dealing with nasty WD instead of sideeffects XP, but at least the stuff isnt destroying my ears anymore.

My tinittus and hearing loss are probably permanent, very frustrating.

2000-2008 citalopram dose unknown

2008 - 2020 Venlafaxine XR 75mg

2020-2021 Venlafaxine XR 112 mg(for about 3 months)

2021 februari tapering begins! 85mg march, 75mg april, 65mg may, 55mg june, 50mg august, 42mg october, 37.5mg december

2022 34mg may, 31mg june, 28mg juli, 25mg august, 20mg september, 18mg october, 14mg november,

2023 10mg feb, 5mg  march, 0mg 28 of march

I am experiencing ear problem since last few days. I feel pressure/fullness on both ears specially when I stand or walk. I hear some noise in my left ear when I open my mouth or chew some food. I hear double while others speak.

I am just over 7 months out. Has anyone experienced this? 

Clonazepam 0.5 mg (30 tablets, maximum twice a week)

Temazepam 10mg ( 40 to 45 tablets , upto 30 mg at once , sometimes together with Mirtazapine) 
2022 Mirtazapine 15mg for 2 weeks and stopped CT

Started Amitriptyline 20mg for 3 weeks and stopped CT

Again,Mirtazapine again 7.5mg for 3 weeks and stopped again CT.

7th Jan 2023 - last dose of 7.5mg Mirtazapine.

Currently on supplements:

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

9 minutes ago, Purae said:

I am experiencing ear problem since last few days. I feel pressure/fullness on both ears specially when I stand or walk. I hear some noise in my left ear when I open my mouth or chew some food. I hear double while others speak.

I am just over 7 months out. Has anyone experienced this? 

Look into TMJ dysfunction.

2 minutes ago, AmitV said:

Look into TMJ dysfunction.

I don’t have any pain though and I cannot find any topic for TMJ dysfunction. 
Is it WD related? I have never experienced this problem earlier, I had sore temples and bit of ear fullness earlier but this is totally different.

Do you recommend anything? 

Clonazepam 0.5 mg (30 tablets, maximum twice a week)

Temazepam 10mg ( 40 to 45 tablets , upto 30 mg at once , sometimes together with Mirtazapine) 
2022 Mirtazapine 15mg for 2 weeks and stopped CT

Started Amitriptyline 20mg for 3 weeks and stopped CT

Again,Mirtazapine again 7.5mg for 3 weeks and stopped again CT.

7th Jan 2023 - last dose of 7.5mg Mirtazapine.

Currently on supplements:

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

2 minutes ago, Purae said:

I don’t have any pain though and I cannot find any topic for TMJ dysfunction. 
Is it WD related? I have never experienced this problem earlier, I had sore temples and bit of ear fullness earlier but this is totally different.

Do you recommend anything? 

It’s not WD related, but can be caused indirectly due to anxiety and excessive jaw clenching. You’ll find more on TMJ on Google and reddit. 

You can see a dentist to rule out TMJ dysfunction that causes soreness at edge of jaw, ear fullness, tinnitus and hyperacusis.

You can also see an ENT to rule out other issues such as estachian tube dysfunction that can also cause these symptoms.  

Ménière’s disease can cause these symptoms too, but usually comes with episodic vertigo/dizziness/imbalance. But hearing distortion can be indicative of that as well. Excessive stress and anxiety can trigger Ménière’s disease. Again see an ENT to rule out with hearing testing and pressure testing.

• 1 month later...

Hello. Can people who had oscilopsia after disconnection of ssri or drug if they recover? the vision didn't follow ur head shaking? 

2015 20mg lexapro 

2016 20mg attempt get off one month taper(doctor advice) xtreme terror and anxiety 

2016 again  20mg attempt get off extreme ocd and social fear as withdraws

2018 reduce to 10mg ocd visual snow fatigue couldn't learn

2022 10mg get off again one month taper(doctor advice) had reactions on it and inflammation markers... xtreme protracted  withdraws symptoms 

1 hour ago, margaretLO said:

Hello. Can people who had oscilopsia after disconnection of ssri or drug if they recover? the vision didn't follow ur head shaking? 

Did you have hearing loss? And inflammation in the ears when you stopped SSRI? 

You will need vestibular rehabilitation.

1 minute ago, AmitV said:

Did you have hearing loss? And inflammation in the ears when you stopped SSRI? 

You will need vestibular rehabilitation.

Yes I have.. I think i had inflammation on Lexapro but after I get off I developed oscilopsia and hearing loss

2015 20mg lexapro 

2016 20mg attempt get off one month taper(doctor advice) xtreme terror and anxiety 

2022 10mg get off again one month taper(doctor advice) had reactions on it and inflammation markers... xtreme protracted  withdraws symptoms 

6 minutes ago, margaretLO said:

Yes I have.. I think i had inflammation on Lexapro but after I get off I developed oscilopsia and hearing loss

Rare adverse effect. Some people get labrynthitis from lexapro or going off it. Are you able to walk in the dark? Do you have balance problems?

1 hour ago, AmitV said:

Rare adverse effect. Some people get labrynthitis from lexapro or going off it. Are you able to walk in the dark? Do you have balance problems?

I have all possible adverse reaction from lexapro. I had xtreme balance issues but now it's way better I feel 80percent normal the balance 

2015 20mg lexapro 

40 minutes ago, margaretLO said:

I have all possible adverse reaction from lexapro. I had xtreme balance issues but now it's way better I feel 80percent normal the balance 

Just stay off the drugs, and do vestibular rehab on YouTube. 

if doing this makes you more dizzy, then you have a vestibular problem. But you have to keep doing it everyday to get better. 

do you still have oscillopsia?

4 minutes ago, AmitV said:

Just stay off the drugs, and do vestibular rehab on YouTube. 

if doing this makes you more dizzy, then you have a vestibular problem. But you have to keep doing it everyday to get better. 

do you still have oscillopsia?

Yes it got better for some months like the buildings and all didn't move horizontal when walk but still when shaking my head my vision wasntconnected to the movement. But unfortunately after 1 year and half came back even worst together with 3d perception issues that added to the list of my symptoms. Now when I walk everything is moving horizontal back and forth when walking, plus the mountains are moving..together with bright light sensitivity and colour distortion. When I moving my eyes the vision field is spinning. Everything is wrong in me :(Thanks for the video 

2015 20mg lexapro 

5 minutes ago, margaretLO said:

Yes it got better for some months like the buildings and all didn't move horizontal when walk but still when shaking my head my vision wasntconnected to the movement. But unfortunately after 1 year and half came back even worst together with 3d perception issues that added to the list of my symptoms. Now when I walk everything is moving horizontal back and forth when walking, plus the mountains are moving..together with bright light sensitivity and colour distortion. When I moving my eyes the vision field is spinning. Everything is wrong in me :(Thanks for the video 

talk to your doctor about this.

Lookup steady coach on YouTube.

3 minutes ago, AmitV said:

talk to your doctor about this.

Lookup steady coach on YouTube.

Thanks a lot! I went to many doctors and I did vision therapy and exercise alone for balance issues. Now my main issues are vision oscillopsia and xtreme congitive dementia imprairement so is difficult work on something else now, because even go out is difficult. Thanks I ll see the video

2015 20mg lexapro 

1 minute ago, margaretLO said:

Thanks a lot! I went to many doctors and I did vision therapy and exercise alone for balance issues. Now my main issues are vision oscillopsia and xtreme congitive dementia imprairement so is difficult work on something else now, because even go out is difficult. Thanks I ll see the video

cognitive impairment is part of pppd. Brain fog, memory issues, all part of it. It’s not exercises, it’s learning to relax your nervous system and symptoms go away. It’s not anxiety.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy