SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marsha: can I taper off geodon before gabapentin?

Marsha

• Administrator

Thank you, Marsha. Did you get the capsules and liquid?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I wonder if you have to take the liquid with food. If you don't eat at least 400 calories with the capsule it's like 50% effective.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

No Altostrata I didn't get the liquid yet. I am working with just the capsules and the scale until I see my doctor. Then we'll go from there.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

I'm not sure what is happening. As long as I don't change anything I am ok. But as soon as I try to taper the geodon I get insomnia. Also a factor to consider is that I tapered trazodone 450 mgs from october 2014 to 0 in march 2015. But I'm not having any withdrawal syndrome. Do I just need to stay in a holding pattern for now?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Also yesterday I forgot to take my 5:00 pm dose of librium and had to take it at 8:00pm with my geodon and 600 mgs of gabapentin. I then had a paradoxical reaction to the librium. This happened when I took two 25 mg capsules of librium together. Librium has not been kind to me. Also I had to take benadryl to alleviate the akathisia from taking the librium with the other brakes. Then I fell asleep and woke up at 3:30am and had to take my third dose then. Then I couldn't go back to sleep. I'm wondering if the librium is causing the hyper-alerting. Maybe I can try to reduce the geodon again and just be sure not to take the librium at the same time. Can anyone identify the problem?

Do I just need to reduce the geodon and just wait to stabilize and not be so concerned about the initial sleep disturbances?

Because it is an anti-histamine, there will be sleep issues as withdrawal issues. So you just need to get reasonably steady again before the next cut. The antipsychotics directly affect multiple transmitter systems, and the action (or withdrawal) kicks in at various doses as the affinity is not equal for all of them. So the withdrawal pattern changes over time. And you are right, at least according to Wikipedia, that the bioavailability changes with food, whether using solid or liquid drug. So you need to keep a steady pattern in relation to meals. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

How many nights did you have the sleep problem with this latest Geodon reduction?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you meimeiquest and Altostrata. I made the first cut on the 27th and slept eight hours. Last night I woke up at 3:30 am after five hours of sleep. I couldn't sleep anymore after I woke up. So I should expect to have some sleep disturbances when I make cuts?

• Administrator

That could be because of the irregularity in your Librium dosing.

To ascertain whether something is a pattern, see if it happens at least 3 times the same way.

It sounds like the decrease in Geodon has not been a problem so far.

Hello everyone. Let's keep getting off these terrible drugs no matter what order we have to do it in. My addiction Dr reduced my librium from 75 mgs to 50 mgs on July 2. I had only reduced the geodon for one day so I had to go back up to 80 mgs. The librium was causing akathisia (rare but possible) and was severely affecting my memory. So the Dr said once I am stable at 50 mgs of librium then we can begin to alternate tapering of the geodon and the librium. How do I do that without being on a dosage too long?

• Administrator

How are you doing with the Librium decrease, Marsha?

Did this reduction help the akathisia?

What schedule did the addiction doctor give you for tapering the 2 drugs?

Unfortunately, tapering means you do stay on the drugs for a while -- but the dosage keeps decreasing, as should adverse effects.

Hello Altostrata and thank you. So far no withdrawal symptoms. The reduction in dosage helped immensely. Also I am much more clear headed. She wasn't specific about tapering the two drugs but I did tell her that I had to reduce the geodon by 10% per month. She was okay with that. But she will want me to taper the librium more quickly possibly every two weeks. She said it's better to get off the librium before I develop a psychologic dependence on it since I have only been on it for a month. Maybe I will have to taper it first as the benzodiazepines have taken a severe roll on my memory and cognitive function.

• Administrator

That is a common side effect of benzos.

I understand your doctor's reasoning. I hope that rate of reduction works for you.

If you can recommend this doctor for tapering, please add her contact information here http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. This is what has transpired. My thyroid panel showed I am taking too much levothyroxin so it was reduced to 100mcg. Also, after the addiction Dr reduced the librium I have been having insomnia. So I got her to give me some 10mg capsules so when I can't go to sleep I can take 60mgs instead of 50 mgs so I can sleep. Every time she reduces the benzodiazepine first the clonazepam and now the librium to the equivalent of the 1mg of clonazepam I get insomnia. It's because I need approximately 60 mgs of librium to sleep because the geodon causes insomnia. And she has this idea to transition me from taking it at night to taking it in the morning. Also I have been reading about the adhedonia that other members are experiencing.This side effect has been affecting me for ten years. I now realize why I have it. So I'm not going to do what she wants. I am going to start reducing the geodon until I get to approximately 40 mgs and then alternate between the geodon and the librium.(I hope) it's disgusting to have to choose which one to taper when both are causing debilitating side effects.

• Administrator

I am confused about what you're taking now and how you've reduced them or swapped them.

Please list all the drugs you're taking now and what you've done with them in the last 2 weeks.

Hello Altostrata and thank you. The only changes made were to the levothyroxin and the librium. Please see my signature. The addiction Dr wants me to change from taking geodon in the evening to the morning. And she only wants me to take the 60mgs of librium only every three days and take 50 mgs the rest of the time. NOT! She is obsessed with getting me off the librium first when in fact I need it for sleep because the geodon causes insomnia if I don't take at least 60 mgs of librium. So after my sleep stabilizes I am going to reduce the geodon. The psychiatrist who prescribes the geodon will allow me to taper the geodon first. I think I will stop seeing the addiction Dr and only see the psychiatrist. It's been a big mistake seeking treatment from the addiction Dr. Just a real mess. What more can I do? My husband and I are both disabled so it's very difficult to find a doctor who takes our insurance.

• Administrator

Addiction doctors would be focused on what they think are "addictive" drugs, i.e. benzos.

Yes, you need a more balanced approach. Good to hear you've adjusted the thyroid medication, that's important.

Urgent! I think I'm having protracted withdrawal syndrome from withdrawal from trazodone too fast. I took my last trazodone pill on February 22 2015. I was fine until around June 1. Then I was having trouble withdrawing from clonazepam and was switched to librium. During the day I'm ok but when around 8:30 rolls around I get anxious and panic sets in. This happens when I taper to below 50 mgs of librium. Trazodone and geodon have a major drug interaction which is why I tapered off trazodone. I don't know if it's safe to reinstate a small amount to help or how much to reinstate to help with the insomnia I get when trying to reduce the librium or the geodon. I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thank you.

Wow. I really don't think I can reinstate trazodone. I had sleep difficulty and anxiety during the day while I was on it. Also I can't be on trazodone if my blood pressure gets high again because the combination of geodon trazodone Benz and gabapentin made me gain weight that didn't stop until I was off the trazodone. I am going to have to endure withdrawal syndrome and continue to get off the geodon or librium which is helping with the withdrawal syndrome.

• Administrator

Marsha, I have to say the way your drugs interact is too complicated for me, but you seem to have a handle on it, which is good.

Are you sure you are not having rebound anxiety from the benzo? Discuss here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

If you think the trazodone helps you sleep, it's possible a very low dose, maybe even 5mg, might do the trick without bringing on the adverse effects. For titrating trazodone, see Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

I think you might be right Altostrata and thank you. What I am experiencing is rebound panic from taking away the clonazepam. The panic only happens at night which is when I had panic attacks before being put on benzodiazepines in 1997. The librium barely prevents a full blown panic attack. This is really the only symptom I'm having except for the interrupted sleep patterns which I believe is due to non-sedating of the geodon. When the sleep help from the librium is reduced to 50 mgs then sleep breaks up. Geodon causes insomnia for a lot of people including me. So the geodon is next on the list to go. I just have to be firm with the prescribing doctor about the tapering procedure. I couldn't figure out how to post on the benzo forum.

• Administrator

To start a topic in the benzo forum, click on the big black Start New Topic button in the upper right.

Yes, tapering Geodon while holding on the Librium seems logical to me.

I have a new doctor! She is open minded about slow tapers and wants more information about it. I have Dr Breggin's newest book, "Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal" and ordered the harm reduction guide to psychiatric drug withdrawal. I have read and know there are more information sources to show her but I don't know where to find them. Where do I find links to David Healy Will Hall etc? I think I might be able to recommend her for tapering once she has read all the information available. She is going to help me get off geodon in a way that is comfortable for me and she works in the same clinic as my addiction Dr. I know I can recommend the addiction Dr for benzodiazepines.

I think the pinned topic here on the 3 S's is one of the best articles on tapering safely. And this by Kelly Brogan http://kellybroganmd.com/article/stop-madness-coming-psych-meds/

Healy and Breggin have documented a lot about the dangers of psych meds, but there's not much out there on HOW to do it, especially the APs. Shipko authored a book on Xanax Withdrawal (that's the title, if I remember correctly) which really applies to all benzos and I personally believe is possibly superior to the Ashton Manual.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Kelly Brogan recommends careful nutrition for six months prior to starting. She has a lot of good stuff, kellybroganmd.com

56 years old

• Administrator

Good to hear, Marsha.

Breggin's Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal is not very informative. A better book is Joseph Glenmullen's The Antidepressant Solution or even Breggin's Your Drug May Be Your Problem.

See Recommended books on antidepressant withdrawal

• 2 weeks later...

Its been two weeks since I started my geodon taper. I had some panic the first few days but now I feel well all day. At night though I have fear that I won't be able to get off geodon. I have fear that I won't go to sleep but I always do go to sleep. I guess it's just reading about other members horror stories that upsets me. I have reduced by ten percent of 80 mgs and will see how I feel after a month. Hopefully I will be able to reduce again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping someone could help me figure out how much geodon I am taking. I have been trying to use a Gemini 20 digital scale but it is much to difficult for my damaged brain. According to the scale I am taking. .291 grams per day. I have read everything on this website about how to measure with a digital but I just don't understand anything. I was taking 80 milligram capsules. Could someone please tell me how much of a reduction from 80 milligrams I have made? I want to switch to liquid geodon for part of my dose. I made a mistake and measured out one capsule and took 10 percent off the one capsule which was. .333 grams. I took that much for three weeks per day. Then I located how to do it the right way. I still did it wrong.

So am now taking. .291 grams per day now. I am just so confused. Could someone help me figure out how many milligrams of geodon I am taking? I appreciate any help.

The .291 grams is the weight of the powder. Very confused.

Ok. So I figured out how much geodon I am taking in milligrams. Thank you Altostrata that I found in the tapering section.

• Administrator

How much are you taking now? How do you feel?

Hi Altostrata. I am taking 67 mgs of geodon. I feel so much better. I have had no withdrawal symptoms except for a few butterflies in my stomach but it was at the beginning of my taper on 7.22.15 a few days into the first reduction. Please see my signature. I dropped to 67 mgs on 8.15.15 and have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms. I am eager to reduce again but will give it a few more weeks. The geodon has been an activating drug for me and now that I reduced just 13 mgs I feel much more calm. Just hoping I can eventually reduce every week. But I am being safe and starting out slowly. I hope this helps someone else. Thank you so very much Altostrata for this website and your continued efforts to learn and help us heal.

Oh yes and the weight of the powder is .300 grams which is 67 mgs. I didn't take .291 which I said in my earlier posts which would have been too large of a taper from .333 grams which was 74 mgs.

Hi Altostrata. I am taking 67 mgs of geodon. I feel so much better. I have had no withdrawal symptoms except for a few butterflies in my stomach but it was at the beginning of my taper on 7.22.15 a few days into the first reduction. Please see my signature. I dropped to 67 mgs on 8.15.15 and have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms. I am eager to reduce again but will give it a few more weeks. The geodon has been an activating drug for me and now that I reduced just 13 mgs I feel much more calm. Just hoping I can eventually reduce every week. But I am being safe and starting out slowly. I hope this helps someone else. Thank you so very much Altostrata for this website and your continued efforts to learn and help us heal.

just wanted to make sure everyone saw this post.

• Administrator

Okay. Good to see you've got a handle on your taper and it's working.