toomanymeds which one might be causing my nausea?

toomanymeds

Hi All,

Well woke up with nausea today at 4 am. Ugh!

I'm on 1800 mg of gabapentin 3x600, .325 Klonopin(.25 in am, .125 afternoon), in the evening I take cymbalta 30mg down from 60mg, remeron 30mg and lamictal 100 mg. Nausea and anxiety are my worst symptoms. C

• Administrator

Prior to moving the Cymbalta, when did you usually have nausea?

You may need to take Cymbalta at the same time each day for more than 4 days to see a clear pattern emerge.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Always starts when I wake up. Should I keep moving it back?

I'm on 1800 mg of gabapentin 3x600, .325 Klonopin(.25 in am, .125 afternoon), in the evening I take cymbalta 30mg down from 60mg, remeron 30mg and lamictal 100 mg. Nausea and anxiety are my worst symptoms. C

• Administrator

What time are you taking Cymbalta now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was going to take it now at 1:30 ish.

• Administrator

Okay, do that. Is it convenient for you to take it at 1:30ish for the next week?

Rather 2:30, did what you suggested and went from 8:30 pm to 6:30 then 4:30 yesterday and 2:30 today. Had a great day yesterday with no nausea. Now today nausea.

Yes I can take it at 2:30 for the next week if you think that would work.

• Administrator

Yes, why don't you try that? It takes at least 4 days for your nervous system to register a dosage pattern.

Lots of anxiety today and some nausea. Hopefully this change will work.

• Administrator

What time of the day did you have nausea? These patterns are important.

Nausea as I woke up and throughout the morning, anxiety pops through when nausea subsides. Took Cymbalta today at 2:30 again.

I can toss and turn all night but don't feel nauseous until about 4:30 ish every morning. I know that it is 4:30 because that's when the nausea wakes me up.

When the doctors gave me meds in January 2014 my major complaint was anxiety at 4:30 in the morning. Now oi have nausea and anxiety. Could it be interdose withdrawal of the Klonopin?

• Administrator

If the pattern hasn't changed since you moved the Cymbalta, it's probably not the Cymbalta.

Interdose benzo withdrawal is a possibility. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto knows better than me, but my first impression upon reading Tilly's kind post of interactions was:  it's not just this drug or that drug - it's the drugs together.

I "rescued" a friend from Chicago who was so polydrugged she couldn't hold a cup of coffee and drink from it (tardive dyskenisia).  Now, she is still on quite a few drugs, but not so much - and is running marathons.

So there is hope.  ALL of these drugs are AWESOME at destroying the gut flora, and the happy little cilia in the intestines (not a medical statement, just my lay understanding).  So Fresh said, slippery elm (it is not psychoactive) and greek yogurt is not a bad place to start.  If your gut is unhappy, then your pancreas and liver and stomach are likely unhappy too.  And your brain.  (most of your serotonin is in your gut!)

This may be a long process.  I'm glad you found SA.  I sent you a PM about your question to me.  Alto will have the best answers - I agree strongly with her "interdose benzo withdrawal anxiety," as a possibility.  

Have a look here - Don't taper ANYthing yet, let's get you stable first - but look here to start getting ideas about what should go first.  Sounds like Cymbalta is an evil one, and your other drugs will "cushion" that difficult taper somewhat.   Save the benzos - or at least the clonozepam (because it's longer acting) for last:  Polydrugs?  Taper off the Antidepressant First!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I feel worse today than ever. Severe nausea all day. I think moving the cymbalta to 2:30 has made me worse. I feel like I'm Gonna die

• Administrator

I doubt you can blame Cymbalta for this. Please go to http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/to discuss interdose benzo withdrawal.

What time of day do you take your other drugs?

• 2 months later...

Found a new doctor. She increased my Klonopin to .5 mg three times a day. Had previously been on 1mg 4 times a day, last summer. The nausea subsided for two days and is back again. Should I increase the K more. Or work on getting off cymbalta? Is it possible that one of the meds is causing the nausea and once I'm off it will subside.

