ruby

Hair loss, poor condition, body hair, excessive hair growth

Mewmewkitty

The last 12 months some of my hair starts to grow grey, more and more along with hair loss and increas acne!

Am 26 yrs old so this feels way way to soon for me.

Does the grey hair reverse itself further into healing?

Brussellsprout

Hi everyone. I’ve been tapering off pristiq for 4 months after being on it for 2 months and 2 weeks at a special compounded dose of 6 mg (I took 8 mg for 1 week then dropped to 6 mg in the beginning) (lowest available dose Is 25 mg).   So, I’ve been on for a total of 6 months with tapering. I’ve had awful side effects which include hair loss in massive amounts. I’m down to 2.5 mg and know I’m stuck  going slow because I can’t just drop the drug as I have had awful withdrawals even dropping .25 mg at a time. So, does anyone have any recommendations for helping hair growth while still on the drug or am i basically stuck wearing a wig until I’m off? 😞

Annala

Hi everybody,

I'm curious if anybody has observed hair loss as side effect?

I started to lose tons of hair in August and it's still ongoing. The dermatologist confirmed via a so called trichoscan that I am suffering from hair loss currently (so not only a "turn over" or wrong perception). We tested nearly every possible cause via blood tests, ...like iron, zink, etc, all vitamins, thyroid issues (again...), autoimmune diseases. My gynecologist did a hormone status...everything is perfect.

I'm not having a lot of stress at the moment (or when it started) either.

So I wondered if Cipralex, or tapering it could be the cause?

Maybe it's not very likely, as I've been on a stable dose since May. I don't know...

Cathy4

Hi Annala,

I do know of someone else, actually two people, who have had/are having severe hair loss.  One of them is tapering from two different antidepressants, and the other person is on two antidepressants currently.  

So even though I don't personally have this symptom, I believe it could definitely be drug-related.  That's just my guess.  Do you use any nicotine products?  

Cathy

Annala

Hi Cathy,

that's interesting! Thank you for the answer!

It's just so hard to see all that hair go without an idea what to do about it...

No, I'm not using any type of nicotine products. And no other drugs, I don't even like alcohol. The only drug I'm using is coffee. 😄

Gigi12
On 11/16/2019 at 4:55 AM, Annala said:

Hi everybody,

I'm curious if anybody has observed hair loss as side effect?

I started to lose tons of hair in August and it's still ongoing. The dermatologist confirmed via a so called trichoscan that I am suffering from hair loss currently (so not only a "turn over" or wrong perception). We tested nearly every possible cause via blood tests, ...like iron, zink, etc, all vitamins, thyroid issues (again...), autoimmune diseases. My gynecologist did a hormone status...everything is perfect.

I'm not having a lot of stress at the moment (or when it started) either.

So I wondered if Cipralex, or tapering it could be the cause?

Maybe it's not very likely, as I've been on a stable dose since May. I don't know...

OMG. I am in the process of tapering of meds after 30 years and these last several months I have lost so much hair ( thank god I have a lot). I think our system is shocked and this might be a reaction. 

Annala
On 11/19/2019 at 3:57 AM, Gigi12 said:

OMG. I am in the process of tapering of meds after 30 years and these last several months I have lost so much hair ( thank god I have a lot). I think our system is shocked and this might be a reaction. 

It's so shocking to see all that hair in the brush, isn't it? I hope it stops soon!

Longroadhome
On 3/12/2017 at 7:05 PM, keepinghope said:

I've definitely had increased hair shedding in WD, and I've also found the texture of my hair is changing. It was always fine and straight, now it's dry and coarse, and breaks a lot. Seem to have a lot more greys too, and the annoying thing is they're popping up just as my hair decides it can't take even the most gentle colourant! I'm a walking bad hair day advert - split ends and frizz!

Going to give KarenB's egg/honey and vinegar recipe a go, I think it's hugely lacking in protein. Been using coconut oil overnight, but even that's not cutting it anymore.

Hi keepinghope 

is your hair still breaking or has it recovered ? 

Mine has been breaking for several

months now 

thank you 

LRH

Greenriver

I've had quite significant hair loss over the past nine months.  My hair also feels very dry and brittle. I think it's perhaps connected to the stress of withdrawal. It seems to have coincided with my sex drive finally returning (first it giveth, then it taketh away).

I'm actually considering whether it's worth coming off these drugs now, and perhaps even upping my dose.  I'm quite a skinny guy - I don't think I'd suit being bald (I'd look like a convict).

There seems to be no end to side-effect profile of these strange alien drugs.

Longroadhome
9 hours ago, Greenriver said:

I've had quite significant hair loss over the past nine months.  My hair also feels very dry and brittle. I think it's perhaps connected to the stress of withdrawal. It seems to have coincided with my sex drive finally returning (first it giveth, then it taketh away).

I'm actually considering whether it's worth coming off these drugs now, and perhaps even upping my dose.  I'm quite a skinny guy - I don't think I'd suit being bald (I'd look like a convict).

There seems to be no end to side-effect profile of these strange alien drugs.

Hello Greenriver

I definitely feel mine is connected to WD. Hair loss dry and brittle with lots of breakage. I’ve stopped washing it so often and using a mild shampoo also a conditioner that I leave in for an hour once a week. Sundays I put Argon Oil through my hair and leave it in all day and night . Look like a grease ball walking around but I don’t care!!   Better than losing my hair . 

Just had blood tests carried out and apparently I’m low in vitamin D and borderline for Iron. Being low in either of these can create hair loss. So I’ll start taking supplements. 

Ps. Like your sense of humour . We need one going through this !! 

LRH

UnfoldingSky

Did the doctor tell you where you fell in the ranges for those tests? Reason I ask is, I was nearly out of range for iron and was not told until a long time after the test was taken, and I have benefited from taking iron.  So if they didn't tell you where you were in the range I would ask, and then if you are almost low in something, ask if it would be beneficial and safe to take a supplement.

Annala

Hi :)

yes, I always take the result sheets with me!
The only thing that maybe could be of importance was iron. I had 23 ng/ml Ferritin (reference stated 13-150 by lab), gyn and dermatologist said it was perfect and can't be responsible (as hemoglobin was perfectly in the middle of reference so...), but I read in some scientific publications that regarding hair loss if you got <40ng/ml Ferritin it COULD be the reason. I asked the dermatologist about it and he said there are different opinions and if I wanted to I could supplement iron.

So I've been taking 100mg/day iron for about 1.5 months now. I thought about waiting at least 3 months and then maybe test again if Ferritin levels have improved.

UnfoldingSky
On 12/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, Greenriver said:

I'm quite a skinny guy - I don't think I'd suit being bald (I'd look like a convict).

I'm female and my hair thinned because of withdrawal too.  Now I'm left with various options...

1) wear hair extensions

2) wear a wig

3) put eye shadow that matches my hair color on the areas that thinned out so you can't see my scalp

4) wear a bald cap; after all if I wear one of those people will think I have a nice full head of hair I have to cover up (for some inexplicable reason)

5) daily full Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek cosplay

i can't do the last one though because I hate the word cosplay. 

UnfoldingSky

Longroadhome, does the argon oil work to regrow hair?

Longroadhome
8 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Longroadhome, does the argon oil work to regrow hair?

Hi US

no I just use it to put oil back into my hair it’s so dry at the moment.

It feels softer and less like straw after using it .

WD affects everything.  

How long have you been in WD and are you still on any meds? 

Greenriver
On 12/4/2019 at 8:56 AM, Longroadhome said:

Hello Greenriver

I definitely feel mine is connected to WD. Hair loss dry and brittle with lots of breakage. I’ve stopped washing it so often and using a mild shampoo also a conditioner that I leave in for an hour once a week. Sundays I put Argon Oil through my hair and leave it in all day and night . Look like a grease ball walking around but I don’t care!!   Better than losing my hair . 

Just had blood tests carried out and apparently I’m low in vitamin D and borderline for Iron. Being low in either of these can create hair loss. So I’ll start taking supplements. 

Ps. Like your sense of humour . We need one going through this !! 

LRH

Thanks for  the tips. I might go and get my bloods checked. I put coconut oil through mine but it didn’t seem to do anything. It might be my imagination, but my hair loss seemed to speed up when I used the coconut oil. 

Greenriver
On 12/6/2019 at 11:15 PM, UnfoldingSky said:

I'm female and my hair thinned because of withdrawal too.  Now I'm left with various options...

1) wear hair extensions

2) wear a wig

3) put eye shadow that matches my hair color on the areas that thinned out so you can't see my scalp

4) wear a bald cap; after all if I wear one of those people will think I have a nice full head of hair I have to cover up (for some inexplicable reason)

5) daily full Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek cosplay

i can't do the last one though because I hate the word cosplay. 

It’s bad enough losing your hair as a guy, but I can’t imagine how bad it must be as a female losing your hair. These pharm companies have a lot to answer for, and hopefullly one day people will be held to account for the damage they have inflicted. 

UnfoldingSky
On 12/7/2019 at 2:44 AM, Longroadhome said:

Hi US

no I just use it to put oil back into my hair it’s so dry at the moment.

It feels softer and less like straw after using it .

WD affects everything.  

How long have you been in WD and are you still on any meds? 

Hi Longroadhome, I am off all pills, and have been for a long time.  I don't have good genes re hair loss, so was always going to be losing some, but in the acute part of withdrawal it really turned up for a time.  I don't know if withdrawal caused me to go low in iron, or if something else did, but I ended up low..I'm sure the stress of withdrawal did me no favors either. Now I have some issues going on, I think maybe a thyroid condition, not sure if the pills I took caused it or not. 

Also I did not realize low vit. D could cause hair loss...I had that too. That definitely had a lot to do with withdrawal as I became so light sensitive I spent a lot of time indoors.

UnfoldingSky
On 12/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, Greenriver said:

It’s bad enough losing your hair as a guy, but I can’t imagine how bad it must be as a female losing your hair. These pharm companies have a lot to answer for, and hopefullly one day people will be held to account for the damage they have inflicted. 

I think the part that bothers me the most is having to spend money and time on just trying to look like an average person.  Lots of women wear hair extensions now who don't need them, and so far the loss isn't so severe I have big bald spots or anything, but I'm already tired of having to use the extensions. It's just one more time and energy drain for me.  I'd be so happy to just be able to get out of bed in the morning and get dressed and not have that include throwing on someone else's hair!  

Longroadhome
9 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Hi Longroadhome, I am off all pills, and have been for a long time.  I don't have good genes re hair loss, so was always going to be losing some, but in the acute part of withdrawal it really turned up for a time.  I don't know if withdrawal caused me to go low in iron, or if something else did, but I ended up low..I'm sure the stress of withdrawal did me no favors either. Now I have some issues going on, I think maybe a thyroid condition, not sure if the pills I took caused it or not. 

Also I did not realize low vit. D could cause hair loss...I had that too. That definitely had a lot to do with withdrawal as I became so light sensitive I spent a lot of time indoors.

Thank you for reply much appreciated 

UnfoldingSky
On 12/6/2019 at 6:22 AM, Annala said:

Hi :)

yes, I always take the result sheets with me!
The only thing that maybe could be of importance was iron. I had 23 ng/ml Ferritin (reference stated 13-150 by lab), gyn and dermatologist said it was perfect and can't be responsible (as hemoglobin was perfectly in the middle of reference so...), but I read in some scientific publications that regarding hair loss if you got <40ng/ml Ferritin it COULD be the reason. I asked the dermatologist about it and he said there are different opinions and if I wanted to I could supplement iron.

So I've been taking 100mg/day iron for about 1.5 months now. I thought about waiting at least 3 months and then maybe test again if Ferritin levels have improved.

Hi Annala,

Thank you for explaining about the ferritin results. I had never heard that before.  I hope the iron does the trick for you! :)

Also off topic but I am curious, I just noticed you are in Germany..How often do they prescribe psych drugs there?  Are they taken by a lot of people?

Annala
10 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Also off topic but I am curious, I just noticed you are in Germany..How often do they prescribe psych drugs there?  Are they taken by a lot of people?

I'm not sure about absolute numbers, but there were a lot of reports lately that there has been a massive rise in prescribed antidepressants in the last years. I think, if I rememeber it correctly, Germany is somewhere in the middle regarding OECD countries, but with one of the highest increases in prescriptions.

UnfoldingSky

I am getting desperate for a remedy for the hair loss.  Iron has helped some of my problems and may be slowing some of the loss but I've lost so much already that I feel I need to figure out a way to fix this if possible.  Has anyone ever tried saw palmetto?  Specifically anyone who had severe withdrawal or really bad reactions to psych drugs?  I may be seeing someone I can ask about it, just wondering in advance if it's even relevant given withdrawal and the possibility/likelihood of withdrawal-related sensitivity to it. 

getofflex
On 1/18/2020 at 7:34 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

I am getting desperate for a remedy for the hair loss.  Iron has helped some of my problems and may be slowing some of the loss but I've lost so much already that I feel I need to figure out a way to fix this if possible.  Has anyone ever tried saw palmetto?  Specifically anyone who had severe withdrawal or really bad reactions to psych drugs?  I may be seeing someone I can ask about it, just wondering in advance if it's even relevant given withdrawal and the possibility/likelihood of withdrawal-related sensitivity to it. 

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing hair loss.  I will keep you in my prayers.  I wish I had an answer.  My husband, who is a pharmacist, says biotin might help. 

Junglechicken

Hair loss has been an ongoing issue for me.

None of my bloods have indicated low iron levels or anything out of the ordinary.

However, for some reason (and I think this is down to WD), my GOOD cholesterol has been below normal levels for the past 3 years now.

Longroadhome
6 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

Hair loss has been an ongoing issue for me.

None of my bloods have indicated low iron levels or anything out of the ordinary.

However, for some reason (and I think this is down to WD), my GOOD cholesterol has been below normal levels for the past 3 years now.

Hello There Jungle 

my hair has been dry and breaking for the past year since tapering too fast on Paxil . I have to be extremely careful with products I put in my hair . 
iron fine vit D low. 

also considering I’m a gym freak and slim build my cholesterol is a little above normal and I have also put this down to WD. 

UnfoldingSky
On 1/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, getofflex said:

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing hair loss.  I will keep you in my prayers.  I wish I had an answer.  My husband, who is a pharmacist, says biotin might help. 

Thank you. I feel so frustrated by all of this...I will have to look into the biotin, and maybe some other solutions too. 

Junglechicken
On 1/20/2020 at 5:46 PM, Longroadhome said:

Hello There Jungle 

my hair has been dry and breaking for the past year since tapering too fast on Paxil . I have to be extremely careful with products I put in my hair . 
iron fine vit D low. 

also considering I’m a gym freak and slim build my cholesterol is a little above normal and I have also put this down to WD. 

Hi Longroadhome,

Low Vit D can be due to lack of sunshine.

I think WD messes with so many things in our bodies.  

TC,

JC

carlos099

Hi everybody, 

suffering too of hair loss since tapered escitalopram back in 2014, it goes up and down in severity can't understand what is the root cause actually or which could be the actual biological target to "FIX"it. 

Just wanted to say something about it, but in general about SSRI. 

- Actually, SSRI INCREASE estrogen production, this is widely known and it is easy to find several papers on it, SSRI actually enhance the activity of the aromatase enzymes (CYP 19) that is crucial in Steroidogenesis to push the balance androgen/estrogen in the estrogen direction. Check this out: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28179152/ 

https://academic.oup.com/toxsci/article/163/2/609/4947780

Again there are several evidences of this imbalance caused by SSRI this are just two straightforward paper...

- Another interesting thing to mention is that the drug Finasteride used to treat male pattern baldness, that basically stop the 5 alpha reductase enzyme (the enzyme converts testosterone to diidrotestosterone, but is also involved in the genesis of other neurosteroids), it gives the same post sexual dysfunction of SSRI. The web it is full to people reporting this and as happened with SSRI recently, the drug company had to admit and inform that Finasteride could lead to persistent sexual dysfunction. There is an interesting paper,  Post-finasteride and Post-ssri sexual dysfunction, two side of the same coin?, where actually they try to find the link causing the same problem from two different medication. They indeed debate on the neurosteroids importance on sexual function since they are involved in several osmotic and nervous regulation around the body.

https://iris.unito.it/retrieve/handle/2318/1677433/440640/2018Giatti-MS.pdf

- SSRI acts also on dopamine, LH and FSH. All go down during medication intake. dopamine is directly involved in sexual behavior. FHS and LH acts on testis or ovaries and promote testosterone production in male and estrogen and progesterone in female. They also up regulate Prolactin.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18626269/

-SSRI Influence also other Cytochrome P450 enzymes that are not involved in the Steroidogenesis, can't find the papers where I have read this, but actually these cytochromes are involved in drug metabolism and also other metabolism like prostaglandin. Most SSRI down regulate them, so probably even this event may contribute to the so called toxicity of ssri. I will try to find the paper.

