Castor strange saga; trying to get off seroquel (alive)

Castor

hi survivors,

My story is really long, but here's the short version: I'm in my mid-thirties, male, an intellectual/creative type. I developed panic attacks from adolescent trauma and was diagnosed with an "anxiety disorder." All through my 20s I was rx-ed higher and higher amounts of benzos. Eventually multiple failed benzo withdrawals on my own (c/t and rapid tapers) led to a serious suicide attempt and 2 month hospitalization 3 years ago.

In the hospital I was taken off benzos and put on 300mg seroquel xr (against my wishes) along with a host of other drugs. I was in very bad shape for over a year, but then started to get much better-- the benzo w/d seemed to ease up a lot and I managed to ditch the other drugs over time and ween down to 150mg Seroquel XR a year ago. However when I tried to cut down to 100mg xr on my own all hell broke loose-- the worst symptom being strange painful brain spasms (my main symptom) which made me suicidal again. So I was put on way more Seroquel-- up to 600mg. I "stabilized" but was miserable on a drug I should never have been put on in the first place.

So at present I'm on Seroquel 400mg xr and really wanna get off of it. I am not suicidal and I'm very grateful to have survived thus far, but life is not what it should be. I can't work yet, but I try to make the best of things by exercising, keeping up a good diet, staying active as much as possible, But the scary effects of the drug have started to really kick in more noticeably during the last several months-- emotional flatness, cognitive impairment especially memory issues, and that indescribable symptom of being "absent" in my own body and mind. It's a frightening feeling-- I've been through a ton of horrifying experiences with meds, but this eerie, soulless, "absent" feeling might be among the worst.

So I want to get off this ****. The problem I think is that when I try to taper on my own I tend to rush it and I get hit with the brain-spasms and outrageous insomnia. Even when not tapering I have persistent problems with my sleep being disregulated, which I am positive is an effect of the drug. Anyway, there's gotta be a (better) way to do this.

I don't know why I haven't checked in here before, it seems like a great site. I'm looking for feedback, support, and maybe even friendship on this lonely journey.

Cas

Edited by scallywag
tags added

2006-11: rx-ed klonopin for anxiety from life trauma  

2011: accidentally c/t klonopin....lots of healing but reinstated on 20mg valium 8 months later after alchohol use (stay away from booze!)

-tapered valium over the course of a year  2012: hospitalized for 8 weeks after major s/a bc of failed valium taper and put on Seroquel 350mg xr and multiple drug trials w/SSRIs, mood stabilizers, etc. 2013: multiple hospitalizations and failed drug trials

-tapered all other drugs and "stabilized" on Seroquel xr and started tapering 2014: re-hospitalized after failed taper, added amitryptaline

-bounced around on different doses of Seroquel xr, maximum 600mg 

2015: finally found good doctor and therapist, tapered amilitryptaline to zero

=looking to start taper again from 550mg Seroquel xr but rough somatic symptoms, especially at night

-failed reduction of 12.5mg in late August, updosed back to 600mg seroquel xr, intense somatic sx at night

-starting in november, using compounded capsules to drop 3mg every 5-8 days

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Castor

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• Laura1981

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I'm so glad you've made it here :)

A lot of us have tried and failed to get off these drugs..but I think you will find the advice and support here invaluable. I'm glad you've come here in a relatively stable state to start to taper slowly.

I also relate to the soulless feeling..it is inhumane really and one drug effect that I'm looking forward to disappearing.

Welcome :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cas ,   welcome from me too.  You've landed in a wonderful place , and you'll get lots of information and support.

Try reading "Why Taper by 10%" in the Tapering section , and then "Tips For Tapering off Seroquel" , to start.

This time you'll be tapering with a good knowledge base under your belt , and it will a lot smoother than previous attempts.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Mentor

Hi Castor, and welcome

What other drugs are you on?  It might be better to switch to the non slow release version of Seroquel,(instead of the XR) then if you take it mostly at night, it should help you sleep.    I also think I heard somewhere that the non XR version is easier to taper.  That's why I am on the non XR version.

Also, when you get time, you might be able to fill in your "signature",  with drugs you have been on, and where you are at now...      all this information is so very, very helpful.

Best wishes!

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

'It's a frightening feeling-- I've been through a ton of horrifying experiences with meds, but this eerie, soulless, "absent" feeling might be among the worst.' (quoted)

Hey Castor...that's exactly what I wrote some days ago in another thread. I'm living in this no-feelings condition since november 2014 when I stopped risperdal (was taking only 1mg a day) and nothing has changed since then.

I don't know what to do, maybe with summer and the beautiful days outside something will change also inside us, I hope so...welcome!

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

Welcome Castor .........you have found a place sought by millions but found by few!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Welcome, Castor.

Please see Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

When was the last time you reduced Seroquel?

(Fresh, sometimes people don't know how to use search.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Wow, thank you so much for all of the kind welcomes. 

Alto: my last reduction of Seroquel was 3 weeks ago-- from 450mg to 400mg xr.

Ang: I am not on any other drugs at this time. I have tried Seroquel IR but it typically hits my hypersensitized brain too hard. I think the only way I'd be able to do it might be to take it 4 or even 6 times spaced out over the day. At this point I don't think I can manage that, so I think I will have to stick with the XR

2011: accidentally c/t klonopin....lots of healing but reinstated on 20mg valium 8 months later after alchohol use (stay away from booze!)

-tapered valium over the course of a year  2012: hospitalized for 8 weeks after major s/a bc of failed valium taper and put on Seroquel 350mg xr and multiple drug trials w/SSRIs, mood stabilizers, etc. 2013: multiple hospitalizations and failed drug trials

-tapered all other drugs and "stabilized" on Seroquel xr and started tapering 2014: re-hospitalized after failed taper, added amitryptaline

=looking to start taper again from 550mg Seroquel xr but rough somatic symptoms, especially at night

-failed reduction of 12.5mg in late August, updosed back to 600mg seroquel xr, intense somatic sx at night

p.s. Is it really possible to get Seroquel XR compounded into tablets at different amounts than the 50mg increments?

• Moderator Emeritus

I stopped Seroquel by cutting XR tablets.   

I changed onto the XR because it was easier than taking multiple doses throughout the day.  No problems tapering off.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Very interesting, Fresh. Please add to Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

Castor, that is a good question. Breaking an XR tablet may reduce its extended-release properties. I've updated Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

To taper from Seroquel XR gradually, the best way is probably to get part of your dosage in XR tablets and part in immediate-release tablets, and cut up the IR tablets to approximate a 10% reduction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

So I remain on 400mg seroquel xr and that's it.

I am fairly stable, I guess, although I have some occasional very depressive thinking and some weird physical head discomfort-- odd vibrating sensations-- along with strange tastes in my mouth. 

I think I am going to ask my pdoc this week to reduce by 25mg. I wonder if I should try to plan it all out or just take one step at a time and improvise? 

I will have to take 350xr plus 25 ir

Sleep could be more consistent but working on that. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Castor,  you need to be consistent with your dosage and the cuts need to be no more than 10% of the current dose with at least 4 weeks between cuts. I wouldn't plan too much and listen to your body. 25mg is a good cut well below the 10%, if you get any symptoms then it's a sign that the cut was too big, or too close to a previous cut. You will soon get to know how your body is affected and know when to cut and when to hold.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I am on Seroquel and trying to withdrawal after a history of bad benzo withdrawals. 

My worst symptom is the feeling that my brain is pushing against my skull, a sort of strange nerve pain. Sometimes it's not so persistent and my brain feels almost like an itching, tingling sensation and I'll feel the need to pull my hair very aggressively (but not pull it out). When this is happening I also sometimes feel lots of weird tastes in my mouth.

Should I see a neurologist about this? Can anyone relate to or explain it? It's really, really unpleasant.

cas

I am on Seroquel and trying to withdrawal after a history of bad benzo withdrawals. 

My worst symptom is the feeling that my brain is pushing against my skull, a sort of strange nerve pain. Sometimes it's not so persistent and my brain feels almost like an itching, tingling sensation and I'll feel the need to pull my hair very aggressively (but not pull it out). When this is happening I also sometimes feel lots of weird tastes in my mouth.

Should I see a neurologist about this? Can anyone relate to or explain it? It's really, really unpleasant.

cas

I get this occasionally ,  it's so horrible 

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Castor,

I moved your most recent post from another part of the site to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. Please add information and updates about your changing circumstances, and ask questions here.

Strange head symptoms are very common in withdrawal, in fact withdrawal symptoms can effect any part of the body. Please add to our head symptoms topic here:

Head noise and other symptoms in the head

I think you have been tapering too fast and this may be why you are getting these symptoms. As others have suggested, I think you should hold for now and not attempt to taper until your symptoms have settled down. Please read through your thread and the links which have been posted.

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

* moved from symptoms

I have been on Seroquel xr for 3 years and am trying to withdrawal. Recently I did an overly aggressive reduction (from 400mg to 350mg) and got hit with this incredibly uncomfortable sensation of my brain "swelling" in my head. It has been going on for 2 weeks and I'm concerned that it hasn't improved, even though I raised my dose to 450, then 500mg. I am wondering whether I need to raise my dose even more to try to stabilize again.

I am extremely sensitized to medications because before seroquel I had multiple bad benzo tapers. Currently I am only on Seroquel.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cas

• Administrator

Castor, as far as we know, there are no shortcuts to gradual tapering. You will need to be disciplined to do it at a rate that minimizes withdrawal symptoms. We recommend trying a 10% taper per month.

Please read the topic Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine) carefully.

An update since I haven't been on here in awhile....I tried to cut from 400mg xr to 350mg xr (a 12% cut) around May 15 and it turned out to be a total disaster. I started getting a lot of pressure and my brain feeling really raw, especially at night. I tried to "grin and bear it" for about a week but that only made matters worse-- by day 6 I was suffering a lot at night, very agitated, etc.  So I wound up having to increase my dose, only stabilizing at 550mg xr, which is where i am now. In other words, I lost at least 3-4 months worth of tapering by trying to white-knuckle through a too-aggressive withdrawal. Extremely frustrating, but I hope a lesson learned. Because of all my previous med history, I think even 10% is way too aggressive. I might be able to cut at 10% to get back down to 400mg, but after that I will need to take it much slower. I am going to stay at 550mg xr a few more weeks at least before making any more changes. Ugh.

• Administrator

Sorry to hear that. Yes, you might have to taper at less than 10% per drop.

You might be interested to see this Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

• Moderator Emeritus

Extremely frustrating, but I hope a lesson learned. Because of all my previous med history, I think even 10% is way too aggressive. I might be able to cut at 10% to get back down to 400mg, but after that I will need to take it much slower. I am going to stay at 550mg xr a few more weeks at least before making any more changes. Ugh.

Castor... I am so glad that you didn't taper more than 12% and that you have decided to remain at a consistent dose for awhile. Your brain and body will thank you in the long run. 

Yes. We all learn lessons during this journey.

I have experienced tapering by small amounts only to find that it was wayyyy too fast and then , at other times, found that I was able to sneak in a larger cut when I just didn't expect it.

The only thing that I have consistently found to be steady and true is that making very small cuts is ALWAYS more likely to work.

You can always try another small cut sooner and back up without losing much ground, but once you make an over exuberant large cut ,  it is much more likely to set you back.

Smal, small, small, hold, hold, hold and SOMETIMES you can sneak in a little extra!!

Congrats on a lesson well learned!!! We all go through it!!!

RU :)

Castor... I just went back and read your introductory thread and was struck by several things. First, your description of how you feel on seroquel is so familiar to me. You said, "emotional flatness, cognitive impairment especially memory issues, and that indescribable symptom of being "absent" in my own body and mind."..... and I say  EXACTLY!!!!! That is EXACTLY how I felt on twice the dose of Lexapro that I am on now!!! 

Secondly, it hasn't escaped me ( has it you?!) that you are very aware of your tendency to push too far too fast. That is good. And now that you've pushed too far , you at least know by what amount and so you can now more accurately make a smaller cut. If I were you, I wouldn't try any more than 5 %, and probably less than that to start with. You will likely have to hold a little longer at first too. Don't worry, all of this waiting will pay off later...

And finally.... you mentioned that you were exercising & "keeping up a good diet". I want to emphasize how great that is!!! Keep up the good work!!!

again.... RU & welcome, Castor. 

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thanks RU and Alto. The feedback is super-appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been over a week since I posted so thought I'd update. Things seemed to be settling down at 550mg XR. But then one night I couldn't sleep and decided out of desperation to take 20mg of Amitryptiline (which I was prescribed PRN several months ago). Put me to sleep but over the next few days things got worse-- the return of extremely painful swelling sensation in my head-- as if my brain were smashing up against my skull-- and weird salty tastes in my mouth. That was 5 days ago and things only starting to settle again.

Basically I am incredibly sensitized at this point-- to everything. Not only can I not tolerate coffee, alcohol, nicotine, etc.--even a very small dose of an antidepressant I used to take sets off awful somatic symptoms. How I am ever going to get off all this Seroquel with this sensitized a brain I don't know. In all honesty I'm not sure it can be done-- the somatic withdrawal effects are too brutal. But I have to try. Going to wait at least a few more weeks on 550mg with the hope things re-settle again.

If anyone has any experience with the physical symptoms I've described, I'd be very grateful. Maybe I should see a neurologist? Also any other feedback is appreciated.

• Administrator

You need to let your nervous system settle down. Going up and down in dosages and throwing in other drugs here and there adds to the uproar.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's been over a week since I posted so thought I'd update. Things seemed to be settling down at 550mg XR. But then one night I couldn't sleep and decided out of desperation to take 20mg of Amitryptiline (which I was prescribed PRN several months ago). 

This is a normal and one of the most frustrating parts of WD. I wouldn't try desperate measures.

I agree with Alto... don't change anything, be patient with stabilizing and in the mean time look at alternative and natural ways to remedy difficulty sleeping.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Having a rough time. My sleep is very erratic, and especially lately I find the cognitive and emotional blunting really severe. This is partly because I'm still on such a large dose (550mg seroquel xr). My short-term memory is also quite diminished.

I sometimes even wonder whether I'd have an easier time switching from Seroquel xr to another AP like Latuda or Saphris which supposedly have less of this blunting (something my psychiatrist has raised as an idea). But idk, seems risky.

Two nasty recent events. I stupidly had a coke the other night and one hour after drinking it the physical sensation of "swelling" in my head was intense, my heart rate shot way up, and I was dizzy and totally panicked for over an hour. I had to stay on the phone for over an hour with a friend who has also suffered withdrawal.  I have become frighteningly sensitized. 

The second is ongoing-- over the last two or three days I've developed a twitch in my right eye, a sort of pulsating sensation that is possible to see close-up. I'm hoping that it's because I've been stressed out and underslept lately and that some regular sleep and exercise will make it go away. But I've also heard Seroquel can effect peoples in negative ways. Idk even feel like I have the energy to research it.

I wish I had something more positive to report, but feeling pretty bad lately. No change in my medication, sticking at 550mg xr. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you taking any other medications at the moment castor?

Because of all my previous med history,...

What date did you last stop taking benzos?

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Here's how to add your signature from a phone or tablet:

http://survivinganti...nature/?p=84105

I'm thinking that as you are able to reduce your dose, by tapering carefully and slowly, you will probably start feeling better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi again friends. 

FYI Petunia: I stopped taking benzos in the summer of 2012. I am not on any medication other than the Seroquel xr. I will try to add more exact dates to my signature when I have a little more mental energy.

Still experiencing rough sensations of my brain "swelling" at night, at different intensities. Last night this was accompanied by some frightening intrusive suicidal thoughts/images for about an hour, but thankfully not active suicidal ideation. 

I am going to break up my dose, starting tonight with 500mg xr at night and 50mg xr in the morning b/c I suspect the night dose might be triggering some of these sensations-- it might be toxic to take that much at once. I don't know if thats true but its possible. 

Wondering how slowly I should transfer more of my dose to the morning? Not sure about this. I just feel like I need to do something to get back to stable ground where I can start tapering again. I have just messed so many things up with this process, I should be on way less of the drug. But I can't try to speed things up, that's just courting disaster. Gonna give 550mg at least another week while trying to shift some more of the dose to the morning... unless friends object.

• Administrator

Coke is loaded with caffeine, plus it messes up your blood sugar pretty severely.

Yes, it's possible 550mg Seroquel is too much for you and causing a paradoxical reaction at night. Dividing the dose as you proposed sounds like a good idea to me.

The way to do it is to gradually take 50mg a couple of hours earlier each day, moving it from your nighttime dose to a morning dose.

Is your psychiatrist cooperating with your tapering plans?

Hi Alto. Yes, I have a new psychiatrist as of this month and he is cooperating. 

Today will be my second day taking 500mg xr at night, 50mg in the morning.

No return of suicidal ideation last night, generally it was a better night. Fingers crossed for tonight.

• Administrator

Good to hear. It will take at least 4 days for the dosage change to fully register.

Does your new psychiatrist know anything about tapering?

Hi again alto. Yes, he is a self-identified "holistic psychiatrist" and is on board with tapering gradually, although i don't think he quite gets how gradual I will need to proceed given my complex med/withdrawal history and sensitization. No more cutting 50mg at a time, or even 25mg for that matter. I know I need a different strategy, but I think he will be on board for it. He does not quite believe my whole history and has ordered a battery of lab tests etc....he also raised the idea of switching APs, but I think I made it clear I don't think that is a good idea.

I will stick to my current dosing level and schedule for at least 4 days.

• Administrator

Switching drugs always brings an additional risk.

In a bit, if you feel you can recommend him for tapering, please add his contact information here http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

My sleep schedule is really messed up-- last night I didn't get to sleep until 5am. When I woke up at 12:30pm I had some weird body sensations-- like it was hard to move-- plus head pressure, and a bit of strange thinking. This lasted for about 20 minute before starting to fade away. Essentially symptoms that I typically get at night were spilling over into the day. 

I really feel like I'd be helped if I was able to sleep regular hours, as those are typically when symptoms are worse. Idk, feeling concerned.

This will be my fourth day taking 50mg xr in the morning, 500mg xr at night. Very eager to start tapering but not sure I'm ready yet after the turbulence of the last 2 weeks (caffeine, failed amitryptiline experiment, etc.)

• Administrator

How is this different from when you were taking 550mg at night?

There was no typically no harsh symptoms during the day. They were all at night. 

My last period of harsh symptoms during the day was during the week after (rashly) cutting the dose from 400mg to 350mg several weeks ago.