SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Reactive hypoglycemia? Low blood sugar and symptoms

Ellen042

I'd love your input.  I'm just in my second week of AD withdrawal (trazodone in my case), but something weird happened today.  I got shakey on the inside.  I assumed it was either the three! cups of coffee I had consumed in the morning or AD withdrawal, but when I ate a brownie after lunch, it stopped.  Think the shakes may have been WD hypoglycemia.  They haven't come back.  If this is WD hypoglycemia, do I just stop eating sugar, or should I stop all carbs the best I can?  I don't have to go get checked out by my doctor, do I?  Hypoglycemia does run in my family.  Thanks!

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

Wild guess...it is you more sensitive to blood sugar fluctuations than you used to be. I believe hypoglycemia comes in two forms...blood sugar drops abnormally to an abnormal level, or body reacts like blood sugar has dropped too low, when it's just dropped some. In other words, your body can raise the point where a decrease in blood sugar triggers a reaction. Good protein and healthy fat can help, as well as decreasing simple carbs like white flour and sugar. I think this is connected to the cortisol aspect of withdrawal.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

I've had weird fluctuations in my ability to handle simple carbs and also bouts of low blood sugar which stabilized after a while.

Suggest you go carefully, listen to your body and, overall, reduce your intake of both caffeine and sugar. Both can cause strange symptoms in hypersensitive people.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you both. You're right: I need to cut back the caffeine and sugar. Had a Snickers after dinner last night and two cups of coffee this am, and now I'm paying for both with the internal shakes. Will probably have a few sips of oj just to make the shakes stop.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

Protei and healthy fats will keep you more even. OJ is a fast lift and a fast drop.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 3 months later...

Someone got bloodsugar dips from withdrawals?

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

Hi Bellisimo,

I feel like I did during withdrawal even though I never took the time to do careful testing with a glucometer.    Do you have one that you could test with as that might answer your question?

If not, maybe purchasing one would be an option which of course, is a whole other issue.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

There was a point where I was almost convinced my blood sugar was low or high or out of whack somehow. I felt so concerned that I bought a glucometer. It turned out my blood sugar was fine. Normal fasting glucose, normal after meals. It was a relief, but never explained why I had all the symptoms of blood sugar problems. I guess I can chalk it up to more crazy withdrawal nonsense.

2000 - Prescribed Zoloft for acute Agoraphobia and Depression
2000-2011 - Zoloft 50-100mg
2011-2012 - Celexa 40mg
2012 - Went through trying Seroquel, Lamictal, Viibryd, Zoloft, Mirtazapine (worst year of my life)
January 2013 - Paxil 20mg
March-October 2013 - Paxil 10mg
November 2013- January 2014 - Paxil 5mg (went to one week of 2.5mg in the beginning of Feb.)

MED FREE - February 6, 2014

Hi Bellisimo,

I feel like I did during withdrawal even though I never took the time to do careful testing with a glucometer.    Do you have one that you could test with as that might answer your question?

If not, maybe purchasing one would be an option which of course, is a whole other issue.

CS

I was thinking about that myself to buy a glucometer and look myself.. I think i will just order one so i can see before ive eaten, after and all these.

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

I think this is what i might be dealing with. Every single time i eat something sweet i have a severe reaction - Dizziness, confusion, vertigo, heart palpitations, shakiness

What can i do about this? Do i need to go test myself for diabetes??? Im so dizzy i  can barey type. This is very disturbing.

A question for GiaK. Does the Anti-Histamine diet help for hypoglycaemia?

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

I think this is what i might be dealing with. Every single time i eat something sweet i have a severe reaction - Dizziness, confusion, vertigo, heart palpitations, shakiness

What can i do about this? Do i need to go test myself for diabetes??? Im so dizzy i  can barey type. This is very disturbing.

A question for GiaK. Does the Anti-Histamine diet help for hypoglycaemia?

I dont think its our sugar , i dont think u r a diabetic, i thought so aswell. I believe many have problems with sugar in the withdrawal process, just try put away some sugar, i did.. it helped.. but i felt my sugar got low instead :S but many ppl say they think this affect their bloodsugar but when they test themselves the sugar is normal

I for example cant drink alcohol, coffee, and candy and things, if i drink coffe my brain get crazy and i get panicattack after another and many other symtoms

I had what seemed to be blood sugar issues for the first 2 1/2 years as well, to the point I was thinking of buying a blood glucose checker! I was going nuts looking up the symptoms, and then I read that cortisol plays a big part in our blood sugar.

What helped me most was not eating refined carbs and really cutting back on sweets, and eating more frequent meals (3 main meals with one snack in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner). Also, zero caffeine. Aside from that, just time... now I can eat my normal 3 meals a day and on most days can tolerate eating sweets in the afternoon without major problems.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Wish I had read this thread a couple of years ago! I was also convinced I was having blood sugar issues and was about to buy a glucometer. Then I read about idiopathic postprandial syndrome and also about how raised cortisol levels can mimic hypoglycemia and/or affect blood sugar.

My suggestion would be to not even bother with the glucometer, or test yourself out of curiosity, but don't worry about the results either way. The best thing you can do is stay away from sweets and eat healthy snacks between meals (like almonds). The problem has entirely reversed itself for me, so I'm convinced it had to do with my cortisol levels. Just remind yourself that you are not going nuts, this is a real withdrawal symptom... but also not one that you should worry to much about. Just manage it by modifying your eating habits.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have reactive hypoglycemia. When you first eat, your blood sugar spikes, but then it crashes. There is a test for this where they take your blood sugar level fasting, then you eat something with sugar, and afterward, they take your blood sugar levels every hour or so. I suffer from this so I totally know what you're talking about. When I get dizzy from eating sugar, I've noticed drinking a whole bunch of water helps with the headache and dizziness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if other people experienced problems with blood sugar as well during withdrawal. For me at the moment it is really bad. Every day i have to eat a slice of bread with sugar a couple of times or my symptoms get really worse. Also almost every night , before i go to bed , i have to eat again a slice of bread with sugar , or i can't fall asleep. if i dont , i start to get adrenalin rushes and bad bouts of anxiety.

I want to cut down on sugar , but at the moment , it is the only thing that helps.

i'm getting worried that maybe there is something else , on top of withdraWal that is causing this.

Effexor free for 36 months. Still on 25mg of Solian.

Tapering Xanax and on a dose of 0,15mg , splitted in four doses.

Last reductions:
9/06: 1.875%
7/07: 2.5%

22/07: 1.96%

• Administrator

Merged similar topics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was wondering if other people experienced problems with blood sugar as well during withdrawal. For me at the moment it is really bad. Every day i have to eat a slice of bread with sugar a couple of times or my symptoms get really worse. Also almost every night , before i go to bed , i have to eat again a slice of bread with sugar , or i can't fall asleep. if i dont , i start to get adrenalin rushes and bad bouts of anxiety.

I want to cut down on sugar , but at the moment , it is the only thing that helps.

i'm getting worried that maybe there is something else , on top of withdraWal that is causing this.

I'm having a lot of trouble with low blood sugar, but I also have diabetes. If I don't eat frequent meals through the day..as well as eating something before I go to bed, I often have pretty severe drops in blood sugar..even more so with exercise.

What else have you tried eating? Even for a non-diabetic, I'd be a bit concerned about just consuming carbs like that. In most people, that produces higher blood sugar, followed by a sharper drop.

For people who have hypoglycemia, it's generally recommended to eat more frequently through the day...and include each time a complex carb, protein, and fat. This helps maintain more level blood sugar, and the protein and fat carry things along and prevent the rapid rise and drop. That could be something like cheese with crackers, nuts and fruit, yogurt and berries, or whole grain bread with peanut butter.

The fluctuations in cortisol likely affect blood sugar levels and vice versa.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm having this issue too. Have not measured blood sugar (in fact last I checked my blood sugar was too high as a result of weight gain), but I have these odd symptoms that get worse the longer I spend between meals: tension, depressed mood, hanger pangs even its been that long sinceI ate, feeling that I don't get full with normal portions, waking up in the morning with "hangover headache", eyes feel irritated in the morning when I get up, can't sleep because I need to eat after hours....

Never had this withdrawal symptom before so I'm not sure if it is withdrawal. It also started 4 weeks after cutting dose when withdrawal usually starts after 10 days to two weeks for me. For a few days before this started I had more typical withdrawal symptoms though, like malaise, headache, lightheadedness, drowsiness. That has gotten better but now the hunger thing started.

Staying at the same dose of prozac for at least 4weeks to see how this evolves...

Not a fun symptom at all...

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

This kind of summaries my understanding of why so many of us have problems with sugar in withdrawal:

chronic stress/WD from SSRI --> cortisol impairment --> insulin dysregulation --> blood sugar imbalance/insulin resistance --> hormone and mood imbalances

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

• 1 year later...

This is something I have experienced, and is exacerbated when I feel anxious.

I actually reported these events to my doc who said there was no need for me to have a blood sugar test done.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 year later...

(i am french)

1998 prazépam, citalopram /1999 paroxetine prazepam /2000 paroxétine /2001venafaxine, alprazolam, clomipramine * 2002 (dont remember)/2003 clomipramine, alprazolam /2004 clomipramine /2005 alprazolam /2006(dont remember) * 2007citalopram, alprazolam, prazépam, venlafaxine /2008(dont remember) /2009 venlafaxine /2010 venlafaxine *All precedent withdrawal were very fast. I tried many times to stop but didn't know what happened. *2011 mirtazapine (22,5 mg) , norset , risperdal (cold turkey for risperdal and norset, analysis by doctor say that my body does not support and i was in danger) /2012 mirtazapine / 2013 mirtazapine  *october 2014 mirtazapine (15mg) - putting down slowly.   *when i was good for one month i  down 1ml. (1ml of 100ml of water in which there was 1 pill of 15mg of mirtazapine. At the end i remove 1ml of 50ml of water but with 0,5 pill it does the same concentration.) (i down more like "how i feel, because at the beginning i had a calendar tapping 10% every 15 days and i was really bad, so i decided to see one month and after if i was trust in my body, i remove 10% of the dose at the beginning; and at the end i remove 1ml (when the 10% was lower than 1ml). It was more how i feel. (it is just the last 1 ml that i remove rapidly because i think i was attached mentally and i need to break. and 1ml of 50ml of 15/2mg is just 1ml correspond to 0.15mg. ).  -juillet 2017 stop all. 

nov 2017 tetany and gastritis. I found "euphytose", "spasmine", "phyto-stress" from Govital(the more efficient if crisis because more concentrated)  efficient. If very bad i take valerian extract 1000mg (stop crisis). 

january 2022: I survive. Still having no hunger sensation.

I had an hypoglaecaemic "episode" on Friday night.......this was because I hadn't eaten anything for 6 hrs, right before dinner I broke into a sweat, felt off, panicky and was desperate for something to eat.

ADs can cause blood sugar issues and so can peri-menopause.

However, having had my blood sugar level tested multiple times as well as sugar in urine - both have always come back NORMAL.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, Junglechicken said:

This is something I have experienced, and is exacerbated when I feel anxious.

I actually reported these events to my doc who said there was no need for me to have a blood sugar test done.

Just had another episode.

I think it was due to the fact that I was up 2 hrs earlier than usual for an interview, followed by a lot of rushing around.  I ate a very sustaining breakfast (avocado, poached eggs on granary toast) @ 7am, had lunch at 1pm.

Thought it was my anxiety getting the better of me again.

Major Life Events: 

• 5 months later...

A/D withdrawals definately gave me symptoms of low blood sugar. The withdrawal gotta be messing with insulin levels or resistance. I just came off St Johns Wort and i can feel it. Pubmed’s got reports showing so. I went out and bought a blood glucose meter and my blood sugar levels were in range fasting, before and after meals. The mornings are rough like I have hypoglycemia...but the meter reads normal. Not too long after i eat eggs, i feel much better. I wake up starving. Sometimes im hungry right after i eat. I hope it goes away. Day 7.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone developed large blood sugar swings due to worsening withdrawal, waves, etc? I didn't seem to have this issue and then since being off I've gone through periods where I'm very reactive to food in that it can cause highs and lows. Some of the lows are incapacitating. Diet is spot on. Seems to be a withdrawal thing with the SSRIs and serotonin. Any incite would be welcome. Thanks!

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

May 2016 - Last dose of Valium after 2 year long taper from 15mg

June 2017- Last dose of the corticosteroid Hydrocortisone after taper

July 2019- Last dose of Prozac after 2 year long taper from 30mg

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, AlaskanGlacier said:

've gone through periods where I'm very reactive to food in that it can cause highs and lows

I can't eat sugar in any form.  Even a sip of orange juice sends a shot of anxiety through my system.  We are very sensitized in WD, and foods that we could eat before now aren't tolerated.  Same with supplements.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Yes.  The only thing that helps me is to stay away from sugar -- it gives me definite extreme highs and lows.   Even fruit can cause problems sometimes   I figure it won't go away until the rest of the withdrawal symptoms go away, unfortunately

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

Thanks for the replies guys. At times it's been an afterthought, and some days it makes it hard to do anything, because you always need to have food on mind. The lows get scary, even though I eat well and balance. Yesterday in particular I got so low around lunch it felt like i'd pass out. Can't wait till this is over.

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

• Altostrata changed the title to Reactive hypoglycemia? Low blood sugar and symptoms

Didn't see this thread. Thanks!

Helps to somewhat explain the reactive hypoglycemia, hunger ups and downs, and general blood sugar wackiness for those dealing with SSRI Hell/WD.

"As in thrombocytes, serotonylation regulates the secretion of storage granules from these cells. "Under normal conditions serotonin controls the release of insulin, the most important hormone in the regulation of blood glucose concentration of humans and animals", explains Diego Walther. When the serotonin levels are low like in serotonin-deficient mice, proper insulin secretion is hampered and blood glucose concentration rises to noxious levels after a meal, a hallmark of diabetes. The identification of the insulin-releasing action of serotonin opens new avenues for intervention in diabetes, a main research objective for further studies by the international team."

https://www.mpg.de/593605/pressRelease20091028?fbclid=IwAR3uCJThPQIcokI5vIKT-KY8bkL__SfgwAePomc6zg_OihPEfXnpdSfqAJQ

• 2 years later...

I apologize if this topic has been discussed already, but I’m not finding anything using the search function. 

Does anyone else feel that your blood sugar is wildly off when you’re in WD? For the past year I’ve been eating low carb and my blood sugar has been level and healthy and I’ve felt fine. Last week I resumed my taper after a hold and now I’m struggling with hypoglycemia symptoms. It seems like no matter what or when I eat, I feel shaky, weak, dizzy/lightheaded, and extremely hungry. It’s even woken me up from sleep a few times. I’ve never had this problem before. When it happens, I eat something high in protein, moderate in fat, and low on carbs; and it usually helps the extreme hunger subside, but not always. I now feel ravenous even an hour or two after eating and feel like if I don’t eat that I’ll pass out. I’ve checked my blood sugar a couple times during these episodes and it’s been in the 90-110 range - normal. So perhaps I’m feeling a “false hypo”? 

Can anyone shed some light on this? Based on what I’ve read on other posts, it could be related to cortisol, but I don’t understand how. 

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

@catmama

This sounds all too familiar! I can really relate to what you describe. 

I'm inclined to believe the cravings and extreme hunger have to do with cortisol dysregulation (at least in my case). 

Personally that's what it has felt like to me, as I haven't experienced hypoglycemia in WD. Quite the contrary, if anything (haven't tested but suspected high blood sugar).  

Usually if it's low blood sugar and one eats something, the shakiness, weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness resolve. 

Please note that shakiness, weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness are all common WD symptoms in general. I've had those WD symptoms, too, without hypoglycemia. 

Might it be possible that you are experiencing WD symptoms that mimic those of hypoglycemia, while not actually having low blood sugar -- and at the same time WD may be causing cortisol issues leading to extreme hunger signals and cravings? 

I don't know, of course, just guessing; and I don't know what it is to be you. You know your body best. 

It's tricky sometimes to sort through these things especially as various conditions in the body can produce similar symptoms. WD is so mysterious!

However, since you are eating keto/low-carb and you've actually tested your blood sugar to be normal, doesn't seem likely that it's hypoglycemia. 

Cortisol is a significant issue in WD (e.g. cortisol spikes on waking) and with SSRI use. There is still much that remains unknown and un-studied. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, catmama said:

I apologize if this topic has been discussed already, but I’m not finding anything using the search function. 

Does anyone else feel that your blood sugar is wildly off when you’re in WD? For the past year I’ve been eating low carb and my blood sugar has been level and healthy and I’ve felt fine. Last week I resumed my taper after a hold and now I’m struggling with hypoglycemia symptoms. It seems like no matter what or when I eat, I feel shaky, weak, dizzy/lightheaded, and extremely hungry. It’s even woken me up from sleep a few times. I’ve never had this problem before. When it happens, I eat something high in protein, moderate in fat, and low on carbs; and it usually helps the extreme hunger subside, but not always. I now feel ravenous even an hour or two after eating and feel like if I don’t eat that I’ll pass out. I’ve checked my blood sugar a couple times during these episodes and it’s been in the 90-110 range - normal. So perhaps I’m feeling a “false hypo”? 

Can anyone shed some light on this? Based on what I’ve read on other posts, it could be related to cortisol, but I don’t understand how. 

Hi @catmama

Are you also unusually hot and sweaty? It might be worth getting your thyroid hormones checked out - extreme hunger and shakiness are classic hyperthyroidism symptoms. Usually accompanied with heat intolerance. It's a simple blood test.

I see you are taking levothyroxine, your doctor may have overshot your dosage. Pls get blood tests as soon as possible. Don't just lower your dosage yourself. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus

I suspect I've always had issues with hypoglycemia.  Before ever getting on drugs, I would have a light breakfast in the morning (tea and toast) and 2 or 3 hours later be weak, shaky, and lightheaded.  I would have a snack, and it would resolve.  I could never skip meals, and often needed a snack between meals.  

Now, in WD, I find that even when I'm eating 3 square meals a day, I sometimes wake up at 3 or 4 AM.  After I lay there a while, I'll start having hunger pangs, so I eat an ounce of mixed nuts, and then I'll feel better and fall back asleep.  Or, sometimes, I can't go to sleep at night, and 2 hours later, about 11 PM or 12 AM, I'll have hunger pangs, eat nuts, then fall asleep.  Strange, the things that PAWS does to us.  However, I walk 30 - 60 minutes every day, and work in my garden and yard every day, so maybe I'm burning more calories than I realize. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy