Raquel: Zoloft has affected me

Raquel

I've been on Zoloft for about a month now I got on because I have suffered with major depression for about 4 years. I have tried different medications. None have helped. I had hope this one would..well it has made me feel no emotion but anger. Ive been in a relationship for almost a year now with an amazing guy who treats me amazing and always there for me. We where best friends for over 3 years. I love him very much but for the past week all of sudden I felt like I was going crazy. Nothing but anger. Towards him and my family. My love has lessened. I don't know what to do. When I look at him I still feel something for him I still feel love. But it has lessened. I know you can't just stop loving someone out of no where. I don't know what to do I feel horrible I have nothing's but anxiety and I'm always feeling irritable...I can't take it. I treat him very badly but I can't control it.i yell at everybody. I let my anger out on everybody and lash out. I don't know what to do. I need someone's advice I want to feel the way I did a week ago happy joyful in love. Full of emotion.

Welcome 

Would you be so kind as to advise the 'different drugs' you have been on, dosages,  and for how long and how you got off them eg i cold turkeyed them say.

This info will help people be able to give advice. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Raquel,

I'm sorry to hear that Zoloft has caused you to feel this way. I'm not surprised though. Zoloft made me depressed and Prozac gave me feelings of rage and irritability. These kinds of drugs are quite unpredictable really and more often than not, the bad effects outweigh the good effects, especially over time. Sometimes they cause people to experience extreme emotions which can lead to violence and self harm, this is quite rare, but it does happen, so I want to assure you that the sudden change in your feelings is very likely a result of the drug.

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they should only be used in extreme cases or for short times and very cautiously.

There are safer, healthier ways to manage depression.

As nz11 mentioned, we need a little more information about your drug and tapering history if we are going to be able to offer some suggestions. Tapering carefully off zoloft or lowering the dose may be all you need to do.

What dose of zoloft are you taking and what were you taking previously, did you taper off, quit CT or just switch straight over? If you could give us a more detailed drug history that would help. Are you taking any other medications?

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I took Prozac I think about 50 mg. I can't remember how long but it was bad I would scream and yell and I'd punch things too. I remember in order to calm me down my dad had to sit on me. It was horrible I also tried to commit suicide. my aunt threatened to call the cops on me. So than I was put on seraquel 200mg every night for about 3 years. They decided I should get off of it so they lowered my dosage to 150 for about a week and than a week later 50 to 0. It was horrible I got sick because my body wasn't used to that. They put me on trazadone a 10mg pill every night for about 2 weeks that made me sick. So they told me to take bendrhyl as for My insomniA 2 25mg tablets. Now they put me on Zoloft 50mg for the past 2 months Its been bad. So i take hydroxyzine 1 to 2 tablets 4 times a day with my Zoloft.

"I've been on Zoloft for about a month now I got on because I have suffered with major depression for about 4 years."

So sorry you have been put through this horror story sadly all srcipted by a doctor ...does 'they decided' refer to more than one doctor?

Definitely your drug has been your problem! imo

They have covered prozac wdl with an antipsychotic...just great. These docs should all be fired!

Here is a quote i have cut and pasted from elsewhere on this site its very applicable here.

With your history of going on and off drugs, it could very well be that what you think is major "depression" is actually a series of adverse effects -- an iatrogenic condition. If I were you, I'd minimize drugs, stabilize, and see what your real baseline might be."

iatrogenic;adjective  ; relating to illness caused by medical examination or treatment.; "drugs may cause side effects which can lead to iatrogenic disease"

The question is here how do you go about minimizing /getting off drugs when you are currently not stable...and doctors are playing clueless games of hit and miss with dangerously addictive chemicals. You no doubt are suffering wdl from seraquel, complicated also by a ct off trazadone which may well be efffecting things.
Did you ever feel stable on the seraquel you were on it for 3 yrs right?
You might like to read this thread ...this is how you should have come off seraquel

I am so sorry you are in this place.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Welcome -

Please go to "My Settings" and fill out your signature to include your drug history as best as you can.

My signature below is an example. Others who responded to you above also have good examples of a signature.

This will help others on here to better help you.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Now they put me on Zoloft 50mg for the past 2 months Its been bad.

Raquel when you say its been bad do you feel there has been any improvement at all on the zoloft?

'They' are basically trying covering the seroquel wdl with zoloft due to incorrect seroquel tapering (far too fast).

Bump

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Raquel,

How long ago did you stop taking seroquel? I'm guessing it was about 3 months ago? As nz11 has noted, you are probably in withdrawal from seroquel after having taken a high dose of it for 3 years and then 'tapered' for 3 weeks before stopping.

You had a bad reaction to Prozac, but now you are on Zoloft, which is similar to Prozac, and are having the same kinds of adverse effects. Zoloft is not going to stop seroquel withdrawal.

I think you need to look for a new doctor, one who is going to help you get off these drugs, rather than use more drugs to cover the bad effects of the previous ones.

Have a look through our recommended doctors and see if you can find one near you:

Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics

As clearday mentioned, it would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes