sogno: I need advice

sogno

Hi

I recently found this forum and I would like to introduce myself and talk about my situation :)

Since I was 18-19years old I suffered of  depression. I also suffer of social anxiety.

I talked to a doctor and he put me on zoloft 50mg, zyprexa 5mg and 2mg lorazepam everyday. it's been a year since I started to take these medications.

Just three months ago I decided to quit the zoloft, because I was tired of the side effects: losing hair and zero libido and almost anorgasmia.

I tapered it slowly and I didn't suffer much, except a lowered mood. My doctor says it's because the depression is coming back.

Since I'm taking these medications ( the zyprexa and lorazepam) I noticed my emotions are dulled, my memory is worsened and my ability on focusing and learning is diminished and I also feel tired all the time.

I noticed I'm way more anxious than before, my doctor tried to increase the dose of lorazepam but I declined.

So I'm seriously considering of quitting these medications. I talked to my doctor about suspending the medications and he said these drugs don't have that kind of side effects. I believe this is bs. He also discouraged me on quitting the meds because things "will get worse", and I could get very depressed like I was before.

Honestly I don't remember much how I was before, yes, I was depressed but I made some changes in my life, and I don't suffer, as far as I know, of bipolarism, schyzofrenia or any other serious mental problem. I also know that the more I'm on these medications, the harder will be to quit.

I basically want to quit but I'm also worried about the consequences of doing so. I don't know what to do.

I would like to hear opinions of someone who found himself in a similar situation.

Thank you :)

Welcome,

Please go to "My Settings" and fill out your drug history signature, mine below is an example.

It's good that you figured out your doctor is giving you bad information. You've only been in this medication trap for a year, so you have a good chance to get away from these medications without great prolonged difficulty. But it will still be a challenge.

We need to know how long you took to taper off Zoloft. If you tapered off 100 mg during three months, how did you reduce the amounts. It may have been too fast of a taper, and you may now be experiencing some withdrawal from the Zoloft.

A moderator with more experience will be along to help you decide how to get off these drugs, if you fill out your signature that will help.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Welcome to SA. Sorry you are suffering. Please do not even consider quitting more meds until a mod comes along to advise you. You say you decided to quit Zoloft three months ago and "tapered slowly". A three-month or less taper off of 100 mg. is not a slow taper. The taper rate recommended on this site is 10% per month. (You cut 10% of your current dose and hold for at least a month before cutting again.). Your doctor is wrong. The symptoms you are experiencing are definitely withdrawal syndrome. The only way to ease symptoms is by going back on a low dose, and tapering slowly. Hopefully a mod will be along to advise you shortly with regard to how much to reinstate, and how to best handle the eventual tapers of your other meds if you are wanting to get off of them. (The usual procedure is to taper one at a time, and in a certain order.)

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thank you for the replies.

I don't remember very well how I tapered the zoloft...

I read some of the infos in this forum and I realized I didn't taper it "slowly", my bad....

after six months the doctor said to take half of the pill ( so 25mg). I stayed on 25mg for more than six months then he said to not take it anymore. That was my "taper". Before this forum I wasn't aware you should taper it slowly, my doctor said to interrupt it and I did what he said.

I don't believe the issues I'm suffering are because the suspension of the zoloft, but because of the lorazepam and the zyprexa.

clearday: I will edit my signature later, when I'm on my computer.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome sogno,

How long ago did you stop taking Zoloft? Do you notice any pattern in your symptoms?

We do need a little more information as clearday said.

If you would put your drug and tapering history in your signature, that would help us, here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right. Sadly, most doctors don’t have a clue and often advise tapers that lead patients to going back on the drug because of a ‘relapse’,  which is actually withdrawal.

See: What to expect from my doctor

I don't know if you are experiencing withdrawal from zoloft or side effects from zyprexa and lorazepam, it sounds to me like you may be experiencing both.

Here are links to the side effects of zyprexa and lorazepam

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/zyprexa-side-effects.html

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/lorazepam-side-effects.html

Here is some more information about withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

There is also a potential major interaction between the two drugs you are still taking

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1488-0,1744-1113

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png

lorazepam ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: lorazepam, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Ask your doctor before using LORazepam together with OLANZapine. This can cause low blood pressure, shallow breathing, weak pulse, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness and slurred speech. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with a debilitating condition. You should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until you know how these medications will affect you. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use these medications together. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

When we have a little more information, we will be able to help you safely taper off your medications, if that's what you want to do.  For now, don't change anything. I'm glad you found us.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome sogno,

How long ago did you stop taking Zoloft? Do you notice any pattern in your symptoms?

We do need a little more information as clearday said.

If you would put your drug and tapering history in your signature, that would help us, here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right. Sadly, most doctors don’t have a clue and often advise tapers that lead patients to going back on the drug because of a ‘relapse’,  which is actually withdrawal.

See: What to expect from my doctor

I don't know if you are experiencing withdrawal from zoloft or side effects from zyprexa and lorazepam, it sounds to me like you may be experiencing both.

Here are links to the side effects of zyprexa and lorazepam

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/zyprexa-side-effects.html

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/lorazepam-side-effects.html

Here is some more information about withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

There is also a potential major interaction between the two drugs you are still taking

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1488-0,1744-1113

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png

lorazepam ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: lorazepam, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Ask your doctor before using LORazepam together with OLANZapine. This can cause low blood pressure, shallow breathing, weak pulse, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness and slurred speech. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with a debilitating condition. You should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until you know how these medications will affect you. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use these medications together. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

When we have a little more information, we will be able to help you safely taper off your medications, if that's what you want to do.  For now, don't change anything. I'm glad you found us.

Petunia.

It's been three months since I stopped the zoloft. I didn't notice any strange symptoms ( no anxiety, no brain zaps,etc) other than after a month of suspending it I become very depressed.

I didn't know the interaction between olanzapine and lorazepam was considered risky.... my doctor said to take them together at night before sleep..

Welcome.  3 months , might not be enough, to notice.  I hope for you , it will be fine.    However, do not take any notice of your doctor.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Administrator

Welcome, sogno.

Just three months ago I decided to quit the zoloft, because I was tired of the side effects: losing hair and zero libido and almost anorgasmia.

I tapered it slowly and I didn't suffer much, except a lowered mood. My doctor says it's because the depression is coming back.

Since I'm taking these medications ( the zyprexa and lorazepam) I noticed my emotions are dulled, my memory is worsened and my ability on focusing and learning is diminished and I also feel tired all the time.

I noticed I'm way more anxious than before, my doctor tried to increase the dose of lorazepam but I declined.

Which symptoms got worse when you went off Zoloft? This is important. Increased anxiety is a common Zoloft withdrawal symptom; lowered mood, emotional anesthesia, and concentration difficulties are also withdrawal symptoms.

Lorazepam can have the side effect of depression, memory problems, and fatigue.

A combination of Zyprexa and lorazepam might well cause lack of energy, dulled emotions, and poor memory. This combination does not treat depression.

Your doctor does not seem to be well informed about psychiatric drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, sogno.

Which symptoms got worse when you went off Zoloft? This is important. Increased anxiety is a common Zoloft withdrawal symptom; lowered mood, emotional anesthesia, and concentration difficulties are also withdrawal symptoms.

Lorazepam can have the side effect of depression, memory problems, and fatigue.

A combination of Zyprexa and lorazepam might well cause lack of energy, dulled emotions, and poor memory. This combination does not treat depression.

Your doctor does not seem to be well informed about psychiatric drugs.

the only symptom which got worse after suspending the zoloft was the lowered mood.

The olanzapine is used in my case to treat social anxiety.

• 3 years later...

Topic title:  Olanzapine withdrawal and insomnia

Hi

I'm Federico from Italy and I will be 30 in August.

I have an history of depression and social anxiety. I talked to a psychiatrist and he put me on zoloft, lorazepam and olanzapine around 6 years ago.

At the "worst" of my therapy I was on 50 ( or 100 mg sorry I don't remember) of zoloft, 3.5 mg of lorazepam and 5 mg of olanzapine daily.

I was on zoloft for around a year but decided to quit, but I stayed on lorazepam and olanzapine for 5 years until recently. I managed to wean off the lorazepam during the years and now I'm free of it since around a year. Got worsened anxiety when quitting the lorazepam but other than that I managed to quit fine.

The last drug my psychiatrist wanted to remove was the olanzapine. Keep in mind I took the drug at 5mg for 5 or 6 years daily. He decided to reduce the dosage so he put me at 2.5mg, when I reduced the dosage I was hit with insomnia for around a week or so but fortunately managed to sleep well after that. Everything was fine.

Then he wanted me to be off of olanzapine completely. So he instructed me to take half a pill of 2.5mg for 10 days and then to quit taking the half a pill entirely. When I was at the half a pill I was sleeping fine. Since 15 of April I'm completely off of olanzapine and I'm experiencing terrible insomnia, the first two days couldn't sleep at all and now I have troubles falling asleep but manage to sleep three hours a day ( I believe, I might be sleeping more, not sure). Also I don't know if it is because of the drug withdrawal but I was hit with a terrible itch all over my body ( legs, knees, behind my neck, hair, arm, hands, etc), the itch was so bad and I was so frustrated for not sleeping I had to take some drops of delorazepam to calm down and managed to sleep ( this happened only at the third day, only time I used benzos since quitting them).

Yesterday I decided to call my psychiatrist to have advices for sleeping better, in my mind I expected some supplement or whatever, but no he told me "to start taking olanzapine again immediately". I also told him about the itch all over my body and he told me it's not because of the drug since " you didn't have it when you were on it", but I wondered if it is because of the withdrawal not because of the drug but didn't ask him. I suggested to give some more time to see if things improve and I will contact him again otherwise.

To be honest, I don't want to be back on olanzapine. In terms of mental wealth I'm feeling fine, I don't know if it's placebo, but seems like a fog has been lifted, I have more energy and I don't feel depressed, almost positive. Sure I'm not feeling too well phisically because I feel tired and a little "confused" especially today. Yesterday I had a car accident but fortunately nobody was harmed only the cars. I know this sound crazy, but I feel not too well phisically but good mentally, I believe that's a great thing for myself being out of the drugs. I hated being on them for all these years.

Do you have advices for improving the insomnia? I'm taking magnesium, drops of somekind of natural supplement ( valerian and melatonin) and some infusion of natural herbs to help sleep. How long do you feel it will take to get better?

ps sorry for my bad english.

edit: just noticed I might have posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move the discussion in the correct forum.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title
  • ChessieCat changed the title to sogno: I need advice
  • Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, sogno said:

Do you have advices for improving the insomnia?

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

15 hours ago, sogno said:

drops of somekind of natural supplement ( valerian and melatonin) and some infusion of natural herbs to help sleep

valerian-root

melatonin-for-sleep

To search for SA's topics on the other ingredients in the supplement you can use the site search, or use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management