I have never been able to stablize even with a slow withdrawal. Does stablize mean symptom free. The only time is during very short windows in the evening.

• Administrator

What did your new doctor say about the dangerous number of psychiatric drugs you're taking?

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png mirtazapine ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Remeron (mirtazapine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using mirtazapine together with DULoxetine can increase the riskicon1.png of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risksicon1.png, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-2-big.png clonazepam ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using clonazePAM together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png clonazepam ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using clonazePAM together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png clonazepam ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using clonazePAM together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png gabapentin ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Neurontin (gabapentin), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using gabapentin together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png gabapentin ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Neurontin (gabapentin), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using gabapentin together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png lamotrigine ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Lamictal (lamotrigine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using lamoTRIgine together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-1-big.png gabapentin ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: Neurontin (gabapentin), Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed. 

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

(((tmm)))

Gabapentin is notorious for nausea when it turns on you. I had it for a solid year, with doctors telling me it was the opiates. Nope, I got off the opiates and the nausea remained. Had my gallbladder removed, nausea still remained. CT'd the gabapentin a month later, no more nausea after three months of acute WD. Still no nausea after 10 months off gabapentin. Doesn't take a rocket scientist (or four doctors) to figure it out. Gabapentin nausea is famous while you're taking the drug. Insomnia is famous when you're in gabapentin WD.

Hope this helps.

Love, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

My suggestion, tmm, is to taper the gabapentin until you find the "sweet spot" where the nausea goes away. Then hold there and start tapering a different drug so you can still sleep. Gabapentin helps you sleep. Leave Gabapentin till the end of your tapering, so you won't have to deal with the insomnia. If you go slowly in your taper of the gabapentin, you may never experience the insomnia.

I used to get 5-6 hours of sleep during the first 7 months in acute WD. Then poof! insomnia hit me. No sleep for two months!

At 10 months out, my sleep is just now starting to come back. It's still broken sleep, but I'll take it.

Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how to go down on my gabapentin. I am taking 2 300mg caps 3 times a day.

• Moderator Emeritus

What did your new doctor say about the dangerous number of psychiatric drugs you're taking?

Here is our gabapentin topic:

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

My new doctor has been no help at all. Wants me to take 13 supplements while tapering off of cymbalta. I'm down to 43 beads. Still struggling with nausea and anxiety. Want to lower Neurotin because that may be causing the nausea.

• Administrator

That is a questionable number of supplements.

You may wish to hold on tapering Cymbalta and start carefully reducing gabapentin, to see if that helps.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi TMM

Sorry, I've got no idea re: whey protein.  I only looked up undenatured whey protein to find out what it is.  There is a discussion topic hereAlto's post

The best way to search SA is to Google "survivingantidepressants.org subject" so for this I Googled "survivingantidepressants.org whey protein".  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been nauseous throughout the whole time you were on lamictal? Not only while tapering?

• Moderator Emeritus

Please could you update your signature so we understand what you're currently taking at what doses , how your gabapentin taper is going etc.

Without dates there's no context. Instructions for filling out your signature are here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

See post 57 , it's hardly surprising you've felt nauseous on all these meds.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Nausea is a common side effect of lamotrigine when the dosage is too high for your system.

When did you go on it, how much are you taking, etc.? Please update your signature.

Also, please fill us in about your situation since last December.

• 2 months later...

TMM,

I have been nauseous for a year and a half. It feels like a severe hangover with headache and nausea. I blame it on Remeron withdrawal but I am always looking for any other culprits contributing to this relentless nausea. 

I have up dosed Remeron the past two weeks as I am switching to liquid very cautiously. I am no longer nauseous and I am sleeping well. Go figure. Any of these meds could cause nausea.

Hope you have a good day today.

L

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg