KenCorbett: Very happy to find this site

KenCorbett

Hello all,

I have recently weaned after 18 years on Prozac, and found my way here while trying to figure out how I could abruptly experience severe erectile dysfunction without any of the usual causes. It makes sense to me that this area, so dependent on a soup of chemicals and nerves, can be easily thrown off kilter. 

Very happy to find this site and read the experience of folks who have seen some improvement over time. Patience, exercise and a good diet seems like the best route for me.

Best,

Ken

2015, April, stopped d-amphetamine

2014, Sept - Dec, inexpert weaning off Fluoxetine

1998 - 2014, August Fluoxetine 20-40 mg., d-amphetamine 40-60 mg.

Hi Ken  :)

You are very welcome here. This is a wonderfully resourceful and supportive community that will offer you the support and information that you need to guide you.

Sexual issues and dysfunction is a very common and distressing negative effect of SSRIs that so many of us have experienced / are experiencing. You are not alone in your struggles.

A moderator will be along shortly to welcome and advise  you.

Be kind to yourself & take good care.

Tilly x

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ken, welcome to SA, First I just want to say that if this is your real name, if anyone were to google your name this would come up in the search. If you are o with that it's fine, but I wanted to mention it because lots of members have used their real names then become upset when they realised it was a public forum. It has to be public for people to find the help we offer, and we recommend using a pseudonym but the choice is yours. If you wish to change it click the report button and one of the admins will do that for you.  :)

Sexual dysfunction is a symptom of withdrawal and can also be a side effect of the drug for some people. We have a topic here..http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/?hl=pssd 

Another member's experience here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6268-pssd-went-away-after-reinstatement-tapering/?hl=pssd

How long is it since you stopped prozac, and how did you taper?  It would help if you can put your drug history in your signature strip, you can find how to do that here..... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?view=getnewpost

Depending on how long it is since quitting prozac, and how long you tapered you may want to reinstate a few mgs to help ease the symptoms, when stable you can then taper off that tiny dose slowly and safely.  You can read about reinstating here..http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/ 

Tapering prozac http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/   

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Mentor

Hello Ken, and welcome.

How long ago did you get off the Prozac, and how long did it take to wean yourself off, and what dose were you on?

Welcome to the site!           I am sure you find lots of relevant information......           

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Hi everyone, thanks for your welcome, comments & questions.

I'm not entirely sure about my use. I was prescribed 20 mg/daily of fluoxetine, which I took for approximately 18 years, then began easing off, taking 20 mg. every other day, then once or twice a week, ending 6 months ago. I experienced a couple months of deep swings in mood, including sharp depression, which have eased. At present I have severe ED and a sort of listless incapacity to get much done. 

I did consider restarting, in order to see if there was any effect on ED.

Best,

Ken

2015, April, stopped d-amphetamine

2014, Sept - Dec, inexpert weaning off Fluoxetine

1998 - 2014, August Fluoxetine 20-40 mg., d-amphetamine 40-60 mg.

• Administrator

Welcome, KenCorbett.

Since you have no other withdrawal symptoms, and you are 6 months off Prozac, if I were you, I wouldn't try reinstatement.

At this point, no one has figured out how to repair Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD). Many people recover in time, very gradually. There is no definite timetable for recovery; it could take months or years.

In general, many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.