SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

"Female Hormones Can Make a Bloody Mess of Your Mental Health"

Addax

• Moderator Emeritus

I know my withdrawal symptoms seem to get worse or some appear that I thought were gone during the week before my period. I've read many others report a similar experience. I think this article does a good job of highlighting hormonal changes and emotions during PMS... Read this and then add withdrawal to the mix? Ugh!

http://www.vice.com/read/how-female-hormones-can-make-a-bloody-mess-of-your-mental-health?utm_source=vicefbus

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

I recently read the book Woman Code and was very impressed. I did a post on it as a result.

http://beyondmeds.com/2015/04/10/hormonal-issues-read-this/

Alisa Vitti manages to write one of the only nutritional guideline books I've ever felt really good about recommending...she is pragmatic and creative and largely not an ideologue and she uses science to very credibly put together a narrative that makes sense and is in keeping with my own experience. Food as medicine.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Cool.....GiaK has posted.......... and I will look at the book on nutritional guidance when more cognitive.   I Love Beyond Meds!!!!!!

I might as well throw this one out there........anybody have any thoughts on using bioidentical  hormones post menopause??  I feel pretty good about what I am using.....

I had menopause at age 44.......lower end of normal limit.  ? due to so many psych meds for so many years.  Didn't start the hormones until much later but........my unknown to me at the time...... perimen0pause  coincided with a whole slew of psych meds thrown at me..........not to mention my divorce(which in the end was a good thing but stressful,  22 years with only about half of that compatible)Lord knows that as depressed individuals we don't always make the best choices in mates.  Thankfully 8 years out from that major stressor and set back.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy