beconscious

Chinese food and MSG

beconscious

Moderator note -- See also: MSG? Food -- what to eat, what not to eat.

Recently I posted, after 2 years, that I pretty much was healed. Last Thursday I made the mistake of eating sushi (MSG) and found myself quickly sliding into a wave. Seriously?

Thursday night - heart beats quickly while I'm having a relaxing bath.

Friday the anxiety bursts forth while I'm sitting at my desk. I decide to ignore it.

Saturday I'm in full out dread mode with dips of depression. I have 1/4 glass of wine and it all goes away. Nausea. I enjoy 6 or 7 hours of peace. Go to sleep that night and wake with dread around midnight.

Sunday depression leaves and I'm left with slight dpdr, emotional numbness and cloudy thinking.

Monday just cloudy thinking.

Tuesday nausea and some clouded thinking but I take 125mg chelates magnesium and it all goes away but for remnants of slow thought.

Today I continued with 125mg of magnesium and felt more calm again and the symptoms have lightened further.

I have to fly to another site tomorrow for work so I'll be taking a 3rd magnesium then and hopefully by next week I'll be back to normal.

I forgot what these waves were like. The worst part is waking at 3am every morning and feeling like dread will kick in. I ignore it and force myself to go back to sleep.

I blame MSG. Back to clean eating. Thankful for magnesium.

Edited by scallywag
add link to related topic

alex

Very discouraging, isn't it...?

But for what I've read and learned in the forums,at 2 yrs off, waves are normal...

Hang in there,it will get better than before.

beconscious

Very discouraging and a real distraction from day to day life.

Tweeky

I'm a techno-single celled animal and this is my first time using a forum like this so can you tell me where I find your story of what you went through and got to the point of wellness (except for this recent wave).  I need the inspiration.  What is it that magnesium does that is so helpful?

Thank you so much and I hope that was your last wave. 

Altostrata

It was probably the soy sauce, watch out for this.

You may wish to look into a low-tyramine diet. If you are sensitive to tyramine, it can cause raises in blood pressure, heart rate, anxiety, and sleeplessness.

I recently developed this out of the blue. After avoiding tyramine-containing foods for a while, I can eat a little now.

PDF download http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/nutrition/154.html

http://www.dietinvestigation.com/diet-blog/?p=224

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/1300008.html

mm100

altostrata, you were developing new symptoms? I understood you to be fully recovered? but here I see you say you are developing new symptoms...

I also thought of soy sauce when I red this post, as I follow Monicas Beyond meds sites and she speaks of a histamine intolerance, which I may look into and its my uderstanding that soy sauce is very high in histamine

Altostrata

I am still hypersensitive to drugs and some foods (that part varies).

Rhiannon

MSG can be tricky too, and not just actual MSG, but the other sources of free glutamate. (The free glutamate is the "G" part and it's what gives the flavor enhancement.) There are lots of other additives which contain free glutamate but are not technically MSG, so foods can say "no MSG" but still have the same effect on people who are sensitive.

I became extremely sensitive to all forms of free glutamate when I was on high doses of Lamictal, but it seems to have gone back down to my usual mild sensitivity now.

Anyway, beconscious, I'm glad to hear you're doing better overall and sorry you got hit with this wave. Hopefully you're back on track now and will continue to do well!

Altostrata

Yeah.

There's a lot of overlap between high-histamine and high-tyramine foods.

beconscious

Thanks all. As I anticipated the wave has begun to subside. Only some cotton-head prevails. My sleep has been great. All else is good.

I suspected it was soy sauce, too. MSG opens calcium channels which is excitory and depletes the body of magnesium which is inhibitory. I scaled back the magnesium and just took half a powdered capsule the past few days. I think I'll stick with it a while longer. 3 weeks out from this I'll feel better than I ever have. That seems to be the cycle from most waves. It's been so very long since a bad wave. Maybe 5 months now. Once or twice a year isn't too bad at all!

beconscious

During this recent wave I had to fly for work.  The last time I flew was last May or June and it made me feel terrible. I probably wrote about it in my journal here.  I was a nervous wreck then and just felt like I was having trouble coping for the whole day.

This past weekend I got on a plane for a short 2 day trip to another office.  I could see myself getting nervous, but only once I was on the plane. Then I watched as I was able to talk myself down and enjoy the flight.  Although it took some energy and had an effect on me it was nowhere near as taxing as last year.  By the time I returned home I was even better.  Watching the brain adapt to stress and using the tools we have to address unreasonable mammalian-brain fear is just amazing. Of course talking through it was accompanied by about 60mg of Magnesium Chelate.  That stuff is awesome.

As I sit here this Sunday evening I have only plugged ears (probably flight related) and the cotton-brain is clearing up. Looking forward to next week, and the week after.

I enjoyed a hatha yoga class this morning and I found it to be a bit too stimulating (as in my nervous system seemed to be firing), although this is the first day in 5 or 6 that I haven't taken any magnesium (I just realized this now and so the calmness I'm enjoying this evening is authentic).

Jemima

I consider myself 99% recovered, but I still can't handle caffeine and became unable to eat peanuts during withdrawal.  I'm afraid to try the peanuts again since I got so very sick from them months ago.  Big surprise.  Prior to antidepressants I used to make a meal out of sourdough pretzel nuggets, peanut butter and fruit when I can home too wiped out from my job to cook.

I'm not sure if I've had any MSG in a while.  I often go out for Chinese food, but a lot of Chinese restaurants are no longer using MSG because so many people are sensitive to it.  I use an organic, non-GMO certified soy sauce at home, San-J Organic Tamari, which is made from soy (rather than wheat) and is gluten-free. It's possible that you were also reacting to the gluten in some soy sauces that are made from wheat.

beconscious

I was just thinking about my last wave back in May of this year.  It certainly was inspired by soya sauce and MSG.  I haven't had sight of a symptom since then.  All has been going quite well.  Thought I would login and leave this note.

oskcajga

So I decided to have some Chinese food for dinner last night and almost immediately got foggy headed and my skin started to feel numb and many of my withdrawal symptoms got worse.  This lasted all night and through most of the day today, and is now like 244hours later mostly gone.  I'm assuming there was a crap load of MSG in the Chinese food, because it tasted salty and rich, in spite of just being a noodle or a soup.

Anyone else have this hypersensitivity to MSG?  I never used to get bothered by the stuff, and used to actively consume it because I thought it made food taste awesome.  Now I guess I can't eat it?

I don't even understand how this could be possible, MSG is just an amino acid with a sodium molecule attached to it, how the heck could it affect me so strongly for so long? 

Very frustrated.

Petunia