Vonnegutjunky: Paxil 10 mg for 8 years - partial wean with reinstatement

Vonnegutjunky

• Administrator

Vonnegutjunky, I believe we've discussed this before.

I do not think you will be able to address your symptoms by reasoning "dopamine does this, therefore I need dopamine." That thinking is based on the "chemical imbalance" theory, which assigns specific functions to specific neurotransmitters.

The "chemical imbalance" theory has been thoroughly debunked, as we've talked about many times before. The neurotransmitters do not have specific functions. Serotonin is not the happiness hormone. Dopamine is not the pleasure hormone. All the neurotransmitters have multiple roles in body chemistry.

We do not recommend pursuing any kind of remedy because it supposedly increases a neurotransmitter.

You do not have a symptom because your dopamine has decreased and serotonin increased. Please read our many topics in this forum about depersonalization, derealization, and emotional anesthesia.

In fact, it's very possible you are experiencing these symptoms because they are side effects of the Paxil you're taking.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

So I have been having heavy duty dp/dr and every other symptoms of extremely low dopamine- I assume it's decreased in response to the increase in my serotonin- so this has been making me feel absolutely horrible

Just wondering what I can do to bring those levels back up naturally?...

:)  Your post reminds me of myself a few years back. I had mistakenly come to the conclusion that my problem was not enough dopamine and was looking for ways to increase it.

After learning there is a high level of dopamine in banana peel, I started adding that to my smoothies :wacko:  It wasn't very pleasant and didn't make the slightest difference to the way I felt, so quickly gave up on it.

Unfortunately, I then concluded that the banana peel wasn't providing enough dopamine, so I experimented with nicotine - gum and patches, that worked, in as much as I got a temporary mood and energy boost, so I figured I must be on the right track :blush:

So after more research, I decided that if low dopamine had been my problem all along, I needed a diagnosis to reflect that and the appropriate medications to fix it.... that's how I ended up being diagnosed with ADHD and adding stimulants to my history of drug damage.

Having my dopamine levels, and goodness knows what else skyrocket for 90 minutes at a time, after I took one of my new pills, felt great at first. But I was already in withdrawal from 13 years of SSRIs, stopped too fast, and this further constant disruption to my nervous system soon started to cause new and worsening symptoms.

But until I knew better, I believed that it was all about fixing my dysfunctional brain chemistry... with drugs and if I could just get it right, then I would be 'normal', my life would get better and I would be happy. In reality, what happened was the more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

If I were you, I would look at Paxil as being the source of your current symptoms as others have suggested and grab a copy of Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker if you haven't already.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

First I must reiterate I will not take a medication -

I have however found article that state long term use of ssris can wreak havoc on your dopaminergic system

Every symptom I have is related to low dopamine levels- not just dp/dr (which I had way before I ever took a med )

Down to the burning mouth symptom that started after I doubled my dose of Paxil - which is a high symptom rate among Parkinson's paitents, due to low dopamine -

I agree what I am feeling is because I doubled my dose of Paxil

It flooded my brain with too much serotonin and my dopamine system shut down in response

Each decrease on the Paxil makes me feel much better, however I would like to eat a healthy diet to help boost dopamine if that's possible, at least to manage what I am feeling until I taper more - I would love to cut the dose I am on in half but I know that's not the answer- and since I am on a long haul slow decrease I would just like to at least attempt some natural things that may help in the interm

I sleep for 16-20 hours per day

I have blurry vision

Visual snow

Ear ringing

Burning mouth

Feelings of dp/dr

Foggy memory recall

Lack of concentration

Some obsessive compulsive behaviors

Feeling like my head is full of cotton

Luckily my arthritis pain had vanished immensely

No brain zaps

No anxiety

No panic

No insomnia

No stomach aches

So I know some of my symptoms are dopamine related as there is extensive studies don't on the dopaminergic system due to Parkinson's paitents and schizophrenia (which my mother had)

And I am convinced it's damage done by the Paxil

Also I found out that people with Parkinson's will also experience brain zaps - it's common for them I guess - not sure it'll it's related to the medication or not -

I will try sipping some green teas- and coffee- are both supposed to help the prefrontal cortex in relation to dopamine

Also I know the only way to really get better is to get off the Paxil - which I am doing- and no I will not consider medication to fix this -

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

• Administrator

What I'm trying to communicate to you is that the goal of boosting dopamine through diet does not really make any sense. There is no rationale there. Your reasoning that you are deficient in dopamine doesn't make any sense. Dopamine does not do what you think it does.

Parkinson's is a dire disease that is an extreme when it comes to neurological dysfunction. You do not have Parkinson's, or anything close.

If you want to follow a superstition about increasing dopamine through diet, you'll have to find information about it elsewhere.

Good to hear that reduction of Paxil is helping. What you might do is get a thorough exam, find out if you're low in any minerals, B vitamins, etc., and eat to restore those nutrients. Adding green veggies always seems to be a good idea.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2612120/

Your right - I don't have Parkinson's- I never thought I did

but I do have a lot of symptoms that are known to be related to a decrease in dopamine, and these symptoms are known because of the studies done on patients with Parkinson's and schizophrenia; both of these conditions have symptoms consistent with a dysfunctional dopaminergic system

And my mother suffered from schizophrenia-

No I don't have that or Parkinson's but the link above is to just one of the many papers I found that states an inverse relationship between serotonin and dopamine

Also there are studies done one low dopamine and dp/dr and brain zaps (these studies were done on schizophrenic and Parkinson's populations, due to the medications they use that affect the dopaminergic system

When I started reading, I was about in tears because I was reading all of the symptoms that I could not explain -

If a diet won't help then that's fine- I know my receptors will bounce back as I continue to taper; but I do believe this may have been done to more people, leading the the prescription of Wellbutrin to go along with the Paxil; this is how they get you on med cocktails - and if your dopaminergic system is dysfunctional due to long term ssri use, and docs "try a new med!" And it's another ssri and it doesn't work, then you look treatment resistant, so they start with antipsychotics- I just think there is more to this dopamine issue and I will tell you I know for a fact this is what happened to me-

I have been struggling to try and figure out why at 10mg of Paxil I felt better than at 20mg when initially 8 years ago on 29mg I felt great-

It doesn't work a second time because it's not always down regulation of serotonin, I think for some of us l, like

Me who has atypical symptoms ( I don't have anxiety or insomnia or any of the other typical wd, I never did)I think it's causing an issue with dopamine due to the inverse relationship between the two

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

Blank.pdf

Exercise

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

you say you have a lack of dopamine, where? everywhere????

how have you mesured your amount of dopamine? how many miligramme you need?

this is to show you it is absurd to go in this direction

what is really known is paxil when making an artificial deluge on nerves, you have with time nerves necrosis, the neurotransmitters are less and less numerous

so your symptomes and mine are a lack of nerves in brain and everywhere, maybe 5% or more, i do not know, and this gives you your symptomes, so you have small damage everywhere not only in dopamine system, paxil do not know what is dopa system, he burns in random

paxil is given because when you are anxious or depressed or pain...it disconnects you from reality, how, making bad connections, today i function bad because i have bad connections after burned 13 years my neurotransmitters of serotonine, and many other adrenal systems etc

when you will finish taper, you will see what is bad , today you cannot know enough because you continue the artificial deluge on your nerves

in your case i would make all my efforts to taper, the first step

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Administrator

VJ, I'm not going to go into the many reasons why research in Parkinson's and schizophrenia does not apply to you. Let us say that the same forces that cause distortion in psychiatry research, such as an over-reliance on "chemical imbalance" explanations, affects them (probably less in Parkinson's, which is truly in the province of neurology).

You do not seem to be aware, or do not believe, how thoroughly the knowledge base in psychiatry has been corrupted.

If you have found research attempting to explain brain zaps, please let us know about it.

Brain zaps occur when discontinuing many drugs, not just drugs for Parkinson's or schizophrenia.

So I have been having heavy duty dp/dr and every other symptoms of extremely low dopamine- I assume it's decreased in response to the increase in my serotonin- so this has been making me feel absolutely horrible

Just wondering what I can do to bring those levels back up naturally?...

:)  Your post reminds me of myself a few years back. I had mistakenly come to the conclusion that my problem was not enough dopamine and was looking for ways to increase it.

After learning there is a high level of dopamine in banana peel, I started adding that to my smoothies :wacko:  It wasn't very pleasant and didn't make the slightest difference to the way I felt, so quickly gave up on it.

Unfortunately, I then concluded that the banana peel wasn't providing enough dopamine, so I experimented with nicotine - gum and patches, that worked, in as much as I got a temporary mood and energy boost, so I figured I must be on the right track :blush:

So after more research, I decided that if low dopamine had been my problem all along, I needed a diagnosis to reflect that and the appropriate medications to fix it.... that's how I ended up being diagnosed with ADHD and adding stimulants to my history of drug damage.

Having my dopamine levels, and goodness knows what else skyrocket for 90 minutes at a time, after I took one of my new pills, felt great at first. But I was already in withdrawal from 13 years of SSRIs, stopped too fast, and this further constant disruption to my nervous system soon started to cause new and worsening symptoms.

But until I knew better, I believed that it was all about fixing my dysfunctional brain chemistry... with drugs and if I could just get it right, then I would be 'normal', my life would get better and I would be happy. In reality, what happened was the more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

If I were you, I would look at Paxil as being the source of your current symptoms as others have suggested and grab a copy of Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker if you haven't already.

I really enjoyed reading this, Petunia.  :) 

I think some of the side effectso of long term SSRI use in some people could certainly mimic those of other disorders that involve dopaminergic dysfunction. The problem is that,

1-just because dopamine *may* be affected, that does not translate automatically into "increase dopamine and you'll be ok." It may be the balance of dopamine in relation to other chemicals in the brain, rather than the absolute amount of dopamine circulating around. Or it may be any other number of mechanisms involving the dopaminergic system that have nothing to do with the amount of dopamine circulating in the brain;

2-The neurotransmitter systems and the brain in general are highly complex. No one understands them enough. What we know is mostly theorethical. So when researchers say dopamine is involved in Parkinson's or other conditions, there might be evidence pointing in that direction, but -for the most part-it's all still theorethical because we don't know enough about how the brain functions as a whole to reach any definite conclusions.

I have severe apathy that is dose related to prozac, and I have theorized that dopaminergic dysregulation or executive dysfunction may be involved. There's no way to know for sure and I have not found anything that works so far.

If tapering is helping, then the best least intrusive safest thing you can do is taper slowly and in the meantime give your body the time and space to heal. I know it is hard to wait. I'm losing many things in life because of this wait. But sometimes it's the best or only thing we can do and that's good enough...

Best of luck,

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

• Administrator

Very good points, Newbeginning.

Update:

A few months ago my insurance changed and I was randomly assigned a new doctor a general practitione- I was very upset about this-

I went to see him today about some other issues I am having, but I brought up my Paxil issues with him

I was shocked by his response to my story

He said "yes it sounds like withdrawal, I will help you anyway I can, I am willing to learn" "I agree you need to come off these meds and see how you feel"

He liked the fact that I did not want to be medicated-

I told him I was going. To see a psychiatrist in January, he said this is no good, he said he is giving me a referral to a psychotherapist, and I must send all of my records to him;

I have to say I was In shock, I feel so hopeful!!!! He said to take at least a year to taper from 16mg - I told him it will be longer and he said that was fine

He went to medical school in india (it's where he is from)

Anyway just posting good news

And I'm in a window; so that ls good news too:)

Blank.pdf

Also his name is dr.sohail in Fort Wayne Indiana, his practice is called the Fort Wayne medical clinic on north Anthony;

I would t doubt for a second that the sa community would approve him :)

Blank.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

That is good to hear, VJ.

Nice to have someone you can work with and who will help you through the process.

Hope this is the start of good things for you.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Administrator

Great news, VJ. After a bit, if you feel you can recommend this doctor for tapering, please add his contact info to our list http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

Great to hear that VJ, I'm glad you found such a nice doctor, and also envious :) I hope he can help you taper and support you. 

How are you doing overall?

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Thanks everyone-

I feel better and better with each taper

My updose was more horrific than anything I ever experienced while tapering so I am glad that I feel like myself more and more during each of my windows

My doctor truly listened to me so I feel happy about that, I have someone on my side -

Today I am still in my window -

I am grateful,

☀️????????????❤️????

Blank.pdf

So here is what I have took away from this thread -

Dopamine and serotonin affect mood, but they do not solely affect it in the simplistic way we are taught

And trying to alter dopamine with diet or supplements will have no affect on mood, considering the complex interplay between all brain mechanisms

- I do know that my symptoms are related to dopamine, after reading about clinical trials on patients with Parkinson's and schizophrenia, and their side affects related to dopamine reuptake medications, and antipsychotics that decrease dopamine, that's how I came to that conclusion-

there is an inverse relationship between serotonin and dopamine and long term use of ssris will deplete dopamine; I have that article, I think it's on Twitter brains tho-

Paxil caused dysfunction in my dopaminergic system after my increase, this created feelings so strange and bizarre that I considered suicide, I actually cried and would pray every night that God would give me cancer so I could hurry up and die; these feelings were nothing like withdrawal; they were a thousand times worse for me;

my doctor agrees with all of this and stated if I continue the Paxil this issue will never be resolved; he stated a psychiatrist will only issue me Wellbutrin that will further create more dysfunction-

He also said it was irresponsible of my old doctor to leave me on Paxil for 8 years

As far as brain zaps and Parkinson's, I read that in relation to a medication trial, a side effect, I cannot seem to find it now-

Either way, I think some of us do suffer differently, I am still doing things known to boost dopamine, like getting sleep, completing small goals everyday, listing to music and exercise- even if these don't stop my symptoms I know that they are good for me anyway

Blank.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vonnegutjunky,

I found this on SA the other day and found it helpful.  So much so I printed it off so I can carry it in may bag if I happen to speak to someone who is interested for themselves or someone they know.  It's written in an easy to understand way and it helped me to understand what is happening/has happened in my brain and body.

Brain Remodeling

Best wishes,

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Good to hear! :-)

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

Dopamine and serotonin affect mood, but they do not solely affect it in the simplistic way we are taught

And trying to alter dopamine with diet or supplements will have no affect on mood, considering the complex interplay between all brain mechanisms

- I do know that my symptoms are related to dopamine, after reading about clinical trials on patients with Parkinson's and schizophrenia, and their side affects related to dopamine reuptake medications, and antipsychotics that decrease dopamine, that's how I came to that conclusion-

there is an inverse relationship between serotonin and dopamine and long term use of ssris will deplete dopamine; I have that article, I think it's on Twitter brains tho-

Paxil caused dysfunction in my dopaminergic system after my increase, this created feelings so strange and bizarre that I considered suicide, I actually cried and would pray every night that God would give me cancer so I could hurry up and die; these feelings were nothing like withdrawal; they were a thousand times worse for me;

my doctor agrees with all of this and stated if I continue the Paxil this issue will never be resolved; he stated a psychiatrist will only issue me Wellbutrin that will further create more dysfunction-

He also said it was irresponsible of my old doctor to leave me on Paxil for 8 years

As far as brain zaps and Parkinson's, I read that in relation to a medication trial, a side effect, I cannot seem to find it now-

Either way, I think some of us do suffer differently, I am still doing things known to boost dopamine, like getting sleep, completing small goals everyday, listing to music and exercise- even if these don't stop my symptoms I know that they are good for me anyway

I would agree with your first assertion.

About this: "And trying to alter dopamine with diet or supplements will have no affect on mood, considering the complex interplay between all brain mechanisms", I'm not so sure. Diet and supplements may or may not improve your mood, depending on the specific issues you're having with your mood, the cause of your mood issues and your own disposition. Whether diet/supplements improve your mood or not might not depend on their effect on neurotransmitters though. Not sure it matters in practice though. Eating well and certain supplements can improve brain function and hence your mood. However, some supplements may also aggravate withdrawal in some people. It very much depends on your symptoms. It seems to me those people who experience more "agitating" symptoms during withdrawal (anxiety, insomnia, a constant arousal state) can also be very sensitive to any non-calming supplements, and particularly to activating/stimulating ones.

"- I do know that my symptoms are related to dopamine, after reading about clinical trials on patients with Parkinson's and schizophrenia, and their side affects related to dopamine reuptake medications, and antipsychotics that decrease dopamine, that's how I came to that conclusion-"

So people with symptoms similar to yours improved when they took dopamine reuptake inhibitors? Is this what you mean? That can mean their smptoms were related to dopamine, but not necessarily. If I use meth right now (not that I ever would try that crap!), my mood may improve, but that doesn't mean something in my brain is lacking one of the components in meth. Neither does it mean that one of the components in meth explains my symptoms.

In clinical practice, doctors will sometimes use meds that are effective even if they don't know how or why they work. They theorize how they work based on the known mechanisms of action of the drug--but they don't know for sure.

"there is an inverse relationship between serotonin and dopamine and long term use of ssris will deplete dopamine; I have that article, I think it's on Twitter brains tho-"

I've read a lot, and as far as I know, this is just theorethical. Again, based on the symptoms people get when they have been on SSRIs for a while and/or on their response to dopamine meds. Technically, it makes sense that if you alter the natural homeostasis of the brain by increasing one chemical, the other components of brain chemistry balance will react to that change over time. It's just the way chemistry works: you alter one atom and it changes what the whole molecule is and does. However, I don't know of any studies that have actually measured these changes and "proved" with hard evidence that increasing serotonin down regulates dopamine. I'm not claiming they don't exist. Just haven't seen them and if anyone has, please share!

"Paxil caused dysfunction in my dopaminergic system after my increase, this created feelings so strange and bizarre that I considered suicide, I actually cried and would pray every night that God would give me cancer so I could hurry up and die; these feelings were nothing like withdrawal; they were a thousand times worse for me;"

What exactly did you feel? You describe it as derealization, but that can be a lot opf things.

"my doctor agrees with all of this and stated if I continue the Paxil this issue will never be resolved; he stated a psychiatrist will only issue me Wellbutrin that will further create more dysfunction-"

Psychiatrists can make a lot of stupid decisiopns, but they don't normally prescribe Wellbutrin (a stimulant) when someone is agitated like it sounds that you are. Obviously if these issues are Paxil-related, the last thing you want to do is increase the dose. Unfortunately, even smart psychiatrists will do exactly that if they are convinced your symptoms are due to depression. If you have seen an improvement when decreasing the dose, then that's what you should keep doing.

Incidentally, depersonalization seems like a symptom that could be due to too much activation. I actually had it when I tried wellbutrin years ago. It was too activating for me. I got muscle twitches too. If I was to theorize those problems were due to dopamine, then those issues would be due to too much dopamine. So perhaps you don't need any more dopamine circulating around...

"He also said it was irresponsible of my old doctor to leave me on Paxil for 8 years"

I never agreed with long term use of SSRIs. Even when they helped me, I never agreed to long term use. Nothing in the research literature justifies long term use. The evidence that it prevents future episodes of depression is ridiculous. They literally stop the SSRI without tapering and when people relapse, they argue that's evidence in favor of long term use. Seriously?? When their own prescription literature suggests tapering slow!?

"Either way, I think some of us do suffer differently, I am still doing things known to boost dopamine, like getting sleep, completing small goals everyday, listing to music and exercise- even if these don't stop my symptoms I know that they are good for me anyway"

Indeed. I wish any of those things helped me. Either I can't do them, or when I can, they don't improve my apathy :(

Hope you feel better really soon!

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

Thanks new for your reply-

I have not had withdrawal symptoms since April - those all went away and were replaced when I doubled my dose -

I'm not really agitated- never had anxiety, actually just slept a whole lot, feel numb and have dp, I know this because I have had dp/dr my whole life, but this time to dp was different-

A lot of my issues I have had before I ever took Paxil

But with the Paxil increase they were intensified and became this strange and odd sensation- unexplainable

The side effects of the drugs used to treat people witch schizophrenia were similar to mine, and those with Parkinson's, symptoms they had before the dopaminergic drugs were also similar to mine - the burning mouth syndrome etc.

There are clinical trials done to show an inverse relationship between serotonin and dopamine, yes there are flaws and some of the studies were done on rat brains -

Docs prescribe Wellbutrin all the time to people on ssris - even if they are agitated, because low dopamine can cause this lethargic agitation, where your body feels heavy and tired but your mind races almost like an ocd- that's how I was feeling

I actually feel like my old self tonight - I made another cut about 5 days ago, I'm down to 16.5 now and I feel better than I have since April - I plan to stay here as long as I am in this window; I won't cut again for 4 months if I am stable; but coming off is fairing to be much much better for me - I was petrified but now I can't wait to get off the meds - I am using mapleleafgirls taper schedule, but I am excited to feel as good as I do; it's nice to know my brain still works

I am very grateful for this site and all of the things I have learned on here-

I will stand by my stance that Paxil caused a dysfunction in my dopamine system, and that the only way for me to heal is by getting off the meds; it's going to take a long time but I have plenty of that; and luckily I have a doctor who is more than supportive.

Blank.pdf

Sounds reasonable, but why would you stop tapering for 4 motnths?

Only because I have not had a prolonged period of stability for a year now and it would be a welcome- also then I can better gauge wd symptoms vs Paxil symptoms-

Hopefully with doing mapleleafgirls taper I won't have many wd symptoms

Also I am going through menopause right now m, and cannot tell what is menopause vs everything else- it's all very frustrating

Blank.pdf

So happy you are feeling better!!!  :D

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

So I'm in another hole - I blame those stupid antibiotics - they have always given me anxiety -

Anyway I'm still at 16.5mg of my Paxil - I know this med caused a really negative reaction after I doubled my dose - so I really want to taper quickly - my last reduction was October 30 -

Anyone else have experience coming off the meds while they were feeling bad due to the meds?

I just wonder if maybe I could do another cut on the 30th of this month?

I don't want to go too fast but I feel better and better each time I reduce -

Blank.pdf

I felt bad the whole time I was tappering. I made my cuts each 3-4 weeks nevertheless and I started really to feel better once I was drug free. This is because the chemical depression made by the meds went away. It was ca 3-4 weeks after I went off completely of meds.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I am posting with an update -

I am in a great window right now- it started yesterday; I am in good spirits and have very very minimal symptoms - just some small anxiety is all

I feel so happy that I have hope :)

I have to remember this when the wave hits but my windows are much more substantial in the sense that I feel more and more normal with each window

They are not getting longer but they are definitely getting better :)

Xo

Blank.pdf

Good to hear.. I was just going to ask you how you were doing.. Are you still just down by 2 mgs?

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

No I am down 4mg now :)

Blank.pdf

Oh, that's good. Just go super slow and hold for a good while. :-)

So I started taking a new multivitamin with b complex on Friday night- I don't know if this is the result of my window on Saturday? Anyway the normal dose is 2 per day, I have only been taking 1 - well I have not eaten anything today (Sunday) and took my vitamin, about 40min after I took it, I started getting goosebumps everywhere and this excited happy feeling like you get right before your going on a rollercoaster; this made me very anxious and worried; I also had to use the bathroom because of it;

I was reading b vitamins can do this and read the niacin can also create these feelings -

I have to say I feel much much better these last few days, however am I getting too much b vitamins because of this reaction? Can I cut my vitamin In half? They are chewable gummies -

Blank.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi VJ,

Its good to hear you are feeling better. I replied to your question in our Vitamin B complex topic here:

Vitamin B complex supplement reaction

Your question is towards the end of the last page, but it would probably be helpful to read through the whole thread.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever become psychotic during withdrawal? I am so fearful of this during my waves -

Blank.pdf

I had an amazing window last week- my windows are getting better and my waves are getting worse?! Is this normal?? I mean I really feel 100 percent and then when a wave some I feel like I cannot function at all :( just want some reassurance that this is normal - makes no sense that my windows get better and better but my waves make me feel more and more like I'm losing it!

Blank.pdf

I never did, even after CTing a (admittedly small) dose of olanzapine, an antipsychotic. 

If it hasn't happened before, it seems like it will not happen. Have you ever had a psychotic symptom?

-Started on Citalopram 20mg & Zopiclone 7.5mg in August 2010 after stressful life events induced anxiety attacks

-Given olanzapine 2.5mg due to not sleeping through the night with zopiclone (I have never had any symptoms of psychosis)

-Went up to 40mg Citalopram sometime in 2011 after disastrous flirtation with Wellbutrin

-Tapered off zopiclone by January 2013 (take as PRN sometimes)

-Jan 10/2016: Back up to full dose of citalopram after attempted taper from late November 2015

-Jan 2018: Cut to 1.8mg of olanzapine from 1.825

-Mid-August 2018: Cut from 1.8mg olanzapine to 1.76mg. Probable withdrawal symptoms emerged about ten days later. Went back up to 1.8mg

-July 2021: Currently experiencing a strange "episode", withdrawal but no dose changes???

Current meds and doses: 1.8mg Olanzapine (compounded capsules), 40mg Citalopram, 1.25mg zopiclone (as PRN, taken once every few weeks during good periods and once or twice a week during bad ones)