Inner ear problems and drugs that can damage ears

Punarbhava

• Administrator

Some recover. We have no statistics, sorry. In the meantime, research coping skills and strategies to manage inner ear problems, including tinnitus.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi! I found some people here in SA who have recovered. They answered me and said that it will pass, it may take some time, but they believe that eventually it will pass. I'm also waiting for this symptom to pass!

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

Hi, i just wondered if anyone know if this can go away?

I think the drugs have given me central audio processing disorder and hearing distortions!

I am scared that this will be for ever!

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Hello Sofa! I have found some people who have cured themselves of this symptom. There is no exact period, but it passes.

See this link: 

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

In my topic there is an answer from them for this.

@Warrior

So the processing disorder and distortions can gi away?

I hate it, because all sound had bad quality and i cant pinpont where it comes from. Sometimes sounds are distant when its right in front of me. 

I dont get the stereo feeling of sound, like when you hear it all around you. 

And sometimes my mind cant comprehend anything and all just sounds like gibberish. 

My mind does not process the sound and i have to physically concentrate on it! And still its hard to understand, and the words sometimes just flows together. 

its like the ears are not commuicating, and i dont get a clear sound in my head 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Warrior 

The processing disorder is especially bad, as i cant understand or Feel music the same way as before. 

My brain does not register it the same way and music sounds weird and distorted in my head. It does not fill my whole head like it Did before! Its like my frontal lobe does not exist and i can only hear the music in the back of my head and not in the front

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Hello Sofa! I know exactly what you are going through as far as difficulty processing information (frontal lobe off/blocked) and difficulties with sound, in my case sensitive to them. I replied to you in another topic.
Look here: 

Hi! I just wanted to post something that might be useful. I was reviewing Dr. Glenmullen symptom list and in it are mentioned ear withdrawal symptoms. I know there are many drugs with ototoxicity, but I believe that if they are withdrawal symptoms, they should certainly stop over time. I currently have a loud tinnitus that came on after a 6 day window, and that same window was preceded by 15 days of hyperacusis.

I'm hoping for an improvement in the symptom and all the others.

glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a bunch of issues with my ears in withdrawal -- ear pain and ear fullness that comes and goes, as well as tinnitus.  I'm planning to see an ENT for the first time to get me ears checked out.  My question is: do I have to worry about anything the ENT will do that could worsen withdrawal?  Like if they clean out my ears will they use a chemical that will worsen my symptoms?  Or will they give me a steroid injection?  I'm not sure what to expect.  Any insight would be appreciated.

2009-2021: Fluoxetine (20-40 mg) on-and-off many times, without major problems.

Aug 2021: Tapered off 20 mg fluoxetine over 6 weeks. No physical withdrawal symptoms immediately apparent.

Dec 2021: Decided to go back on fluoxetine -- 10 mg for 12 days, then stopped for three weeks. Had emotional breakdown.

Jan 2022: Decided to start up 10 mg fluoxetine again. Noticed much stronger and odder side effects. (Kindling? Adverse reaction?)

Feb 2022: Stopped 10 mg fluoxetine after 3.5-4 weeks due to neurogenic bladder(?)

Feb 2022: 25 day excruciating withdrawal

March 2022: In near delirium, tried a botched reinstatement of fluoxetine - 2.5 mg one day, 1.25 mg the next, stopped 4 days(?), 0.5 mg 3 days, stopped.

Currently taking nothing and praying for recovery.

• 1 month later...

@compsports

@Punarbhava

I, too feel that Mirtazapine (2003-Feb 2022), or perhaps developing tolerance to it, or even from tapering & weaning has effected monoaural hearing loss. 35% ywo years ago, almost total today.

Tinnitus, esp when experienced for months is almost never reversible. It’s not an ear problem, it’s a nerve/brain effect. I’m also not sure I believe this kind of hearing loss is reversible.

The warning signs were there. Tinnitus, likely associated with Alprazolam from Aug 2019 to the present. Hearing loss, likely associated with Mirtazapine. Fullness or blockage in ear not improved by wax removal.

Otolaryngologist failed to pick up this trail. Not sure what we could have done about it once the train left the station anyhow.

I also have considered the possibility of Meniere’s. @comsports, are you saying the first two tests were negative & the first positive.

I’m too old (72) & poor (GoFundMe!) to afford the expence of a $30-50k cochlear implant to be buried (or cremated) with the old meat. My 40-year old son has one (viral damage) but first-class insurance as principal scientist for organised crime (J&J).

Nor would it relieve the tinnitus.

Doc is not God spelled backwards!

Mirtazapine 30mg 2003-February 2022

Vortioxetine 10mg December 2021

Quetiapine 12.5mg - 25mg - 50mg - 75mg January-March 2022

Trazodone 50mg 2003-present

Alprazolam 1 mg August 2019-present

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy