Hangingon: Returning symptoms,desperate, reinstate?

Hangingon

I am feeling so desperate! I have no quality of life after stopping these meds!perhaps I am one of the few that just can't make it without them ...

I know that antidepressants dont cure depression but they sure do assist with the symptoms..

I am debilitated and all the new psychiatric symptoms that appeared after stopping them is awful. I've been off long enough that it should be improving rather than getting worse.

i am suicidal without the meds, take the drugs have side effects vs don't take the drugs and die?

Some choice!!

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Still experiencing disabling symptoms.

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

August 28: increased Prozac to 1.5 mg hoping for some relief.

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hangingon

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HO ,  how long since you reinstated 1mg proxac and quietapine?      Any changes at all?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yes, it is possible even 1mg can relieve symptoms, that is why we suggest it.

If you want to try more but feel wary of going to 2mg, you might try 1.5mg.

Are you taking the liquid? You taper off by decreasing by tiny amounts.

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.

It's true that a tiny dosage can relieve symptoms. I'm taking 10 mgs of latuda and it's relieved pain and debilitating depression symptoms. 10 mgs is a neglible, nontherapeutic dose unrecognized by.psych community.

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.

Prozac in June, quetiepine a couple of weeks ago

Prozac initially seemed to help a tad, quetiepine a tad but not enough to affect quality of life

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a really good sign that you got some relief when you reinstated prozac @ 1mg.  

For what it's worth , my symptoms were at their peak by 11 months after I stopped cymbalta in 2013.  Don't give yourself a hard time because you believe you SHOULD be seeing improvement . . . it's different for everyone.

The aim is to sit on the lowest dose possible that you get relief from severe withdrawal symptoms , without setting off new side-effects.  It takes a little trial and error sometimes.

If you were going to increase seroquel , you could try half-way between 6.25 and 12.5?

If that doesn't help after at least a week , you could still try increasing the prozac to 1.5mg. 

There are no guarantees , and it may even bring the pgad back , but it's an option to consider.

Best not to do both at the same time , because you won't be able to tell which is having what effect. 

:blush:

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Seeing psych doc again next week...to up dose seroquel &/or fully reinstate on new antidepressant....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey HO , how have things been the past week?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Same ole same ole, thanks for asking. Still in desperation,suicidal mode

Read about lamotrigine...wish I would have read that before reinstating Prozac and addingg seroquel!

Wondering if I can try the lamotrigine

• Administrator

Perhaps you'd like to try 1.5mg Prozac? Why do you think increasing Seroquel will help?

How has your rash been?

Jumping to 10mg might cause that rash reaction again, which is quite dangerous.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Not going to jump to 10 mg Prozac not sure where you got that from.... Psych asked me to think about taking more, stopping it completely or trying something else.... I have to make a decision by Thursday.

Quality of life decision.

Seroquel has helped with sleep, doc says still a minimal dose why won't you try 12.5 mg? At this dose, side effects are minimal.

Everyone in my care team, family, etc, are desperate to find me some relief

Like I said, the anxiety or akathesia (whatever it is) is so intense . Seriously intense. I have intense suicidal rages several times throughout the day (suicidal ideation was never a problem I encountered before)

I don't know how others are surviving this.

Also wondering about coming off low dose 6.25 mg taken for 4 weeks to help w sleep and to stabilize withdrawal. I am stabilizing...wondering how long to take it

Doc says antihistamine properties there will be NO withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Also wondering about coming off low dose 6.25 mg taken for 4 weeks to help w sleep and to stabilize withdrawal. I am stabilizing...wondering how long to take it

Moved to your intro thread as this pertains more to your personal journey and you will get more responses there.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Moved to your intro thread as this pertains more to your personal journey and you will get more responses there.

Doesn't it pertain to this thread too? Where do I find my intro thread?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, this is your intro thread.  I moved merged your last post with this one.  You did fine.  :wub:

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hello Hanging On, Im very sorry your having to go through this. Many of us have suffered the exact same symptoms. The suicidal urges were by far the worst part of my withdrawal. They lasted about 3 months and are now completely gone! Your body is just trying to stabilize now and with time your symptoms are gonna get way better! I cant advise you on reinstating as It seems to be very tricky. I was suffering so bad at 7 months when I found this site and figured out is was withdrawal I was suffering from.I was way too terrifed to reinstate the drug so I give you credit for the courage. If your symptoms are lessening than great! Time will heal all your pain. Everybody gets way better, hang in there.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Trying 1.5 mg Prozac....

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for letting us know hangingon. It will take about 4 days before it reaches a stable level, then you will know if the increase is helping, please keep us updated.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

This is day 3 and I'm having a rough day...high anxiety but don't know if it's from the increase or from my damn fears or just the usual intense anxiety!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it ok to add the magnesium with the Prozac 1.5 mg (soon increasing it to 2.0), 6.25 Seroquel, the small amount of inositol and gamba that I am decreasing or is it best to,wait until off the inositol and baba before adding something else?

My anxiety and physical,weakness in the legs are still so intense

• Moderator Emeritus

Its best not to make more than one change in drugs or supplements at one time because if you have a reaction, you wont know what caused it.

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Ok,thx

Increased Prozac to 2.0 mg this morning. Sure hope it'll help

• 3 weeks later...

Now at 4.0 mg .. Feeling really tired and anxious about this reinstatement... Not sure if it's helping or not.... So desperate to have this settle down!

Interested in others success , experience w reinstatement