SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hair loss, poor condition, body hair, excessive hair growth

ruby

I have also read that Evening Primrose Oil and MSM are good for female hair loss. The EPO doesn't so much facilitate hair growth as much as it slows the shedding. The MSM is the one that is supposed to make your hair grow faster and thicker. Of course, I'm too scared to try either.

My doctor recently prescribed me Spironolactone for my hair loss. It's a drug that is used to lower high blood pressure, but it also has anti androgenic properties so it is used for female hormone issues caused by high testosterone or androgen sensitivity (acne, hair loss, hirsuitism, all of which I have.) But, like with most meds/supplements, I am terrified to take it. Especially since the worst crash I've ever had occurred right after starting birth control pills. Ever since then I've been wary of anything that messes with my hormones significantly. However, vanity is also a powerful influence.

Thanks for posting this ladybug.  I was going to try Evening Primrose for something else, and had forgotten that.  If I do I'll post the results.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

This is mainly for the guys, i was never extremly hairy on my face and chest but since 5 yrs ago when i quit the  SSRI i feel like i have alot more hair growing on my chest and stomach area, and even my arms, anyone have this and can ssris or SSRI WITHDRAWAL CAUSE THIS?

I've noticed this too. Especially on my arms, chest and stomach. I chalked it up to me just getting older (I'm 34), so thought maybe it was a coinicidence...and maybe it is. But I was never a super hairy guy either...now I feel like a sasquatch.

Started Lexapro (escitalopram) 10mg in 2009 for general depression/mild anxiety.

Stopped taking Lexapro in August of 2013 cold turkey.

Started having vertigo/dizziness in late January of 2014. Symptoms became worse over a few months. 

Re-instated Lexapro 10mg in June of 2014. Could only handle for a week before dropping down to 5mg.

Stopped taking Lexapro in March of 2015 and began taking Celexa 10mg.

Also taking topamax 25mg for headaches/migraines and losartan 25mg for high blood pressure.

That happened to me, too, and I'm a woman. I figure my hormones are out of balance.

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

• 3 weeks later...

This is happening to me as well. I've always been a bit hairier than the average woman, but my hair has gotten thicker and darker in some areas. I pluck my chin daily at this point. On the other hand, my head hair is falling out and has thinned out a lot. 

Last taper was off of Lamictal (Lamotrigine): Started drop from 225 mg in April 2014 by going down 25 mg every 2 weeks. Then to 12.5 mg every 3 weeks. Then 10 mg every 3 weeks. Then 5 mg after 3.5 weeks. (using the chewable, dispersible pills) I had gone down to 30 mg, but was far too sick and went back up to 35. I then dropped back down to 30 mg, then 1 mg drops until 25 mg. Dropped off completely at 25 mg because the symptoms from taking the pills were becoming more unbearable than the withdrawal at times. Completely off as of 5/11/15. Update 10/28/15: Reinstated 0.0625 mg, meant to take 0.25, measured wrong. Only took 2 days.

I've gotten off of: Abilify, PRN Klonopin (0.5-1 mg) - no taper as took it infrequently, and Effexor (300 mg). Abilify and Effexor were rapid tapers around the beginning of 2014. After tapering Effexor and Abilify I tried taking Remeron and Topamax for a short time with very bad side effects. (I have taken numerous psych drugs over the years (starting in my early teens), but these were the ones I was on when getting off completely).

On 2/9/15, received a Promethazine injection for nausea, which caused pain, numbness, burning, shooting pain and was prescribed pain meds (made me sick and didn't help), 5 days of Prednisone, and some sort of anti-inflammatory. I had been doing somewhat better with Lamictal taper until this point.

Current Supplements: Omega-3 with Co Q-10: 1000 mg x 2, Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips: 500 mg x 2, Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotics

Dx: Asperger Syndrome (originally misdiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD), GAD, and PTSD

what kind of time period are we looking at to recognise this please?

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

what kind of time period are we looking at to recognise this please?

DC.

My hair loss started maybe a couple of months off all meds. I'm not completely sure. I'm 8 months off now and it's still happening.

Last taper was off of Lamictal (Lamotrigine): Started drop from 225 mg in April 2014 by going down 25 mg every 2 weeks. Then to 12.5 mg every 3 weeks. Then 10 mg every 3 weeks. Then 5 mg after 3.5 weeks. (using the chewable, dispersible pills) I had gone down to 30 mg, but was far too sick and went back up to 35. I then dropped back down to 30 mg, then 1 mg drops until 25 mg. Dropped off completely at 25 mg because the symptoms from taking the pills were becoming more unbearable than the withdrawal at times. Completely off as of 5/11/15. Update 10/28/15: Reinstated 0.0625 mg, meant to take 0.25, measured wrong. Only took 2 days.

I've gotten off of: Abilify, PRN Klonopin (0.5-1 mg) - no taper as took it infrequently, and Effexor (300 mg). Abilify and Effexor were rapid tapers around the beginning of 2014. After tapering Effexor and Abilify I tried taking Remeron and Topamax for a short time with very bad side effects. (I have taken numerous psych drugs over the years (starting in my early teens), but these were the ones I was on when getting off completely).

On 2/9/15, received a Promethazine injection for nausea, which caused pain, numbness, burning, shooting pain and was prescribed pain meds (made me sick and didn't help), 5 days of Prednisone, and some sort of anti-inflammatory. I had been doing somewhat better with Lamictal taper until this point.

Current Supplements: Omega-3 with Co Q-10: 1000 mg x 2, Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips: 500 mg x 2, Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotics

Dx: Asperger Syndrome (originally misdiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD), GAD, and PTSD

I started to notice the excessive hair growth, especially on my neck and chin at about 6 months off. I'm almost 16 months off, now.

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been experimenting with natural remedies for dry , brittle hair , and have 2 amazing things to try.

One is adding rosemary essential oil to your shampoo. It makes each strand thicker and stronger. Add 3 drops to your regular amount.

The second is adding a 1/2 a teaspoon of gelatin to your shampoo , maybe once a week.

I use Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin ,see http://wellnessmama.com/7419/gelatin-uses/

“According to Nourishing Traditions and much of the information I’ve read from the Weston A. Price foundation, there are various health benefits to Gelatin, including:

- Supports skin, hair and nail growth

- Good for joints and can help joint recovery

- Can help tighten loose skin (like the kind you get after having four babies in five years…)

- Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track

- Rumored to help improve cellulite

- Great source of dietary collagen (side note: collagen is too large to be absorbed by the skin, so those skin creams are pretty useless… get it internally and use coconut oil for lotion!)

- Source of protein (though not a spectacular one) but its specific amino acids can help build muscle.”

Gelatin is largely composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don’t consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don’t consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth, but for optimal immune function and weight regulation!

Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing. Glycine in gelatin can also help improve sleep ease and quality"

I've been so happy with the effect on my hair that I added it to my long-hair chihuahua's shampoo.

Impressive , after just one shampoo :).

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with natural remedies for dry , brittle hair , and have 2 amazing things to try.

One is adding rosemary essential oil to your shampoo. It makes each strand thicker and stronger. Add 3 drops to your regular amount.

The second is adding a 1/2 a teaspoon of gelatin to your shampoo , maybe once a week.

I use Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin ,see http://wellnessmama.com/7419/gelatin-uses/

“According to Nourishing Traditions and much of the information I’ve read from the Weston A. Price foundation, there are various health benefits to Gelatin, including:

- Supports skin, hair and nail growth

- Good for joints and can help joint recovery

- Can help tighten loose skin (like the kind you get after having four babies in five years…)

- Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track

- Rumored to help improve cellulite

- Great source of dietary collagen (side note: collagen is too large to be absorbed by the skin, so those skin creams are pretty useless… get it internally and use coconut oil for lotion!)

- Source of protein (though not a spectacular one) but its specific amino acids can help build muscle.”

Gelatin is largely composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don’t consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don’t consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth, but for optimal immune function and weight regulation!

Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing. Glycine in gelatin can also help improve sleep ease and quality"

I've been so happy with the effect on my hair that I added it to my long-hair chihuahua's shampoo.

Impressive , after just one shampoo :).

Fresh,

I'm considering getting gelatin capsules now and will plan on adding some rosemary to my shampoo. Thanks for the suggestion! I hope it works!

• 2 months later...

Wow. I think maybe my hair has gotten thinner since withdrawal. I feel so unattractive already. I'm buying some supplements off of Amazon in hopes they help. I tried to go back on Lexapro after having just come off Cymbalta and Lamotragine since I'm having a recurrence of depression and anxiety. Then I started getting intrusive thoughts and found on the internet a link between Lexapro and losing hair. I wish I knew how to combat depression without having to go back on these things that are completely screwing up our brains and body.

On supplements currently...May 9 2016

Started Lamictal 50 mg for two weeks and of April 2016. Stopped again.

Tried Lexapro 5mg for a week in April 2016. Had intrusive thoughts and anxiety. Stopped again.

Stopped 50mg Lamictal end of January 2016

Stopped Cymbalta from 20mg Jan. 10, 2016

Went down to 20mg from 40 mg Dec. 2015

Have been on and off anti-depressants for 18 years. Started with Wellbutrin, which made me feel crazy, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro with Lamictal, Lithium (not for very long), and Cymbalta. I believe there were more. These are the ones I remember.

Hello HopeforBetter, I'm definitely going to try the gelatin & rosemary essential oil. The hair on the top of my head is thinning, I'm doing "the swirl" to cover my scalp. Sometimes I use Bosley colored powder. The hair on the back of my head is still thick. It's upsetting to see my once very thick & health hair falling out. :( Thank you for the post ♡

LAMICTAL: Prescribed 7 years ago; 825mg - Decreasing 10% monthly. Currently taking 600mg. Ugly withdrawals! Migraines, nausea, chills, sweats, sound & light sensitive, anxiety, depression, extreme exhaustion, dizzy ZOLOFT: Prescribed 2/22/16 25mg-am ** 25mg tab-pmCLONAZEPAM: Prescribed 18 years ago. Started at 1mg. - Upped to 4mg. (2mg-am & 2mg-pm) With doctors help, I decreased it to 2mg. - no problems.Extremely forgetful! Discouraged! Stressed! I'm determined to do this, SAFELY <p> Hydroclorathiazide 25mg, edema - Potassium 8meq - Estradiol 1mg on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (hysterectomy at age 30) -Levothyroxine 75mcg (right lobe of thyroid removed in 2001, non-cancerous tumor - B1 (sister and I diagnosed with Beri-Beri - B12 - D3 - Magnesium - C - Omega3 krill oil - Biotin, hair thinningApril 4, 2016 - LAMICTAL 625mg * CLONAZEPAM 2mg * ZOLOFT 50mg * Hydroclorathiazide 25mg * Potassium 8meq * Estradiol 1m, M-W-F * Levothyroxine 75mcg * Premarine * Clobetasol * B1 * B12 * D3 * Magnesium * C * Omega3 * Biotin * Symptoms: Tingling, Clenched Jaw, mild headache, slight nausea 4/11/16* 625mg Lamictal *** was taking 600mg & increased to 625mg *** 2mg Clonazepam (not tapering) * Zoloft- started 25mg on 2/22/16, increased two weeks later to 50mg. I stopped tapering the Lamictal when it was suggested that I taper the Zoloft first. I started my first taper at 45mg. I thought the itching,tingling,nausea,anxiety,jaw clenching,sound sensivity, muscles jumping & spasms were a reaction TO TAKING the Zoloft. I dropped to 1 & 1/2 tab today. I'm tired of thinking:(

My hair got thinner and not so shiny already on the pills. Generally I dont look so good anymore...i wish I could turn back time.

1 year and 2 months on Venlafaxine, started 15o now 75

1 year and 1 month olanzapine /zyprexa/

off zyprexa 2 weeks ago

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed a lot of hair on my pillow over the last few weeks - its freaking me out.

Also, there seems to be a lot more coming out on my hairbrush these days  :(

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

The last week or so I have noticed my hair falling out. I'm not sure if this is due to me colouring my hair (I hadn't coloured it for 2 years) or if it is from withdrawal.

Years ago when I was put on tablets I experience a lot of hair loss, so I've always used sulfate free shampoos since then and been really careful with my scalp. So either colouring my hair has caused mine or withdrawing from Prozac :/

I'll just mention the one good thing I swore by when I experienced bad hair loss before was bamboo silica, I'm sure it worked really well for me at the time.

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

Cipralex 10mg 17th July 2016.

I am around 2 years out from a bad reaction to pristiq.  I had the early hair loss, but it seemed to settle down.  For the past few months I've had a really itchy scalp, with lots of dandruff and my hair has been getting really greasy between washes.  

The ONLY other time I have experienced this was about 11 years ago, many months after I had tried a couple of sartroline, which I was prescribed a few weeks after I had been the victim of a violent crime.  I'm not kidding, exactly the same issues.  Back then it lasted around six months and was probably, in hindsight, the very tail end of a protracted withdrawal syndrome.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

Any of you guys having this, I am having tons of body hair growth! My chest and stomach hair are  extremly thicker now, and my eyebrows are very thick too, I'm 5 years free since I cold turkeyed, and its annoying, I trim everywhere now cause its so thick  i looks awful and iches! Anyone else having this

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Are you male or female?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I have also read that Evening Primrose Oil and MSM are good for female hair loss. The EPO doesn't so much facilitate hair growth as much as it slows the shedding. The MSM is the one that is supposed to make your hair grow faster and thicker. Of course, I'm too scared to try either.

My doctor recently prescribed me Spironolactone for my hair loss. It's a drug that is used to lower high blood pressure, but it also has anti androgenic properties so it is used for female hormone issues caused by high testosterone or androgen sensitivity (acne, hair loss, hirsuitism, all of which I have.) But, like with most meds/supplements, I am terrified to take it. Especially since the worst crash I've ever had occurred right after starting birth control pills. Ever since then I've been wary of anything that messes with my hormones significantly. However, vanity is also a powerful influence.

ladybug, I hope you haven't taken the plunge with the Spiro. I was taking it for hormonal breakouts along with birth control and I do believe this really compounded my withdrawal. That drug is no joke and I think the Spiro is a big factor as to why I still have interstitial cystitis symptoms 5 or so years out from withdrawal and about 3 and a half years out from the Spiro which I did taper. That drug really messes with your kidneys and electrolyte balance as it does act like a diuretic. 

As for the hair issues; I used to have glorious long golden brown wavy locks and a few months in my hair started losing it's luster, shape and eventually ended up like straw. I've also counted about 11 grey hairs over the past 5 years. I went into withdrawal at 27 so it wasn't age that wrecked my hair either or harsh products as everything I use is all natural and as close to organic as I can get. It was the drugs. I now wear it much shorter which fortunately suits me, but it's grown much darker now. I've seemed to have halt the premature graying though which I probably owe to taking black strap molasses and Great Lakes gelatin (green can) in my tea every morning. I can't wait to add the gelatin to my Aubrey Organics shampoo like another member mentioned!

Zoloft nearly killed me.

Depakote at 15 for PTSD

Then Lithium for "bipolar disorder". Then Paxil, Welbutrin, Celexa, Serequel, Buspar and Risperidol

And Effexor

At 21 I'm transitioned to Zoloft only

At 26 in late 2010 desperate to no longer just exist I go off my "pediatric dose" of Zoloft which I had previously weaned towards

Shortly after spend the next few years going through WD Hell

2016 Drug free and trying to reclaim my health with the help of my kinesiologist

we're not scare mongering. this is really happening.

My response is in the quote for some reason ^ :wacko:

Zoloft nearly killed me.

Depakote at 15 for PTSD

Then Lithium for "bipolar disorder". Then Paxil, Welbutrin, Celexa, Serequel, Buspar and Risperidol

And Effexor

At 21 I'm transitioned to Zoloft only

At 26 in late 2010 desperate to no longer just exist I go off my "pediatric dose" of Zoloft which I had previously weaned towards

Shortly after spend the next few years going through WD Hell

2016 Drug free and trying to reclaim my health with the help of my kinesiologist

we're not scare mongering. this is really happening.

For the past four yrs I've had sporadic hair loss. At first, I felt it was from "the change" going through menopause. I started taking hormones to balance out my hot flashes and sleepless nights all while taking Effexor or Venlafaxine 37.5mg. They (hormones) didn't seem to help with my hair and I am about convinced now its from the venlafaxine.  I would like to taper but worried it will increase the loss.  I experience what I'd consider high volume of hair loss daily.  It's mostly notice when in the shower, brushing or combing my hair out after the shower and during the drying of my hair, I literally see if fall to the ground. Also, notice the hair strands throughout the day on my shirt or desk and chair at work.  I've been passed around from doctor to doctor over the last two yrs., all my blood work comes back normal.  I do currently take all the important vitamins for hair.  This of course has been extremely stressing, which I realize stress can cause hair loss, but not this continued amount.  I am desperately searching for any input or experience with this and venlafaxine. Which btw, I've only been taking every other day, I wonder if I should increase to see if that will help before trying to taper?? Increasing isn't what I want to do, but at this point, if I get the right advice, I'll try anything. Thanks in advance for ANY input or advice!!

Started in 2002 to 2011 regular brand Effexor XR 75mg

June 2012 changed to Effexor XR 37.mg extended release

June 2013 was put on generic brand of Effexor called Venlafaxine caps 37.5mg extended release

2014 Westhroid, started taking 1GR twice a day in 2015

2015 Many Hormones, Progesterone sublingual 25mg twice a day, Cortisol sr 2.5mg once a day, DHEA sr 10mg once a day, Methly B sublingual twice a day, Bi-Est L1 sublingual 0.325mg 2 tabs in the morning and 1 in evening

Vitamins, Magnesium, Vitamin D-3, B-Complex, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Iodine Complex, Selenium

2012-2013 Withdrawal issues major hair loss, brain fog/trouble concentrating, zapping, jittery, irritable, light headedness and abnormal visual sensations along with intense dreams at night.

Dec 7th, 2015  weaning venlafaxine, taking it every other day, trying to reach taking it every two days.  This was done by counting hours.  If I took my med at 7am then the nxt time I was due for meds, I'd pushed it out until 8am, 9am or 10am depending on my withdrawal issues, many of which are mentioned above. This continued until February 9th, 2016. I then jumped back to taking it every day. Complete misery. Jumping back on venlafaxine full time increased even more hair loss.

March 15, 2016 trying to save my hair, I thought dropping back to every other day would help. I've now weaned back to taking it every other day until present date. Unfortunately, I am still loosing my hair and experiencing the brain fog and forgetfulness and recently anxiousness. 

Crossover - I have had exactly the same issue (a lot of hair loss in the shower, on clothes and on my pillow).

Also, my bloodwork came back normal. My doc doesn't think I need any hormone tests to be done.

This is horrible.

Major Life Events: 

Hi there!  I experienced terrible hair loss shortly after starting escitalopram.  It wasn't a listed side effect, however upon contacting the drug manufacturer they confirmed it was a side effect experienced in clinical trials prior to the medication being finalized.  Due to this fact, they weren't compelled to list it as a possible side effect. Ugh!  I too had tons of hair on my pillow and in the shower.  It was just falling out everywhere and I could see my part was getting a lot wider.  I had lost so much hair it was depressing.  I tried a product called Priorin and it worked wonders for me!  I am in Canada and not sure if it is available elsewhere.  I bought it at our local drugstore.  I took it for 3 months and it didn't take long before I noticed results.  Within a month my hair had almost completely stopped falling out and then I started noticing new growth.  My hair is just about completely back to normal now.  

Mid-July 2015 Started 10mg escitalopram and had many horrible side effects.  Tapered off and was done by beginning of November 2015.

I must be an odd duck, because I had the hair falling out thing happening to me while taking the ADs.

During times of high stress, it was worse, but I lost more than half of my hair through the years (about 15 years now)

Many of the withdrawal symptom many of you experience are what I experienced while on the medications.

My hope is that these things will now reverse themselves.

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
4/21/16.>>>> went to 4 tablets Cymbalta and 15 mg Ami and cut Klonpin to 1/8.
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

6/13/2016 - 25 mg of trazadone. 
Doctor is happy for me how well this is all going. :) Almost done with it all!!

Going to try the gelatin Fresh - thank you for this!

Been upsetting seeing my hair falling out given that I don't have much of it as it is (I have fine hair).

Major Life Events: 

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A very gentle hair care treatment: 

Mix 1 egg-yolk with 1 teaspoon honey in a small cup.  In a separate cup mix 1 tablespoon apple-cider-vinegar with 1/2 cup cold water. 

In the shower, wet hair.  Massage egg mixture all over scalp and into hair.  Leave for a few minutes or as long as you like.  It's also lovely smoothed onto facial skin. 

Rinse well with warm/hot water.  Slowly pour over the vinegar mixture, getting all of the scalp and hair.  Work it right through.  Rinse with warm/hot water.  (Keep your eyes closed tight - the vinegar stings!).

I've been using this weekly for about 2 years now as my only shampoo/conditioner, and my hair has returned to feeling as soft as it did when I was a teenager. 

Please note:  This isn't a cure, it's just a gentler way to care for your hair, which can be nice to do when your hair is brittle.  Any shampoo that bubbles or froths has ingredients that are not great to be rubbing into your hair, let alone your skin, let alone skin right next to your brain ;).  And that's true for anyone, not just those of us in w/d. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 months later...

I (male) too have had increased hair growth. Stomach, chin, face. Luckily I'm asian so I had almost zero hair to begin with, but it is mildly weird. More worried what it says about my endocrine system.

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

I've definitely had increased hair shedding in WD, and I've also found the texture of my hair is changing. It was always fine and straight, now it's dry and coarse, and breaks a lot. Seem to have a lot more greys too, and the annoying thing is they're popping up just as my hair decides it can't take even the most gentle colourant! I'm a walking bad hair day advert - split ends and frizz!

Going to give KarenB's egg/honey and vinegar recipe a go, I think it's hugely lacking in protein. Been using coconut oil overnight, but even that's not cutting it anymore.

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Hi, I'm just wondering if someone has noticed a change in color, because I noticed thickening of hair (head, body, face) and change from brown to black. Then it went black to brown again, I told this to physicians but they don't explain why it was and I look on the internet and I got no answers too.  It got thicker but at the same time I had an awesome hair loss and it looked brittle and without curls, as it normal is.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone here tell me when your hormones rectified themselves?  Past 3 years now and only baby hairs have grown in in the bald spots.  From other stories, it seems their hair grew in much faster (up to a year).  My thyroid is still whacky and my menstrual cycles are all over the map.  What's the average time for hormones to level out?

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• 6 months later...

In June 2017 I went cold turkey off ALL my many antidepressants because at that point I was poisoning my body.  I had just been saved out of a very abusive marriage as my husband died.  I was relieved of that horrible depression and my body told me that by causing me to become VERY sick 30 mins after taking my meds.  Having said that, do not stop your antidepressants cold turkey.  Each day thereafter I felt better and less "poisoned".  Each evening I asked myself, to do a self evaluation, how was I feeling today.  Wow, amazing.  As I expected to return on to them, but at a smaller dose, in 4 weeks I began feeling weepy.  I went back onto all, but at the minimum dose.  Now I feel the most fantastic I  remember  feeling in my life!

I have beautiful long, blonde, thick-textured hair and lots of it.   It's my best feature......

Sept, 1, my hair began coming out in my brush and my comb.  This is Dec 15, 2017 and it continues to comb out.  That's only 3 months.  According to research on line, it  might last 6 mnths.  I have zero stress so that was not my cause - I blame the cold turkey quitting of my antidepressants.  At first I was as upset as all of you have said.  All of you on this post, know more about alopecia than doctors and medical web sites combined.  I have  Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and ALL my blood work is perfect.  I've done a lot of analyzing the months before this happened to determine if there were any other med changes in my life.  None.  I don't take other meds except hypothyroidism.  In all my depression years, and the whole gamut of antidepressants I've been on,, none ever caused alopecia.  Nor tapering them down. 

My female neighbor is loosing her hair and she does NOT take antidepressants and her thyroid is fine.  She takes biotin.  She IS under a lot of stress.  One time, my sister's was loosing her hair when she was under a lot of stress...and it stopped and returned to normal.  AND, my psychiatrist AND endocrinologist are no help!  You all know so much more then they do.  I recommend to everyone to learn as much as you can via the internet about hair loss - it can help ease our stress.

My conclusion is I've decided to stop worrying about my hair loss, ONLY because I can't do anything about it no matter how it is related to my antidepressants.  (I never experienced hair loss with any meds.)  Stress will only make it worse.  When I think back to some ailments in my life that were stressing and seemed to last forever, they too subsided and my body moved on.........(to some other ailment...... LOL).

I will check back here to update in a few months. 

Thank you everyone for taking your time to talk about hair loss with antidepressants.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience after I cold-turkeyed all my medicine one year ago, my hair has been thinner and has lost much of its previous volume. It is so saddening because I had super thick wavy hair before and wish I could turn back the clock. Now it’s straight, flat, and dull. It’s not thin, but I’m used to it being much thicker and this issue appears to be getting worse. When I brush my hair, I am horrified to see clumps. It makes me not even want to bother with it. I try hard not to worry, but it’s difficult because I KNOW my hair used to look better and it makes me feel bad about my appearance. I’ve always taken good care of my hair and I really hope it grows back to its former shape soon.

(Took Respiradone, Strattera, Celexa, Lexapro, and Pristiq prior to these.)

These were all taken over the course of approximately 10 years

10/7/15 - Fluvoxamine Maleate 100 MG

7/26/16 - Amphetamine Salts 10 MG

10/5/16 - Olanzapine-Fluoxetine 6-25 MG

11/1/16 - Olanzapine 2.5 MG AND Fluoxetine HCL 10 MG

11/08/16 - Amantadine 100 MG AND Aripiprazole 5 MG

11/22/16 - Trazodone 50 MG

12/1/16 - Aripiprazole 5 MG *LAST DOSE - COLD-TURKEYED*

1 hour ago, Pearlsky said:

In my experience after I cold-turkeyed all my medicine one year ago, my hair has been thinner and has lost much of its previous volume. It is so saddening because I had super thick wavy hair before and wish I could turn back the clock. Now it’s straight, flat, and dull. It’s not thin, but I’m used to it being much thicker and this issue appears to be getting worse. When I brush my hair, I am horrified to see clumps. It makes me not even want to bother with it. I try hard not to worry, but it’s difficult because I KNOW my hair used to look better and it makes me feel bad about my appearance. I’ve always taken good care of my hair and I really hope it grows back to its former shape soon.

My hair was falling out like crazy and it was dull and completely lacking in shine when I was on Abilify.  I am pleased to report that after five months, it is looking much better!  If you are eating nutritionally, I'm sure yours will return to its former glory!

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

• 1 month later...

As I wrote in my introduction topic, I'm 4 years drug free (Escitalopram) and I'm doing quite well even if I don't consider myself totally healed. But I think the darkest days are gone. I write here for an advice. I want to try saw palmetto for hair loss but I'm still hesitant because I'v read some scary stories on the web about it. Some users compare this supplement to finasteride and report severe side effects after only few pills. Everyone one here can immagine my fear to start another journey into the hell. So I want to wait to take a decision and for this reason I ask your opinion.
My question is a technical one: does the 5 alpha reductase play some major role with the chemistry of receptors we have messed up with our medications? 
Thank you all for any suggestion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid it like the plague. Read the horror stories of what Propecia has done to folks. Saw palmetto works in a similar way and there are reported horror stories. 

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy