SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ashbash30: PGAD newcomer

Ashbash30

Hi Ashbash,

You are young, please be careful taking more antidepressants.

It is a bit worrying that you have been prescribed Ad's since 8 years of age.

Has it helped you at all?

I am not sure about Mirtazapine helping me in regards to PGAD.

I think I got better on my own over time.

Mitrazapine has not helped me with other issues.

I really like your attitude. You don't seem to concern about PGAD, it is a good way to be.

I could use your upbeat nature, from time to time. :)

I would not try Lyrica, some people have had bad experience with it. Of course we are all different.

Have you done exposure therapy for OCD? Cheers, Hopefull :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashbash30

• Fresh

• Broken

• Hopefull

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Abash, I also had PGAD, I got it 3 months after  child birth, I had twins. By me it manifested itself so, that the genital feeling simply did not go away. I could not achieve orgasm, it stayed always somewhere in the middle and did not switch off. It took more than one year, actually one and a half year, and it went a lot better. Now it does not worry me anymore. But once it drove me crazy. I would not recommend Lyrica, I took it and now I have really big problems to taper off of it. Much bigger than with PGAD.

Martina

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Lol Fresh, you're funny.. :) I still don't think I know how to do that, haha.. But will try to figure it out too! Thanks so much for the links!

Hopefull, thank you.. The reason my nature is upbeat is bc I've been dealing with a lot of health problems.. It makes you stronger girl. When I first had my vestibulodynia onset, I was completely freaked out and grew very sad. I was in NH at the time and no gynos thought I had a yeast infection (sorry to the boys on this forum lol.) But it was never a yeast infection and doctors were shooting in the dark in terms of what I had. It was more than frustrating. I think the education on the pain syndromes and talkin to you guys, gives me motivation, because as a person with OCD, we want to get to the bottom of everything! Haha.. What's so cool about this forum is we're not only talkin about our physical pain, but also strategies to help with our OCD. Exposure and cognitive behavior therapy I am adamant about starting. It's time for therapy witb a GOOD psychologist, who knows their **** on this. I reside in philly.. Where do you reside if you don't mind me asking, Hopefull.. :) Take care.

I mean all the gynos thought it was a yeast infection* Sorry typo.. (And sorry to the dudes out there again for mentioning the word yeast again.. ????)

Hopefull, I know we're all scared of the AD at this point, but look up trycyclic antidepressants. You will see their use and their function is to calm the nerves down.. Gabapentin is another one too. Your PGAD has went into remission so you don't need to take anything. OCD is a battle in itself as you and I both know. They're studying other cutting edge medications for OCD that doesn't involve the scary ssri at all. Yes, with any new drug that comes out, there's a risk. But I think my interest lies in really understanding the physical mechanics of the ocd brain, bc as you prob already know, people with OCD's brain activity looks different than a person with "normal" brain activity.. However! OCD and above average intelligence is linked. That's prob why everyone feels slightly "dumber" on the SSRI's. Ha.

Thanks Martina.. I have a question for anyone about the wean/taper off Zoloft. What if I decrease by 15 or 20 mgs a week ?? Thanks in advance all.. And I really cannot wait to get off this drug, bc it threw me into a manic episode, which I'm still having right now, along with the discomfort. I did not know I was acting and feeling manic until I started recognizing people's reactions towards me (not you guys,) my family, my shrink, etc. it's been building and today I feel so hyper and so high energy/revved up, I understand bipolar disorder now.. I've always dated bipolar dudes, fell "in love" with them, got obsessed with them, and wondered how I could help them so they could love me back. My behavior sums up classic OCD, but the Zoloft is making my energy levels increase. It's weird bc I've always been attracted to these guys' high energies. And that is what bipolar is. High and low energy levels alternating, causing a stressing effect on mood. I'm so glad I came to a psychology break-through, but hating the mania induced by the Zoloft.. I thought the higher doses are supposed to make you feel less anxious and obsessional.. Okay help! Xo

Hi Fresh :) I'm still learning how to use the forum.. I responded to you, but cannot find it in correct sequence on the forum.. So thank you for the links.. And I have to learn how to copy and paste, I still don't know how to do that lol.. Thanks again Fresh.. ☺️

You're from Philly Ash? I'm watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia at the moment and it may just be the funniest thing I've ever seen!

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

Broken, I love that show so much !! And binge watched it while I was actually weaning off lexapro.. Their voices were stuck in my head for a week straight afterwards, haha! How are you feelin?

~ Ash

Fresh.. You sent me a few links yesterday or the day before and I can't find them on the forum.. I know it's here somewhere, but I'm new to the forum.. Since you like to copy and paste, do you think you can recopy and repaste the links for me.. Thanks Fresh. Hope everyone has a good weekend.. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

They're back on page 1 , post no. 36   :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh.. I got it! Also, today I start the wean down the Zoloft. Is 87.5 mgs a slow enough taper from 100 mgs? Thanks guys and girls in advance.. Xo

• Moderator Emeritus

Ash , the recommended decrease is 10% of your current dose - no more.   Go to the Tapering section and read the thread

"Why Taper By 10%  and "What Is Withdrawal".

Hopefully the decrease will take the edge off your raciness within a few days :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you Fresh! So if I start the taper at 87.5 mgs from 100 mgs (Zoloft,) I'm close enough to the 10% rule, right?

Sweet Dee, 100 mg is equivalent to 20mg of Prozac more or less, I'd switch and taper from Prozac (just my opinion).

If you open a Prozac capsule you'll find it's filled with tiny beads, easier to count out and gradually reduce than to try and chop up Zoloft accurately.

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

Hi Ashbash,

I am from Australia. What is the new OCD medication that you have mentioned in your post. My OCD has been worse for the last 2 days. I so desperate that I took a benzo, and I have not taken one since January. Since Ad's I have become so sensitive to everything. I am paying the price for it today. Sorry to talk about this on your thread.

It is a good decision that you have made in regards to weaning of Zoloft, especially if it is making you manic. Has Zoloft helped you with OCD? Wean off it slowly to avoid wd symptoms. Speaking from personal experience. It is great that you are going to seek help for OCD.

I started the exposure therapy than stopped.

I am starting to obsess over things again and feel so anxious about being anxious.

Have you heard of inositol? It is supposed to help with obsessions and Anxiety. You are right that people with OCD tend to want to get to the bottom of things. I hope you follow the advice here and tapper Zoloft slowly. You don't want to create more anxiety. Hopefull :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hopefull.. I just want to say it is so awesome you are from Australia, and I feel as if you're my long-lost sister lol.. :) I started reading this forum and your posts were the ones I was most attracted to. We seem to be very similar as we share the same disorder. The cool thing about you is how open you are to talk about it.. And I can relate to that too. I'm not familiar with the benzos. Like Broken, I've been on Prozac, I've been on Lexapro, Cymbalta, now Zoloft. I've tried Anafranil and Luvox too, but noticed the therapeutic effect was taking quite a while. Before Zoloft, Anafranil, and Luvox, I was only familiar with Prozac, Lexapro, and Cymbalta. Cymbalta is the only SNRI I've ever taken, but it is not supposed to be the most effective for severe OCD, however I disagree. I always go back to Cymbalta, it also is used for chronic pain as well. For me, I felt the most like myself on it and it took the edge off my obsessions. I've read Cymbalta is very helpful for those with OCD. I'm aware of Cymbalta Withdrawl Syndrome but imagine it's no worse than getting off any of the other AD, especially compared to the SSRI's. Do you have compulsions as well? Or just obsessions? I have both obsessions and compulsions, and have been like that my whole life. Have you ever watched the show, "Girls" with Lena Dunham? She plays Hannah on the show. But she, herself, has OCD from childhood. She is hilarious and honest. Her writing is solid and the characters she created portraying the different girls, are classic. Unlike Sex and the City, Lena Dunham takes her disorder and uses it to tell a story in a creative but honest and funny way.. You should listen to the interview between her and Howard Stern, who also admits to having OCD bathroom rituals. She openly talks about her OCD and how it's affected her life. I think you'll find it very interesting and truly inspiring. I'll look for the link on the web and try to post it on here !! Cheers.. :)

Hopefull.. I have not heard of inositol, but just read up on it a little. It sounds great! Have you tried it ??? My dad bought me the NAC supplement at the store (GNC) the other day, which works on the neurotransmitter associated with glutamate, another link to obsessional thinking.. Have you heard of NAC? Cheers :)

Hi Everyone! Has anyone (girls) taken birth control pills to help with their PGAD symptoms? Thanks in advance.. :)

Hi All,

Hope you are all feeling well today. Question.. What would the Zoloft to Celexa cross taper look like if I'm currently taking 75 mgs of Zoloft (pill form) ?

Thank you in advance.. :)

• Administrator

Ash, I moved your question here. Your entire recent history is going to be important to the answer.

For what purpose do you want to make this switch?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata.. I'm experiencing PGAD symptoms while on the Zoloft 75 mgs (pill form.) I started the wean down from 100 mgs to 87.5 mgs a couple weeks ago and just started the 75 mgs today. I've always liked Lexapro, as I am a life-long ocd sufferer and have a severe case. I'm 30. Celexa, as you know Altostrata, is Lexapro's big sister, and has more of a dosage range than Lexapro. I've always wanted to try Celexa and compare it to Lexapro. I understand I have to match the mgs of the Zoloft I'm currently taking with the equal equivalency to Celexa's mgs. I'm very interested in the "bridging" concept or the cross taper, bc I don't want to experience ocd withdraw symptoms, as the Zoloft is in fact, helping my obsessive compulsive disorder. Thank you in advance.. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

That's asking for trouble ash - you've gone down 25% in a "couple weeks".

You need to take around 4 weeks to stabilize after a 10% drop.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I've been on and off all the SSRI's with the exception of Paxil over the past year. And I've been on one SNRI (Cymbalta) a few times. I've been on and off SSRI's my whole life, needing them for periods of stress and ocd behaviors. Lexapro helped me a lot through my early adult life and college years. Prozac was the first SSRI I ever tried and it helped me in ways I couldn't even understand.. It was 1993 and I was 8 years old. Please don't give me a lecture about how harmful antidepressants are to the human body. I do not feel like entertaining a lecture, and it would be pointless anyway. Sorry for the tude.. :/ The Zoloft gives me more sass. Hope everyone is learning a lot from this forum.. I know I am.. :)

This is why I want to cross taper, bridge from Zoloft to Celexa. The taper rule would take close to a full year, and I'm sorry but that's ridiculous, and no one has time for that, when you have a real mental illness. Again, not looking for a lecture here, just some helpful advice for the Zoloft to Celexa cross taper? Altostrata, can you help me with this please ??? Thanks :)

• Administrator

As this is a site for going off drugs, we don't advise on drug switches for the purpose of continuing.

It is possible to have withdrawal syndrome from one antidepressant even when taking another antidepressant. Past history of easy switches is no guarantee of future success.

See our topic on the Prozac switch or Google for information about cross-tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Okay, bc I'm actually not looking to wean completely off SSRI. Just switch from one SSRI to another, as carefully and slowly, within practical means, as I can.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's right , four weeks as opposed to two.  I know you've been on meds. forever , but after this many years having longer holds

is smoother and safer.   I've been sitting for 6 to 8 weeks between drops after experiencing a terrible delayed withdrawal reaction in

2014.    You have many years ahead of you , and decreasing isn't a race to the finish.  

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg