Ibid

David Healy's BMJ editorial getting wide coverage

Ibid

David Healy's recent editorial, "Serotonin and Depression: the Marketing of a Myth," in the British Medical Journal, has been picked up and commented upon by lots and lots of media outlets, many of them quite respectable (i.e. mainstream) and most of them quite respectful of his critique of SSRI hegemony. One thing he says in the editorial that I wasn't aware of is that theories of depression which included the role of cortisol were swept aside by the SSRI sales blitz. Also, in the mainstream media coverage, the defensiveness of some of his critics from within psychiatry was quite satisfying.

westcoast

Hey, nice summation. The SMC experts were like an SNL skit.

also: Have you read the responses posted on BMJ after the article? A cortisol guy weighed in.

Ibid

Have you read the responses posted on BMJ after the article? A cortisol guy weighed in.

I hadn't but have now. Would have included the link to these comments if I'd known they were accessible to the public. Thanks.

westcoast

Thanks for adding that link. I don't see the "cortisol guy" comment there. Sorry, and thanks for your charitable failure to mention that in your reply.

Wherever it is, the guy was Dr. Bernard Carroll, noted responder to people still dumb enough to rant about psychiatry on 1boringoldman.com and the rest of extant written material on earth. If anyone left a pamphlet about eczema on the moon I'd check that, too. I'm pretty sure there was something from the 1990s, which I'll add to the thread next time I happen across it. (When? Picture a dog chasing its tail near a cliff. I might be back in a few minutes, or it might be several months, after a "lengthy recuperation.")

He listed links like this, which is one of his publications.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=5011224

"Over 40% [of 60 patients] of the depressed patients had UFC excretions in the range seen in Cushing's disease, while only 6% [of 35 patients] of the other patients excreted such high amounts of Cortisol."

Cortisol mentioned by Shirwan Mirza, who said in a long, worthy comment that it's the only known biomarker for a DSM diagnosis.

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h1771/rr-12

In sum, I went on quite the meander trying to find the BMJ response I was thinking of when I replied originally; if I'd followed every intriguing path I'd still be doing this tomorrow. This blog post has several new branch points.

http://davidhealy.org/theres-something-about-mary/

The relevance to cortisol is Dr. Healy, in a comment, saying the abandonment of cortisol/depression work is covered in Shorter & Fink's book, "Endocrine Psychiatry, Solving the Riddle of Melancholia." It's expensive, so it's worth branching off to find reviews and summations, but not for me at the moment. I'm going to look for the documentary by "Irene" in another comment. ;)

This is the S&F book:

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/endocrine-psychiatry-9780199737468?cc=us〈=en&

Ibid

Thanks very much for meandering, westcoast. My interest in cortisol is that it was suggested as a reason why, having taken my last AD a couple of months ago, I'm having trouble sleeping past dawn. Also very much hoping the SSRI paradigm is shifting. 

westcoast

I and many others had that too. I'd wake up at 4 or 5 am having finally fallen asleep around 2 or 3am. Plus being in an inexplicable state or dread/terror/regret doom. No way to fall asleep. It went away after 2 years. I hope you don't have that! I'd never felt anything like it, not even during many months when my surviving a serious disease was unlikely. That was sadness and fear, or grief and terror. The WD thing is inhuman. People here think it has something to do with cortisol. I like "brain damage" because it covers everything.

Post back if you find anything in your own for ways, please. BTW I turned a corner 5-6 months ago. One day I noticed I hadn't felt the dread for a few days. Haven't felt it since. If there's an explain other than time it was MCGs, a kind of oil, I'd started that about ten days before the day I noticed the dread was gone. Magnesium and the other stuff people tout on this site made no difference for me.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

Ibid

The WD thing is inhuman. People here think it has something to do with cortisol. I like "brain damage" because it covers everything...BTW I turned a corner 5-6 months ago. One day I noticed I hadn't felt the dread for a few days. Haven't felt it since. If there's an explain other than time it was MCGs, a kind of oil, I'd started that about ten days before the day I noticed the dread was gone. Magnesium and the other stuff people tout on this site made no difference for me.

Glad you've kicked the dreads. My best thoughts to the westcoaster from the midwest. (I'm originally from both the Bay area and Wisconsin so I was glad to hear from you.)

I like "brain damage" too, but it has the ring of permanence so "withdrawal" is a more correct term, I think. -_- I'm knocking on wood as I tell you that I don't seem to have a bad case of dread, just run-of-the mill anxiety--at least not this week--but that may be because I have a 1 mg lorazepam-before-bed habit, which is my next and final taper, i.e. craziness is probably just around the corner.

Peace

westcoast

benzos did work the odd time I got my mitts on any.

brain damage does sound permanent. how about maladaptive alterations to cerebral morphology of unknown duration?

Ibid

lol.  You left out the important buzzword though: maladaptive iatrogenic alterations...

westcoast

Sorry. Brain damage.

LoveandLight

West coast can you provide any links for link oil you used please. I cannot find anything.

Thank you

Rhiannon

Sorry. Brain damage.

HA! :-)