btdt

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery - a video

btdt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQtO6HXJfjw

I am not sure where to put this so I will put it here and let the moderators decide.  I found it informative and especially liked the rubic cube analogy... I think it would be most useful to those just starting out but nice for us all to see.  I believe it was made by people who have been there as who else would know and who else would care enough to bother making a video. 

GiaK

that's a good video for those of us with protracted issues...not everyone has this pattern however...and improvements are more obvious...

I like to remind people that not everyone suffers from protracted withdrawal...if we don't understand that then we risk losing credibility. 

generalizing too broadly about something that only happens to some of us isn't a good idea in my opinion...

mattinsmom

The Rubik's Cube is an absolutely brilliant analogy.  Thank you.

Meimeiquest

That was really descriptive.

My husband keeps telling that I need to stop thinking about this. I don't so much feel like I am a Rubix cube, more like that I have a Rubix cube in my hands that I have to solve, that I can never put down mentally.

mattinsmom

I don't think I could stop thinking about it. For 40+ years things beyond my control (and consent) happened to my body and brain. I'm a curious type anyway and like to know how things work. I want to know what got messed up, how it changed my development, and what repair is going to look and be like.

But, like I said, I'm always trying to figure everything out. Growing up I was always told "Amy you think too much. Just let it be". I couldn't stop then either :) fav channels: history channel, discovery channel, national geographic, etc. It's a pattern. I love to learn.

Meimeiquest

How many times my husband has said, "we've just got to stop that little head of yours from thinking so much."

btdt

"YOU got a mind of your own"  like that is a bad thing. 

I would not worry too much about what other people think they have a lot of other videos out check them out.  Every one of them  like.  The rubics cube is the best way I have heard it described yet and goes hand in hand with what I learned readling Patricia Chruchland's book this is how the brain works so of course this is how it heals.   All quite brilliant I wish we could get her to comment on this healing pattern that would be awesome to hear. 

btdt

that's a good video for those of us with protracted issues...not everyone has this pattern however...and improvements are more obvious...

I like to remind people that not everyone suffers from protracted withdrawal...if we don't understand that then we risk losing credibility. 

generalizing too broadly about something that only happens to some of us isn't a good idea in my opinion...

I understand you don't like it and why but for me it is a breath of fresh air after all this time underground with no air at all it is refreshing to see some people are putting my personal truth out there... I am not alone and this video proves it a great moral boost to me at least... and I am sure to others who are living it. 

Credibility with whom???? all those who don't believe us anyway who have turned blind eye and deaf ear to us year after year...those people I could not care less about. They will never hear us never believe us anyway... I am done wasting my time on them. 

GiaK

sorry...I look at all this stuff with the eye of an editor because of my work. My readers are not only victims of protracted withdrawal...they are a very broad audience from all cross sections of life...and plenty of folks who've taken drugs and NOT had protracted withdrawal issues when they've come off psych meds...so I can't post something like that without making it clear that it doesn't represent everyone coming off drugs...and if I did it would be irresponsible as well as hurting credibility since it is not a universal experience....that's all.

I understand the importance of validation and I'm sorry if I dampened that.

Altostrata

Very well done. Thank you.

btdt

I still think it is and important video to be made and to tell the truth... others who don't have protracted withdrawal can tell there experience till the cows come home it would not bother me one bit... we don't agree

btdt

sorry...I look at all this stuff with the eye of an editor because of my work. My readers are not only victims of protracted withdrawal...they are a very broad audience from all cross sections of life...and plenty of folks who've taken drugs and NOT had protracted withdrawal issues when they've come off psych meds...so I can't post something like that without making it clear that it doesn't represent everyone coming off drugs...and if I did it would be irresponsible as well as hurting credibility since it is not a universal experience....that's all.

Is your blog your work? I did not know that....I thought you were just one of us who started a blog about her experiences during withdrawal... I have read many of your articles am a subscriber... or was.  I am curious how do you get paid....are you paid only thru the books sold on your site???

I did not think blogs were jobs I thought they were interests people had and they wrote about what they wanted.

I have no idea who your other non withdrawal readers are this is a withdrawal site not a blog... 

Nobody asked you to post the video on your blog... what is this really about it is not making any sense to me..

If you want to post it and make it clear it is not every ones experience go ahead and do that or don't post it at all???

I just said I liked it as it represented my experience that's all

Since I did quit antidepressants before this and did not have protracted withdrawal there is a chance those who got off it easy before would have protracted withdrawal the second or third time... I have read of other people who have said the same thing.. they had no problem with the first or second drug they quit but the last one they had protracted withdrawal. 

Maybe it would be a public service a warning of sorts of what may happen... wish I had known it was possible I had no clue. 

Part of informed consent...if only to those who are going to get it...not the ones who won't. 

btdt

Very well done. Thank you.

To my mind the question begs to be in asked what of those who do have protracted withdrawal?  What are their rights?  What of those who are going to get protracted withdrawal in the future who are in my humble opinion not much made aware of the possibility.... what of all of these people.  

Are we to be silenced not given a voice? In fear of losing credibility. 

I am not sure about the others who have short term issues with these drugs I am not one of them.  I can guess the long term followers will those with protracted withdrawal the ones needing the most help would also be those most affected and to my mind they are also the ones who have protracted withdrawal. 

So this is a problems and I would like both you and Alto to tell me what you thinking is on this subject please. 

btdt

To my mind the question begs to be in asked what of those who do have protracted withdrawal?  What are their rights?  What of those who are going to get protracted withdrawal in the future who are in my humble opinion not much made aware of the possibility.... what of all of these people.  

Are we to be silenced not given a voice? In fear of losing credibility. 

I am not sure about the others who have short term issues with these drugs I am not one of them.  I can guess the long term followers will those with protracted withdrawal the ones needing the most help would also be those most affected and to my mind they are also the ones who have protracted withdrawal. 

So this is a problems and I would like both you and Alto to tell me what you thinking is on this subject please. 

GiaK

I've been singing from the rooftops for years about  the toxic and dangerous nature of these drugs...I'm hardly silent. And it's very important that I be aware of and speak to all the nuances involved in the entire population that uses psych drugs...it's not black and white and never will be. Acknowledging that reality helps with credibility and thus helps with our cause. It supports us to be sure to speak to and acknowledge that our plight is not shared by everyone but that it is a dangerous risk (one most often not worth taking) that must be recognized. 

btdt

I've been singing from the rooftops for years about  the toxic and dangerous nature of these drugs...I'm hardly silent. And it's very important that I be aware of and speak to all the nuances involved in the entire population that uses psych drugs...it's not black and white and never will be. Acknowledging that reality helps with credibility and thus helps with our cause. It supports us to be sure to speak to and acknowledge that our plight is not shared by everyone but that it is a dangerous risk (one most often not worth taking) that must be recognized. 

I guess having "our cause" defined might be a start.  I think protracted withdrawal would have to be included in my cause since that is what I live any cause without it would not include me.

GiaK

that's implicit in what I said, yes

Rhiannon

bt, it's okay. Nobody is delegitimizing your concerns. Alto and Gia are two of the Internet's most staunch defenders of the concerns of people with protracted withdrawal and they understand about the seriousness and validity of the condition itself. They are both survivors of it themselves and they both, as far as I know, feel very strongly about it.

I think Gia was just making a point about the video not being true for everyone. Those of us who have had more problems with withdrawal sometimes forget that it's not that way for everyone, and I think she just meant to be inclusive.

And I get the impression that it sounded to you maybe like she was saying that PW was somehow not valid or not important. I am absolutely certain she doesn't say that or believe it.

Discounting the suffering and importance of protracted withdrawal is definitely not part of the agenda of this forum nor of anyone who has posted in this thread.

GiaK

yes, given I was bedridden for 2 years (not even able to sit upright) and continue recovery a good 10 years into the process of withdrawal, I do know all about protracted withdrawal.

thanks, Rhi  :P

btdt

bt, it's okay. Nobody is delegitimizing your concerns. Alto and Gia are two of the Internet's most staunch defenders of the concerns of people with protracted withdrawal and they understand about the seriousness and validity of the condition itself. They are both survivors of it themselves and they both, as far as I know, feel very strongly about it.

I think Gia was just making a point about the video not being true for everyone. Those of us who have had more problems with withdrawal sometimes forget that it's not that way for everyone, and I think she just meant to be inclusive.

And I get the impression that it sounded to you maybe like she was saying that PW was somehow not valid or not important. I am absolutely certain she doesn't say that or believe it.

Discounting the suffering and importance of protracted withdrawal is definitely not part of the agenda of this forum nor of anyone who has posted in this thread.

The video spoke to me as a good representation of what my withdrawal has been I thought it valid.

That is why I started this thread. 

It cannot be used on the Beyond Meds Thread under a title of protracted withdrawal because it is her site and she thinks people will think she is saying all withdrawal is protracted and like the video 

completely her choice fine by me she can do as she pleases

Tho I do think people could distinguish the difference between protracted and not protracted... it is her choice her site my opinion does not count on her site I know that and again am fine with it.

Rhi I completely understood all this before I read your last post... I am not as new to this as you may suspect. 

Prestorb

Thanks btdt, I like that. And needed the encouragement today.

freespirit

This is great btdt. It's simply explained, but covers the subject very well...a good thing to come back to.

oskcajga

I found the video to be marginally helpful, only in the sense that someone else out there is experiencing what I'm going through.  I've also been reading about this **** for about 2 years now, so I have a much better understanding about it than newbies.  This is a great video for newbies.  What I found to be actually helpful was the website where the video came from: http://toxicantidepressants.fr/index.html

Highly recommended, pretty good resource.

Mort81

The video is very good. The site was also very reassuring. I want to get back to my old self but I can't be mad that its not happening as fast as I want. This is my biggest struggle . I miss being able to exert myself. One day soon it will happen