wantmyhubbyback: zyprexa withdrawal symptom mgmt?

wantmyhubbyback

all had been good since my prior post.  hubby was continuing to taper the seroquel.  he was still taking 15 mg mirtazapine and 100 mg trazadone for sleep, and .5mg ativan in the mornings (although sometimes he'd forget to take the ativan and didn't notice any difference in his anxiety level during the day).  kidney meds have been the same over the last 18 months or so.

the first mania episode was jan 31.  in retrospect, i should've seen it coming because there were signs earlier in the month and in december but i interpreted them incorrectly -- in fact, i thought they were POSITIVE indicators of hubby's reduction of seroquel, which was down to essentially nothing at 12.5mg.  he had been tapering @ 10% for the last year.  the pdoc was ready for him to jump off.  he had a renewed attitude about stuff he'd been interested in long ago, he had a lot of energy, he was much more communicative ... but as i said somewhere above, hubby is an introvert, a typically quiet guy, and generally not concerned about home maintenance.  so  when he got hyperverbal and interested in hosting neighborhood parties -- not to mention suggesting organizing closets and drawers, and cleaning the house! -- i shoulda known something was wrong.  he also was sleeping maybe 4-5 hours a night vs the 6 or 7 hours he'd been sleeping last fall.

he was first highly agitated over a minor incident involving gardening.  i left to go run errands, and when i came back i found he had locked me out of our bedroom.  i called the pdoc who said to give him 100mg seroquel.  he became more angry, and although hubby has never been violent i was afraid because in 20 years i'd never seen him behave like this.  so i had to call the police, who came and convinced him to take the meds.  the next morning, he was essentially catatonic, and so i had to call the EMTs to take him to the hospital.   that led to a bad week of arguing with stupid doctors about not jacking  up the meds.  i think we ended up at 25mg seroquel. that episode lasted maybe 48 hours or so. 

the next 3 weeks were normal. coronavirus wasn't really yet a major thing.  all was good until feb 26, when he had a paranoid episode involving our electrical system. he thought "they" were looking at us through our appliances, etc so he pulled all the cords out of the wall. it looked like the catatonia was perhaps on the return so i convinced him to go back to a (different) hospital where we again argued with stupid doctors and ended up at 100mg seroquel plus the 2000mg depakote. this episode also lasted about 2 days.  all during this time, labs/scans were normal, med levels unchanged, and nobobdy could find any underlying physical condition for this even though they all agreed that it probably WAS a physical thing.  so... that's how we get to a bipolar diagnosis. (to me, THIS is what's crazy here).

so... now with coronavirus, he's understandably more anxious and nervous because of his immunocompromised status and his tendency to catastrophize makes it worse. i try to get him out of the house for a walk every day, and into the car for a ride every now and then, but he's really not interested in leaving our house at all.  that said, he's sleeping much better (perhaps too much, actually) and seeming to cope as well as can be expected.  it's unlikely that the pdoc will want to make any med changes while this is all going on, so i guess we're stuck with it for the year and who knows how much longer.

hoping everyone is staying healthy! hang in there.

diagnosed with MDD/GAD nov 2013, 6 months following CMV complications post-kidney transplant.  lst zyprexa taper 12 months; /increased paxil to 30 mg; crash nov 2014 w/ suicidal ideation & 10day hospitalization.  2nd zyprexa taper 6 months; crash after 6 weeks; reinstated zyprexa 15mg in 6/15 (both tapers worked well to the 2.5mg dose).  3rd zyprexa taper ... 17mg 3 mos;  15mg 1 mo; 10mg 3 mos, 5 mg 3 mos. 2.5mg caused some decompensating, so back to 3mg and  the 10% redux.  UPDATE: moved to FL in late 2016. found great new psychiatrist who agrees that hubby taking too many meds.  continued zyprexa taper and finally  jumped off at .5mg in 2018.  had terrible insomnia. added seroquel @ 300 mg and then tapered 10% to 12.5mg over 2 years. everything was great until it wasnt; hubby suddenly got very agitated and manic.  hospitalized 2x in early 2020 for "idiopathic secondary mania" and diagnosed as bipolar.  seroquel now back @ 100mg plus depakote @ 2500 mg and trazadone @ 100mg. 

mirtazapine 30 mg 45mg 15mg

ativan .5mg 1x/day, occasionally .5 addl  if needed for sleep 3x/day n now 1x/day

paxil 20 mg 1x/day 

gabapentin 1200 - 1800 mg 2 -3 x/day

immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplant: sirolimus, tacrolimus, mycophenalate, prednisone, levothyroxin and a whole handful of others

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wantmyhubbyback

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

• jammin83

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m also trying to quit zyprexa and it’s very tough.  I am currently at 1mg and wanting to get off at this dose.  Is this advisable

June 30th dosages and times tskenzypr
currently tapering zyprexa @3% every 2 week
August 05
Can anybody advise which of the following I should be tapering first.  I am currently on 
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
zyprexa. .75 mg taken at 10pm. 
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
lorazepam. .5 mg taken at 10pm
Having bad withdrawals as have been multi tapering
August 9
I know I have been very wrong for not following advice given before.   Please can I start over and get help.  
Realised i I made a mistake with my signature on 30th June.  Cymbalta should have been13.2mg not 18.2mg.  
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
24 beads cymbalta 4mg, tapering,  to September 10  on 1.2 mg
2mg Ativan, February had tapered to 0, February 15- 1 mg, tapering to September 10- 0.68 mg( divided into 2 doses of 0.34 mg 12 hours apart)

worthy, the admins will have to advise on that. but if you are able to get quantities at the .1mg level (as you say you are currently at 1.6mg), my recommendation would be to decrease by .1mg until you get to .1mg, then jump off from there.  alto says earlier in this thread "get down as low as you can."  it's solid advice.  the slower you go forward in tapering, the less likely you'll go backward.

diagnosed with MDD/GAD nov 2013, 6 months following CMV complications post-kidney transplant.  lst zyprexa taper 12 months; /increased paxil to 30 mg; crash nov 2014 w/ suicidal ideation & 10day hospitalization.  2nd zyprexa taper 6 months; crash after 6 weeks; reinstated zyprexa 15mg in 6/15 (both tapers worked well to the 2.5mg dose).  3rd zyprexa taper ... 17mg 3 mos;  15mg 1 mo; 10mg 3 mos, 5 mg 3 mos. 2.5mg caused some decompensating, so back to 3mg and  the 10% redux.  UPDATE: moved to FL in late 2016. found great new psychiatrist who agrees that hubby taking too many meds.  continued zyprexa taper and finally  jumped off at .5mg in 2018.  had terrible insomnia. added seroquel @ 300 mg and then tapered 10% to 12.5mg over 2 years. everything was great until it wasnt; hubby suddenly got very agitated and manic.  hospitalized 2x in early 2020 for "idiopathic secondary mania" and diagnosed as bipolar.  seroquel now back @ 100mg plus depakote @ 2500 mg and trazadone @ 100mg. 

mirtazapine 30 mg 45mg 15mg

ativan .5mg 1x/day, occasionally .5 addl  if needed for sleep 3x/day n now 1x/day

paxil 20 mg 1x/day 

gabapentin 1200 - 1800 mg 2 -3 x/day

immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplant: sirolimus, tacrolimus, mycophenalate, prednisone, levothyroxin and a whole handful of others

• Administrator

Hello, want. How are things going?

This is absolutely not good. If he's been taking Ativan regularly, skipping doses can mess up his symptom pattern quite a bit. Irritability may be a symptom of this.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, wantmyhubbyback said:

although sometimes he'd forget to take the ativan and didn't notice any difference in his anxiety level during the day

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.