SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Peter Gotzscke Melbourne Talk

JanCarol

• Moderator Emeritus

Peter Gotzschke recently came to Australia, and toured around our cities, lecturing sometimes 3-5 times in each major city.

He had an important message to bring, and his reputation preceded him - lots of pdocs came, and other care providers.

Some of the pdocs argued with him (in Brisbane) about the value of "forced treatment" and neuroleptics, insisting that the benefit of these drugs "saved lives."

Here is the Melbourne talk:

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

This is a really excellent video.  This should be required viewing for anyone going through a bad ssri effect.  Probably should be required viewing for anyone over the age of 8 in the US and Europe.

"After 5  years, 45% of patients are still on the drug".  Holy moly, that has to be some sort of ridiculous record.   That's pretty scary, tragic information right there. 

In contrast, after 5 years only 5% of alcoholics haven't relapsed. 

These sort of videos have basically convinced me that the FDA does absolutely nothing for consumers.  Dr. Healy's videos also seem to corroborate this fact.  The FDA is basically nothing more than an arm of the pharmaceutical company.  The level of corruption is just ridiculous.

The situation with suicides is really just disgusting. 

It's sort of amazing that financial compensation can make people who work for pharmaceutical companies willing to kill and injure hundreds of thousands of people.  I'd be willing to be that MOST American families have been adversely affected by pharmceutical companies.  How much pain and suffering have these companies caused American families?  It's just baffling.

I'm just baffled at how my entire life can be explained by this guy in one seminar.  ADHD, meds, bad parents, etc etc etc, then the bad effects and all of my gullibility issues with psychiatrists.  I'm just extremely relieved that I saw the video, it's great to see a professional speaking up about these serious issues.

This professor is sort one of my heroes right now.  He's blunt, intelligent, and correct.

• 4 weeks later...

"gullibility issues with psychiatrists"

I was absolutely gullible too. I no fears or worries about the pills. I'm trying to recall what I thought about side effects. "In rare cases, violence and mania..." or words to that effect. "Rare cases" means "someone else," I guess.

I'm glad he went down to Aus. If just one country sees the light, the rest might come around...US will be last.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

I would love for Gotzsche to spend some time on this site.

Lets introduce him to Songbird then he will have known of another doing a '7' yr taper. That would double it to two. In his book he seemed ...im inferring and reading between the lines here....unaware of tapers over a 1 yr period.

however i think he is now getting his taper paradigm rocked. And thats a good thing. Even in the Maudsley debate he finished with 'we need tapering clinics' !

Go go go Gotzsche!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I just watched another talk by him just last year:

and he also answers questions in this video from the same conference:

In these talks he seems very frustrated at Bertel Rudinger (a pharmacist) and Olga Runciman (psychologist & survivor) and their slow tapering.

Goetzsche wants to see people off their neuroleptics as quickly as possible because he is so afraid of the damage they are doing.

But Runciman and Rudinger insist that, even in the face of this, it is essential to go slowly.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy