ruby

Hair Problems: Hair loss, poor condition, body hair, excessive growth

ruby

Does anyone have dry, brittle hair from med withdrawal? My hair has been so brittle since I quit antidepressants. I think it's connected to my limited diet and compromised gut. I've been able to take vitamin C supplements the past few weeks. Hopefully this will help. I always wear my hair up because it looks dreadful and I don't have the energy to style it. Maybe I should cut it all off.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same problem. And what to do about this?

Altostrata

I found whey protein isolate made my hair and nails very strong.

UnfoldingSky

Yes.  I had this.  It turned out I had a slight iron deficiency (I was in the normal range though near the bottom end) that was causing it.

Vitamin C I have read is needed to take up iron so if you were not getting enough that might explain it.  If it doesn't improve with vit. C or via some other means you might get your iron level checked--and ask where you are in the range and if it's a good idea to supplement (supplementing with iron on your own is not advisable.)   If you also happen to be really tired then there could be a chance there's an iron issue.  Also if you are vegetarian. 

UnfoldingSky

I found whey protein isolate made my hair and nails very strong.

How does whey affect hair?  I'd like to try it if it helps, I could still use a bit more strengthening. 

Altostrata

It's full of protein and amino acids.

ruby

I tried whey protein years ago and it gave me ibs symptoms so I stopped. I'll look into the iron deficiency.

I'm probably deficient in many vitamins and minerals because it's difficult to eat normally and take supplements during hell withdrawal. I've been eating oranges, nectarines and pears over the past few days. They taste delicious, but my gut has a hard time digesting them (gas, growling noises, discomfort). 

A lot of my hair also fell out, but it's growing back. Atleast I have hair! I have a lot more gray hair now then before I stopped the meds. The unbelievable stress probably caused this. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Altostrata

Sounds like your gut needs some tender loving care. How about taking probiotics?

ruby

I make my own SCD yogurt, very rich in probiotics. I can digest it well, but it doesn't seem to improve the digestion of other foods.

The SCD diet has helped me the most. Sticking to it is really difficult, though.

Cberg

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all having a good as can be expected holiday weekend.

Have any of you had hair loss as you were tapering? I'm a woman, and my hair shedding has been horrible since I have been tapering. Also, for any of you who may have succeeded in your tapering, do you know if it gets better once a person is off completely? Does it all come back? This is so distressing, I just can't begin to tell you how upsetting it is.

Thank you for your help.

Cberg

Addax

Hi Cberg.

I don't know if tapering directly causes hair loss, but I'm guessing that the physical and emotional stress of withdrawal could be causing your hair loss if it's more than you typically experience. Stressful events and hormonal changes cause hair loss, even weeks later. It is also listed as a side effect of many antidepressants. Look up Telogen Effluvium, see if it sounds familiar.

Currently I'm experiencing some more than normal hair shedding, but I recently experienced some new stressors, including tapering. This has happened to me before, so I'm not nearly as distraught as the first time it happened. Believe me, the first time I noticed it I was freaking out. It stopped, and my hair went back to normal when it happened.

But there are of course many other causes of hair loss, including but not limited to iron deficiency, hypothyroidism, vitamin D deficiency... Of course, see your doctor if it's really worrying you.

I really do know how distressing it can be. I went to my doctor the first time I noticed it happening because I was so panicked. After tests showed no deficiencies or abnormal results we determined it was stress related... Of course if that's the case, the stressing over it probably made it worse. :)

Fenrir

Lost permanently some of my hair when I CTed paroxetine in 2011

rapunzel2

after ending zoloft too fast in 2012, and ending up in worst protracted withdrawal possible 4-5 months later, I had massive shedding of hair. it continued for at least a year. it started to lessen when I started my vitamin-mineral program and gluten-free-casein-free diet. 

Petunia

Hair loss was part of early withdrawal for me too.  Its stopped now and my hair is starting to get slightly thicker again.  Withdrawal has effected my hair in another strange way, it used to be straight/wavy, now its curly.  When I was born, I had curly hair, but as I grew it became straighter, withdrawal seems to have sent it back to its original state.

