introduction sky68

hi there!

As a newbie in this forum, a short introduction.

After being on ADs for over the last 6 years, a year ago I decided it was time to quit. My depression had been over for a year or so, so it was time to leave the meds. In my eyes, ADs can be helpful for many, this has been the case for me with Nortriptyline. But all the SSRI's I had tried before, they did more harm than good for me imho.

Wish I had found this forum earlier, what a great site and so much useful information.

A short review of my tapering over the last year:

the instruction leaflet of my nortriptyline says tapering off in a few weeks' time.

NOOOO WAY! I found this asking for trouble. Decided to take my time, and to do it very very slowly.

So I made a plan (with consent of my GP) which I, during the time, adjusted according to my own findings and how I was feeling.

It turned out to be a one year plan, and so I did.

I quit completely just 5 days ago.

Normally I would feel some WD effects 5 or 6 days after tapering, so now I am constantly watching and checking my body and  mental feelings. Maybe I should not do this.. ;-) and should seek for more distraction.

Hope I can contribute to this forum.

Moreover, I wish all of you all the good luck and success!

Diagnosis: GAD (2008), clinical depression (2012), again clinical depression (2016) and ptsd (2016)

History of: paroxetine, lexapro, sertraline, bupropion, zyprexa, seroquel, nortrilen, oxazepam, lorazepam, diazepam, nortriptyline.

Successfully came off nortriptyline after a full year of tapering from 100 mg. Quit in May 2015.

February 2016 started mirtazapine, followed by levothyroxine in April 2016 (diagnosis hypothyroidism)

Current meds/supplements: mirtazapine 15 mg, levothyroxine 50 µg, diazepam 1mg (tapering off) and melatonin 5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sky68, welcome to SA. Congratulations on tapering nortryptilene and for tapering slowly while listening to your body. 

Hopefully you will be ok and not suffer any withdrawal symptoms, some do just fine but others can have withdrawal. I tapered effexor over a year too but suffered withdrawal after a month off and reinstated a very tiny dose to stabilise. Effexor is one of the worst to get off though, and doesn't mean that you will be the same! 

It's good to have you here.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you mammaP for your kind words and welcome :-)

Effexor seems to be a pain in the a.. to get rid off. So glad I never used this. Hope you will get through this period without too many issues!

Is it unusual to experience WD symptoms a month after stopping? This may be a stupid question, but I have not read all the ins and outs on this forum, yet ;-)

Maybe it's best not to bother too much about this, and just see how it goes.

Peace to you and all other members here :)

Diagnosis: GAD (2008), clinical depression (2012), again clinical depression (2016) and ptsd (2016)

History of: paroxetine, lexapro, sertraline, bupropion, zyprexa, seroquel, nortrilen, oxazepam, lorazepam, diazepam, nortriptyline.

Successfully came off nortriptyline after a full year of tapering from 100 mg. Quit in May 2015.

February 2016 started mirtazapine, followed by levothyroxine in April 2016 (diagnosis hypothyroidism)

Current meds/supplements: mirtazapine 15 mg, levothyroxine 50 µg, diazepam 1mg (tapering off) and melatonin 5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sky , welcome.   No , it's not unusual at all to have withdrawal symptoms one month after stopping.

Keep a close watch to see if your symptoms become more pronounced over the next month.

It may turn out that jumping off from 2.5mg isn't going to work for you , and you may then decide to reinstate a small amount

as mammaP and many others here have.

Big congrats on your journey so far ,

Best wishes , Fresh

p.s. if you click Follow at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

It is not unusual to have withdrawal symptoms after being off for a month, especially with SSRIs, but as nortriptylene is a tricyclic you will hopefully be ok. 

This topic on withdrawal will explain what it is so you know what to watch out for.  Don't worry too much, to be forewarned is forearmed so you will know what is happening, it can be mild and short lived so no need to panic if you feel any symptoms emerging.  If they get bad reinstating a tiny amount can help, it doesn't have to be the full dose. Sadly whenever someone in withdrawal goes to the doctor they say it is a return of depression and they give more drugs.  You did well to taper for a year and hopefully will be fine. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you Fresh, I'll just wait and see.

Dosing smaller than 2.5 mg seems almost impossible with nortilen. Here, in the Netherland, the smallest pills are 10 mg and so very small.

I've used a pill cutter (cut twice per pill) and a nail file, ánd a weighing scale that weighs in mg's to get the 2.5 mg.

If I should reinstate then it can not be lower than 2.5mg. Because of the size of the pills.

but thank you for you comment and kind words, as well as the tip to 'follow'! I sure will do so :-)

And thank you mammaP :-)

I can relate to the comments of the depression returning (blah blah, never believed it!). Just for the sake of big Pharma, I used to think.

What a great forum and community, with such nice people around!

x

• Administrator

Welcome, sky.

If you feel withdrawal symptoms, you can take a very small amount, such as 1mg, by making a suspension with a tablet and water. See Tips for tapering off nortriptyline

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Sky,

I too am tapering nortriptyline.

Are you able to get the capsule? If so, it may help with smaller dosing.

My doc has presribed the liquid nortript for me. I haven't filled it yet as I am still using up my capsules.

If you can get the liquid or capsule you may find tapering much easier.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

hi chicken,

Thank you for your input.

Here, in the Netherlands, notrilen is only available in pill form. No liquids nor capsules.

That certainly would have made tapering a lot easier!

Have you had any problems during tapering pamelor?

Not many people use Pamelor (or nortryptiline) I noticed. It's hard to find much information about that one.

short update.

All went fairly well and easy until last Wednesday. It was my day off from work and started to have headaches. Not the normal ones, but the WD headaches I know from earlier WD symptoms. Got also the feeling this was triggered by a stressful moment at work on the day before. There are some huge changes planned in the organisation (major reorganisation) with lots of sudden panic amongst co workers. This affects my job ánd me.

All of a sudden I can't handle sounds and other external sensations. I tend to stay away from other people and lock myself in my house where it is relatively quiet. At night I sleep with earplugs although there's no one sleeping or snoring next to me ;-)

This weekend I stayed in, occassionally listening to some ambient music. I've been repotting some plants which was a good extraction.

At times I feel as if I have a tight band wrapped around my brain and sqeezes it. Feeling restless, headaches remain. Paracetamol doesn't help at all.

Do I wait and see, and sit it out? How long will this last? I'm not willing to give up yet and reinstate my meds. But work will be an enormous challenge for me the upcoming days.

Don't feel like talking to anybody, just want to be left alone. I have to work tomorrow, but not feeling up to it.

I really have to find out what will work best for me to get me through this stage (or waves yet to come).

It is not unbearable, but quite uncomfortable. Hope it will not become worse.

x

Hi Sky68

Sorry to hear that things are bad at work for you.

We have been taking different meds but sometimes WD hits us in similar ways.

Anything that is unsettling sets off a chain of events and symptoms for me since WD. I get the pressure headaches and  I too find it hard to stand noise and intereact with other people's conversations. I like gardening and have found this to be  very therapeutic.

I have had to learn coping mechanisms to get me through these tricky times. I was given valium to take in emergencies by my Dr but found that taking them as and when made me feel so much worse.

Are you taking any supplements? Magnesium and Fish Oil can help some people. There are threads about these on the Self Care part of this forum.

Can you try any relaxation techniques?

Hope you can find something that will help you get through this tough time.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

hi Flowers,

Thank you :-)

As a matter of fact, I've just bought fishoil (omega 3). I'll give it a try! Thought I'd take them with vitamin E supplements.

In the past I tried magnesium before but found these not contributing so I'll pass on that one now.

The pressure headaches have remained during the whole day. Normally I'd take some work with me to my home, but I don't do that anymore. At least for the upcoming time.

At night I do some relaxation as the mindfullness. This helps for sure. It doesn't take away all the stress I'm feeling but gives me somewhat ease.

The diazepam are for 'emergencies' only.

Thanks again for your tips, really appreciate it :)

x

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Alto :)

Maybe I should try magnesium (again). In the past I used it to relieve depression, as to no reveal. But I could give it another try to see if it helps with the WD headaches.

x

• Administrator

Magnesium doesn't help with depression, it's relaxing.

If it is relaxing, then it could ease depression I suppose?

Anyway, I set my hopes on fish oil (omega 3).

My WD symptoms are quite manageable now. They are there but I can deal with it.

What works best for me is to set limits to what I can or should't do. Say 'no' more often, have a good share of silent moments.

Most interfering is much noise and sound, I need to be able to shut myself off from other people. Too much interaction is a thing I can't handle last few weeks.

Have good hopes, still going strong.

All of a sudden, when I woke up this morning, I felt a big relief.

As like the wave had come to a stop and making place for a window.

I found this change quite abrupt, is that uncommon?

Just a few nights ago, in the middle of the night, I felt so ill from the WD that I packed my bag cause I thought I was going to end up in hospital. Which didn't happen, the bad feeling slowly went better...

Things that I keep in mind to make life easier during the WD might contribute to the better feeling I have reached today. This includes

- realizing I cannot solve anyone's elses problems

- say 'no' more often

- no more coffee later in the day

- using omega 3 fish oil and vitamin supplements

- not making plans or appointments for near future (see how it goes by the day)

- not working at home for the boss in the weekends anymore. if I can't finish my work due to stress at work, it is not my problem (anymore)

- keep having faith that I can get through this period of WD

- my home is my haven of peace and silence

A weight has lifted off me, so it feels right now. I hope I'm making the right choices.

Love to you all,

x

• Administrator

Waves and windows are both sudden or unexpected.

Sounds like you may be stabilizing, this is good.

So I've noticed, Alto, it's been a one day window only, this first time.

Nevertheless now I know what it is and that it can come back.

x

• 11 months later...

Just an update.

So I quit nortriptylene on May 5 2015. The WD symptoms faded after that time. The waves became shorter and the windows longer.

By August 2015 I was WD symptom free!

Unfortunately in the meantime some major negative things going on, life events. Which introduced a new depression episode. End of last February things got out of control and then I started mirtazapine 15mg. A relatively low dose, but enough to stop the suicidal thoughts that I had. No major side effects. I'm in therapy as well.

Mirtazapine was my choice because I get ill from SSRIs and the nortriptylene had too many unwanted side effects. And mirtazapine is supposed to make you sleep better. Well, that is in most cases. Which didn't work for me behh. My insomnia is my biggest problem at the moment, but it's getting better. Slowly.

Last month my GP diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. It can, but not necessarily, cause depression. I'm on meds for that now too and instating which can take a while to find the sweet spot. This might just be a very helpful aid to getting over my depression.

In the meantime I've been tapering diazepam which is going well. I'm taking it slow and the end of diazepam is near.

Spring time is helping too.

x