Hangingon: Returning symptoms,desperate, reinstate?

Hangingon

So desperate....

Not wanting to go into my full story yet. I've been reading the site for months looking for hope.

Withdrawal! 7 months off final ssri. Suffered horrifically from convulsive type fits (which have subsides) but still shake,can't eat,can't sleep,horrific anxiety,panic attacks,.... I'll tell the whole story later.

Returning of symptoms.... Everything I took meds for is returning 100 fold....

I read stories of recovery from withdrawal but what about original problems?

I'm ready to reinstate meds. I can't deal w the symptoms and the horrific suicidal ideation.

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Still experiencing disabling symptoms.

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

August 28: increased Prozac to 1.5 mg hoping for some relief.

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hangingon

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi hangingon ,   welcome to the site.   You probably know from your reading that what you're experiencing is "normal"

in respect to SSRI withdrawal.

Is there anyone there with you?   How best can we be helpful for you at the moment?

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Hangingon,

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but I'm glad you found us and decided to post. As Fresh wrote, what you are going through is most likely withdrawal, but we can't be certain until we have a few more details of your drug and tapering history.

If you could tell us a little more, then we might have some suggestions about what would help. Going back on a small amount of a previous medication can sometimes be helpful, its called reinstatement and can sometimes stop withdrawal symptoms depending on the circumstances. Then a slow taper can be started.

We will be able to help more when we know more.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hangingon Welcome.

How did you taper ? Did you CT.?

i am confused are you 7 months drug free or did you taper for 7 months.

Just worth clarifying although at a first read it appears you are saying you are 7 months drug free.

Did you taper at the 10% rec rate?

What drugs did you take.

Personally if you have been taking an ssri and tried to get off then id say the symptoms are classic wdl; in which case i'd push the delete button on all other previous conditions. Besides when you say its 100 times worse than prior issues then that sounds like wdl all right.

Here is a wdl symptom checklist

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I posted my info page.

I have been off all drugs 7 months after a far to fast taper. 50%

I am living with my mom so not alone but very stressed and still anxious and terrified.

So if the drugs were used to treat a condition, does it not make sense that when the drugs are discontinued, that the condition would return?  I feel my condition has returned along with the horrific withdrawal.

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

oh my i am so sorry you are in this most difficult position.

Imo your drug(s) is definitely your problem .

What on earth was the doctors justification for that smorgasboard of drugs?

So you tapered of all at the same time with a 50% reduction ...what per week ? So off all drugs in 3 weeks? You say you are off all meds may 2015. But if you have been off 7 months would that not be off all meds Nov 14?? Sorry just trying to clarify. The wdl is often delayed and the 6 week delay is very common. You are describing classic wdl. imo

ri may be needed but a ri of what ? and at what dosage? At 7 months drug free you are in a tricky  time window in deciding what to do imo. Do you think you can cope continuing drug free with these manifestations for another 12 months or so? The wdl symptoms will recede in time but it may take many months years even for some. 

I hope  some wise advise will come in shortly.

Wishing you strength at this time. Its good you are with family.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

The reductions were over a two year period. With the exception of the Prozac which was 4 weeks, 4 weeks,4 weeks

No, I can't take the level of non functioning and horrible six. Ri of Prozac maybe?

oops sorry just realized you have put this info behind the scenes ...ill read there thanks

Recovering paxil addict

Oh my i am so sorry the medical profession have let you down like this.

There are people who have recovered after being made a  medicated train wreck. It was a long journey. You brain is working hard to heal.

Rightly or wrongly I personally am against ri once starting to accumulate significant drug free months . 

i would like to tell you that when i went drug free i was a nonfunctioning human for over two yrs couldnt cook simply lived on fruit and bagged soups. 

Someone jsut asked if i am getting windows and i can tell you at 4.5 yrs i am getting windows on my windows but it is a long journey.

However one member mapleleaf ri after 11 months off from memory and then slowly tapered over 4 years.

Your drug has definitely been your problem. Whats the bet you were never bipolar at all. 

There are very knowledgable mods here hopefully one will be in soon.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for doing your signature HO , it's a big help.

You did the prozac taper over 4 weeks - when did it finish?    As you've said the last drug you jumped off was prozac , that

seems to be the thing to look at first. 

It may be that reinstating a small amount of prozac will diminish the worst of the w/d symptoms.

The thread on reinstating is thread 1 in the Symptoms and Self Care section (sorry , can't do links today).  Please read this carefully.

There are no guarantees , but it works for many of us.

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Here is the link Fresh and Petu have referred to ...its well worth reading.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

• If you've had withdrawal symptoms for a month or more, it's likely your system is somewhat sensitized to drugs. You might wish to try reinstating at a lower dosage, such as 2mg-5mg (if you had been taking 20mg Celexa).
  • Your present condition. If you have symptoms of hyper-reactivity, alerting (anxiety, panic, sleeplessness), you may be too sensitive for reinstatement. If you want to try it anyway, you might wish to try reinstating at a very low dosage, such as 1mg (if you had been taking 20mg Celexa).
  • How long you've been off the drug. If you've been off the drug for many months, reinstatement is less likely to work. If you want to try it anyway, you might wish to try reinstating at a very low dosage, such as 1mg (if you had been taking 20mg Celexa).

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

After reading through your thread and about me section, I'm still unclear about when you stopped taking Prozac. Would you let us know the approximate date of the last dose you took, and what that dose was. I'm assuming that you stopped from 10mg about 6 weeks ago.

I'm thinking that reinstatement of a partial dose might be your best option, 2 or 3mg might be enough.  Then if it works, once you have been stable for a while, you could begin a slow, safe taper off that.

Read through the link about reinstatement that NZ11 posted for you above and let us know if its something you would like to try. Do you have any prozac left?

Here is our prozac tapering topic where you will find information about how to take smaller amounts of your medication.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Last dose of Prozac was October 2014

No I don't have any Prozac left. I see a new psychiatrist next week.Im pissed that the docs took me off so quickly and that was before I found this site to educate myself.

I live in hyper fear (of everything!) these days and terrified to continue this way seemingly getting worse each day and just as terrified to reinstate!

How do I move beyond all this and live life?

It would be very wise to check in with SA  for a second opinion if advised and prescribed anything from a psychiatrist.

See a different psychiatrist get a different diagnosis.

The last one said you had anxiety. What will this one say...how about 'an underlying depression  so lets give celexa a go that could be the one thats right for you and dont forget a dash of ativan only as needed ' ..or ..'your bipolar diagnosis was wrong you are really psychotic here have some seroquel and some xanax 3 times a day'. 

You are the nail and they are the hammer and they will label and drug. I love to be surprised though. 

You are amazing to have gone  7 months drug free ...i reckon you can do it again. I would like to tell you many report improvement in yr 1-2 and even more in yr 2-3.

However wdl is war and war is brutal so yeah if you have to ri then i guess you have to ri ..if so then as mentioned 'start low is the way to go'.

Hang in there Hangingon

Recovering paxil addict

Suggested to reinstate 10mg of Prozac.

I desperately want to try but terrified it.l make things worse

• Moderator Emeritus

Because we have become sensitive to these meds ,   you may find a dose much smaller than 10mg will allow

you to stabilize.

I agree with Petunia's suggestion to start with trying just 2 or3mg at first.  It needs 4 days to reach a steady state in

the blood stream , so you can assess the need to increase then.

There is a small risk that you will have an adverse reaction to prozac , that it will make things worse.    

If you've taken only a small dose , it will be less intense and over quicker than if you start with 10mg.

Do you have tablets or capsules?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

What would constitute an adverse reaction?

• Moderator Emeritus

If you get new , more disturbing symptoms within 24-48 hours.

E.g ,impulsive ideas of self harm/suicide, akathisia , anything that you haven't had before and is overwhelming.

I can see from your first post you're having alot of scary symptoms at the moment , but you'll know if you suddenly

feel much worse.

Hopefully the effect will be to take the edge off the worst symptoms , and you might notice that pretty quickly.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

So... Unsuccessful! Doc says nope, not post discontinuation, it's anxiety disorder. Figured 10 mg was safe....

I took it in am and that night I woke having SEEN n w felt like my brain was growing...enlarging like a football and

I SAW my neutrons firing bright white lights! FREAKED. Me out! Then had a rash on my face n chest in the morning :(:

Then doc says, oh, must be too strong, try taking it every other day n that wil make it 5mg/day.... I thought about it n decided there is no way I'm going thru that again. Am I a chicken ****?! My family wants me to keep trying. Give it some time. We are all desperate as I'm so sick and can't keep on like this. I'm getting sicker by the day w all the weight I've lost and still losing

I could still take the dose tonight.

• Administrator

Hello, Hangingon.

Very few doctors recognize withdrawal syndrome of any type. and even fewer understand that it can last a long time.

Please read this What is withdrawal syndrome?

Your system has been sensitized. Please read other topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for suggestions about how to deal with symptoms.

By the way, we don't deal with diagnoses here. If you read the Intro topics, you'll see many people have been repeatedly misdiagnosed; that and being treated with drugs for adverse reactions from other psychiatric drugs has led them into a polypharmacy that only made them worse.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for updating us Hangingon.

Doc says nope, not post discontinuation, it's anxiety disorder.

"What will this one say...how about 'an underlying depression......"..ok i admit it i was wrong.  But i was close.

Copied from post number 4

Here is a wdl symptom checklist

http://survivinganti...ptom-checklist/

My family wants me to keep trying. Give it some time.

Family family family...pharmas best kept secret !...boy sure know about this. Give it some time...one month or less say and dependence is established and voila 10 yrs just disappeared.

Alternating doses is also dangerous ...as Ann Blake Tracey said abrupt changes in the dose can cause suicidal and homicidal tendancies. To suggest this reveals a complete ignorance of the potency of these chemicals. 

As i read elsewhere on this site 'alternating dosages is playing ping pong with the nervous system'. (from memory i think that was an Alto-ism).

Yep sure can relate to this ..its ping pong with firecrackers.

So sorry you are in this terrible place.

Wishing you strength at this difficult time.

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 weeks later...

So gave up on the 10mg, rested a few days, then tried 1mg. Don't know if it's working or making it worse! I'm so desperate for relief from the brain electrical zinging, anxiety, akasthesia!

Taken the 1mg for 7 days. If I discontinue the 1mg do I have to taper? Have I really screwed things up now and have to go thru another withdrawal?!Please help. I'm desperate and feeling suicidal again

Maybe the inositol, phenyl gabamax is making things worse? Seems to help the anxiety sometimes

I think I had a reaction to l tryptophan, woke one morning feeling like I was having a stroke, my lips were numb and my face felt funny. It passed

I discontinued the TrueHope vitamins cause it either wasn't helping or maybe making things worse.

You are not alone, I'm right there with you. I can tell you that better days are ahead, it's just hard to see that now. Did the drugs work?

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Nope, don't think so, thus I died about how I stop the 1 mg prozac

• Administrator

Did the 1mg Prozac have any affect? Did it make your symptoms better or worse?

If no effect, you might try 2mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I thought that maybe they may be having an effect on the brain zinging but it's back worse than ever.

Had one really good day where the anxiety was very manageable, had a few happy thoughts and memories, others thought they saw a glimpse of the old me...

I had rash from 10 mg but that was toomuch and maybe reacted with the other supplements I was taking.

Scared to stop the 1 mg, scared to try the 2 mg

Omg, why did I even try this?!

• Moderator Emeritus

If 1mg isn't making you obviously worse, maybe stick with it and monitor your symptoms for a while. Then if you notice no improvement or slight improvement, you could increase to 2mg.

Read through this topic again so you know what to expect

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I'm asking now how to discontinue the 1 mg that I even taken for a week. I reduced dose to .50 mg this morning

Wondering what to expect if I discontinue this amount... Will I go back into the original withdrawal? Or simply where I left

I'm so upset w myself for being so desperate to even think of trying reinstatement

• Moderator Emeritus

If you feel that the reinstatement of 1mg has made your symptoms worse, then reducing to .5mg was a good idea. If you want to stop the reinstatement completely, because its making you feel worse, then its ok to just stop. Its impossible to know how this will effect you, but because you only tried a small amount, this should minimize adverse effects from trying to reinstate

But if you keep jumping around in dose, starting and stopping drugs and supplements, its definitely going to make your symptoms worse.  See:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Definitely messing it up.... Went back to 1 mg today per family doc after two days on reduced amount

• Administrator

Good idea. You might consider a little more.

Your symptoms may come in waves for a while. If you get a wave, that doesn't mean reinstatement was a mistake.

Oh, so I haven't totally messed everything up? Had a major panic attack a couple of. Hours after taking the full dose this morning thinking, what have I done?! Putting this poison back into my system.

anxiety is there 24/7 . Panic and other symptoms come in very strong waves.

Psychiatrist is z'confident' that a homeopathic amount will help me find some relief. She said what have you got to lose cause it's all so intense and I am living in excruciating anxiety w severe depersonalization,de realization

Does akasthesia come in waves? Or is it just anxiety?

Fear is getting the best of me

This heat wave isn't helping any!

I reinstated 1 mg for one week...thought it was helping, then thought no, it's not, reduced .50 mg, x 2 days, then thought maybe I felt better at 1 mg... Screwed up.... Went back up to 1 mg cause family n doc thought it was best....

Doc says decide whether I want to continue, go up to 2 mg in few weeks or discontinue.

Why is the window for safely discontinuing? Or do I have to do a withdrawal?

Brain not functioning right, shouldn't have listened to them... How is it one gets so confused so easily?

I have noticed the cognitive function is quite poor. Simple things that I used to do by second nature have been forgotten and I have to relearn ... now things seem so complicated

Thanks for your input and advice

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Hangingon,

I have merged the new thread you created with your intruductory thread. We have one thread per member rule here. This way it's easier to follow your drug situation.

Fear is one of our biggest enemies in everything we do. After reading through your posts it seems that 10 mg was definitely too much for you which was expected. 1 mg seemed not to have produced new symptoms which is a very good sign for reinstating. Unfortunately you didn't let it enough time to work. It can take months to stabilise. Jumping around with doses in response to symptoms can't produce good results.

Recovery comes in what we call windows and waves patterns. It means that your symptoms don't disappear at once but they gradually become lesser and appear less frequently. But they still appear. In my stabilisation period, I focused on little periods of relief rather than on overall very bad situation I was in. That helped me to survive and gradually those initially small periods were getting bigger and bigger. Reading this thread over and over helped me tremendously not to panic over my symptoms and fear them: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

In any case you will have to make up your mind. Unfortunately, once our system gets disabilised there are no quick fixes. Allowing your brain stability OVER TIME is the best thing you can do. In the meantime you will have to learn to accept symptoms and learn to just observe them as they come and go like waves. It is very tough but you can do it. If I were you I would stick with 1 mg for let's say 10 days. If you don't feel any relief however slight, you might consider updosing to 2 mg as Alto suggested. It's never too late to treat your brain to some stability. 

Also as Petunia asked it would help us if you could put dates in your signature with your drug changes. 

Hang in there.

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Stil @ 1 mg. Is it possible to experience some relief at such a tiny dose?It appears that the brain zinging, tingling is easing somewhat, some times barely noticeable and other times just as intense....

My over breathing seems to be improved...

Others have commented that I look a tad bit more alive and perhaps a wee bit calmer...

Psych will be suggesting increase to 2 mg... Do I risk taking more?

Still have high fears of worsened symptoms, seeing my neurons fire, higher anxiety but if - mg is helping a bit will 2 mg help more?

Where do w draw the line?

And when the time comes to taper off that amount, how is it done?