SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Vindicated88 Howdy from Texas-Going through hell...

Vindicated88

Hi everyone,

My name is Brent. I'm 27 years old. I've been on some form of SSRI since I was about 20. Currently about a month and two weeks off Prozac, and I'm having derealization, panic attacks, and generally just feeling horrible. I also take Valium 15mg a day. I've been on some form of daily benzodiazepine use for about 2 and a half years. I actually found this site from a user at BenzoBuddies.org. I've contemplated going back on a low dose of Celexa to help stabilize me and get me off Valium, but I'm this far off, I don't know if it would be worth it. 

I hated the sexual side effects from SSRIs, the main reason why I wanted off. Being a 27 year old male, I feel I shouldn't have to deal with that problem at my age. Also the blunting of emotions. I hated it! I couldn't cry when something bad happened, and I couldn't ever really be happy. 

Over a month and a couple weeks off my last SSRI, Prozac, and I'm having panic attacks, increased anxiety, crying episodes, feeling like things aren't real, etc... I'm happy to be crying again, I actually really am. It makes me cry even more just being able to cry. My libido seems to be coming back strong as well.

I had to updose my Valium from 12.5mg to 15mg because of SSRI withdrawal. I don't know why it took a month to really hit me, maybe because Prozac has such a long half life. Anyways, I've been miserable. Very scared, hopeless, like things will never get better. My dr. prescribed me 5mg of Celexa to take if I wanted, but this far off, I think maybe I should just ride it out?

I want to get off Valium, that's a very big deal to me. But I don't know if reinstating Celexa would be good either, being I'm this far off. Is it normal for withdrawal to happen to late off Prozac?

I say Celexa because I tolerated that the best out of the SSRIs. Once again, I hate the sexual side effects, and not being able to show emotions. 

What would you guys recommend? I was so close to going back on Celexa, but now I'm thinking, I've made it this far, why not ride it out, stabilize, and then focus on Valium?

Are there any herbs or supplements that could aid in SSRI withdrawal? I actually took three days worth of Remeron about a week ago, but I was so drowsy I din't want to keep trying it. 

Being as it was supposed to have less sexual side effects, I thought I would give it a try, but couldn't tolerate it. 

What would you guys recommend? I'm going through some pretty hellish moments right now, but if riding it out is the best option, I'll do it. I have nothing to lose. 

Thanks everyone, and God Bless.

-Brent

Various SSRIs from 2007-present- Taken daily.

Various stimulants, mainly the amphetamine salt combo of Adderall from 2008-2012

Various benzodiazepines from Mid 2012-Present- Taken daily.

Withdrawal from Prozac 40mg in March 2015 too fast.

Hit with WD a month after quitting.

Reinstated on Celexa 5mg for 3 days in April 2015, bad reaction, reinstated back to Prozac 5mg, then up to 10mg after 1 week. 

Down to 12.5mg of Valium in March 2015, had to updose to 15mg in April 2015 because of Prozac WD

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Various medications for Asthma

It's very common for SSRI withdrawal to hit hard out of nowhere a few months after stopping the drug. After I stopped Prozac, I was fine for four months then got hit hard and was very sick in withdrawal for a long time afterward. But I recovered.  Lexapro got me at seven and ten months out. All SSRIs often have tardive (delayed) onset of severe withdrawal symptoms.

There are people who are hit six months, nine months, even a year out with delayed withdrawal. Plenty of stories on here and other forums to confirm that.

Magnesium glycinate and Fish Oil are the commonly recommended supplements. The most important thing we need to help us recover is patience and a lot of time. Stress and substances should also be avoided while your nervous system is healing from the changes caused by SSRI use.

A moderator will be along to discuss whether or not you want to reinstate on SSRIs to reduce the severity of your withdrawal. Sometimes going back on the drug helps, other times it does not help. Since you are only six weeks away from your last dose of SSRI, reinstatement at a low dose may be an option for you. Then you can stabilize on a low dose and taper very slowly from there. It's good to read about tapering at this link:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

It's also good to read about the windows and waves pattern of recovery:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Best of luck as you recover from the damaging effects of SSRI usage. 

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Administrator

Welcome, Vindicated88.

How did you go off Prozac? It is possible that as little as 1mg-5mg would reduce your withdrawal symptoms. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

and for titrating Prozac Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was on a max dose of 60mg, but only really took 40mg. I tapered to 40 for about 2 weeks, then 20 for another two 2 weeks, then jumped off. If I do reinstate, I'd rather not do Prozac, as it caused me too many side effects. I tolerated Celexa the best, and have been prescribed a dose of 5mg a day. At this point, I'm a little wary even going back on that for fear of sexual side effects. Also, seeing as how I've made it this far, maybe I should just keep the path?

Various stimulants, mainly the amphetamine salt combo of Adderall from 2008-2012

Reinstated on Celexa 5mg for 3 days in April 2015, bad reaction, reinstated back to Prozac 5mg, then up to 10mg after 1 week. 

Down to 12.5mg of Valium in March 2015, had to updose to 15mg in April 2015 because of Prozac WD

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• Administrator

If the withdrawal symptoms have not lessened in 6 weeks, from what we've seen, they can last a long time.

A very low dose of Prozac may not give you the adverse effects. Adverse effects are dosage-related.

There's no way to predict how Celexa might affect you. If you try it, I would try only 1mg to see what it does.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I plan on reinstating 5mg of Celexa tomorrow. I've thought this over through and through, and I simply cannot function right now. I'm trying to get off Valium as well, and I think I need to get off the benzo first, then the antidepressant. I tolerated Celexa better than any of the other SSRIs, and such a low dose, at to what I was used to, should help me stabilize, and hopefully minimize side effects. I've taken these drugs for 6 years, what's another 2? Altostrata, how would I go about trying only 1mg? Would I need a scale? I mean, 5mg is pretty low for me. I was taking 40mg of Celexa at my highest.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

If I suffer a little sexual side effects, who the hell cares? It's better than not being able to function. At least I will be able to get a better job and stabilize, and try to get off the Valium first. Then I can come back to getting off the SSRI. I now firmly believe this is the right decision for me.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

HI Brent

I got off Benzos first, then ADs. 

I will be frank and say that sex was the last thing on my mind when going through wds. There is time for that later. JMHO

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

Hey NewMe,

Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and reinstated the Celexa today at 5mg, and am feeling much better already. I will try and stabilize for a month or so, then focus on getting off the Valium. Once I get off that, I can then worry about the Celexa. I think your right, I shouldn't worry so much about sex right now, I have so much I need to get going in my life as it is. I'm not even in a relationship, and I've been so panicky lately, no girl would want to be with me right now haha. Thanks for your post, I appreciate it.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• Administrator

How to take small amounts of Celexa: Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Why do you want to go off the benzo first? Please see Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to take small amounts of Celexa: Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Why do you want to go off the benzo first? Please see Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

I need to be on something in order to get off the benzo. I honestly feel that. I feel it has done much worse things to my brain than the SSRI has. (Just my opinion, I in no way shape or form am trying to say that is the case for anyone else). Benzos are supposed to be taken for 2-4 weeks maximum. I've taken them daily for 2 and a half years. Thank you for the link on how to take small amounts of Celexa Altostrata, I appreciate it. 

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Alto, I read that link, and I appreciate you posting it, but in my case, I feel coming off the benzo first would be best for me. Once again, that's what I feel is best for me, I know everyone is different. 

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• Administrator

You might consider reducing the benzo part-way and then going off Celexa. By the way, being on Celexa is not going to make it easier to go off the benzo.

Please also see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Celexa caused some heart palpitations in me, so I've gone back on Prozac. I was on 5mg for a few days, and now on 10mg. I plan to stay at this dose. Prozac being the least selective of the SSRIs, and having the longest half life, I think will help me stabilize to get off Valium.

Everyone tells me something different. Some people say go off the benzo first, others say go off the antidepressant first. Well, I tried going off the antidepressant first, and I couldn't function. At all. I'm at a point in my life where I have to find a job and get out of the house. I just got a certification in February, A+, to get into the IT field. I don't have the time to stay at home and make it through withdrawals for a year.

I hate the sexual side effects and numbing of emotions that SSRIs cause, but I also hate the horrible memory loss and complete mind **** that benzos have caused. What am I to do? 

Alto, I've read the link you provided, and it made some good points. I've also read other links about why coming off the benzo first is the best choice, and it made some good points. It's like I'm f****ed either way.

Sorry, I'm a bit frustrated, and wish I never took any drugs given to me by the doctor. 

What would you recommend? I know you've given me advice, but considering that I'm trying to get my career started and get my life going (at the age of 27), I need to be able to function. I don't know what to do, and frankly, I'm scared out of my mind. Please don't take my anger or frustration as pointed towards you or anyone on this site. This is just helping me vent a little bit. You guys are great, and trying to help people, and I know your trying to help me. I'm grateful for you, I truly am.

Any and all advice is appreciated. God Bless.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Bump..

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• Administrator

You went off Prozac in a way that risked withdrawal syndrome, and you got withdrawal syndrome.

That is not a fair trial of going off the antidepressant first.

5mg Prozac might have been sufficient. It sounds like you take your drugs inconsistently. This can cause a lot of problems.

To reduce the noise in the signal, take your drugs consistently for at least a week, at the same time each day. Then re-assess how you feel.

