Sign in to follow this  
Sparrow

I made a mistake -- I accidentally took too much, took too little, or skipped a dose

Sparrow

Briefly: I'm tapering Lexapro (using liquid) and got down to 2.5 mg. Because I need to do a prolonged hold, and have trouble sticking to holds because it's so tempting with the liquid to drop that dose just a little bit more, I asked my doctor to prescribe 2.5 mg tablets instead. She did, and I started taking the tablets ten days ago.

This morning I looked at the bottle and saw for the first time that the pharmacy had dispensed 5 mg tablets instead, with instructions on the bottle to take 1/2 tablet per day.

So I've been taking a double dose for the past ten days. And I'm freaking out because it's taken me all of 2014 to get from 5 mg down to 2.5. Have I just lost an entire year of tapering? What do I do now? Have I been taking the double dose too long to just drop back down to 2.5?

I'm really freaking out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sparrow

edited to correct year.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Hi Sparrow,

Since 2015 hasn't happened yet (I think you meant 2014) this is what I would do: I would quickly decrease back down to the dose you want and do it within about a week or so and do your best to cope with the fallout in symptoms. When you get down to the dose you want, plan on staying there for a long time, only you will know how long that might be (I would guess several weeks). What I am suggesting is that you attempt to sneak this unwitting updose past your system by cutting quickly and not thinking about it.

It just might work. You just need to get your mind to cooperate. Act as if nothing has happened. No freakout.

Sparrow

Yes, I meant 2014. Thanks CW. I did take only the 2.5 mg this morning...but is my body going to feel that as a sudden 50% dose reduction? That could be a very, very bad scene. I'm really scared.

Meimeiquest

That is definitely a mod question. If I was on a desert island,I would reduce by a fourth of the difference every day for four days. I think trying to find something that feels right to you might help, you know yourself. We all have plenty of experience on where freaking out takes us. I hope you get it sorted out soon...you have been doing so well!

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

I think it is possible you will not feel any change in symptoms and I base this on the fact that when we are first prescribed medication (a LONG time ago) we are given a gradual dosage increase to a therapeutic level. As far as I know, no one is ever given the maximum dosage of a med straight off.

That is why I counseled you to avoid freaking out. If your mind is not worried your body will follow its lead. Think of it as sort of a 'reverse placebo' effect. If you don't see (or think) it as not doing any harm, well it just might not happen. I think there has not been any harm done seeing as how it has been such a short time. Cells are born and die on a much longer timetable than 10 days, you see.

I think Meimei's estimate for a reduction is conservative. Whatever you decide to do, do it as quickly as possible (you already started today, that is good!) and don't look back. I think you will be all right and it will not affect your taper long term. It may extend it by only the few weeks you decide to increase your hold.

Remember, whatever your body 'feels' your mind is the master of. Do not freak out in your mind and your body will follow suit. Ah, think of kittens instead. Have you seen this? I think it is adorable!!! Look at this image whenever you are tempted to think about your med.

purritos

Just in case you think this is a dumb idea, may I remind you that Alto herself has told people who are having problems to distract themselves with images of kittens and puppies. So there!

Edited by Altostrata
fixed link

Sparrow

I myself have long been a propronent of Cute Kitty Pictures Therapy, and practice it on a daily basis.

"Purritos" were exactly what I needed!

Altostrata

Those purritos did a lot for me, too. :wub:  Thanks, CW!

Sparrow, this is a tough one. I think meimei made a good guess.

Sorry you're in this pickle. Quick, look at kitties!

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

You've got to look at the original page on buzzfeed. I found it this summer and it is what got me through a 24/7 month long bout of depression with suicidal thinking. I had it as a desktop picture.

It starts with a tutorial video on how to make said purritos. God bless the long suffering kitties everywhere! (And isn't that a guy making them????)

anigif_enhanced-25121-1407530573-34.gif

Altostrata

Maybe kittens like to be swaddled, like babies? The ones above look like they're asleep.

LexAnger

I had a very similar incidence, twice. The first time up from 2.7 to 5 for one week, got back to 2.7 in the following week successfully without trouble. The second time from 2.7 to 4.5 for one week, tried to get down to 3.7 in one week , hit the wall, had to go back to 4.5, tried again down to 3.7 hit the wall again, so went back again to 4.5. Lots problems almost disabled. Been micro tapering since then by 0.5% reduction for the past 4 months, eventually shakedown off quite a few bad SE but still suffering lots others.

areyouthere

This happened to me for one day. I accidentally took a double dose of my lexapro. I was raking leaves when suddenly I felt "not right" , dizzy, weak, and pretty awful. That day was a total loss. But it did show me just how medicated I had been. My doubled dose equalled nearly 20 mg. that day and I had been on 20 mg for a year!! Lucky for me my body recognized the mistake and the next day & thereafter I remained at the lowered dose.

I'm very sorry that this happened to you and I can understand how easily that mistake could be made. 

As with everything in this game, all that we can do is try a strategy and then judging by our bodies reaction, respond in a a way that is the most tolerable.

This too shall pass!!! Kittens!!

RU :) 

Sparrow

I decided to be brave (or reckless, depending on your point of view) and immediately went back down to 2.5 mg. Today's the fifth day. Other than some episodes of dizziness, it's been okay so far, but probably it's too soon to know whether I'm out of the woods yet.

I'm also really pissed off that neither my doctor nor the pharmacy alerted me to the fact that Lexapro/escitalopram is not available in 2.5 mg tablets and that they would be dispensing 5 mg instead. Yes, shame on me for not checking the bottle -- hard lesson learned, thank you very much -- but still. I asked for 2.5, the doc said she'd call in 2.5, and I had no reason to think I'd be given something different without notification of any kind.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Sparrow, I was pretty sure you wouldn't have a problem. Because hey, you didn't notice any change bodily when you doubled your dose, you only realized it happened when you looked at the bottle.

To pharmacies, 2.5 is available, yes (by splitting a 5 mg tablet of course). We always have to be vigilant and I bet you never do that one again, amirite?

Meimeiquest

I agree, Sparrow. My pharmacy has a reputation for making some mistakes, but they always tell me if the form is different from "take one pill." But if you made it to day five, you may be "home free."

Rhiannon

Just a note: We've seen this before, accidental updoses, it happens. Realistically, I would expect you to experience some wobbles from it, but they should pass. Just hang in there. It sounds like you were planning to do a long hold anyway so it's not going to change your plans.

Love the purritos! OMG!!!

Sparrow

Eleven days back at 2.5 mg and doing just fine.

So how is that I can be so sensitive that a normal tapering cut (from, say, 2.5 mg to 2.3 mg) results in a major wave of w/d symptoms -- but going from 2.5 to 5.0 and then back down to 2.5 over the course of a few weeks produces no noticeable effects at all? Now that is weird.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

I may have an odd way of looking about but here goes:

Your body recently remembers how to 'feel' with 5.0 mg of the drug but going from, say 2.7 to 2.5 (looking at your sig) freaks it out a bit because it doesn't remember that environment.

And you may be expecting it to balk because of it doing so previously. You'll have to get over that hump somehow.

The other answer is "I don't know, but it's cool".

Rhiannon

I think probably all the adaptations and brain changes that happen in response to the artificial chemistry induced by these drugs, just don't happen that fast. Like I'm always saying, it takes time to grow a new brain. So when you went up on dose, your brain didn't have time to make all those changes in the short time you were on the higher dose. It was still basically structured/adapted to the 2.7 or so that you were on.

MarkNth

Last night I accidentally took 40 mg of Celexa instead of the 30mg I weaned down to. It was a horrible day!

I'm hoping that returning to the 30mg tonight is not going to be a problem. I know the half-life for Celexa is long. Not sure if I should just skip a day or take the 30mg.

Thanks everyone :-)

Petunia

I would think taking your regular dose as normal would be best.

bluebalu86

Sorry to start a topic here, but I need mod's help! I'm not sure if I took my Flupentixol dosage (two tablets, total of 1mg) today. Memory is very bad and I got distracted and I don't know if I took it or not. Should I take two more tablets (1 mg) just to be sure? Is a potential overdose better then missing a dose? Will this send me back to hell? I don't know what to do. I'll take measures that this never happens again. I can't afford to miss doses. Please advise on the best course of action, I'm very scared. I got sent to hell after I tried to drop my Flupentixol dosage last month and I don't want that to happen again.

ikam

Once I thought I took a double dose...I was so terrified...

I guess, just get back on track, I mean follow your normal procedure next day...this is what I did...

roadback1

Blue,

I have done this, too, and was more concerned about doubling my dose than missing a day, so I just waited until the next day at my usual time.

I didn't experience any added symptoms, and I am very careful now with my dosing ,because I can't rely on my memory either.

I am not an expert on this, Blue, and an experienced Mod will be along to advise.

I just wanted you to know you aren't alone and I am praying for you.

Roadback

Altostrata

Take your regular dose as normal. You may or may not have a rocky few days, but it will even out.

Altostrata

Being organized is one way to reduce anxiety.

btdt

I organised around how you take the pills and keep track of taking them. There are pill containers that have the day of the wk on them so if it is empty you know you took it.  

You could make our own containers if you like right the 7 days of the wk on them and it would work just as well. 

Writing on a calendar our in you own thread here when you got a new bottle of pill and the time you started taking them .. say got the new bottle on Monday .. April 1st took the first dose from this bottle April 2 then you can always count the pills against the days passed to see if you have taken the daily dose. 

I have used both of these as my memory is bad too I wish it was as easy for other memory related issues.  I hope you not having any fallout or if you do that is is short lasting. 

peace

Altostrata

merged similar topics

quads

Hello everyone

So I just did something really silly. I've tapered down to 15mg from 20mg citalopram over the past few months. I've been taking 15mg since 1st January and am doing a hold with it until the 21st January when I resume my next 2.5% reduction.

I just accidentally shot my whole 20mg tablet without drawing my 5mg out to get the correct dose. It's strange as I've been following the same routine now for months regarding taking my medication but somehow I just slipped up and just stirred my 20mg and forgot to syringe out the 5mg.

I'm kind of prone to panic so just looking for reassurance that this will be ok? 

Should I just take 15mg again tomorrow as always, and continue to do so until the 21st and continue my taper as planned from there? I'm following the brassmonkey slide method for what it's worth. 

Thanks for any responses in advance and I hope you are all doing well.

brassmonkey

Hi quads-- don't panic it will be fine. Yes, tomorrow go back to your regularly scheduled dose.  It's quite possible that there will be some bigger swings in symptoms for the next several days, but they should settle down and you will return to baseline. The 21st is only a week away, we should see how you are doing before then to decide if it would be a good idea to extend this dose for another week or so.  All in all this should just be a minor hic-up in your taper.  Making a slip like that is such an easy thing to do, just a momentary laps in concentration and you've done it.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy