SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Vonnegutjunky: Paxil 10 mg for 8 years - partial wean with reinstatement

Vonnegutjunky

I got my masters in marriage and family therapy but I have worked on several research studies and worked on grant proposals for overseas studies in Botswana for multicultural therapy and studies

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

I got my masters in marriage and family therapy but I have worked on several research studies and worked on grant proposals for overseas studies in Botswana for multicultural therapy and studies

That sounds really quite interesting.   Did you ever get a chance to go to Botswana? 

No I never did unfortunately -

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

Blank.pdf

No I never did unfortunately -

You will eventually if that's something that you'd like to do.  Traveling during WD or adverse reactions is not impossible- I've done quite a bit of it myself.  It's not very fun or rewarding, however.

How are you feeling these days?

I am about 50-75% more stable that I was just a week ago- so I am starting to stabilize - I still have ear ringing, visual noise and sometimes just feel strange - but I am increasingly becoming before clear cognitively - I say that with trepidation, everytime I think I'm on the mend I end up back in that deep cognitive fog and lack of clear thinking ???? - my worry has greatly reduced and I am relaxing more - I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to learn how to crush pills - I know that I have access to compounding pharmacies here and liquid but I have heard horror stories of people switching from pills to liquid and having adverse reactions

Blank.pdf

• Administrator

If you take part of your dose in tablet form and part in liquid, it will help your system get used to the liquid form. It really is more convenient and precise than crushing and weighing tablets.

While you are taking 20mg, you don't have to consider a liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ok thanks alto - I will begin my taper in September so I will ask her for that when I see her again- man I am nervous but I don't have a choice -

Blank.pdf

I have never had any trouble switching from the tablets to the liquid personally and have done so a few times. I am hoping my Dr. will give me the 10 mg tablets to taper with the liquid when I start again soon simply because the liquid is expensive here even with my insurance. 

Glad you are starting to feel better! Been thinking about you!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Mentor

Well done, for planning ahead............. planning a taper in September...........  slow and steady.  I did it all wrong.... so much better with information from this site.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Thanks jlynn :) I am starting to feel better - I think preplanning is needed especially after what I just went through- even if I have to cut 1 mg every 6 mos and it takes me 5 years to get off I don't care - I will go as slow as needed - and live my life in the meantime :)

Blank.pdf

So I am thinking about my first taper - I am going to a compounding pharmacy (at least that is my plan - I will see if they take my insurance) anyway 10% taper would mean to ask for 18mg tablets - I think I will do that for 4 months - my fear is protracted wd - mine seemed to hit about 7 mos out last time - i don't know if I should start a taper sooner or later - just thinking out loud here

Blank.pdf

So I am thinking about my first taper - I am going to a compounding pharmacy (at least that is my plan - I will see if they take my insurance) anyway 10% taper would mean to ask for 18mg tablets - I think I will do that for 4 months - my fear is protracted wd - mine seemed to hit about 7 mos out last time - i don't know if I should start a taper sooner or later - just thinking out loud here

Sounds like a good course of action.  Will certainly make your life much easier if you have a pharmacist do this for you.  I wish I was a pharmacist, I'd totally open up a pharmacy dedicated to helping people taper off these poisons. 

So glad you are feeling better

You might want to have a close look at Mapleleafgirl taper in the success stories

Start slow is the way to go so you may want to consider a 5% rate to start with. ML actually started off at 2.5 % and averaged a taper rate of  6%  over 4 yrs. No pressure the decision is yours.

Another writing the book on tapering is Brassmonkey ..you could have a look at his taper too.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks nz - I am using mapleleafgirl as my inspiration for getting off - I know I can take larger drops in the beginning - I have always been able to go from 20 to 10 without any problems - and from 10-7 I'm always fine too- it's just anything below that hits me hard -

Blank.pdf

• Administrator

That would be one way of trying out a 10% taper, VJ. Another would be to get 10mg tablets and take 8mg in the liquid form. This gives you greater freedom in adjusting your dosage.

Your doctor probably will have to write the prescription for the liquid as "divided doses" for insurance coverage of both the tablet and liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi VJ--  reading your signature it looks like you "have become unstuck in time"  (just a typo Nov 2024).  It looks like the problems you had last time you went below 7mg was probably due to the alternating days, that is a real formula  for trouble.  I think if you stick to the 10% taper with daily dosing you will have a lot less trouble this try.  I am a big fan of Mapleleafgirl and another one to look at is Chia, she is having great success with her super slow taper.  One variation of the 10% method is the "Brassmonkey Slide Method"  I devised it because I was really afraid of the possible WD symptoms I faced tapering from 40mg.  I tapered 2.5% a week for four weeks, making a total of 10% and then helded for another two weeks to let things settle out before doing it all again.  I won't say it has been symptom free but I have been able to hold down my job as a Research Engineer the whole time, so they have been manageable.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Sorry decided i would back out of this thread

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

No nz please don't- I. Am glad you put my in my place - your right - I dot have that thinking it won't happen to me - and then bam it does - thank you for putting me incheck - I am hear for support and wisdom- I don't want to eff this up again

Blank.pdf

I had the worst day today- it was bizarre and stressful- I have wanted to adopt a small dog for about 3 mos now- thinking the distraction may help me with wd - well I told someone on a free dog ad in my area that I was interested in their lab that they were giving away- I had a lab in the past he was mid sized and I love their gentle temperaments - so when I got to the park to see the dog it was huge!!!! It looked like a miniature horse - and for some reason I took the dog! It wa alike I was behaving in a movie - just not thinking about things clearly - as soon as I got home I realized I had made a huge mistake - I contacted the person I got him from and returned him- I feel so stupid! So out of character - like it's almost as if I'm trying to find anything to feel better so I am behaving erratically - I felt good yesterday like. 90% myself - today I feel like crap- I know this is continued wd symptoms - I also know I am stabilizing - just not as fast as I want- I also think I have depression now because of all of this - :( I really feel like I will never be myself again- like I am somehow forever changed - I think I have brain damage -

Blank.pdf

Hi Vj,

What I can tell you is that while on Paxil and especially since tapering I did several things like that and in most cases I was questioning my sanity afterwards :-)

The point is that we all want to live a pretty normal life and by doing extraordinary things (like taking a giant dog) it sometimes feels as the whole wd thing wouldn't exist. Only afterwards it becomes clear that it might have been a little bit too extraordinary.

Besides, there are probably hundreds of people without wd problems who have done the same so you should take it with a smile.

Maybe you find a smaller one in a shelter?

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Thank you papa bear :) I appreciate that - I think I'm going to redecorate my dining room in the mean time :)

Blank.pdf

• Administrator

VJ, your comments are striking for their unrelentingly harsh self-criticism. Strongly recommend you learn to forgive yourself for making mistakes.

Thank you alto - I will talk to my therapist about this -

Blank.pdf

• Administrator

To get through this, you're going to have to learn to self-soothe and take care of yourself rather than yelling at yourself.

Maybe someone could give some insight to my pattern of symptoms- I don't think I am still in wd - I do think the experience of wd caused treatment resistant depression of the diurnal variation- I have never had depression before but here are my symptoms -

*I wake up around 2-3pm after staying up until 3-4am

*I am still tired when I get up -

* I feel so funky when I wake -

* I feel anxious about everything and my ears ring so loud- my thought process is foggy-

*I ruminate a lot and I just don't feel right - like I am wired and tried at the same time -

*my mouth feels like I burnt it on hot food (except I didn't)

*contant visual snow and after images

*zig zag patterns in my peripheral (maybe once a week)

*constant tinnitus

*deja vue about 5-7 times per week

*I have problems thinking about future plans and comprehending time (days weeks hours)

* Around 7-9 pm a switch goes on and I feel better -

a some nights better than others - but I feel like me - not happy but much less foggy and less anxious - sometimes the ear ringing goes away in the evening- however the visual snow stays 24/7 and the zig zag patterns happen in the evening

I no longer have head wooshes - muscle twitches - facial twitches or blurry vision or stomach cramps

I have always had migraine auras - to the point that I have lost consciousness for seconds - but I have not had this problem much lately

It's hard to tell what's wd and what's depression- I know wd comes in waves but my moods are varying and a bit erratic during the day but in the evening I'm much more level- any insights would be helpful - thank you

Blank.pdf

Maybe someone could give some insight to my pattern of symptoms- I don't think I am still in wd - I do think the experience of wd caused treatment resistant depression of the diurnal variation- I have never had depression before but here are my symptoms -

*I wake up around 2-3pm after staying up until 3-4am

*I am still tired when I get up -

* I feel so funky when I wake -

* I feel anxious about everything and my ears ring so loud- my thought process is foggy-

*I ruminate a lot and I just don't feel right - like I am wired and tried at the same time -

*my mouth feels like I burnt it on hot food (except I didn't)

*contant visual snow and after images

*zig zag patterns in my peripheral (maybe once a week)

*constant tinnitus

*deja vue about 5-7 times per week

*I have problems thinking about future plans and comprehending time (days weeks hours)

* Around 7-9 pm a switch goes on and I feel better -

a some nights better than others - but I feel like me - not happy but much less foggy and less anxious - sometimes the ear ringing goes away in the evening- however the visual snow stays 24/7 and the zig zag patterns happen in the evening

I no longer have head wooshes - muscle twitches - facial twitches or blurry vision or stomach cramps

I have always had migraine auras - to the point that I have lost consciousness for seconds - but I have not had this problem much lately

It's hard to tell what's wd and what's depression- I know wd comes in waves but my moods are varying and a bit erratic during the day but in the evening I'm much more level- any insights would be helpful - thank you

Many of those symptoms are not depression - at least no depression that I could fathom.  I've been severely depressed before, and didn't have many of those symptoms.   

After an all-too-fast taper off duloxetine, and an adverse reaction to prozac, I did have many of those symptoms, however.

Have things gotten significantly better since you reinstated after being around 5mg (if you ignore the urge for suicide you had mentioned for the purpose of this discussion)?  Or have many of the symptoms just persisted, with new symptoms forming?

The symptoms may not be WD, but considering that you are still taking 20mg of Paxil they are certainly drug related. One of the infamous side effects of ADs is depression.  Getting off of these drugs is a long slow process that defies analysis.  Trying to micromanage and second guess symptoms is a great way to make oneself crazy, there are just too many of they and they are too intertwined.  Keeping track of them and watching for improvements can be helpful, but trying to find patterns is pretty useless, as once one is identified it will change.  There is a technique used for handing panic and anxiety that is quite useful for WD in general AAF (Acknowledge, Accept, Float).  Acknowledge that the problem is there, explore it and get to know it.  Accept that it is real and that there is very little you can do about it.  Let the symptoms Float away as you get on with your life.  It takes practice, but really helps.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Unless you work at night, if I were you, I'd normalize your sleep pattern. The way you're doing it can throw off all kinds of diurnal hormonal cycles, plus add to "depression" or anomie. Also, get regular exercise out in the natural light. Sunlight resets your diurnal rhythm.

See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some of your other symptoms still sound like autonomic instability from withdrawal reactions.

What time of day do you take Paxil?

Thanks everyone for your insight- I take it at 11:30pm - which used to be my bedtime - my symptoms have not gotten worse - and I do not have new symptoms popping up- my symptoms have been the same since i started on 20mg except for what has left - I no longer have suicidal waves come over me - I when I was at 5 mg I didn't know I was in wd or maybe I would have stayed there - maybe not - I went to 10 because wd progressively got worse or I am getting that treatment resistant depression I have heard about people getting from ads - I am functioning now - I have gotten to a point where I no longer get overwhelming feelings of sadness and hopelessness - I have for the past couple of days been feeling not so lost about my whole situation - my ear ringing and visual snow may be because of the Paxil- I have had both of these issues in the past when my anxiety ramps up- stress seems to bring these 2 thingson for me- I am so sensitive - I am a person who experiences placebo effects and I feel them strong- also when I am eating food if I look at other people cooking different food, the food I am eating will start to taste like the food I am watching others eat - it's not a bad thing it's just an example of how suggestible my mind is - it just frustrates me if I don't know if it's the medication or continued wd or just severe depression from the trauma I feel from the events of this past year- probably a combination of all 3 -

I do need to get up during the day but I feel so awful so if I don't have to, I'd rather stay in bed-

I agree - I need to fix my sleep schedule :(

I like the floating idea - accept and float and don't let it define my day or my mood - I will practice this and see how I do :)

Thank you everyone ❤️

Blank.pdf

• Administrator

Please put paragraph breaks in your posts. Blocks of dense text are difficult to read online.

Please do what you can to normalize your sleep pattern.

It sounds to me like reinstatement is working. Hang in there, it can take some time for symptoms to fade -- you will have waves and windows.

Update

I have a few good days- feel comfort in the evening

Then during the day I get very upset - anxious- waves of sadness, despair- it's almost like a calm panic - like a panic attack but it's mental? Hard to explain-

I want to see if the omega 3 has a positive effect on my visual and tinnitus so I decided to take it tonight at 6 pm instead of 11- if I feel positive effects I will increase to take it 2-3 times throughout the day-

I will keep posting -

I am thinking of adding a b vitamin complex - any thoughts or suggestions?

I also have been reading about Paxil being an Anticholinergenic and discontinuation my be a result of Cholinergic rebound - if this is the case shouldn't an antihistamine help?

Also I have read about gaba-

Any suggestions for diet or supplements to help reduce these ? I know gaba supplemts don't cross the blood brain Barrier?

I would like to experiment with some diet or supplemts for these - thanks :)

Blank.pdf

Hi VJ--  it's good to hear that you've had a few good days.  As I remember back when I was around 20mg my emotions and such were all over the place most of the time and like you more so during the day and calmer in the evening. Things have improved tremendously since then.

I started on fish oil about a month and a half ago and it seems to be helping.  Primarily in the brain fog/cognitive dept., I haven't noticed any real changes in the tinnitus or visual problems though.  It did take a while to kick in, about a week before I noticed any marked changes.

I would be very careful with the B vitamins, especially B-12.  Many people have trouble with B-12 tripping of anxiety and panic and there are similar reports for B-3.

Also remember the scientific method, only change one parameter at a time, and thing in geologic time frames when trying things.

Thanks brass - I appreciate the advice - I am also on fish oil but not sure if I'm taking enough - I'm going slow right now -

I read about wd theories and Cholinergic rebound-

Any diet ideas on how to reduce acetylcholine? I think this might help me with all of the anxiety and panic -

Also I read that not enough GABA can be an issue too?

Would just like to either start multivitamins to support the regulation of these transmitters or start a strict diet to support a reduction in acetylcholine and an increase in GABA? I will continue on with the fish oil as it does not seem to cause me any negative reactions - I don't know that it's helping but I know at not hurting

Thanks!

Blank.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi VJ,

Its good you are having some better days. By slowing your taper and holding, when you get an increase in symptoms, its possible to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and remain functional.

As brass has mentioned, be careful with the B vitamins, some of them can be too activating for a NS sensitized by withdrawal. As with all changes, implement them one at a time and in small doses to see how they are going to effect you.

If you take a multi-ingredient supplement, and it has a bad effect, you wont know which ingredient you are reacting to.

Here is a good place to start for information about what helps most in withdrawal:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

and  The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi VJ-- I'm not the one to ask about diet. Personally I'm on the "Seefood" diet, I see food and I eat it.  I do pay attention to portion size, but other than that I try to balance things by the week not daily.

Panic and anxiety are two major problems during WD for a lot of people.  The big problem is that there are two types of each; normal everyday anxiety and panic/panic attacks and then there is drug induced "neuroanxiety" and "neuropanic".  For the first "normal" type there are a load of coping strategies and diet plans to help minimize them.  Unfortunately for the later "neuro" varietys, because they are drug induced and not true emotions, there isn't a whole lot that can be done to stop them.  The same coping strategies can be used but they have limited success.  This is where the AAF from my earlier post comes into play.  The "neuro" variety, although extremely uncomfortable, will not actually harm you.  The best thing really is to just "give in" to it, explore how it feel physically and emotionally, get to understand it to a point.  Then accept that it is there and will go away when it is good and ready, and then get on with your life as best as you can.  It's like having a bad house guest that you wish would leave but won't take the hints, and you can't throw out, but eventually they will leave of their own accord.

Update - not had a wave of icky desperate/ hopeless/horror/sadness in almost 3 days- did have a small wave of tearfulness on Friday but it was quick and it did not ruin my day- I started on magnesium citrate today - supposed to take 2 tablets a day but I started with 1 - I am very very lethargic all the time but especially sleepy during the day- but I sleep at night too- I sleep a lot- it's not broken and I dream a lot - so I know I am getting restful sleep- I still get anxiety during the day but yes I also am r ally tried on top of that?! It's strange but at least I can sleep - better than insomnia- so I continue to show improvement after my reinstatement although it's been over 3 mos! Better late than never - don't know when I'm going to taper again, maybe in the spring- will not rush anything even though I want off the meds -

Blank.pdf