• Like 1

Cberg

Thank you all. Can someone please tell me CT'd means? I see it over and over and don't know what it means.

Cberg

andy

Thank you all. Can someone please tell me CT'd means? I see it over and over and don't know what it means.

Cberg

cold turkey = abruptly stopping a drug

UnfoldingSky

I have always been prone to hair loss, but in withdrawal it got way worse.  And my hair texture changed. 

Over time through diet and some herbs I've been able to partly restore the look of my hair, and the hair loss slowed down a bit.  Part of the issue as it turned out also was due to low iron, so if you haven't checked this out and it's a possibility for you do look into it.  If you also happen to have fatigue and shortness of breath it would definitely be something to look into, as those are also symptoms of low iron. 

UnfoldingSky

Oops, didn't catch that Addax had already said low iron was a cause. :blush:

WiggleIt

Has anybody recovered from this and had their hair grow back as thick as it was before meds?

Fresh

I have Wigglelt.    I took Epilim for 18 months (around 2008/09) - I got fat and my hair fell out , but it did nothing for the symptoms of neuro-toxicity I had from Lexapro (lol).

My hair grew back after I stopped it , and I haven't had that problem again since.

sky68

hi Wigglelt,

When did you first notice this, on which meds were you at the time?

Typically, I noticed the same side effect when I was on nortriptylene. Not before when I was on the other meds.

My hairline was receding, but overall not getting thinner.

Loss of hair is not recorded as a possible side effect in the leaflet coming with nortrilen. But I am now for sure it is a side effect!

Just goes to show that the pharmaceutical industry is fooling us (my opinion).

I've only recently stopped nortrilen so I cannot tell you if the hair growth will come back.

x

chicken

When I was on Mirtazipine I had a lot of hair loss. The drain would get full when I washed my hair.

All this stopped when I got off that particular AD.

WiggleIt

hi Wigglelt,

When did you first notice this, on which meds were you at the time?

Typically, I noticed the same side effect when I was on nortriptylene. Not before when I was on the other meds.

My hairline was receding, but overall not getting thinner.

Loss of hair is not recorded as a possible side effect in the leaflet coming with nortrilen. But I am now for sure it is a side effect!

Just goes to show that the pharmaceutical industry is fooling us (my opinion).

I've only recently stopped nortrilen so I cannot tell you if the hair growth will come back.

x

Sky, 

I was on nortriptyline, then desipramine, and also on lorazepam.  I did not have hair loss on the meds, but the hair loss has started now that I am seven months off meds.

Mort81

If I had hair to lose Im sure I would have lost it already. But thankfully my hair line changed at 30 lol. Im glad bald really suits me .

sky68

hi Wigglelt,

sorry to hear your story. Hope the hair loss is a temporary issue and that all will recover at some point.

In your sig I read you have vision problems, I have those too. It started like a year or so ago when I was still on nortrilen. But now, after quitting a few weeks ago this problem seems to aggravate. The meds mess you up in all kinds of ways..

x

DLB

I have had male thinning hair before meds 11 years ago but now that I'm off it is most definately more hair and quicker growing.

bluebalu86

My hair started falling out on Cipralex - that's the reason I wanted to quit. Now that I CT'ed and reinstated I can't really tell what's going on because I cut it very short. 

MostlyWater

The hairloss caused by withdrawal is due to stress in my opinion. It happened to me. My hair started falling out months after I stopped using Paxil and I was 21 so I know it's not due to age. It's been about 22 months and unfortunately my hair is still thin but its not as bad as I thought it would be. I've gotten used to it also, so I don't really think about it anymore.. Just something I have to accept. It might thicken out a little bit but I have no hope that my hair will recover to how it was before meds. Maybe yours will. The rate of hair loss I think has also declined over the months due to me just recovering from all the stress. Good luck. Sry I dont have a more optimistic thing to say

reachingforthestars

I have had hair loss as a side effect from citalopram but now after too fast tapering from 12.5mg to 4mg the hairloss has become way worse. Is it typical that during tapering the side effects become more intense?

WiggleIt

I have had hair loss as a side effect from citalopram but now after too fast tapering from 12.5mg to 4mg the hairloss has become way worse. Is it typical that during tapering the side effects become more intense?

I have no idea.  My stupid doctors told me to CT, so I don't know what taper life is like.

All I know is that between May - November 2015, HALF, yes HALF of my hair has fallen out and the right side of my hairline has receded by an inch, which is an oh-so-attractive look for a 36 year old female.

The shedding keeps going severely every day.  At this rate, I'll be needing wigs in another six months.

ladybug

I am experiencing severe hair loss too. I've gone through a couple of periods with major hair shedding, but it always seems to stop after a couple of months. This time it's not stopping. My hair has never ever been this thin. I've been having some thyroid issues, but since it's only my TSH that fluctuates and my T4 is always in the optimal range so it's considered subclinical hypothyroidism and my doctors won't treat it. I'm scared to take the meds anyway since WD has made me so sensitive to drugs/supplements. As if I weren't stressed enough, this has made me so depressed.

reachingforthestars

Maybe hair loss is due to hormonal imbalance? Increased testosterone or just reduced estrogen levels? Somewhere Alto said that during withdrawal thyroid hormones and other hormones can go somewhat out of balance.  

ladybug

I had my estrogens, LH, FSH, and testosterone tested and they were all in the normal range. My iron was just out of range but still the best it's been in years including times where my hair was not falling out.

Purplestars22

I have had problems with my hair thinning and shedding since I hit tolerance from Celexa in 2012. It has been getting worse and there has been no improvements. My scalp is visible on the sides of my head. It's a hard problem to deal with being a woman in a society that definines beauty as having long, full and voluminous head of hair. Hopefully with a clean diet, relaxation techniques, some hair growth serums and time will help grow my hair.

UnfoldingSky

Just a few more things I thought of that might help deal with hair issues..

One trick I learned ages ago to cover thinned areas that aren't big bald patches, is to get some eye shadow that matches your hair color, and apply it to your scalp.  I've been doing that for years and people would tell me my hair wasn't thinning when I complained because I had it covered up.  Works pretty well for my hair color.  I am not sure if they still make this but there used to be a product for men that sprayed on that covered patches, sort of like spray paint, same sort of idea only that one was probably more toxic and expensive.

And for those whose hair loss isn't so severe that they have patches missing that would require a wig be worn, they now have human hair extensions that are on a wire that just sits on your head.  I haven't tried them as they are fairly expensive but, they are nowhere near as expensive as a really good wig would be and theoretically at least should be less damaging.

I've also found that removing chlorine with a chlorine shower filter makes my hair look fuller and feel softer.  From what I understand this is a common problem with chlorine, it will make your hair look flatter and duller.  It definitely seems to have helped others I know who tried it too who don't even have psych drug issues.  However I am pretty sure they don't fit every shower so this may not be an option for everyone.

And in case anyone has issues with hair texture and they don't already know this trick, frizzy hair can be somewhat helped by rinsing in really cold water just before you get out of the shower.

ladybug

I have also read that Evening Primrose Oil and MSM are good for female hair loss. The EPO doesn't so much facilitate hair growth as much as it slows the shedding. The MSM is the one that is supposed to make your hair grow faster and thicker. Of course, I'm too scared to try either.

My doctor recently prescribed me Spironolactone for my hair loss. It's a drug that is used to lower high blood pressure, but it also has anti androgenic properties so it is used for female hormone issues caused by high testosterone or androgen sensitivity (acne, hair loss, hirsuitism, all of which I have.) But, like with most meds/supplements, I am terrified to take it. Especially since the worst crash I've ever had occurred right after starting birth control pills. Ever since then I've been wary of anything that messes with my hormones significantly. However, vanity is also a powerful influence.

Pretzle

I had hair loss at my highest dose of Citalopram (40mg), it's why I initially went back to 30 mg. I'm not at 6 mg (liquid) and so far my hair is fine... It has recovered quite a bit from where it was when I was at 40 mg :) I think it will probably recover completely for most of us.