Reactive hypoglycemia? Low blood sugar and symptoms

Ellen042

• Moderator Emeritus

similar topics merged.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 5 months later...

Wow I wish I had’ve found this topic earlier. I’ve been experiencing this on and off for the last 12 months. Been to the doctors a number of times and even the ER once. Also explains why I’m always hungry and craving sugar a lot of the time. Can be really scary when you don’t know what’s happening and the doctor keeps telling you there’s nothing wrong. Does this resolve for everyone over time?

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

• 5 months later...

I just read through this whole thread. I’m also experiencing “faux hypoglycemic episodes”. My hands and legs get shaky every day. I’ve changed my diet. I checked with a glucometer. I got full blood work done and my thyroid is fine and I don’t have diabetes. Is it truly harmless? I feel hindered by the shakes, it makes me feel weak like I shouldn’t do some chores or errands when I otherwise feel fine. It seems like a not very common withdrawal symptom so I’m worried. I’ve had it about 3 months now. 

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 
2/21 Prescribed 20mg Prozac/ day. 
11/21 Finally tapered off Lorazepam

1/22 unsuccessful Prozac taper (skipping days)

2/22 Reinstated at 20mg daily

5/22 Switch to liquid Prozac

6/22 Begin Prozac taper of .08mg every couple weeks

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 
12/22 Begin windows and waves of depression, panic and hopelessness

6/23 Symptoms stopped worsening but are still present 

9/23 Having more good days than bad, symptoms drastically lessening

Can any member or admin chime in? My hypoglycemia seems to be progressing. Yesterday I was starving all day. Literally hungry after eating anything. I eat every 1.5-2 hours and take in 2,500-2,700 calories daily. There might be some refined carbs but it’s mostly pretty healthy. Eggs, smoothies, avocado, nuts etc. I couldn’t sleep because I was hungry and woke up in a major sweat with my heart beating hard. Eating is becoming triggering to me because I don’t know how I’ll feel after. Anyone dealt with this? I just started sleeping through the night again this month and now I’m losing sleep to blood sugar issues. 

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 

I had this issue while tapering Seroquel. I would get blood sugar drops down into the 50's. They passed and I don't get them any longer. I also had big drops in blood pressure and those episodes passed as well. Treatment was eating carbs to raise blood sugar and resting until the episode passed. If you feel really bad then go to the ER if needed and keep records with your glucometer to try and find any patterns that may be helpful.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

@FeralCatman hi! Thank you so much for responding. A glucometer doesn’t seem to give me any indication because my readings are always fine. How long did this last for you? Can you give me some examples of what you ate when you had a blood sugar drop?

If the glucometer readings are normal then it may not be blood sugar drops it could also be a drop in blood pressure which I also had and for those there was nothing you could do but take a break until it passed. When I did have a glucose drop I took a couple of spoonfuls of honey or some concentrated fruit juice and I also bought a bottle of glucose tablets that I kept with me.  It's the same sort of stuff you would do for diabetes so any diabetes advice would be applicable. There were times when it would take several hours to recover.  Another possibility for your symptoms could be that you're low on fluids and or electrolytes which also happened to me and at the time I could still drink Gatorade and oftentimes that would help very quickly. If glucometer readings and blood pressure readings are normal then this may also just be an autonomic nervous system symptom of withdrawal that will pass but if you have any doubts at all or questions go get it checked and if they find nothing then it is most likely just a symptom of withdrawal that will pass. If you haven't had any blood work in a while you may want to get it done and see if anything is out of whack. When I need something checked like that sometimes I just order the test online and go to a private lab and get it done which can be easier if you don't mind paying for it or just go to your doctor and describe what's going on and they should run blood work to check a few things to make sure this isn't something else.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

This has been a consistent problem for me since my withdrawal began years ago but i’ve done tons of testing and it turns out I actually do have low blood sugar. It’s gotten worse over time and it really affects my withdrawal because glucose dysregulation and high insulin levels can cause wild mood swings. I was recently put on medication for it but it hasn’t helped much so far. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy