Hangingon: Returning symptoms,desperate, reinstate?

Hangingon

Looking back in my notes, I reinstated the Prozac and 2 days later reduced gabamax (600 mg) and the inositol (reduced by 3 doses @ 6 g each) as they didn't seem to be helping that much and wanted to be able to see how just the Prozac would work.

I was told inositol is just a b vitamin so didn't think there'd be a problem.

I didn't notice an immediate effect from reducing the gabamax so just carried on.

It's so hard to tell what's what as my symptoms were so intense while on the supplements as well.

It was 2 weeks later i commented on the appetite changes, sugar craving and sexual urges and symptoms getting worse.

Now that I've totally messed things up, it's hard to know if it's the reinstatement or the reductions!

It's looking like the changes in symptoms may be the result in the decrease of the inositol and gaba.

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Still experiencing disabling symptoms.

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

August 28: increased Prozac to 1.5 mg hoping for some relief.

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hangingon

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

I was worried that the gaba and inositol were interacting and/ or potentially going to interact as the Prozac built up in my system and wanted to stop them.

So for tonight, I'll take the 1/2 tsp of gaba as I have been doing and how much of the inositol should I take.? The same reduced amount as last night or?

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

• Administrator

No, I would go back to your earlier inositol dosage.

When you stopped the inositol and reduced Gabamax, is that when the sexual sensations started?

Let me explain why I'm asking: There is symptom called Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD) , which can be caused by drugs or by going off drugs. I am concerned that if you increase the Prozac, it might make PGAD worse.

On the other hand, an increase in Prozac might help the brain zaps. So I am trying to unravel the effects of your supplements.

Please look at PGAD and see if that matches your symptom pattern.

B vitamins are neuroactive and many people with nervous systems sensitized by withdrawal have difficulty with them.

Are you taking fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Many people report they help with brain zaps (fish oil) and anxiety (fish oil and magnesium).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you. I'll take that dose tonight and reply to the rest of the questions tomorrow... My brain is razzled and I'm quite stressed with the confusion of my symptoms , the supplements and the reinstatement

Yes,taking omega 3 ,vit d, haven't added magnesium yet. Was worried about adding it to the mix at this point of confusion w symptoms

So wondering how I am going to get off the inositol and gaba so that I have the best chance of resolving symptoms with the reinstatement of the Prozac. I'm worried that the longer I'm on them, the more they'll interact w the prozac

• Administrator

I don't know if increasing Prozac is going to help.

Do the brain zaps follow any daily pattern? How are the other symptoms now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hmmm, we were thinking that increase in Prozac would maybe help... Why the change in heart now?

Brain zinging has a mind of its own and varies throughout the day

Strange symptoms I woke with yesterday are better. The Other symptoms are the same...huge anxiety, panic attacks, akasthesia. They too have a mind of their own... The only pattern that is consistent is that they are always worse in the morning.

• Administrator

Please see my post above. I was concerned that increasing Prozac might increase PGAD, if that's what you have.

I am not sure if it is pgad or not.... I have a high libido previous to wd. The libido completely disappeared for 7 months. Perhaps it's just returning? The genitals aren't swollen or anything like that...it's more of an internal feeling

• Administrator

Please read the links I gave you and decide if your symptoms match PGAD.

Psych doc said, congrats! Your libido is coming back. Celebrate it! It'll settle down in time. NOT. She said its definitely not the drug, increase to 1.25 and let's see if we can't get you some relief from your withdrawal symptoms. Desperate for relief from the sx, Dumb me said ok.....

I increased the dose to 1.0 mg plus 3 drops , 2 days ago.

Now I'm rethinking it.....

It COULD definitely BE pgad... It's pretty much an intense around the clock arousal that can't be relieved.... I have had episodes of trying to find relief that lasted for hours. An episode the other night (2 hrs) left me with a nasty heat/ sweat rash in between the buttock cheeks ( very uncomfortable)

So if it's pgad (Add that to my already huge anxiety and panick attacks and it's sending me over the edge) what do I do about it?

Immediately discontinue the 1 mg + 3 drops of Prozac?

I have noticed that the craving for sweets and the intense arousal coincides with reinstating Prozac ( fluoxetine). It wasn't immediate. I did have the uncomfortable feeling In my uterus previous to that it without the arousal feeling.

This whole PAW, discontinuation thing has taken my reasonable mind by the wayside.

I decreased the phenyl gaba from 1/2 tsp to 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp a few nights ago

• Administrator

That does sound like PGAD. How are you doing now that you've reduced Phenyl GABA?

I would keep the Prozac dosage steady.

After months of this horrific anxiety, akasthesia, paranoia, strangeness and family daily wanting to commit me, a couple of er psychiatric visits and short of letting them commit me, I agreed to family begging me to take drugs, docs statement that brain is in a severe state and we need to settle you down, , I agreed to a 6.25 mg dose x 3 days then increase to 12.50mg Seroquel temporarily

Had a couple of good sleeps was calmer but today my body is reacting big time.

Akasthesia worse,

Doc said if I have prob with increased dose,(she was thinking drowsiness) go back to 6.25mg. I've only been on this drug 3 days.. Can I stop it cold Turkey?

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd go back to 6.25mg. Maybe it will help.

It takes about 4 days for a drug to fully take effect. Your doctor did not give the lower dose enough time to see if it would cause an adverse effect.

If the symptoms do not reduce after a couple of days on 6.25mg, I would go to 3mg and see if that's beneficial.

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you're saying things were a little better when you added 6.25mg seroquel , but that 12.5mg seems worse.

Perhaps consider sticking with the 6.25 for a while.  

It takes 4 days to get to a steady-state in your bloodstream , so you may have continued to improve on that dose.  

You could stop it completely given that it's been only 4 days , but then you won't get any ongoing benefit to help you through the next weeks and months.

How are the pgad symptoms at the moment?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Are you familiar with Seroquel helping withdrawal or was this just another bad idea?!

• Moderator Emeritus

I was given seroquel when I was very sick and it helped me.    

From what I read on this site , seroquel (quietapine) is used fairly commonly as an adjunct to ad's - it's sedating in small doses and anti-psychotic at larger doses.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Doc said I may feel funny because the body isn't used to relaxation....

How long and at what dose did you take Seroquel? What was your experience on it? What did it help?

• Moderator Emeritus

I was put onto 500mg a day , which I reduced over about 3 months - it was very sedating for me.  

It dampened the akathisia , and I took it at much lower doses until my akathisia stopped.  I still have some which I may use if akathisia were to come back , but it's been a year now.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

At what lower dose did you take it? And for how long?

The pgad is still there, some days worse than others...

• Moderator Emeritus

Just checked my notes . . . I was put onto 500mg a day (not 300)  on May 23 , and was took my last dose of 75mg on September 29.  I did a clumsy but effective titration on the way down.  

This is how it went down:

"Seroquel:   d/c on 500mg on 26 May.

5 June - 300mg nocte

7 June - 75mg at noon , 300mg nocte

8 June - 6pm 150mg , then 7:13pm another 150mg

9 June - 4pm 75mg ,  5:30pm 75mg ,  6:30pm 300mg , 9pm 150mg

10 June - 11:30am 75mg , 2:45pm 75mg , 6:20pm 75mg , 9:30pm 75mg   Noted that aka less intense since

stopping mirt

11 June - 2:30 pm 75mg , 4:10pm 75mg , 7:30pm 150mg , 11pm 150mg   Noted - NO aka last night   :D

12 June - 11:30am 75mg , 2:30pm 75mg ( noted aka in arms/back/scared it will blow up) 4:30pm 150mg ,

5:30pm 150mg , 6:00pm 150mg , 8:30pm 150mg

It goes on like that , I see I was trying to use the lowest dose possible in divided doses.

19 June 7:30am 75mg , 1:30pm 75mg , 10:30pm 150mg

1 July    9:00pm 300mg 

16 July  11:30am 75mg , 5:30pm 75mg , 11:15pm 150mg

29 July  (Started pristiq.)  10:00pm 150mg   (none during the day)

14 August  11:30pm 150mg   no daytime doses till 26th 

26 August   I was switched to SR. 150mg nocte

20 Sept.  ( had been decreasing  Ativan since June , last dose .25mg 16 Sept.)  9:30pm 75mg (SR)

30 Sept.    Day 1 of  no  Seroquel"

I remember the having the type of experience you describe in the past - not quite as intense as full-on pgad , but not normal functioning nevertheless.

I used to think of it as "the elusive orgasm" . . . so annoying.  

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Did you experience withdrawal from the Seroquel?

At what dose did you complete the withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

"   26 August   I was switched to SR. 150mg nocte

20 Sept.  ( had been decreasing  Ativan since June , last dose .25mg 16 Sept.)  9:30pm 75mg (SR)

30 Sept.    Day 1 of  no  Seroquel"

I went from 150mg down to 75mg on 20 September , then stopped it from 29 September.

I had joined SA as i was getting sick in Jan. 2014 , then couldn't go on a computer for about 6 months , so I was feeling my way without the benefit of this site.   I was lucky that I had no withdrawal from the seroquel.  That was the first time in my life I had taken an antipsychotic . . .-  don't know if that made any difference or not.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Mentor

Hi Hangingon, we all react to drugs differently, I am on seroquol, and I use it to take the edge off my withdrawals, but it was already one of my previous meds, so basically the last one I am giving up.  I can not just stop taking it, but it does allow me to sleep at night, and has allowed me to stablise a bit...............  it also gives me an appetite.......

If it is helping, take it at the dose that helps you.............  6.25 mg might be the right dose, try it for a couple of weeks, then see how you feel.

You sound like you are getting better, reading through your posts............ that is good.         One day I will go back and read my own thread, and I think I will see how far I have improved.

Best wishes!

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

The Seroquel is helping sleep, occasionally allowing me to settle and relax in the day for brief periods of time

BUT the akasthesia and anxiety,depression are still so severe that I am barely functioning!!

Dr shipko, I believe is his name says that benzo is the only way to treat the akasthesia.

I really don't want to do benzo again,risk paradoxical reaction, dependence and withdrawal as one can't take it indefinitely.

I don't know if my protracted wd symptoms are from the ssri Prozac, Effexor, gabapentin or benzo use

• Administrator

Hangingon, if you could post more consistently, it would help us understand what's going on with you.

What drugs, supplements, and dosages are you taking now?

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom and sleep pattern relative to when you take your drugs, etc.

What do you mean by akathisia? We see many people here deal with akathisia without benzos.

It's very possible going on and off drugs and dosage changes have made your nervous system hypersensitive to psychoactive drugs and substances, which is why you're having odd reactions to Seroquel etc.

Taking 1 3/4 tsp inositol, 1/4 tsp phenyl gaba, 6.25 mg quetiepine (Seroquel) at bedtime

4 omega 3, 2000 vit d

Akasthesia: severe anxiety, inner shaking, pacing, weak legs, shaky,quivery legs,shaky, quivery arms, inner restlessness so bad I want to come out of my skin. Don't think it's restless legs as it is doesn't just happen at bedtime

Still experiencing pgad

Still brain zinging

Sleep is somewhat improved w the addition of Seroquel

It's 1 yr off benzo this month

Fear s still extreme, reality still bizarre :(

• Administrator

Did reducing the Seroquel have any effect on your symptoms?

Hard to tell if decreasing Seroquel helped anything... Some days it seems to settle me and allow me some sleep

BUT...

I am feeling so desperate! I hVe no quLity of life after stopping these meds!perhaps I am one of the few that just can't make it without them .... I am debilitated and all the new psychiatric symptoms that appeared after stopping them is awful. I've been off long enough that it should be improving rather than getting worse.

I appreciate the support.

i am suicidal without the meds, take the drugs have side effects vs don't take the drugs and die?

Some choice!!

Hanging on..this is quite early days as I understand..

I feel the same totally crap on the meds, wondering how I'm going to make it without..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

I don't believe your assumption that you should be recovered by now is correct.

Doc says up the Seroquel to 12.5 and stay there for a bit . Don't go back and forth ,which I know

In such a state of hopeless desperation

My kids are returning to town w 1 yr old that will live w us... Oh boy... How do I do this?

Need to get system stabilized