I made a mistake - took too much, double dosed, took too little, or skipped / missed a dose

caro123

Hi quads-- don't panic it will be fine. Yes, tomorrow go back to your regularly scheduled dose.  It's quite possible that there will be some bigger swings in symptoms for the next several days, but they should settle down and you will return to baseline. The 21st is only a week away, we should see how you are doing before then to decide if it would be a good idea to extend this dose for another week or so.  All in all this should just be a minor hic-up in your taper.  Making a slip like that is such an easy thing to do, just a momentary laps in concentration and you've done it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Altostrata changed the title to I made a mistake -- I accidentally took too much, took too little, or skipped a dose
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

How to set a reminder to take your dose:

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hey SA world,

Last night, I fell asleep without taking my med. I’m currently on 2.85 mgs of Mirtazapine, which I take at bedtime because it makes me drowsy, as all of you know. 

Local time is 11:30 am. I slept from about 8:30 until 3:30, then woke up and realized I forgot to take my Mirtazapine. I didn’t take it then. 

of course, I’m experiencing more anxiety than usual, some lightheadedness. 

should I wait to take my dose this evening or take it now? I’ve never missed a dose so I don’t know what to do.

thanks—hope everyone is safe and well.

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• Administrator

@LiaJ-- you're taking such a small dose, I would take the mirtazapine at your regular time tonight. You might make notes today of the symptoms, for future reference when you're tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:55 PM, Altostrata said:

@LiaJ-- you're taking such a small dose, I would take the mirtazapine at your regular time tonight. You might make notes today of the symptoms, for future reference when you're tapering.

Thanks @Altostrata. Somehow it is encouraging to hear you say “you’re taking such a small dose”. 

Hope you’re well.

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• 2 weeks later...

Accidentally Double Dosed? Guidance Urgently Sought

Hey All,

I've been tapering Zoloft (sertraline) since the beginning of the year. I currently take 100mg per day in the mornings. Last night, I did something that I very much regret. As I was taking my allergy medication for the night, my brain went on auto-pilot and I grabbed my zoloft and took that instead. I must confess that at this point I panicked and forced myself to vomit, which in retrospect I regret because now I don't know whether I purged the pill or not. I feel weird this morning, but I can't tell if that's because I double dosed, because I also slept poorly and had an argument with my significant other last night.

To recap, I usually take 100mg per day, and may have taken an extra 100mg dose last night, but I don't know. It seems like I have a few options now:

1. Proceed as normal, taking 100mg this morning.
  2. Skip my dose this morning and proceed as normal tomorrow morning.
  3. Hedge my bets, and take a half dose this morning.
  4. Take a normal dose, but halfway through the day. Then, tomorrow, take a normal dose a quarter of the way through the day. Then, the next day, proceed as normal.
  5. Some kind of combination of #3 and #4.

This is an uncomfortable position to be in. Taking too much zoloft is very uncomfortable, but so is taking too little! I'm also afraid that this will compromise the success I've had so far at tapering.

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

I don't like SSRI's... but I don't like anxiety either.

• 2003: Started Zoloft 25mg for anxiety/depression.
  • 2003 through 2019: Estimated average of 125mg Zoloft. Intermittent substitution of Prozac. Intermittent self-prescribed "fast tapering" and cessation.
  • May 2019: Zoloft dosage increased from 100mg to 150mg to deal with anxiety.
  • January 13th, 2020: Started a tapering regiment. Reduced 150mg to 135mg. (age 34)

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Carn1523 said:

d may have taken an extra 100mg dose last night,

Double-dosing and missing doses are common and generally don't have significant repercussions.  Things may be a bit "off" for a few days but should return to normal shortly.

I would choose option #1, taking your normal dose at your normal time  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to I made a mistake - I accidentally took too much, took too little, or skipped a dose
  • 8 months later...

Hi all -- I've been taking 4 mg Trileptal for around a year now by crushing a 150 mg tablet, dissolving it in 150 g applesauce, and then taking 4 g of the mixture. Unfortunately I made a huge dosage mistake this week and am hoping someone here can help me out:

• On Tuesday night I incorrectly weighed out my Trileptal mixture and inadvertently took 7 mg instead of my usual 4 mg; I instantly got a strong reaction and was bedridden all of Wednesday (it felt like I had been severely drugged).
  • On Wednesday night I got a strong reaction when I took 3 mg so left it at that, and again felt drugged on Thursday.
  • On Thursday night I just took 1 mg and again had the same immediate reaction. On Friday I felt slightly better but still had some brain fog.
  • On Friday night I didn't take any Trileptal and felt fine, but on Saturday I woke up with severe brain fog and pain in my brain (the same type of pain that I get when I forget to take my medication -- feels like I'm in Trileptal withdrawal).
  • On Saturday night I took 1.5 mg Trileptal and got a small reaction. On Sunday (today) I again woke up with severe brain fog and pain in my brain.

What should I do now? Try to take more Trileptal to fix the withdrawal? Take less to avoid another adverse reaction? Take small doses throughout the day? Dilute the mixture?

Thanks so much. 

PRN = as needed; WDR = withdrawal reaction; ADR = adverse reaction

2007: Started BC pills  2008: Prozac 0 --> 80 mg  2010: Tapered Prozac 80 --> 0 mg  2015: LSD/shrooms/MDMA once; Xanax 0.25 mg PRN; Prozac 0 --> 40 mg; Lamictal 0 --> 150 mg  2018: Tapered Prozac 40 --> 0 mg (WDR); Klonopin 0.125 mg PRN  2019: DC'd BC pills (WDR); Klonopin 0.125 mg PRN; tapered Lamictal 150 --> 35 mg (WDR); Trileptal 0 --> 4 mg   2020: Jan: one BC pill (ADR + hormonal effects); Apr-Jun: curcumin cream daily + Elidel cream PRN (ADR + hormonal effects); Oct: started melatonin 0.375 mg; Nov: acupuncture treatment (ADR + hormonal effects); Dec: tapered off melatonin 0.375 mg  2021: Jan: benzoyl peroxide cream (ADR); Feb: started probiotic; Mar: tapered off probiotic; May: Trileptal 4 mg --> 0.4 mg (ADR); Nov: Trileptal 0.4 mg --> 0.3 mg  2023: Nov: Prednisone 60 mg

Current medications: Lamictal 35 mg, Trileptal 0.3 mg, Prednisone 60 mg

• 7 months later...

Opps I upped my dose accidentally today, now what?

Should I call the pharmacy?   Trying to get through to my prescribing doctor is a real hassle.  

Bit of history.  I have been at 5mg for 2 months now and stabilized after a year at 10mg.

My doctor prescribed liquid.  

I  finally switched finally to liquid from half 10mg tablets.   I misread the label for my first dose and gave myself too much today my first time using the liquid.  I misread the syringe and gave myself the wrong amount.  Instead of 2.5ml I gave myself 4.5ml.  Now what?  I will return to my normal dosage tomorrow.  Has anyone else accidentally given themselves too much?  

Pretty stupid since I am a nurse.   I guess it just goes to show how nervous I am about this taper stuff.   Anyone accidentally gone up for one day.   What did it do to your side effects.   

My plan from here is to decrease back to  2.5ml for another week before beginning the taper now that I made the flub up.   Any suggestions?  

Edited by manymoretodays
merged new topic to this pre-existing topic, added members title to post

1981 started on Paxil 20mg for anxiety/depression

1998 Switched abruptly to Welbutrin switched back after 24 hrs

1998 switched to Prozac abruptly switched back w/i 48 hrs

2019  PCP asked me to get off Paxil .

8/20  decreased dose to 10mg   tinnitus and mild dizziness.

8/20/21  decreased dose to 5mg  tinnitus headaches(migraine) dizziness

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there olderinoregon, @olderinoregon

Merged your ? and topic with a pre-existing one in our tapering forum.

Yes, you would just resume your schedule and correct dose at the correct time tomorrow.

Accidents happen, and you'll see that in browsing this topic.

I do have some other concerns though and will address those in your Introduction topic here.

Just click the underlined -here- to go back there.  Thanks.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to I made a mistake - took too much, double dosed, took too little, or skipped / missed a dose
  • 2 years later...

I need help-

i’m in vacation for a couple of days so the system i use to know if i took the dose changed. I cant seem to remember if i took my morning half-dose (I take 1.8mg in total daily, 0.9 in morning and 0.9 at night). 

I am getting very scared because i dont know how to figure out if i did take it or not, and am feeling weird but idk if its because i didnt take it or because im scared, since i dont have debilitating physical symptoms in general.

my partner says he thinks i didnt take it but we cant know for sure because i may have done it automatically when i woke up without him. Although i’m feeling light headed but it may be from the scare and i’m getting very very anxious, which may be from either the scare or not having taken it.

what would happen if i take an extra half-dose and what would happen if i miss half-dose? How long would any disregulation be? Maybe i can take my evining half dose earlier today? 

im scheduled to make my next taper in 11 days (i need to scheduled far in advance because of the pharmacy). Will i be fine then?

Before 2015- took several drugs such as sertraline, wellbutrin, fluoxetine, and quit all of them easily, didn't know about Withdrawal syndrome. // 2015-2018- 100mg Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), 5mg Somit (zolpidem), 100mg Activigil (modafinil). // Jul 2018- Went down from 100mg to 50mg Pristiq overnight (felt LOTS of withdrawal), continued with 5mg Somit + 100mg Activigil. // Oct 2018- Switched overnight from 50mg Pristiq to 75mg Elafax (venlafaxine) - (felt very very bad withdrawal for about 10-15 days) // 2018-2020- Stabilized, changed nothing. // 2020- Managed to quit modafinil and zolpidem entirely!!! So happy about this! I tapered off with no problem and no withdrawal.

2021- Started tapering venlafaxine 75mg in August 21'. Tapered 10% of current dose every 4 weeks. 

2022- The whole year I tapered 10% of current dose every 4 weeks. Had no problem with this kind of tapering, mild symptoms, the more I tapered the less symptoms I had. 

2023- Started tapering by 4% and then 3.5% of SERT occupancy, a decision taken after academic consulting with Dr Horowitz. Because it's a bit of a bigger taper the symptoms are a bit stronger, but they pass after the first week to 10 days of every taper, so when I reach the 4th week I feel normal again and I make my next taper.

July 2023- Currently at 4.2mg venlafaxine.

Sorry I didnt mention the drug- I’m taking venlafaxine (Effexor). Currently taking 1.8mg of venlafaxine daily, 0.9 in morning, 0.9 at night

Before 2015- took several drugs such as sertraline, wellbutrin, fluoxetine, and quit all of them easily, didn't know about Withdrawal syndrome. // 2015-2018- 100mg Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), 5mg Somit (zolpidem), 100mg Activigil (modafinil). // Jul 2018- Went down from 100mg to 50mg Pristiq overnight (felt LOTS of withdrawal), continued with 5mg Somit + 100mg Activigil. // Oct 2018- Switched overnight from 50mg Pristiq to 75mg Elafax (venlafaxine) - (felt very very bad withdrawal for about 10-15 days) // 2018-2020- Stabilized, changed nothing. // 2020- Managed to quit modafinil and zolpidem entirely!!! So happy about this! I tapered off with no problem and no withdrawal.

2021- Started tapering venlafaxine 75mg in August 21'. Tapered 10% of current dose every 4 weeks. 

2022- The whole year I tapered 10% of current dose every 4 weeks. Had no problem with this kind of tapering, mild symptoms, the more I tapered the less symptoms I had. 

2023- Started tapering by 4% and then 3.5% of SERT occupancy, a decision taken after academic consulting with Dr Horowitz. Because it's a bit of a bigger taper the symptoms are a bit stronger, but they pass after the first week to 10 days of every taper, so when I reach the 4th week I feel normal again and I make my next taper.

Try not to worry about it. Effexor has a long enough half-life that one missed split dose isn't going to make a lot of difference, unless you are extremely sensitive to it. Just wait until this evening and stick to your regular schedule. If you are getting worse symptoms ATM you could take a drop or two to hold you over until you take your normal dose.

Concentrate on enjoying you vacation and not worry about it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

17 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Try not to worry about it. Effexor has a long enough half-life that one missed split dose isn't going to make a lot of difference, unless you are extremely sensitive to it. Just wait until this evening and stick to your regular schedule. If you are getting worse symptoms ATM you could take a drop or two to hold you over until you take your normal dose.

Concentrate on enjoying you vacation and not worry about it.

Thank you for these words. Yours and LostinCanada's replies helped me a lot yesterday go through the day after being scared. ❤️ I'm going to paste the reply I gave her with this new question:

I felt perfect physically all day yestarday (did a lot of hiking, didn't need nap, etc.). Then I took my evening dose and today morning I took my morning dose. I feel a tiny bit as if I had withdrawals, idk, like when I feel inside my body something is happening which usually happens around 12 hours after I make my tapers*. I'm confused as to what is truly withdrawal and what is just anxiety and fear. So I don't know. 

I'm glad I'm back on my regular doses, now my only worry is that I make my next taper in 10 days (the pharmacy makes my pills that's why it's all planned so in advance), and I just want to know what you guys think if in 10 days time I'll be alright to make a taper. I guess from what I'm reading around people miss or double dose more often than I thought and they regulate immediately. Given all this experience, will it catch up to me in my next taper or in 10 days I'll be good enough? (I still have no idea if I actually missed the dose or not, but let's think I did).

Thank you again for your time and words, they really helped me go through the day yesterday.

*but in this case I'm feeling or noticing this about 24 hours after my supposed missed dose.

Anyway, thank you!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy