SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Karenna: 10 long years on Celexa-10 long days off Celexa

Karenna

Thrilled to have discovered this website. Tons of wisdom, experience, support and empathy here.

I am presently 50 years old and newly retired.

Started taking Celexa over a decade ago due to Cushing's Disease effects: depression, anxiety, relentless ruminating, suicide ideation, hyper adrenals, super duper high cortisol levels (I mean, shockingly high)

But.....Cushing's is a whole other story!

I will just say that it was hell on earth. After suffering with it unknowingly for 15 years, I was finally diagnosed in 2002. I had a 5mm ACTH producing tumor on my pituitary gland. In 2003 the tumor was successfully removed and I began my recovery. Slow and steady, I healed......mind, body, & soul. It was nothing short of a miracle.

Attempts to stop the Celexa were failures. But....this antidepressant really seemed to help me. The ruminating, agitation, sadness, & meloncholy were kept at bay. My overly sensitive nature and nervous system was numbed & muted.....I was quite mellow. A bit lethargic, and aniorgasmic......but I was coping quite well in my high stress job. I also weathered some painful life situations---- the death of my father was excruciating. I tried to come off the meds once and I cried every single day, all day for 3 months. I was an absolute wreck of deep sorrow and despair. It was brutal! Once I started the Celexa again......all that suffering was eased a whole lot.

So, many more years went by until just recently. Something changed in me....my whole system seemed to be rejecting the medicine. I just could feel it......hard to explain. I decided that I had to try to come off the Celexa. I weaned for a few days and then felt a strong urge to completely stop taking them.

That was like 10 days ago.

I am experiencing the brain zaps, brain freezes, diziziness, tinnitus, water logged ears, runny nose, agitation, slight aggression, harsh nausea, sadness, anxiety, hyper-neuro emotions, slight moments of mania, headaches, hot flashes & chills, and persistent genital arousal disorder.

Some of these withdrawal symptoms seemed to have lessened just a tad bit. The nausea is still here. PGAD is horrible....but it comes and goes.......I really, really feel badly for anyone that has this disorder.

The fact that I am retired and that my family and life are in a stable, stress-free time right now (compared to periods of complete disaster) is easing my struggle with withdrawal.

I am so very curious, hopefull, and eager to see what and how I will and can feel without the Celexa. I want to feel again......at least I think I do. Mindfulness intrigues me. I want my creativity back. At this point in my life.....I want to be me....all natural. You know what I mean?

I don't know if I will be able to continue without the Celexa. I am being cautiously optimistic.

This forum certainly is helping immensely. I am truly fascinated with so many discussions here about the brain, body, and emotions on and off of medication. I never really thought too much about how the Celexa was really affecting my system. I was too busy working, taking care of people, trying to just make it through each day.

Being retired has given me the luxury of getting to know myself.

So, here I am....not feeling too good at all. But, I have a very strong desire to see this through, so far anyway.

Thank God for this website and all you lovely people sharing and caring!

Thank you!

Celexa 40mg for over 10 years- Began AD due to Cushing's Disease (ACTH emitting pituitary tumor), depression, severe ruminating, anxiety, extreme sadness & crying over death of my father.

AD seemingly helped me a lot for a long time. Side effects were tolerable: numb emotions, aniorgasm

Presently retired from high stress career and my body is suddenly rejecting the Celexa.

Tapered off for a week and then cold turkey.

April 2015--Withdrawal symptoms begin: nausea, headaches, brain zaps, ringing in ears, vertigo, waterlogged sensation in my ears, runny nose, altering chills & hot flashes, increased anxiety & neuro-emotions, eye twitching, PGAD, some depression with times of slight mania.

October 2015---Doing well-- Most withdrawal symptoms are greatly reduced. I will always have melancholy---but, learning to roll with it.

Hi Karenna

Welcome on board. You tapered too fast which might be contributing to the withdrawal. If you feel worse and like you can't cope, you can try reinstating a tiny amount of the Celexa to ease the symptoms. How are you coping this far?

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Karenna, welcome to SA.  I'm glad to see that the tumour was successfully removed and you recovered, that must have been an awful time for you. Sorry for the loss of your father, it is so hard to lose a parent, whatever age we are.   

After such a long time on celexa withdrawal could go on for a long time, sadly some have suffered for years after cold turkey while others have been over it in months, but there is no way of knowing who will be over it quickly and there is no way of speeding up the process. The drug has changed the way the brain works and it has to adjust to being without it.

The only way to halt the withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate the drug, it may be possible to go a little lower, stabilise then start a slow safe taper. What you describe is what is usually known as 'poop out'  when the drug begins to have an adverse effect.  It happened to me with effexor and I was very ill for years before I realised it was the effexor.  Quite often those side effects lessen as the dose gets lower while tapering. 

You have done a lot of reading here which is great, knowledge is power, when you now what is happening it is easier to deal with. 

I want to share Rhiannon's take on withdrawal and tapering, she calls it 'growing a new brain' 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=91582 Some more links in case you haven't seen them. 

What is withdrawal syndrome,  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

About reinstating http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

About tapering celexa. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/page__pid__19887#entry19887

No one ever wants to reinstate a drug, but it can mean the difference between getting on with life and suffering. It takes time and patience to taper but it is well worth it, to be free of the drug permanently. People who quit C/T or taper too fast inevitably end up on more drugs because doctors believe it is a relapse when in fact it is withdrawal!    It is your choice of course, and we are here to support you whatever you decide. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you for your replies bluebalu and mamma.....I really appreciate the time you've taken to read and answer my post.

I realized a few important things after scouring this forum:

#1- that it might have been a bad idea to stop so suddenly. I totally understand what y'all are saying. Surprisingly, my withdrawal is quite endurable at the moment. What makes me nervous is that the worst is yet to come. I mean.....10 years is a looooooong time, right? My brain might all of a sudden......in the near future.....realize that the Celexa is gone. Maybe it's gonna go nut so when it catches on. A delayed reaction....as I have learned here.....a late onset of debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

If this happens, I am very prepared to heed the advice & warnings. I will reinstate (new term I learned here).

I am holding my breath waiting for the crash. Hoping, though, that my body will accept the drug and kick in if this happens. This antidepressant worked well for me for so long and it also started working within a week or so.

Mamma, the 'poop out' term is new to me also. I've always read about how antidepressants can become ineffective after long term use......but, ignorantly, I never stopped to think that Celexa would turn on me, become toxic, have an adverse effect.

#2- Jeepers.....after reading a bit about Xanax here.......I have come to understand that my approximately 1.5 mg a day is not considered a low dose. I am actually allowed up to 3mg a day but very rarely, now that my life is less stressful, do I take that much. So, yea, I am going to work on a plan for that little pill too. This one I will definitely wean, taper slowly. Learned here about using milk to dissolve the tablet when ready to take minute amounts.

With my Cushing's Disease I had to rely on a forum similar to this for all and any information. It was a Godsend. Back in 2002, the Cushing's Help forum was new. But without it, I doubt I would have gotten through that ordeal with my sanity. The doctors just didn't, couldn't, or wouldn't indulge me with any in depth information or support. My neurosurgeon was brilliant and kind...... as was my endocrinologist and my GP.......but there was extremely little dialogue about how grotesquely I suffered. Kind of like what so many experience with doctors and antidepressants.

I am only just under two weeks without Celexa. I am coping one day at a time. I want to think that I can do this without too much angst. But, I have a feeling that I am in store for a very bumpy ride. I think it has yet to even begin. We shall see.

I am very scared, yet excited & hopeful.

Right now the headaches and brain zaps have eased a bit. The nausea still comes and goes. Eating seems to actually help.

I do have some anxiety, agitation......my fuzzy blanket that was suppressing these emotions has been taken away. I do feel 'raw' and vulnerable. I am retired and live by myself......so, I am able to mostly read my body and take care of myself. This is very new to me. I have been taking care of other people for so long. As devastatingly ill as I was with Cushing's Disease, my Dad was even more ill with brain cancer at the same exact time. He had gleoblastoma multi-form. My tumor was 5mm.....his was 5cm.

I am going to brace myself for the really, really intense sadness that just may overcome me. So far, I am ok.

The one thing that I need to do and that has always helped me is exercise. Also getting enough sleep.....but not too much sleep. Eating nutritionally and taking my vitamin D, magnesium, vitamin C, and fish oil are helping too.

I think I am being a little bit cocky and stubborn about going cold turkey. Respectively cocky, though.

Time will tell, I am sure of that.

Thank you, again, for reading my post, and being here for me with all your amazing support and knowledge. You are appreciated far more then you'll ever realize.

Celexa 40mg for over 10 years- Began AD due to Cushing's Disease (ACTH emitting pituitary tumor), depression, severe ruminating, anxiety, extreme sadness & crying over death of my father.

AD seemingly helped me a lot for a long time. Side effects were tolerable: numb emotions, aniorgasm

Presently retired from high stress career and my body is suddenly rejecting the Celexa.

April 2015--Withdrawal symptoms begin: nausea, headaches, brain zaps, ringing in ears, vertigo, waterlogged sensation in my ears, runny nose, altering chills & hot flashes, increased anxiety & neuro-emotions, eye twitching, PGAD, some depression with times of slight mania.

October 2015---Doing well-- Most withdrawal symptoms are greatly reduced. I will always have melancholy---but, learning to roll with it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for filling out your signature, it is very helpful.  I would not start to taper the xanax yet, not when you are suffering withdrawal from celexa, you need to be stable before starting that taper, especially if you have been taking it for a long time.   It is an impossible situation when the drug turns against you and makes you sick, then stopping makes you sick too!  Sadly it isn't a case of  just getting the drug out of the system, it is undoing the changes that were made in the brain while taking them.  I really hope that it doesn't get too bad for you, reinstating can help and can be done up to 3 months or so but the more time that goes by the less likely it is to work. If you decide not to RI there are lots of very helpful suggestions on how to cope with withdrawal in the symptoms and self care section.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I really appreciate the responses I received. Thank you.

I am now about 3 weeks with zero Celexa. The brain zaps have slowed down and their intensity has diminished. I had some pretty sever nausea for a while and that has calmed down a lot too.....not completely.....it comes back once in a while.

I had some nasty headaches almost every day. But they are definitely better.

I have had a water-logged sensation in my ears with lots of ringing. This has also gotten better. I still feel like I have a bit of a cold....I can feel my sinus pressure and a runny nose. I take some cold medicine and it really helps with the bad headaches.

I still can get agitated fairly easily....I find myself slamming doors, cupboards, and throwing things here and there.

But this has also been less of an issue....I have been much mellowed this past week. I still feel emotions come over me quickly and I try to breathe and ride it out.

While on Celexa, I never, ever cried. The first 10 days off....I started to cry watching stuff on TV. And, ya know, it felt really good to feel.

My PGAD....which was quite bad for a while....has really mellowed out....thank God! That disorder is no joke. Very anxiety-provoking.

I am kind of just coasting through this 3rd week with not too much suffering. It does help A LOT that I am retired and things are quiet in my family right now....no drama.

I am still very cautious and weary of the possibility that my 'real' withdrawal has yet to come. I am trying to brace myself.

I do get brain freezes and hot flashes.....but I just started menopause....I am a 50 year old woman.

Just wanted to check in and give an update.....mostly just trying to stay cool, calm, and collected. The headaches, nausea and PGAD were the worst....along with brain zaps, mania, anxiety, agitation, paranoia....but much of this has been better this week. The good thing about withdrawal is that I feel emotionally free....not suffocated, stifled. I just hope that in the upcoming weeks I don't start to feel too much. Time will tell.

I will check in again in a week or so.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the update, I'm really pleased to see that you are improving.  :)

Withdrawal tends to come in windows and waves, so don't feel devastated if symptoms reappear or new ones start, it's all part of the process. The waves get less and the windows get longer as time goes by.   You can read about windows and waves here.... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Hopefully they will be ripples rather than waves and settle quickly,  or better still no waves  at all! 

2002  effexor. 

Sadly it isn't a case of  just getting the drug out of the system, it is undoing the changes that were made in the brain while taking them.

I totally agree with this.

So correct me if i am wrong ...you have taken celexa (citalopram) for 10 years and cold turkeyed it.(one week taper is a ct after 10years ) You have now been 3 weeks drug free.

You are taking xanax presumably just started it since going drug free?

Karena you do not want to do this to yourself .

Oh yes we all think that we are the exception we can brace for wdl and tough it out.

Wdl will drop the strongest of wills and best intentions to the floor leaving one nonfunctional. Furthermore imo wdl is not a respector of situational factors

You said previously "Attempts to stop the Celexa were failures." . Did you CT then too. What is it that makes you feel this time is different.

Heres my opinion one option you might like to give some thought to is reinstate the celexa and stabilize and start doing the rec 10 % taper. Putting aside several years to taper off. Best not to throw more drugs into the mix so once ri the celexa taper the xanax if you have taken it for more than a week.

I did a clueless taper and in wdl i dragged several family members so far into emotional overdraft i will never be able to repay them ...it definitely wasnt a 'no-drama' time for several years.

Of course its your decision what you choose to do . I think you are aware that wdl can be delayed.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Welcome, Karenna.

Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Silver Star, I completely understand and respect your advice about the danger of going gold turkey. The Celexa was making me feel terrible and highly anxious after ten years (about). I felt it was toxic and felt it best to just stop taking it. I went to see my doctor last week and she is quite supportive and she knows that I am very aware that I might have to go back to the antidepressant if my depression becomes back too severe. I suppose I am gambling here......that reinstatement may not work if I wait too much longer.

The withdrawal has been difficult but so far, I am coping well despite the discontinuation syndrome. I am retired and life is relatively quiet for me right now. In the past.....for a very, very long time.....there was much stress all around me. Work, family drama, serious illnesses.......lots of heartache and chaos.

I am blessed to be able to take care of myself right now while dealing with this withdrawal. I just feel so real right now......as of now, I am enjoying being able to have emotions again. Good ones and some sad. As much anxiety that I have.... I also find myself laughing more now too. Spontaneous laughter has been exceedingly rare for me while on Celexa. I cry once in a while now...never while on the medication.

My headaches and nausea are better as this new week starts.....PGAD still comes and goes. But the sexual dysfunction is improving greatly.....no longer am I anorgasmic.

I still feel like I have a sinus cold.....waterlogged ears sensation is better....I just feel like my nose is running and I can sense fluid moving in my sinus cavities. I take sinus pain medication to help with the headaches. It does help. Still, the nausea and headaches are my worst symptoms of WD. I feel mild brain zaps and brain freezes. I do get hot flashes quite often. (Menopause and Withdrawal?)

I have been taking Xanax as needed for a few years and I still use it. It does help with my anxiety, sleep and PGAD. I am working hard at only taking about 1.5mg per day. I will not stop the Xanax until I am stable with my Celexa withdrawal.

I guess I have not really added too much here....it's been like 20 days I guess without any Celexa. I know that my brain and body systems still have a long road ahead of trying to heal and recover.

I will write more as my journey continues.

Thanks for all your support and concern.

Oh, I am taking Fish oil, vitamin C, magnesium, and vitamin D supplements.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Karenna , how are you going at the moment?    

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hey Silver Star....how are you? Thanks for asking about me.

I am doing pretty good, continuing the withdrawal of Celexa. The headaches and nausea have gone away. Right now, the worst withdrawal symptoms are the agitation that comes and goes. I can get pretty grouchy really quickly at times. Also, the PGAD can be quite uncomfortable and anxiety-provoking. I am not 100% sure why I have the PGAD.....I have recently began menopause and it may have triggered this disorder. I have a prescription for Xanax and I try to take it sparingly. It does help me to relax.

I have not been depressed and have not cried much the past week or so. I think that my withdrawal is still so early.....so, I am taking one day at a time. I have found that I laugh out loud now.....something I never did while on Celexa. When I am amused by something I read or see....I actually experience the urge to laugh....even when I am just by myself. It seems trivial, perhaps, but the Celexa numbed my ability to laugh spontaneously.

Long brisk walks help with my irritability. I also sleep 9 hours a day. I am blessed to be retired.

So, for now....I feel pretty good. Just the PGAD and agitation are uncomfortable for now.

I will keep posting updates.

Thanks for your support!

Here I am calling everyone 'Silver Star'.....thinking that it is a username. How embarrassing! My concentration since beginning my withdrawal is getting a lot better....so, I have no excuse. The above message should gave been to you, Fresh.

By the way, my brain zaps, brain freezes, and waterlogged feeling are pretty much non-existent at this time. My runny nose, sinus dripping lingers very slightly. Just so glad that the headaches and nausea are gone!!!

I am still taking Magnesium, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Vitamin C and I eat lots of yogurt.

Benadryl helps me relax too at bedtime.

• 3 weeks later...

My withdrawal continues. My withdrawal symptoms continue. The nausea has subsided. The physical suffering seem to be waning in wake of the emotional turmoil that has begun. The headaches linger. The pain is on both sides of my head and seem to coexist with a constant feeling that my sinuses are draining.

The PGAD has gotten a lot better........it does come back at times but it is relatively tolerable. Thank goodness.

SSRI's are so infamous for causing weight gain. So, as I am staggering along in absence of Celexa, I have been curious to see how this plays out for me. I find, now that the nausea has subsided, that I have a healthy appetite. I eat when I am hungry and I seem to be more in control of how much I eat and highly aware of exactly what my body needs. I don't know how to explain it......off the medication, my whole natural rhythm of food/calorie intake seems to be so natural.

Even at this early stage of my withdrawal.....I can really sense a metabolic change in how my body burns energy. I seem more aware and in control of when I need to refuel.

On the other hand........my emotional regulating system has started to go haywire. I knew this was going to happen......I mean, I braced myself for it. But no matter how much you prepare.......the intense sadness, anger, guilt, regret, worry, loneliness, agitation, can completely knock you off your feet.

Reading about the neuro-emotions is really, really, REALLY helping me in such a desperate, vulnerable, painful time.

I agree with so many that the overpowering emotions that we experience in recovery are outrageously amplified but yet justified just enough to hold onto them.

This is where I am at right now....my emotional well-being has become a gigantic challenge and concern. I thank God that I am healthy just enough to have awareness.

The awareness, though, doesn't make my suffering any less.....or my challenges ahead that much easier.

I won't go into details here.....but I have a family situation that involves a young teenage nephew and it tugs at my heartstrings earth-shatteringly. The pain is completely, utterly unbearable.

But, by the Grace of God I am going to get through this. I am realizing that coming of an antidepressant has awakened me and now I must face life feeling everything that is thrown at me.

No more suppressing, stifling, shoving the emotions deep inside. I have been unleashed.....and boy it is exceedingly, extraordinarily scary.

I have no other choice but to survive and push forward......but, I'm gonna need a lot of faith and love along the way. I pray that the love and faith find me when I don't have the strength to look for it or even see it when it is right in front of me.

• Administrator

You still have the option of reinstating a very low dose for a proper taper.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Altostrata......I do realize that reinstating is an option. It's just that the Celexa seemed to becoming so toxic to my system....making me so sick. My hair was falling out in clumps.....I was very weary of the drug.

Perhaps, I should have weaned slowly.

I appreciate your advice, experience, and knowledge.

I will consider it.

I am doing ok......just trying to be ultra aware of the neuro-emotions. They come over me very abruptly at times. Although, I am also having more and more peaceful times as I distance myself from the Celexa.

I definitely understand going fast, I've done it myself on more than one occasion. Being on some of these drugs has made me feel much worse than any withdrawal symptom I've had. 2 years ago lithium went toxic on me and nearly killed me, it put me in the hospital for 28 days. I stopped 6 meds cold turkey. I made it about a month before I had to reinstate 3 of them. I've been tapering ever since with good luck so far.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

• Administrator

No one wants to reinstate. Even 2mg Celexa might reduce withdrawal symptoms.

• 1 month later...

About 4 months off of the Celexa now for me. Headaches are completely gone as is the nausea. No longer have the waterlogged sensation in my head and ears. No more dizziness and no brain zaps.

Persistent Genital Arousal has lessened significantly......such a huge relief!! Thank God!!

I was so very irritable and super-hyper sensitive to feeling slighted by anyone. Extremely agitated, restless, impatient, aggravated, angry.......really, really short fuse.........road rage.......intense and paranoid. Quite melancholy, tearful. Not interested in my usual hobbies. Feeling vulnerable and very raw......on edge.

But.....thank goodness these neuro-emotions are definitely settling down. It was crazy for a while.....like I was a mad woman....so desperate, paranoid.....fear of being abandoned by my family......my reasoning, perception, & perspective were so exaggerated and way off the mark.

I feel so much more in control of these severe, overly dramatic feelings, fears, and emotions. I am calming down more and more each week that goes by. I was overreacting big time to just about everything and everyone.

It is amazing how badly these drugs damage your nervous system. It's exhausting to feel so freakin' pissed off all the time.

I have been exercising regularly........and then stretching a lot. Doing anything I can to just be healthy and calm. Slowly getting my system to relax and stabilize.

I am getting to know myself again. Starting to work through lots of feelings that I numbed, ignored, and suppressed while on the Celexa. I do have some sadness, melancholy and grief over losses I have endured. But.....it is so good to be feeling again....even if it is heart wrenching sometimes. I think, as humans, we are meant to have and work our way through all of our emotions......including and especially the darker ones. That is how we grow, learn, become wiser and flow with the river of life.

Trying to stop the river from flowing it's natural course with these drugs is just so very, very wrong!

• Mentor

Hi Karenna, you also mentioned you are menopausal?  That change in hormones, take time to get used to as well, perhaps that is what threw out the celexa working?  And welcome to the gorup, I havent been well for a week, a slip into a wave, not so bad today, thank goodness....... every time a wave hits, the panic and anxiety for me is dreadful, like going back to square one and starting all over again.  

I tend to agree with others here, reinstate some celexa and spend two years tapering............  well worth it............    

I got to the site too late, I had already been off my drugs for 6 months when I crashed  (I tapered mine over three months..........  should have been 3 years!).......  was too late after 6 months for me to reinstaate, I tried to in desperation, just made me worse.

Best wishes, and there are wiser members here to help you along..........

Ang

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Administrator

Good to hear you're feeling better, Karenna. According to your first post, you went off 40mg Celexa at the end of April?

How has your sleep been?

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ang and Altostrata....thanks for posting in my thread. I really do appreciate it so very much.

I am doing ok. I've mentioned before, I am retired, and not having to go to work is a huge comfort while coping with withdrawal from Celexa. I had an extremely stressful job.....working as a security supervisor in a maximum security prison. I am very blessed to have been able to do 25 years and get out at the age of 47. I have a fairly comfortable pension and don't need to get a job right now.

I couldn't imagine trying to withdrawal while still working....now way, no how.....not for me. So, I give those of you that are still employed and going through the symptoms of withdrawal a lot of credit and super-well wishes.

I am 50 now and once withdrawal started I was getting hot flashes very regularly. All night it was hot and then cold. I experienced it during the day too. Well, suddenly, the past week or so...the hot flashes are gone. I am not sure if this was a short-lived symptom of menopause or the Celexa withdrawal. I am very pleased that these intense hot flashes are gone as of now. I usually sleep pretty well. I don't have any set schedule....so, sometimes I stay up really late...sometimes I am asleep by ten at night. I do still take Xanax and use it to calm me down when my neuro emotions get ultra crazy. I also use Benedry to help me sleep.

I have been feeling pretty good lately....the PGAD is almost non-existent......but, I am not holding my breathe.....I have a feeling that it will come and go or stop by once in a while. I've said this before ...PGAD is a horrific symptom of withdrawal. When it is absent....it is such a huge relief!!!

My biggest problem now....is I am just such a naturally meloncholy type person. In withdrawal....it can be amplified....and also....in menopause....I have hormone fluctuations. The two people I love the most...my nephew and my Mom...well....in withdrawal, sometimes I can sometimes dwell deeply in fear of losing them. It is overwhelming sometimes as losing my Dad was earth-shattering to me. But, they both are alive and well and in my life. Trying so hard to just live in the moment with them.

Loss is inevitable......I know this very well....so, I am always bracing myself for it....but also attempting to stay present in time.

At my age....I often find myself reflecting on my life and withdrawal can exaggerate a normal 'mid-life' identity crisis.

Exercise continues to be very healing for me...although....I am learning that I must not overdo it. It can certainly get my adrenaline and cortisol pumping a little bit too much for my frail nervous system. But, while I am on the treadmill....pushing hard , sweating ....I feel so much relief. I jam to all kinds of invigorating dance-pop music while exerting my muscles, lungs, and heart. I just LOVE it. Then I stretch to more mellow music. I am in my own world and all my withdrawal symptoms are absent....especially the emotional one. I could do this all day long ....but, eventually my knees start to give out and I have chores to do and such. Love, love, love my workout time!

I am doing a lot of lurking and reading here. It has given me great comfort when I am having a bad moment, or day.

Thanks to everyone for there contributions to this forum. You are helping so many without even knowing it.

• Administrator

How long did it take for the PGAD to go away? Did it just fade? How often do you get it now? When you get it now, do you have any other symptoms at the same time?

Hi Altostrata,

I have been really doing a lot of reading and searching for information about PGAD. Also sometimes referred to as Restless Genital Syndrome.

My PGAD..... I'm pretty sure started within maybe two weeks of stopping the Celexa. I hadn't ever heard of it before....so, at first I thought that my libido was back after being suppressed on the drug. But, it was constant and there was no relief. I started doing searches on the Internet for 'unusually strong sex drive' and stuff like that.

That's when I learned it was, most likely, due to stopping the antidepressant.

My experience with it is not exactly the same as what I have read. According to my research PGAD symptoms that many women get are actually painful.....especially in the area of the clitoris. I never was in 'pain'. I also never had spontaneous orgasms at all.....except while sleeping.

My symptoms were a very, very intense need to be relieved of what seemed to be genital arousal. But, no matter how many orgasms I would experience.....and I am telling you---- I would have near 50 sometimes within an hour. I was never satisfied or relieved from the extremely acute arousal. It was so stressful to my mind and body....I just couldn't relax at all. It was like a horrible restlessness that could not be calmed down. I was so distracted all the time ....all day with this horrible sense of arousal. And it had nothing really to do with wanting sex. Something was seriously wonky between my nerve endings in my brain associated with sexual arousal.

For me.......it was mostly a very intense arousal deep inside the ******....like it could never be satisfied.

The only relief that helped was when I fell asleep. I take Xanax sometimes and that helped just to relax me a little tiny bit. Later on, fairly vigorous exercise seemed to quiet the unwanted arousal temporarily.

Some symptoms that I had along with the PGAD were typical of withdrawal----like extreme agitation, irritability. The inability to relax my mind and body went hand in hand with my PGAD. I was very restless and could not concentrate during these times.

It really was quite unbearable. Always there and I couldn't relax or concentrate. It was so hard to find something to get my mind off of it. Just a terrible, terrible experience. I was thinking of trying the TENS machine. I was considering numbing creams.

I think that coffee and stress aggravated the PGAD.

I am Leary of taking too many vitamin supplements because I suspect that some may aggravate the PGAD. Lately I stick to just Fish Oil once a day and I take vitamin D, vitamin C, and Magnesium a couple times a week.

After a couple of months...I started to get hours of relief a few days a week. Then, I would get half a day and then a whole day sometimes.

Usually it would be fine in the morning but then within an hour of awakening....it would start again. Very, very deep and very, very intense and I would have many, many orgasms without it going away. Can you imagine having 25-50 orgasms within a very short period of time and still being able to have more but still not be rid of the excruciatingly stressful, tense need for the arousal to go away. Just horrible. I don't think people understand it until it happens to them. Before Celexa, I would have a few orgasms and be very content. While on Celexa...I could not achieve orgasm....and I took this drug for many years. I can only imagine what happened to the neurons, connections, nerve endings and receptors in my brain once the Celexa left my body after 10 years.

Anyway.....I started having two-three days in a row without the PGAD. It was just glorious to be free! I was so happy. But, it would come back now and then and I just had to get through it....praying for it to be very temporary.

Right now it comes on, maybe once a week and it is substantially less intense. I loathe it even when it is more muted. I am praying that it just continues to dissipate as time goes by.....maybe not in a perfectly linear way.....but, I have hope that it will, eventually be completely gone. Today was a great day and most days are now as far as the PGAD is concerned.

Are you experiencing some PGAD yourself? Even though it is a terrible disorder....I am quite fascinated by it for some reason. Something in the brain is misfiring.....or nerve endings are waking up......it's complex. I was basically completely anorgasmic while on Celexa. Before the drugs, I had a very normal, healthy orgasm situation...being relieved of all sexual tension and build up.

If my PGAD did not improve....I feel like I would have really been in trouble.....I mean, it was unbearable.

I feel so badly for anyone dealing with this. I pray that more research can be done to help those that have not recovered from it.

Sorry for the long response and/or if I gave too much info.

Thanks for your interest in my experience....I hope you are feeling well right now.