Taking Prozac will not make it easier to reduce the benzo. Our recommendation to go off the antidepressant first still stands.

Please read further on the site about tapering and check your assumptions.

I will reassess. I'm sorry if I came off as angry or frustrated. I am. I will hold at this dose for a week, and reassess. I'm truly sorry. I'm just scared.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Vin, we're all here to help each other through the biggest battle of and for our lives. You'll be okay in time, regardless of how you came off the drugs.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

If you read my introduction topic, you can see that I had gone off of Prozac much too fast, thought everything was fine, until I was hit with withdrawal about a month after being off it. I have been on every single SSRI except Luvox in the span of around 7 years. 

I also have been on daily benzodiazepine medication for about 2 and a half years. As you can see, I'm in a predicament. I want off both drugs so badly, but I now know that I cannot simply get off the SSRIs as I had hoped: they have their own horrid withdrawal symptoms. 

I'm worried, because benzo withdrawal can kill you, while SSRI withdrawal, pretty horrible in its own right, can't. But, as Alto showed me on the site, there are reasons for doing an antidepressant taper before getting off benzos. My family doesn't see it like this, and I don't know if my doctors will see it like this, but I would like to give it another shot. 

I was taking 40mg of Prozac. I cut down to 20mg for a couple of weeks, and then a couple of weeks later completely stopped. Obviously, because of the long half life, I thought I was fine. A month later, it hit me, bad. 

So I tried to get back on Celexa, for some stupid reason, because my doctor thought I did best on that. After three days at 5mg, I felt worse. I then got back, and am still on, Prozac. I took 5mg for about 5 days, and I've been at a full 10mg for about another 5 days. 

I take 15mg of Valium a day. I want so badly to be off both, but I know I can't do them at the same time. If I was to "re-do" a Prozac taper properly, what would be a good way of going about it? I'm still trying to stabilize a bit at 10mg, but I'm feeling MUCH better than I was. 

Any and all advice on a taper off 10mg Prozac would be greatly appreciated. I have to be able to function, as I'm trying to get my actual career going at the age of 27, and get out of my father's house, who is an alcoholic. 

I can see the reasons for an antidepressant taper first, and I guess, as Alto said, I didn't give it a fair shot, because I did a horrible job tapering.

What would be a good taper schedule, how long should I stabilize before I attempt tapering, etc? 

Any and all help is appreciated. God Bless. 

-V

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

V88 you have been given this info and links in your intro. thread. Best to post qu there.

Be great if you can put up your drug sig.

I am so so sorry you are in this position. There is a way out of this but it will take time, you have come to the right place for help.

I dont know your situation, however you may need to delay/ put life expectations on hold for a little or perhaps lower them a bit at this time. imo

Wishing you strength.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Vindicated, I merged your post with your Intro topic, which is the place for those kinds of questions.

The answer is here Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You may wish to stay on 10mg until you feel good and stable, don't rush things. Give it a month or two, or even more.

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate the kind words and the support. NZ11, I think you may be right, I just have to work hard landing this job and getting out of this house. I've worked too hard. As far as getting off the drugs go, I think your right, that I need to be realistic, and not rush things, as Alto also said. I gotta take this slow, and slowly let my brain heal. Thanks guys, will keep my topic updated, and thank you Alto for the Prozac tapering link.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Well tomorrow I'm going to see my doctor. Any advice on what I should say to her? I have decided that I want to come off the SSRI first, and put the benzo taper second. I take a low dose benzo as it is (15mg Valium), and have only been on daily benzodiazepines for 2 and a half years, versus daily SSRI use for around 8 years. As you know, I reinstated on Prozac. I am on 10mg a day. I don't particularly feel well, but better than I did. 

Should I ask for an oral solution? Should I cut back down to 5mg? What do you guys think would be the best way about going off the Prozac, this time in a way that won't cause as harsh withdrawal symptoms? Thanks in advance.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Well, the Celexa caused some heart palpitations in me, so I've gone back on Prozac. I was on 5mg for a few days, and now on 10mg. I plan to stay at this dose. Prozac being the least selective of the SSRIs, and having the longest half life, I think will help me stabilize to get off Valium.

Everyone tells me something different. Some people say go off the benzo first, others say go off the antidepressant first. Well, I tried going off the antidepressant first, and I couldn't function. At all. I'm at a point in my life where I have to find a job and get out of the house. I just got a certification in February, A+, to get into the IT field. I don't have the time to stay at home and make it through withdrawals for a year.

I hate the sexual side effects and numbing of emotions that SSRIs cause, but I also hate the horrible memory loss and complete mind **** that benzos have caused. What am I to do? 

Alto, I've read the link you provided, and it made some good points. I've also read other links about why coming off the benzo first is the best choice, and it made some good points. It's like I'm f****ed either way.

Sorry, I'm a bit frustrated, and wish I never took any drugs given to me by the doctor. 

What would you recommend? I know you've given me advice, but considering that I'm trying to get my career started and get my life going (at the age of 27), I need to be able to function. I don't know what to do, and frankly, I'm scared out of my mind. Please don't take my anger or frustration as pointed towards you or anyone on this site. This is just helping me vent a little bit. You guys are great, and trying to help people, and I know your trying to help me. I'm grateful for you, I truly am.

Any and all advice is appreciated. God Bless.

" horrible memory loss and complete mind **** "

It is important for you to know that SSRI drugs can cause this too wd from SSRI drug can also cause it.  If you could recall when these most hated symptoms started a better guess could be made as to what caused them.  Putting up a history has a lot of benefits name of drug time on dose.  If you can't recall when it started that would not be too unusual as memory problems are common here on this ssri wd site. 

There are a lot of symptoms that over lap.  So clear history information as good as you can post would help you and others who are trying to help you sort out what may actually be going on. While a lot is known about benzos wd most people don't know much about ssri wd if you were to check this site for symptoms you will find there is a long list of potential wd symptoms from ssri drugs.  

I realize you started at a benzo group and that you know more about that particular drug than you do the ssri but since you have actually taken ssri drugs longer it may be worth your while to do some searching of this site for your symptoms you may be surprised. 

I wish you peace.

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Well, I'm just going to stay on 10mg of Prozac for another month. My doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested tapering it again. I guess I'll see how this next month goes, and try to stabilize.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Hi Brent

Hang in there. I am sorry you are having to go through this. 

There is light at the end of this tunnel but it takes some work to get there. I understand your frustration and as far as I am concerned, no need to apologize for being scared or unhappy - esp more than once. 

HUGS

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

Hi Brent

Hang in there. I am sorry you are having to go through this. 

There is light at the end of this tunnel but it takes some work to get there. I understand your frustration and as far as I am concerned, no need to apologize for being scared or unhappy - esp more than once. 

HUGS

Thanks NewMe, I really needed that today, your post brought me some hope :)

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Hey everyone,

So like I said, I've decided to come off the ssri first, and then Valium second. I am on 10mg of Prozac, having reinstated a few weeks ago.

How long would you recommend I stay at this dose until I go ahead with a taper? I'm guessing at this low of a dose, liquid Prozac would be the way to go?

I'm going to start seeing a therapist again, and my goal is to get off all of my medication. I know this will be a long, slow process, but I also know I can do it.

Any advice and input would be appreciated!

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So I've been at the 10mg dose of Prozac for a while now. I still don't feel good. I just got a new job that I really needed, but wonder if it would be wise to start my taper during this period?

I'm still very depressed, and have derealization, numbness, and just not much enjoyment from life.

I still think I want to go off the Prozac before the Valium. I see my doctor next week. Had to be put on two steroids for my asthma because my breathing has gotten so bad... Which sucks, because I'm a runner.

Anyways, how should I go about talking to my doctor, and what would be a good taper rate? I appreciate any and all advice, I need it... Thanks guys.

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

Bump , any advice is appreciated :/

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day

• Administrator

At what times of the day do you take your drugs, and what dosages?

I would hold on tapering until you settle in at your job.

Also, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Just wanted to say hello and I hope things improve for you soon. :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I feel you're pain it runs deep, read my thread it'll probably take you about a fortnight but if anything it might make you feel little better about your situation, not that I'm trying to belittle your suffering.

I hope things settle down for you soon.

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

The best advice I can give you is that when times get tough grit your teeth and keep on keeping on regardless.

Believe me I know how difficult that can be as do we all.

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

• Moderator Emeritus

So I've been at the 10mg dose of Prozac for a while now. I still don't feel good. I just got a new job that I really needed, but wonder if it would be wise to start my taper during this period?

No, I don't think so. If it were me I would give it several months until you have settled into your new job and feel stable. Maybe it will take longer than several months.

Here is our Prozac tapering topic, we recommend reducing by 10% about every 4 weeks.

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you wait to stabilize.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

At what times of the day do you take your drugs, and what dosages?

I would hold on tapering until you settle in at your job.

Also, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Hi Alto,

I take 10mg of Prozac every morning at 9:00AM. I take 7.5mg of Valium every morning at 10:00AM and every evening at 10:00PM.

I've recently had to get on medications for my asthma as well. Here is the list of all the drugs I take, and their interactions.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=109-0,1102-2522,189-84,1115-648,2959-15650,862-441,569-286

Thank you all who posted, I greatly appreciate your kind words and support. It means a lot to know I'm not in this alone. 

Currently taking:

10mg Prozac a day

15mg Valium a day