- Another consideration is about histamine, most of you know that is "touched" during SSRI medication. What is interesting is that researchers showed that mice without histamine function ( Gene knockout) basically did not respond to SSRI treatment: " Here, we report that behavioral and neurochemical responses to SSRIs exclusively, and not to other antidepressants, are abolished in mice genetically or pharmaco- logically unable to synthesize histamine". It plays a way bigger role than is thought. Histamine mediates a wide range of inflammatory processes .

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25899065/

- Another interesting reading is " Serotonin and Brain function: a Tale of two receptors", I strongly suggest this, it is very mind opening to understand what's going on when you take ssri. It basically outlines that serotonin receptors have different, in some case opposite, responses/action. It also challenge the belief that enhance serotonin would lead to "Happiness mood" since it seems pretty strongly demonstrated that the 5HT2A receptor is overexcited in depressed person ( person that are depressed and do not use medication), and so the so called desensitization of this receptor due to the enhanced exposure to serotonin during SSRI would be the real mechanism of action that lead, let's say, to the better mood. It is a really good article, at the beginning is a bit technical if you do not have basis of biochemistry, but in the second part it describes in a evolutionary/adaptive way the role of the receptors taking into consideration brain plasticity and the concept of transformation/change.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28858536/

-  It widely acknowledged  that SSRI interact with far more targets that its name would suggest. I feel like everything goes down to cellular homeostasis regulation made by ion channels. SSRI have been shown to inhibit most of them. Interestingly, I found some research on LOW POWER LASER IRRADIATION that seems to improve Pssd and it is also used to treat baldness and other disease. It is hypnotized to work through modification on ion channel potential.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306987707005853 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25483212/

Anyway, sorry this is a very long post... to go back to the alopecia issue I feel like that the medical explanation of it ( increased sensitivity to dht in the hair follicle) it is way too reductionist. I believe it can be a factor but it does not play the big role is told. I haven't find anything to reverse the shedding which I am almost  sure was caused, at least triggered, by ssri withdrawal.I haven't tried anything in particular thought, just few supplement but without constancy. 

I personally think that it is not wise to mess up with pro estrogenic stuff which include saw palmetto and all these natural dht inhibitor especially if you have tapered or tapering out or having withdrawal.

The only thing that seems to helped me out with that is meditation. Probably a better explanation or understanding about what kind of epigenetic change or disregulation  SSRI do cause in the long term would be useful. If anyone has some study please share. Also I am not sure I understand what neuorotoxicity really mean in the long term...I followed an American doctor on YouTube, Stuart Shipko, speaking about it. It seems that to regenerate nervous tissue the healing curve is 5 to 7 years. I feel like it is true since I am almost 6 years off now and I feel good overall, it is also true that I have been taking escitalopram "only" for 1,5 years which I feel it is not a lot on average.

Big hugs.Ciao.

Greenriver

I've found meditation helps too, just in terms of learning to accept my fate. Although it can be difficult to stay disciplined with it.  I thought about Finasteride but then read about the sexual dysfunction. Post-Finasteride syndrome sounds quite similar to severe SSRI withdrawal, particularly the PSSD part. Looks like there has been quite a few suicides linked to it too. Having been through PSSD, I don't want to screw with pharm drugs again, although it is tempting when I see me hair coming out in chunks. I think lockdown has actually accelerated it. Hair is constantly falling onto my desk and keyboard. That never happened at work.  I stopped Prozac for a week there and switched to Citalopram. My hair texture definitely changed. It wasn't frizzy and stopped falling onto my desk. Unfortunately I started to experience mild genital numbness , so I panicked and went back on Prozac. I think the stimulation from Prozac is linked to the hair loss. I think I just need to accept it, which is easier said than done (particularly when you're still single). Strangely, it started when my sex drive ramped up. On the higher doses of Prozac (and Sertraline) , I didn't really experience orgasms or sexuality that intensely. I could appreciate the opposite sex but I just wasn't that bothered. I was walking about in an opiated SSRI fog (Interestingly, I think SSRIs mimic opiates in ways science has yet to cotton on to. They do feel remarkably similar, especially in the shortlived honeymoon period when they start working and get their claws into you). Getting down to the lower doses has definitely woken me up in that regard. Perhaps that has caused an increase in testosterone and subsequent hair loss.